Film Deadpool and Wolverine

I got your point, but my feeling to it was that Deadpool is quite literally an insane character whose world the reader/watcher gets a snapshot of, so the least likely character to bound to the strictures of congruence - his films don’t have to be about anything; they don’t have to link or be well threaded, so I think you’ve taken a tangent that doesn’t have to be applied, especially so when, throughout the film, they make it clear why they’re doing what they’re doing, which is a repair job on a MCU that has lost its way. They’ve told the viewer they know and are going to try and fix it. Which other film can that be done through other than the batshit world of Deadpool and its constant 4th wall breaks?

If they weren’t repeatedly telling the audience they are in on the zaniness whilst also explaining why they’re doing it, I’d even say your point holds up, but we’re being spoon-fed an apology and attempted repair, which to me, was a clever way of going about it rather than them making a film with no substance to it. So long as you laughed and were entertained, it’s a job well done. If not, then yeah there’s a problem in using the film to attempt to fix so much wrong with the universe it coexists in.
My viewpoint aswell. They done what they set out to do, very fecking well.

Haven’t watched this vid yet (just about to). Have no idea how it’s not been taken down, and it probably will be soon enough.

Curious to see how many of the Easter eggs etc I got.

My viewpoint aswell. They done what they set out to do, very fecking well.
They set out to do the best they could. They set out to make a critically sound and commercially profitable movie. That doesn't mean the movie is not mediocre.

Apart from building its entire success on other films (in this case films that isn't even MCU films)?

The motivation for anything to happen (what was that, Spidey didn't get into the university he wanted so he wanted Strange to alter the reality?) does not really hold up IMO. Then Spidey interfers with Strange doing the spell despite being told he couldn't. Roll forward Strange are doing another spell, and instead of just doing the same spell again they decide to make everyone forget, despite what was effed up the first time wasn't his particular wishes, it was that he interfered with it. Then the outcome doesn't really make much sense when Spidey talks to Iron Man's friend in front of May's grave.

I'm not gonna say I din't enjoy seeing Tobey and Willem and Alfred and so on. But I just think that isn't much to the films own merit.
I didn't like it either. As you say, the motivations/events that trigger the story are irritatingly inane, but worse the whole film feels random and uninteresting. It's always the problem with this multiverse crap, that anything could happen but only the convenient does - which is of course at the heart of any storytelling, but bothers me with the multiverse stuff. But more generally, Far From Home to me felt like a long and expensive) episode from a series, and No Way Home wasn't much better.

I'm looking forward to this new Deadpool film though. Not that I will get many of those references (I have only seen like 3 of the films after Endgame and none of the series), but it should be fun.

I didn't like it either. As you say, the motivations/events that trigger the story are irritatingly inane, but worse the whole film feels random and uninteresting. It's always the problem with this multiverse crap, that anything could happen but only the convenient does - which is of course at the heart of any storytelling, but bothers me with the multiverse stuff. But more generally, Far From Home to me felt like a long and expensive) episode from a series, and No Way Home wasn't much better.

I'm looking forward to this new Deadpool film though. Not that I will get many of those references (I have only seen like 3 of the films after Endgame and none of the series), but it should be fun.
You don't need to have seen any of the properties post endgame. There was only one joke relating to this and you'll get it because it's poking fun.

They set out to do the best they could. They set out to make a critically sound and commercially profitable movie. That doesn't mean the movie is not mediocre.
Doesn't mean the movie is mediocre either.

So I saw it. It's not awful, I'll say that. It's a fun ride and I genuinely like seeing Hugh in that role so that was nice (even if the only thing he did was telling Deadpool to shut up).

If they're not really gonna attempt at making an actual film I think they should leave out all the emotional scenes.

I did like the credits scene in the beginning, that was really nicely done. But yeah, Marvel now needs to come up with some coherent plots and compelling villains from now otherwise it'll be bye bye bye for them. This got good reception, but like No Way Home I think it'll age like milk.

So I saw it. It's not awful, I'll say that. It's a fun ride and I genuinely like seeing Hugh in that role so that was nice (even if the only thing he did was telling Deadpool to shut up).

If they're not really gonna attempt at making an actual film I think they should leave out all the emotional scenes.

I did like the credits scene in the beginning, that was really nicely done. But yeah, Marvel now needs to come up with some coherent plots from now otherwise it'll be bye bye bye for them. This got good reception, but like No Way Home I think it'll age like milk.
Nah, this one will still work whenever you watch in the future, the problem with no way home was absurd story choices that made no sense which get highlighted once nostalgia wears off. Deadpool is not trying to tell a compelling story, it's basically a stand up set with a bunch of jokes with no attempt to take itself seriously and it works fine that way.

Nah, this one will still work whenever you watch in the future, the problem with no way home was absurd story choices that made no sense which get highlighted once nostalgia wears off. Deadpool is not trying to tell a compelling story, it's basically a stand up set with a bunch of jokes with no attempt to take itself seriously and it works fine that way.
I don't think the writers of the Deadpool movie can deliver a funny joke, judging from their work.

80% of the jokes are Ryan Reynolds saying feck in a funny voice whilst pointing out that someone is wearing an outfit and/or was in a bad film in a sexually suggestive way. And then Hugh Jackman tells him to shut up. Timeless stuff

Last edited:
80% of the jokes are Ryan Reynolds saying feck in a funny voice whilst pointing out that someone is wearing an outfit and/or was in a bad film. Timeless stuff
Exactly. Reminds me of that unfunny Mike Myers comeback attempt.

I think all the cameos that make people cheer is sort of the same in that way. I also don't think the humor is timeless at all.

Clearly one for Marvel megageeks only.

Think this is a reasonably fair take.

It wasn't awful though. It was a stupid and silly superhero movie, which is exactly what I expected it to be.

If you don't really care for any of the various franchises involved, there isn't much there for you.

The only part of the story from No way Home that bugged me was Dr Strange suddenly becoming an idiot and not stopping the spell/making sure Peter understood beforehand not to tamper with it

The only part of the story from No way Home that bugged me was Dr Strange suddenly becoming an idiot and not stopping the spell/making sure Peter understood beforehand not to tamper with it
Even the setup was stupid, outside of peter being rejected by the college there was literally no reason to go the drastic route, if you were going to kill the aunt, they should have killed her before peter goes to strange atleast that way there is actual motivation and logic for doing something this drastic for both peter and strange.

Saw it yesterday and it was alright. While not offensive, thought it'd be funnier. Didn't realize there'd be so many cameos (nor grasp how they're all related). And tbh, all the slashing/stabbing in the nuts/Deadpool variations get old after a while. Multiverse storylines are shite.

It was very funny throughout, but that's just a pretty thin veneer over another really underwhelming story. It's unforgivably dull for long periods, even in the action beats, which go on forever and don't feel anything like the thrilling fan service the creators think they are making.

I've seen Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman talk this film up as though it is something really special in recent weeks, it isn't, it's toilet humour and manipulative needle drops frosting over the same stale cake.

Easily still the best Marvel film in recent years, but if the only joy in the MCU is laughing at it, how does it move forward? Robert Downey Jnr returning feels more like a death rattle than a Hail Mary.

I laughed out loud throughout, but I'll never watch it again.

I’m a sucker for Deadpool and Ryan Reynolds, so I enjoyed the film on a surface level, my son is a marvel mega-nerd so he really enjoyed it and all the callbacks to other marvel fox movies most of which I didn’t really understand as I’d not seen the older films.

It was exactly what I expected it to be going in - and it was enjoyable. If you don’t like the others you won’t like this one. The highlight of the film is Jackman’s body though - 55 years old…damn son.

It was exactly what I expected it to be going in - and it was enjoyable. If you don’t like the others you won’t like this one. The highlight of the film is Jackman’s body though - 55 years old…damn son.
Are you that TVA guy? :lol:

Saw it yesterday and it was alright. While not offensive, thought it'd be funnier. Didn't realize there'd be so many cameos (nor grasp how they're all related). And tbh, all the slashing/stabbing in the nuts/Deadpool variations get old after a while. Multiverse storylines are shite.
Yeah, stories work best when there is jeopardy, actual stakes and when decisions and events matter. Multiverses and time travel destroy all of that. In the films just as in the comics, it's a terrible route to go down if you want people to remain invested in your universe and characters.

Yeah, stories work best when there is jeopardy, actual stakes and when decisions and events matter. Multiverses and time travel destroy all of that. In the films just as in the comics, it's a terrible route to go down if you want people to remain invested in your universe and characters.

Yea it makes no sense. Literally zero stakes no death matters everyone can be bought make. They on that dragon ball z shit.

Some funny moments but very meh
The marvel fox jokes got annoying 5 minutes in. Must have been at least 50 jokes on the corporate merger.

also the storyline was baaad. Its a superhero movie, did not expect something spectacular but the exposition dumps and the nostalgia bait cameos were hella annoying.

Some funny moments but very meh
The marvel fox jokes got annoying 5 minutes in. Must have been at least 50 jokes on the corporate merger.

also the storyline was baaad. Its a superhero movie, did not expect something spectacular but the exposition dumps and the nostalgia bait cameos were hella annoying.
Remember how douchey Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man was? This is worse.

Very, very average movie.
They need to stop this multiverse shit. Such a cop out.

Watched it yesterday.
Was it funny? Yes most of it
Did it have too many easter eggs? Probably
Did it have any plot? Not really
Was it a good deadpool movie? Yes. I prefer the first 2 though.
Is it art? It's a bubblegum movie. Which is fine for deadpool.

I thought this was a lot of fun and very enjoyable. Even without the cameos the story still works.
The cameos just enhanced the story.

And it was nice that they tied stuff to the ending of Logan without dismissing it completely, and then gave finishes to some of the other fox stuff.

Some of the other cameos were nicely done too. It was a lot of fun

Watched it yesterday.
Was it funny? Yes most of it
Did it have too many easter eggs? Probably
Did it have any plot? Not really
Was it a good deadpool movie? Yes. I prefer the first 2 though.
Is it art? It's a bubblegum movie. Which is fine for deadpool.
Hotel? Trivago.

I thought this was a lot of fun and very enjoyable. Even without the cameos the story still works.
The cameos just enhanced the story.

And it was nice that they tied stuff to the ending of Logan without dismissing it completely, and then gave finishes to some of the other fox stuff.

Some of the other cameos were nicely done too. It was a lot of fun
The cameos are not part of the story. It's like saying the hat enhanced the chrome dome.

I enjoyed it. I think the movie did what it supposed to do and did it well, which is a closure to the Fox Marvel universe.
One thing that I find it grating is that MCU after Endgame was producing too much content to tied into this big mess. It's exactly what turned me off of the comics mega crossovers storyline. Too much issues to read if you want to fully get the experience.

The cameos are not part of the story. It's like saying the hat enhanced the chrome dome.
Im not sure what point youre making as opposed to mine. Every cameo had a purpose to the story that was playing out, bar maybe one.

Ye old Cafe diversionary tactics. Yeah, no.
Funny you say that, because you could point out how it didnt to refute it, but instead look at your response :lol:
Your argument is that the cameos are not part of the story. Great.
My point was that the cameos were fun and enhanced the story that was in place. Every cameo (bar the one that I can think of) that appeared helped to enhance the story that was being told. It wasnt just, look, here they are, ok next scene.

If you didnt enjoy it, fine. But its bad faith to just say, what you did.

Insulting another member
Funny you say that, because you could point out how it didnt to refute it, but instead look at your response :lol:
Your argument is that the cameos are not part of the story. Great.
My point was that the cameos were fun and enhanced the story that was in place. Every cameo (bar the one that I can think of) that appeared helped to enhance the story that was being told. It wasnt just, look, here they are, ok next scene.

If you didnt enjoy it, fine. But its bad faith to just say, what you did.
I'm hesitating between comprehension problems, and dishonesty (due to fanboyism). I suspect you have the latter. It is much more prevalent on the internet.

I liked the other deadpool movies, and I liked this one too.

It was never going to be an endgame with the story and emotions of 20+ movies coming to a head, it is exactly what Deadpool is, whether comics or cinema. Crude, funny and over the top.

I got what I expected.