Declan Rice

Genuine question to the arsenal fans in here watching him all the time.

From what I saw this season, his main strengths seem to pressing high up the pitch, winning it back in dangerous areas (see the Kane chance today), and carrying the ball with power up the pitch.

But whenever I watch him deep for England, his screening is great, but he struggles to play quick passes forwards. Lots of sideways, backwards stuff…

So in other words, a better 8 than a 6.

Would you lot agree having watched more of him?

From what I saw this season, his main strengths seem to pressing high up the pitch, winning it back in dangerous areas (see the Kane chance today), and carrying the ball with power up the pitch.

But whenever I watch him deep for England, his screening is great, but he struggles to play quick passes forwards. Lots of sideways, backwards stuff…

In Arsenal like you said he played as #8, Jorghino and Partey play as #6. Odegaard is the creativity hub. So at least Arteta thought he is better utilized in the #8 position.

In Arsenal like you said he played as #8, Jorghino and Partey play as #6. Odegaard is the creativity hub. So at least Arteta thought he is better utilized in the #8 position.
I.e. don't rely on him for much other than being physical.

I.e. don't rely on him for much other than being physical.
How to utilize the strength of his players is on Southgate. Rice is a known quality. His strength and his weakness. Rice is no Rodri or Jorginho in terms of passing.

Last edited:
He’s quality but today was very bad and should be called out for it. He’s no longer a young player.

He plays way too deep. He basically plays 5-10 yards in front of the defence. Can't dictate a midfield from this position.

Apart from that he looked knackered today and couldn't do the most basic things right.

I've stopped thinking about it as a straight 8 or a 6, and just think about roles and partnerships. He's a very good ball winner, either in front of the defence, or further up the pitch. He can carry it well as well. He's got good passing, but not great. So pair him with someone that can distribute to get the best out him, it's not rocket science.

He plays way too deep. He basically plays 5-10 yards in front of the defence. Can't dictate a midfield from this position.

Apart from that he looked knackered today and couldn't do the most basic things right.
Kroos does that all the time and dictates the game just fine. It’s maybe more of the latter you describe.

Kroos does that all the time and dictates the game just fine. It’s maybe more of the latter you describe.

The gulf between Kroos and Rice when it comes to deep lying play making is as big as the gulf between Usain Bolt and Laurent Blanc at the 100m dash.

The gulf between Kroos and Rice when it comes to deep lying play making is as big as the gulf between Usain Bolt and Laurent Blanc at the 100m dash.
There is a reason Jorginho is playing that role for Arsenal, and earned himself a contract extension. Kalvin Philips used to play that role for Southgate.

Last edited:
He had to babysit a clueless midfield partner and basically cover his deficiencies. Southgate completely ceded control in midfield by starting Trent there.

He looked frightened today and the nervousness is present in the team. Need to be more lions, less sheep.

I'm not surprised he looked nervous, TAA is not a natural midfielder, albeit he can ping a good pass now and again, Bellingham seems wrapped up in his own importance, so on occasion he was the only one looking to hold that midfield together. Guehi is still learning at this level, Trippier doesn't look great at LB, Foden not great on the left, Kane struggling to impose himself, so as a 'team' we are struggling.

I'm not surprised he looked nervous, TAA is not a natural midfielder, albeit he can ping a good pass now and again, Bellingham seems wrapped up in his own importance, so on occasion he was the only one looking to hold that midfield together. Guehi is still learning at this level, Trippier doesn't look great at LB, Foden not great on the left, Kane struggling to impose himself, so as a 'team' we are struggling.
So everybody expect him was wrong?

Rice, as i mentioned for years now, is average player who got reputation of being top class for no reason. He is still pretty young so he can develop but he is no player to give you trophies. It doesn’t matter if he plays deep or not. Quality is just not there. Yet to be said.

Not a Gooner but my girlfriend is. Watched them a lot last year.

Arsenal play far higher and control both the ball and tempo of the match.

He’s playing just a few yards in Front of the centre backs, a good 20-30 yards deeper. It’s barely comparable as a position.

Does this mean he wasn't let down by 18 year old Kobbie Mainoo against Iceland after all?

He had a bad game today . I'm not going to put it on him . That midfield has no understanding or trust .

Really shouldnt be worrying about Rice. Best player in ouropening game. He just had ah absolute stinker, worstgameseen himhave.

Its his partner is the concern as if we are goi g with Gallagher or Trent,we are doomed. Mainooisnt ready defensively tostar either,butgood bench option.

I hope Southgates hand is now forced without Shaw to move Foden to 10 and bellingham to 8 like Ive wanted for 2years

Really shouldnt be worrying about Rice. Best player in ouropening game. He just had ah absolute stinker, worstgameseen himhave.

Its his partner is the concern as if we are goi g with Gallagher or Trent,we are doomed. Mainooisnt ready defensively tostar either,butgood bench option.

I hope Southgates hand is now forced without Shaw to move Foden to 10 and bellingham to 8 like Ive wanted for 2years
He wasn't the best player in the opening game and yes he's as much a concern now as his partner. He's been lackluster.

Rice isn't the best at receiving the ball under pressure as the #6 and hence he struggled against Denmark at times. I think Southgate needs to show some courage and play either Mainoo or Wharton next to Rice and have one of them taking responsibility in the build up phase as the first receiver in midfield.

I wish Pogba got this much protection and hype by english media. Twice the player he was to rice and yet was ridiculed for every miss pass.

If you think Rice is the best player, why do you think Mainoo needs to be defensively ready?

Why do we need so many defensive minded players?

What is this weird obsession of slating Rice and over analyzing him to a degree to find a flaw? The guy is a top class player playing under one of the worst managers in the Euros. 90% of the England players look bad.

It's not. Bellingham, Saka and Guehi were comfortably the top 3 England players vs Serbia.

Thats all opinion. Personally Saka faded massively in the secondhalf in both games, Bellingham yes was excellent and Guehi possibly the best player over the two games.

What I was saying rubbish to is that Rice is as big a worry as his choice of midfield partner, he had one bad game