Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

Ha. Ok. So it's "all games that Dembele started, oh except for that one where he started as an attacking midfielder. I'm not counting that one because it goes against the bizarre criteria I am trying to prove."

I get you.

And I disagree. "Title winning form" becomes meaningless if it didn't result in actually winning the title. How can it be title winning form? Title challenging form, perhaps. But Spurs bottled it and came 3rd. Nobody associated with Spurs was in title winning form. If anyone has title winning form, it is Pogba, seeing as the Alli thread has become the Pogba vs Dembele and the skewed stats thread. He won 4 in a row as a key player in that side, and that doesn't need to be backed by some obtuse stat that conveniently greys out certain games/results.

It's like saying a player put in a match winning performance, but lost the game. There's a reason why that doesn't happen. Because it's dumb as feck.

It's not "bizarre criteria" - it's statement of statistical fact that reflects just how important Dembele was to Spurs in CM last season and illustrates why Pogba would not, as claimed, just automatically "stroll in" and displace him.

And even if you wish to include the only game that Spurs lost when Dembele started - even tho' he didn't play in CM in that game - it hardly affects the overall picture painted by those stats.

As for the rest, OK, I shall look with interest to see you challenging - because it doesn't fit with your pedantic criteria - every poster who has ever used the phrase "title winning form".

What part of me saying that Pogba was a more accomplished midfielder than Del Alli at similar ages in their career do you not understand as him being better?

If you can only compute yes or no responses then yes, but all I've tried to do is offer some context and reasoning, rather than having a narrow focus on two statistics or trying to dismiss the accomplishments of the other player which you have bizarrely tried to do with Pogba, despite never seeing him play.

Its cringeworthy to pass comment on players you haven't even seen play. And then criticise others for passing comment on players they've followed their entire career. Words fail me. Where is the logic there?

Spending your bank holiday weekend making a fool of yourself on a Man United forum is a fairly futile use of your life, no?

Right. So you are saying that Pogba, in his first 6 months at Juve, exceeded Alli's performance at Spurs even tho' Alli scored 10 goals and made 11 assists? I know which one of us is making a fool of himself on this ... and it isn't me.

And as much you wish to dismiss 10 goals and 11 assists as "narrow" statistics - as if were talking merely about interceptions or ariel duels won - it doesn't wash. And nor does it mean that Alli didn't do plenty of other good things besides just score goals and make assists.

PS. I have seen Pogba play - the fact that I missed him playing at age 19 means little.

Right. So you are saying that Pogba, in his first 6 months at Juve, exceeded Alli's performance at Spurs even tho' Alli scored 10 goals and made 11 assists? I know which one of us is making a fool of himself on this ... and it isn't me.

And as much you wish to dismiss 10 goals and 11 assists as "narrow" statistics - as if were talking merely about interceptions or ariel duels won - it doesn't wash. And nor does it mean that Alli didn't do plenty of other good things besides just score goals and make assists.

PS. I have seen Pogba play - the fact that I missed him playing at age 19 means little.
Do you believe it matters long term that (in your opinion) Alli's the better/more proven/whatever player at 19 than Pogba was?

If you're comparing them playing at age 19 and you missed Pogba playing at that age it means quite a lot.

It's not "bizarre criteria" - it's statement of statistical fact that reflects just how important Dembele was to Spurs in CM last season and illustrates why Pogba would not, as claimed, just automatically "stroll in" and displace him.

And even if you wish to include the only game that Spurs lost when Dembele started - even tho' he didn't play in CM in that game - it hardly affects the overall picture painted by those stats.

As for the rest, OK, I shall look with interest to see you challenging - because it doesn't fit with your pedantic criteria - every poster who has ever used the phrase "title winning form".

It is a bizarre criteria. Some here were saying Schneiderin deserved praise last season because he seemed to accrue a stat mid way through the season that when he played, we rarely lost, or even conceded shots on target. It was rightly shot down as nonsense because it's a totally skewed view on form, and you're whittling it down to it all being due to that one player, and not the team as a whole. A stat like that doesn't prove anything. There's so much it doesn't take in to account.

And you're right. I guess it is pedantic to expect "title winning" to mean a run of form that results in winning the title. I am so pernickety, expecting words to mean what they're supposed to mean. Besides, I genuinely can't remember seeing anyone use title-winning form to relate to a player or team who didn't win the title anyway. And to be fair, it wasn't the reason why I responded to you. It was just an additional comment. I responded because you had claimed something to be fact that wasn't fact. Then you moved the goalposts. Again, the pedant I am expecting a fact to be a fact.

Regardless. Form, stats, filtered criteria aside; in reality, no football club would break the world transfer record for a player to then have him try to dislodge a player like Moussa Dembele from minutes off the bench and League Cup games. However you want to paint it Dembeles importance, Pogba would walk straight into everyone's midfield. If Madrid bought him, he would be dislodging one of Kroos or Modric, despite them both being arguably more suited to Madrid's style of play and complimenting of each other. No two ways about it.

Do you believe it matters long term that (in your opinion) Alli's the better/more proven/whatever player at 19 than Pogba was?

It's hard to say. Some players kick on and improve as they get older, some don't. Pogba clearly has. It's obviously good that Alli has shown such potential at a young age, but whether he will go on to fully realise that potential is yet to be seen.

If you're comparing them playing at age 19 and you missed Pogba playing at that age it means quite a lot.

But not enough to outweigh 10 goals and 11 assists.

Why ask the question about whether a 19 year old Pogba showed more promise than a 19 year old Alli if whatever anyone says is not enough to outweigh 10 goals and 11 assists?

It's hard to say. Some players kick on and improve as they get older, some don't. Pogba clearly has. It's obviously good that Alli has shown such potential at a young age, but whether he will go on to fully realise that potential is yet to be seen.
It is, which is why I'm wondering why you seemed to argue the exact opposite with Martial and Kane. You basically full on dismissed Martial being the better and more talented of the two at 19 as irrelevant because Kane at 22 is better. On the other hand you're vehemently arguing 19 year old Alli being better than 19 year old Pogba despite 22 year old Pogba being better? Why does Alli v Pogba matter so much to you if Kane v Martial didn't?

Comparing two players when you haven't watched them play is asinine. You don't know what Pogba's role and duties were for Juventus during his age 19 season and are then comparing him to a player that played behind the striker, a position where you should be generating assists and goals.

Imo comparing Pogba to Alli makes no sense as they don't play the same position. Renato Sanches is a more comparable talent to Pogba, because they both play a more box-to-box role whereas Alli plays further up the pitch.

I'm not making a fool of myself because I don't feel the need to disparage a talented young player. Unlike you and Pogba, I have watched Dele Alli and recognise him as a top talent. I'm not so insecure and bitter that I can't accept this. I simply think Pogba was (and indeed is) a more accomplished midfielder. Dele Alli is more directly comparable to a player like Kaka or Silva, rather than Pogba.

Pogba won the Golden Boy award in 2013, which recognises the best young player in world football. He also won the best player at the 2013 U-20 World Cup (which France won). I'm not just making up how good he was.

If you don't want to take my word for it, how about looking at some quotes about Pogba's first season at Juventus.

Adam Digby, ESPN:
“More than mere platitudes or empty plaudits, consider this: despite boasting the likes of Marchisio, Vidal & Pirlo, Pogba has created a role for himself in the Juventus midfield. Enough said.”

Opta stats 2012/13:
"Pogba has created more chances from open play this season in Serie A than Kaka and Marek Hamsik"

Pogba 2012/13 season review from IBWM:
His year hasn’t all been about scoring a series of willy-fizzing goals, but that’s undeniably been a part of a quite spectacular 12 months. He has forced his way in the starting midfield for one of the most exciting teams in Europe, stepped up into the full international team (and scored his first goal for France against Belarus), won the Supercoppa and the Scudetto, and become instrumental in Juve’s excellent start to this season.
Yes he can hit a ball goalwards at a speed that would make Usain Bolt blush, but he can also find the pass others can’t. You can see a bit of Paul ‘Radar’ Scholes in his range, particularly around the penalty area where’s he’s got the little scoop perfected. Over distance he’s just as good, a little prone to trying to hit the spectacular when the simple may have been a better option, but that will come with experience. He’s also a ferocious tackler, his height and frame make him an imposing site anyway but there’s a timing there that perhaps the aforementioned Mr Scholes lacked.
He’s a rock in front of the back four, a menace in midfield and a huge danger in attack

The reason I believe Pogba to be better is because he was the full package. Yes, he scored spectacular goals, yes he created more chances than even the likes of Kaka and Hamsik. These are things Dele Alli has also excelled at. But Pogba also mixed this up with ferocious tackling, physical presence and a total dominance of midfield from the edge of his own box to the edge of his opponent's. The ultimate midfield general.

:lol:

I have said many times your arguments are full of holes. Used crap site to prove Dembele was the best box to box midfielder when the said crap site was full of nonsense.

Use goals and assists stat to judge full back.

Use goals and assists stat to judge a player who played behind striker for most of the season to the midfielder who played part of midfield 3. Also the same goal assist stat is just nonsense as proved by Gibson, Xavi and Iniesta comparison.

Again you use goal and assists stat to prove Alli had better season as a 19 year old but then go on to say Dembele was the best box to box midfielder when his goal + assists output was behind Herrera. If I search for just 1 min I can find many more midfielders who scored more goals and made more assists then Dembele. So by your logic Dembele wasn't even in top 10 midfielders in the league.

The reason I believe Pogba to be better is because he was the full package. Yes, he scored spectacular goals, yes he created more chances than even the likes of Kaka and Hamsik. These are things Dele Alli has also excelled at. But Pogba also mixed this up with ferocious tackling, physical presence and a total dominance of midfield from the edge of his own box to the edge of his opponent's. The ultimate midfield general.

But goals and assists....

I believe one day he will say CB X is better than Y because X scored more goals. I'm sure about it.

Everything else aside it seems futile to compare Pogba and Alli's career path. Pogba found himself in a very unique situation at United that resulted in, rightly or wrongly, him not getting any meaningful playing time in our first team. He then went to Juve and forced himself in to a side with Pirlo, Vidal, etc. Alli had to beat out Mason? Bentaleb? to get playing time.

Alli is clearly very talented but to say simply because he played more first team football and thus had the stats he did at the same stage in their career doesn't really mean a whole lot when you take in to account all other factors.

Also, who really cares?

Why ask the question about whether a 19 year old Pogba showed more promise than a 19 year old Alli if whatever anyone says is not enough to outweigh 10 goals and 11 assists?

Originally I didn't ask the question. I simply gave my opinion - with supporting reasons - that Alli at the age of 19 had shown at least as much potential as Pogba at the same age. This view then caused howls of outrage ... since of course the god-like Pogba must always have been better at 19 than Alli was last season, especially now that he's returned to United for a world-record fee.

Comparing two players when you haven't watched them play is asinine. You don't know what Pogba's role and duties were for Juventus during his age 19 season and are then comparing him to a player that played behind the striker, a position where you should be generating assists and goals.

Imo comparing Pogba to Alli makes no sense as they don't play the same position. Renato Sanches is a more comparable talent to Pogba, because they both play a more box-to-box role whereas Alli plays further up the pitch.

Many on here a quite happy to tell me that Pogba showed more potential at 19 than Alli did last season. How many of them watched all of Pogba's games in his first 6 months at Juve? And how many of them also watched all of Alli's games for Spurs last season? What's sauce for the goose ...

As for the positon, some on here tell me he's an AM, some a CM. If you all can't make up your own minds about it, then ....

Many on here a quite happy to tell me that Pogba showed more potential at 19 than Alli did last season. How many of them watched all of Pogba's games in his first 6 months at Juve? And how many of them also watched all of Alli's games for Spurs last season? What's sauce for the goose ...

As for the positon, some on here tell me he's an AM, some a CM. If you all can't make up your own minds about it, then ....

They likely watched more of Pogba than you did almost and given that many fans here watch neutral PL matches and Tottenham challenged for the title deep into last season it's likely they've seen quite a decent amount of Alli, though not as much as you. Either way commenting and comparing a player you freely admit you didn't watch when he was 19 and didn't play the same position to Alli makes zero sense.

I'm usually reluctant to make definite statements, but in this case, come on. It takes you about 2 minutes of watching both to decide who the clearly superior footballer is. I'm baffled you're all still engaged in this nonsense discussion with Glaston.
Nobody would give a rat's poo about Alli if he weren't a british player.

I'm not making a fool of myself because I don't feel the need to disparage a talented young player. Unlike you and Pogba, I have watched Dele Alli and recognise him as a top talent. I'm not so insecure and bitter that I can't accept this. I simply think Pogba was (and indeed is) a more accomplished midfielder. Dele Alli is more directly comparable to a player like Kaka or Silva, rather than Pogba.

Pogba won the Golden Boy award in 2013, which recognises the best young player in world football. He also won the best player at the 2013 U-20 World Cup (which France won). I'm not just making up how good he was.

If you don't want to take my word for it, how about looking at some quotes about Pogba's first season at Juventus.

Adam Digby, ESPN:

Opta stats 2012/13:

I appreciate your providing the above info, but let's leave it here ... not least because it's comparing apples to oranges when it comes to balancing the really good goals and assists stats of Alli - who was also voted Young Prem Player of the Year let's remember - with Pogba's Golden Boy (and other) awards and his emergence into Juve's team.

It's time to let this thread return to discussing Alli as he is now and might become this season. Will his excellent potential develop further, as with Pogba, or will he stagnate or even regress? We shall see.

Originally I didn't ask the question. I simply gave my opinion - with supporting reasons - that Alli at the age of 19 had shown at least as much potential as Pogba at the same age. This view then caused howls of outrage ... since of course the god-like Pogba must always have been better at 19 than Alli was last season, especially now that he's returned to United for a world-record fee.
No you covered it later with this little sidestep
You went on a rant about how Pogba only played it safe with sideways passing and that was how he had higher pass percentages than Dele. How you hoped we would buy him and how hard he had to work to get into Spirs side.
It turned out Pogba actually played more forward passes than Alli so now you reverted to this misdirection to mask your rdiculous opening gambit.
Read your scouting report of Pogba from last season about being a lazy player. He has no drive and plays safe passes compared to what @Kraftwerker just posted.
This is a shambles.

Adam Digby, ESPN:

Opta stats 2012/13:

Some posts from the now locked Pogba thread from when he was 19 at Juventus.

@Revan - October2012

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-pogba.278058/page-184

It's very difficult to judge from outside but I think that SAF had a part here. He said that if he won't play Pogba then he will leave. And then played him about 3 times as sub, while started Rafael's or Park in center midfield. It has been discussed to death, but I think that if SAF really wanted him here (and believed that Pogba can become a world class player), he should have played him more often and thus convince him to stay here. Look at Powell, he has now play as much as Pogba for the first team.

Pogba is becoming brilliant. One of my best mates is Juve fan, and he really thinks that he played every time superb this season. Also, he is convinced that he can displace one of their three first midfielders this season and take their position.

And today's match was pure class. He basically did what Pirlo does in dictating the game, and Pirlo was on the pitch but as a peripheral figure. Also, Pogba's shooting, dribbling and finishing were poor class. In fact in a moment he caught a ball with a first touch that even Berba would have been proud.
Again a superb performance from him. Not only he scored a goal which wasn't allowed (thought it wasn't that much a clear foul), and he hit the bar from 20 meters and then scored the winner, but he was at the center of everything. Practically he was the playmaker in Juve's side, and Pirlo was in game. Best player on the pitch by a big distance.

Chances are that his departure could be Ferguson's biggest mistake in player's management. He really reminded me tonight of Keane/Vieira.

Article from November 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20210274

When Pogba signed for Juventus in the summer, many within the Italian media were disappointed that the club had not bought Marco Verratti, the teenage Italy international recognised as 'the new Pirlo' who would eventually leave Pescara for Paris Saint-Germain in a £10m deal.

There was anger that one of the country's best prospects had left and the champions were placing their trust in a foreigner. "Watch Pogba," advised Juve's general manager Beppe Marotta.

In a short space of time, Pogba has convinced everyone. Tall but good on the ball, drawing comparisons with Patrick Vieira and Marcel Desailly, he was described as being "on another level" by Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon after one training session.

A man-of-the-match performance against Bologna last week, when he had a goal disallowed, saw a shot hit the post, started a move that led to his side's opener and then got a precious winner himself two minutes into injury time, left many in no doubt that Pogba is an exceptional talent.

"The problem isn't playing him. The problem is leaving him out," GB Olivero wrote in La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Juventus did just that for Saturday's Derby d'Italia with Inter. Pogba was left on the bench as Juve's 49-game unbeaten run in Serie A came to an end. "Inevitably now, you can't but think what Pogba might have been able to give," La Gazzetta dello Sport added.

Another chance should come when Juventus play Danish side FC Nordsjaelland in the Champions League on Wednesday. "I came here to play," Pogba explained. [Michel] Platini and [Zinedine] Zidane are Juve's history. I want to be the future."

After Giuseppe Rossi and Gerard Pique left Old Trafford for Villarreal and Barcelona respectively, he certainly gives the impression of being another star that United fans will unfortunately see shine elsewhere.

"Will Ferguson curse not having kept [Pogba] at Manchester?" asked La Gazzetta. "Very probably, yes."

But none of this matters anyway as...."10 goals and 11 assists"

@Revan - October2012

I watched Juve quite a lot that season (cause of my mate and so we watched Juve and United matches together) and yep, he was brilliant most of the time. Interesting to see how my mate's prediction that Pogba will get the place of one of their three midfielders became true a few months later, when Pogba displaced Marchisio, a player with whom we were getting linked those days and who was mentioned as being close to world class.

@Revan - October2012

Do you not think it's not possible to also find glowing reports about Alli last season? Or do you imagine he was voted Young Player of the Year for little reason?

Anyhow, as I've said in post #700 it's time to leave it here and let this thread return to discussing Alli as he is now and might become this season.

No you covered it later with this little sidestep
You went on a rant about how Pogba only played it safe with sideways passing and that was how he had higher pass percentages than Dele. How you hoped we would buy him and how hard he had to work to get into Spirs side.
It turned out Pogba actually played more forward passes than Alli so now you reverted to this misdirection to mask your rdiculous opening gambit.
Read your scouting report of Pogba from last season about being a lazy player. He has no drive and plays safe passes compared to what @Kraftwerker just posted.
This is a shambles.

I gave my opinion about Alli's potential (compared to Pogba at the same age) way before this summer ... well before the Euros and well before he was ever linked with a return to United. And your summary of my views on Pogba - as well as related info concerning Alli - leaves much to be desired.

But yes, I am glad you've spent a world record fee on him because I don't think, come the season end, he'll have lived up to the billing (and that's a big chunk of money you won't have to spend on someone else). I'm content to see whether my prediction turns out to be right as the season unfolds, whilst others it seems are desperate to prove he'll be a wildfire success in the Prem before it's even happened.

So why don't you leave it here and let's see how Pogba and Alli actually get on in the Prem this season?

Alli has started his career with a bang and has shown fantastic potential - he still has a long way to go to become a really top player though, he needs to find consistency and more composure - both should come with experience. If he continues to improve then perhaps he could have a similar career to the likes of Pogba but he still has a lot to prove.

The kid is starting to get into his groove again after what has been a poor season for him until the last few matches. For a 20 year old he is exceptional.

Played very well last couple of games. I think he has a lot of talent but is as usual getting overhyped for being English. I'm sure if a certain individual hadn't made the ludicrous comparison with Pogba this thread would be getting a lot more posts.

His stats are really good for a player so young and he's in hot form once again, but I just can't work out what about him makes him such a good talent. Is it just all in his positioning and general tactical nous?

He's still a right horrid git with petulant fouls and lashings out, though.

Really reminds me of Frank Lampard. Fantastic movement and reading of the game. Doesn't control the midfield the way a Keane or Busquets would, but comes up with decisive moments - be it a goal, an assist or a hockey assist - quite regularly. I hope he makes a move to Spain as I'd like to see his goal tally alongside someone like Neymar or Bale.

His stats are really good for a player so young and he's in hot form once again, but I just can't work out what about him makes him such a good talent. Is it just all in his positioning and general tactical nous?

He's still a right horrid git with petulant fouls and lashings out, though.

Yes I think so. He is technically accomplished without being spectacular but I think it's his decision-making that perhaps sets him apart. He's one of those players that seems to extract the maximum from the talent that he possesses.

I'm not sure who to compare him to. Without spending any time to think of a good example I'd say he's a more physically gifted but less technical Mata.

Yeah he's not really a midfielder though. Alli looks much better higher up the pitch. He'll score goals and get assists but hes not gonna control a midfield, not that sort of player.

I like Alli as a #10.

He's at his best when he's playing in the attack and not the midfield. He's a guaranteed future world class attacker if they stop continuously trying to move him around. His movement above all is what makes him such a talent. He's basically a english Thomas Muller and given how highly rated he is on this forum, its strange to see Alli not being extremely highly rated.

really good player, only 20 years old, could end up a monster

He is almost like a more basic version of Pogba, I thought Jamie Redknapp offered a very good analysis of the player recently on Sky.
He also isn't a million miles away from Gerrard in his early days.

Problem is with young English players is they tend to stagnate and / or tail off before their potential is reached.

Last time I saw him was against United and I thought he was poor then, should have been subbed before Son. He has cleaned his act up since then however.

He's at his best when he's playing in the attack and not the midfield. He's a guaranteed future world class attacker if they stop continuously trying to move him around. His movement above all is what makes him such a talent. He's basically a english Thomas Muller and given how highly rated he is on this forum, its strange to see Alli not being extremely highly rated.
There is hyperbole and then there's this. No youngster is "guaranteed" to become world class, especially one who has barely had a season and a half in top flight football and has been good but is already showing second season syndrome.

As for the Muller comparison, I really don't know what to say. Muller's movement is miles ahead of Alli.

Is he better then cleverley? He did kept pogba out during the value administration