Declan Rice

Yeah, I get Arsenal fans saying Havertz didn't work however; he had 2 players in the squad that play the advanced 8, ESR and Viera, neither were tried because he wanted a better DLP. Initially, it was Jorginho who came in, then Partey when fit.

I rate Declan Rice as a player but I dont think he has it at the moment to play the role of picking the ball on th ehalf turn
Yeah when you look at Arsenal options in midfield the Havertz conundrum forced his hand a bit. He didn't impress in midfield and ended up doing okay as a false 9. Once Havertz was out of the equation for a midfield spot, it then became an option to bring in either Jorginho/Partey and push Rice a bit higher or to start ESR/Fabio Viera and leave Rice as the number 6. Even if you completely ignore Rice from the equation, Jorgino and Partey are more experienced and more reliable players (when fit). It will be interesting to see if Arsenal sign a midfielder this summer and see what Arteta's approach will be, as I think that will indicate how he views Rice.

ESR and Viera played a little but neither really impressed me and I don't think either is good enough for the long term. A CF is clearly the top priority this summer but I wouldn't be a surprised if they brought in some depth at midfield after that.

I thought he was brutal for the first hour - really anonymous.

What he is is very fit. As everybody else tired, he came into the game a lot more and toward the end did as much as anyone in an England shirt to drive things forwards.

A game for those who insist he is more than a holding mid.

Yes he can occasionally run forward a bit and have a shot, but his strengths are extraordinarily clear.

Judging his based on England performances in a team that is obviously setup incorrectly and poorly coached makes zero sense, when he just had one of the best PL debut season at a new club for a midfielder

Judging his based on England performances in a team that is obviously setup incorrectly and poorly coached makes zero sense, when he just had one of the best PL debut season at a new club for a midfielder

Indeed. Likewise, I'm so glad Bellingham and Foden aren't Arsenal players. :rolleyes:

You can certainly ascertain his nerve and his belief in himself and he is terrified of passing through dense areas. Not even for daring, probing passes, simply to the man ahead of him. That, and he does his utmost not to show for the ball. It’s like he’s crippled by fear more than anything else because these are not challenging tasks against good teams.

It’s hardly been technical bonanzas against elite midfielders; just very run of the mill opponents, which makes it all the more disappointing. Lord knows how much he’ll shit it vs Switzerland, who actually have some quality in their midfield.

I’m indifferent to Rice. Don’t dislike him, but he has really surprised me this tournament and not in a good way. I thought his constitution and belief in himself and his game was much higher than this.

You can certainly ascertain his nerve and his belief in himself and he is terrified of passing through dense areas. Not even for daring, probing passes, simply to the man ahead of him. That, and he does his utmost not to show for the ball. It’s like he’s crippled by fear more than anything else because these are not challenging tasks against good teams.

It’s hardly been technical bonanzas against elite midfielders; just very run of the mill opponents, which makes it all the more disappointing. Lord knows how much he’ll shit it vs Switzerland, who actually have some quality in their midfield.

I’m indifferent to Rice. Don’t dislike him, but he has really surprised me this tournament and not in a good way. I thought his constitution and belief in himself and his game was much higher than this.

We don't know what he is being asked to do or how he is being asked to play. What we can see is that he does not show these things at his club and we can also see that there are quite a few players not playing with confidence for England
Picking out individual players for criticism seems pointless when majority of the team is poor

We don't know what he is being asked to do or how he is being asked to play. What we can see is that he does not show these things at his club and we can also see that there are quite a few players not playing with confidence for England
Picking out individual players for criticism seems pointless when majority of the team is poor
He’s not being asked to hide. And passing to a teammate 10 yards away is a basic fundamental. We’re in his thread, which is why he’s being discussed. Also, it’s players held in regard who are going to be discussed, especially when they are so below par.

never expected to see this player play with fear is all. In fact, I’d expect him to be overzealous and a try-hard rather than one who wilts.

He’s not being asked to hide. And passing to a teammate 10 yards away is a basic fundamental. We’re in his thread, which is why he’s being discussed. Also, it’s players held in regard who are going to be discussed, especially when they are so below par.

never expected to see this player play with fear is all. In fact, I’d expect him to be overzealous and a try-hard rather than one who wilts.

Honestly, I must be watching a different game to some people.

This is meant to be a player hiding and playing with fear? I mean, I'm not saying it was a great performance, but not seeing what you are accusing him of?