Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

Smith Rowe would be better in that position than Havertz.

I think I read somewhere that they’re actually training him in that role. I think he’d suit it well too, I like him but despite the season before last getting a good goal return, I could never see him ending up in the Saka Martinelli roles, and I don’t think he’s quite cut out for the Odegaard role, but that Xhaka role could work really for him, especially as he makes clever runs and is a goal threat.

With Havertz it’s handy that he could play in multiple positions too, but the prices quoted are so high. I think there’s a lot of talent there that could be unlocked, but with such a high asking price you don’t really want question marks.

Havertz is hugely underrated. If the lad is happy in England, someone is going to get a potential world class player.

Absolutely agree with this. He's a v v v good player, natural talent and will work ever so well with a good team and management around him. He would suit us, in many ways (not in all, because I do feel we could benefit from a hard-running, athletic No 9 option too..) and he would improve our quality in the last third. Sign him and another forward! : )

So he almost doubled his salary because Chelsea won the CL ? Isn't it more like a one time bonus and they include it in his total wages ?
What if they'd won it in his first year, what happens if you wants to renew him ? Offer 350/400K ? :confused:
Mokbel is also a reliable reporter who covers Chelsea though? According to him Arsenal's offer is similar to his current wage.

It's not even unrealistic, there were lot of reports that Werner was on 280k.

Lot of clubs were interested in him, so it's easy to see him getting big wages.

Also capology is poor source, as per them City spend around 200 million on wages, not sure anyone really believes that.

Absolutely agree with this. He's a v v v good player, natural talent and will work ever so well with a good team and management around him. He would suit us, in many ways (not in all, because I do feel we could benefit from a hard-running, athletic No 9 option too..) and he would improve our quality in the last third. Sign him and another forward! : )

V V V good player but you would struggle to tell me 2 on the ball attributes he has.

The prices quote for Mount and Havertz are crazy. They are coming from a struggling Chelsea team who is fairly desperate to offload. They are worth in my opinion maybe 35 and 40 respectively.

I don't know what to make of Havertz. Safe to say he has been underwhelming since his Chelsea arrival. There is a good player in there, but at 70 mil, this is a player that should start for us, and I cannot see who he would dislodge.

Real Madrid pump faked for Havertz and walked away but it actually inspired other clubs to get involved in the chase. Gracias Madrid.

I’d say Havertz is exactly the type of player Arsenal doesn’t need. They already have superior players on the wings and AM, and he can’t play forward better than Jesus.

Is it just for depth?

The way he worded it means it will most likely be 80mill euros with add-ons, i would imagine 50-60mill actual fee

For sure it’s likely £50-60M plus add-ons. Not £68M up front. Still though, we’re recouping nearly 90% of the fee we paid 3 years ago.

I’d say Havertz is exactly the type of player Arsenal doesn’t need. They already have superior players on the wings and AM, and he can’t play forward better than Jesus.

Is it just for depth?

It would be a very large change in transfer philosophy for Arsenal to pay the fee and wages Havertz will be on if he's there as a backup.

Is it just for depth?

They must want to use him as an 8 and then also function as backup to Jesus. It’s the only thing that makes sense. Rice replaces Partey and Havertz replaces Xhaka. That’s what I think they’re doing but the Arsenal fans can better explain where he fits.

It would be a very large change in transfer philosophy for Arsenal to pay the fee and wages Havertz will be on if he's there as a backup.

If teams want to compete with City, I think people need to forget the terms back up or squad player. The idea is to try and have 18/19 top players so that when 1 is out, there's not a dramatic drop off, and having players that can play in a couple of different roles can help with that.

That's how City maintain their standards, not through quantity but through quality.

They must want to use him as an 8 and then also function as backup to Jesus. It’s the only thing that makes sense. Rice replaces Partey and Havertz replaces Xhaka. That’s what I think they’re doing but the Arsenal fans can better explain where he fits.

Has he ever really played a true 8 before? I thought it was more like a 10 or deep striker that was his best position.

It was my impression that the midfield would be Partey-Rice-Ødegaard, but perhaps I’ve got that wrong.

Havertz really good player but didn't work out for us. Thank you arsenal for paying huge money for a flop player. Hope you turn him into world class player. Our headache of havertz size now over. Bye bye ffp problem as well.

Hope now chelsea keep mount as he is our only experienced attacker.

Last edited:
Has he ever really played a true 8 before? I thought it was more like a 10 or deep striker that was his best position.

It was my impression that the midfield would be Partey-Rice-Ødegaard, but perhaps I’ve got that wrong.

We signed him as 8/10. Lampard used him as an 8 before he was sacked in 2021. Pretty sure he was used as both an 8 and 10 at Leverkusen. He’s very flexible in a way and can function in several roles but also an awkward player to build around.

We signed him as 8/10. Lampard used him as an 8 before he was sacked in 2021. Pretty sure he was used as both an 8 and 10 at Leverkusen. He’s very flexible in a way and can function in several roles but also an awkward player to build around.

Yeah ok. I’d be wary of having him in a role with real defensive responsibility, but maybe that’s just me.

Definitely agree that he’s an awkward player to build around. Feel like I’ve seen him quite a bit by now, but never really seen him excel in one position.

If I was Chelsea I’d take £40-50m and run.

No idea what's going on here - doing Chelsea a favour doesn't sit right with me at all.

He did for us all the time and was excellent there.

I think the biggest issue for Havertz is that, even at Leverkusen, he didn't get to fully settle into a specific position. So now he's both a bit of everything and nothing at the same time positionally.
If I was him my main objective with a new club would be that they marry him to a specific role.

Last edited:
Seems like Arsenal can’t believe their luck aka CL money which they are seeing for the first time in 7 years and now want to spend something for all the years they missed out.

If this isn’t a lesson in selling players after one bad season instead of letting it turn into two or three like what’s happening with Sancho, then I don’t know what is. You can still recoup a massive amount of the fee if you just pull the trigger on a failed signing. I guarantee there’s someone at United who’s ego won’t allow these kind of player sales though, they’d rather hang on to a mistake instead of admit it was wrong.

I think the biggest issue for Havertz is that, even at Leverkusen, he didn't get to fully settle into a specific position. So now he's both a bit of everything and nothing at the same time positionally.
If I was him my main objective with a new club would be that they marry him to a specific role.
Jack of all trades. Master of none.

I still think that his best position would be something like what Müller is playing at Bayern.

If this isn’t a lesson in selling players after one bad season instead of letting it turn into two or three like what’s happening with Sancho, then I don’t know what is. You can still recoup a massive amount of the fee if you just pull the trigger on a failed signing. I guarantee there’s someone at United who’s ego won’t allow these kind of player sales though, they’d rather hang on to a mistake instead of admit it was wrong.

Havertz has been at Chelsea for 3 seasons though, so I don’t know if this proves what you’re saying.

I was convinced that we’d end up regretting missing out on Havertz just like we did with Eden Hazard.

Havertz had his best spell with us when he played as an 8 next to another creative midfielder and a holding CDM behind them. My best guess would be that Arteta wants him to replace Xhaka, so he can play next to Odegaard with Rice behind them. I for one would like to see it.

Havertz had his best spell with us when he played as an 8 next to another creative midfielder and a holding CDM behind them. My best guess would be that Arteta wants him to replace Xhaka, so he can play next to Odegaard with Rice behind them. I for one would like to see it.
It has to be the thinking behind it and i hope it works considering the crazy money involved. I understand fans that would rather use that money on Caicedo but as a whole we didn't defend too badly this season. What killed us is those games where we couldn't break down random midtable teams.
If Odegaard is doubled on or off his game, we barely create anything. Having Zinchenko as our second best "creator" is not ideal so maybe that's a (pricey) fix.

Premier league seems too faster for him in my opinion. Here most teams press well in middle and final third. In Bundesliga he got bit more time and space.

He seemed rushed into judgements. His height with lean structure always keep him in disadvantage when carrying ball due to higher center of gravity and losing balance.

He will never achieve greatness if he plays in midfield in pl. If arsenal want to use him there then they will be disappointed.

Just another great example of Chelsea's out-of-the-world sales department fleecing another top club. It is unbelievable how they manage to do that so consistently. The most overwhelming top-dollar player I can think of in recent times, alongside the likes of Shevchenko, Veron, Lukaku, and Sancho.

Same, that sounds like an interesting lineup

Betting this is an elaborate ruse on Arsenal's side to prevent Chelsea from hijacking their actual target again.

He is underrated. If Arteta knows how to use him in midfield (AM/CM hybrid), he can fullfill his potential. Chelsea have made some players look bad the last year or two.

Betting this is an elaborate ruse on Arsenal's side to prevent Chelsea from hijacking their actual target again.
This doesn't really work now Arsenal are about to smash their transfer record on a long term target of ours (and want another).