Film Deadpool and Wolverine

It wasn't terrible, it was entertaining but I don't think I laughed once throughout. I'm generally a Deadpool mega fan, I love the first two films, and I own probably 90% of Deadpool comics, but this felt like a bit of a miss. An easy gateway for DP into the MCU, instead of focusing on what makes the character fun and unique.

The best DP comic team ups have been with Cable, continuing that felt like a tap-in. Going with the multiverse storylines instead was a bit trite IMO.

Why did they replace the awesome Juggernaut from DP2 with a shit one?
Because he was supposed to be the shit one from X-men 3 (just not played by Vinnie Jones). And in terms of practically, the helmet from Deapool 2's Juggernaut wouldn't have worked for the purposes of the plot. You could have had a bath in that thing!

Deadpool has basically always been X-Men adjacent. He's also a Marvel character.

What exactly were you expecting if not "superhero shit"?

Also, how exactly did you miss that the other characters in the first one were X-Men until after watching the film? It's made explicit from pretty much the first time Colossus and Negasonic appear that they're X-Men.
Amusing superhero piss take with knob jokes.

And how were 2 characters I'd never heard of explicitly X-Men?

Franchises have always existed and made money. The difference between now and then is the rise of subscription-based platforms, where you literally don't need to go the cinema anymore to watch the latest releases. Before it would be months before you could watch a film at home so you had to go to the cinema if you didn't want to wait.

People will sit on here and complain about the selection of films at the cinema and say they're all the same, but when there is something different and original it's crickets and I'll catch it when it drops on Netflix. So it's no wonder cinemas have found themselves in a bubble where they have priorities big blockbuster franchise to keep the doors open.

Cut off your nose to spite your face kinda hate?
No. Just bored them utter crap out of me.

After the opening scene on the bridge, it cuts to Xavier mansion. I'm fairly sure there's a close up of the sign saying "Xavier's school for gifted children" with a big X on it. You also definitely see Colossus and Negasonic going to the X-Jet through a set of massive doors with a massive "X" on them. One of the first conversations Colossus has with Deadpool is about him going straight and joining the X-Men.

After the opening scene on the bridge, it cuts to Xavier mansion. I'm fairly sure there's a close up of the sign saying "Xavier's school for gifted children" with a big X on it. You also definitely see Colossus and Negasonic going to the X-Jet through a set of massive doors with a massive "X" on them. One of the first conversations Colossus has with Deadpool is about him going straight and joining the X-Men.
I was only there for the knob jokes and comic book violence.

Was I meant to remember Xavier mansion from the X-Men films?

I actually think it looks pretty good.
I’m looking forward to bringing my oldest son to see it. He’s adopted my love of the alien franchise (aliens is probably my favourite movie of all time).

I don’t get as precious as some people about it “ruining the originals”. If it’s sh.8t I still enjoy originals.

I was only there for the knob jokes and comic book violence.

Fair enough, I'm just not sure why finding out some (very obvious) X-Men were involved reduced your enjoyment of it after the fact.

Fair enough, I'm just not sure why finding out some (very obvious) X-Men were involved reduced your enjoyment of it after the fact.
Because I hoped it was separate from the mind-numbingly boring general superhero films that all somehow seem connected these days.

Because I hoped it was separate from the mind-numbingly boring general superhero films that all somehow seem connected these days.

I mean the first two kind of were. That was often made a part of the joke. This one is definitely one for you to avoid as it's explicitly in the Marvel Universe now and sadly also spins a plot around the incredibly tedious multiverse shit which really just needs to feck off now.

Pretty certain at one point Colossus says he's tried to recruit him for the X-Men multiple times.

Also Colossus is pretty famous xman whos been in the films already.

Pretty certain at one point Colossus says he's tried to recruit him for the X-Men multiple times.

Also Colossus is pretty famous xman whos been in the films already.
Could well be. When watching superhero stuff my main aim is not losing the will to live.

Defies logic. You enjoyed something and because you realised it's a part of a larger universe, you're disappointed in it and yourself for enjoying it? Life's short, allow yourself guilty pleasures.

Very blinkered way to look at it. You could say that Marvel contributed to the current landscape where franchises, sequels and reboots are massively prioritised over original creations - they're not saving the market, they for a large part created the bleak market as it is. The fact a film like Deadpool works so well, considering how much "minimal effort" it is to create such a thing, is the worrying part.
They of course contributed, because anything that works, others will try and follow.
The issue of course is also that when there are originals not enough people go to watch them. And thus they are out the cinema in quick time. Its a two way street. A lot of people complain about wanting originals but arent going out to see them or support them.

Because I have grown to hate superhero shit.

I know youve tried to explain it, and of course the whole 'you do you' thing, but this is still insane to me.
you liked a movie
Afterwards found a connection and then decided not to like it because of some logic about hating a genre or something.
Insane.

I dunno about curated music choices either but the NSync and Madonna picks were spot on. If the movie deserves any credit it's for getting the soundtrack right consistently.

Just saw it. Not a big fan of Ryan Reynolds humour so the first 2 Deadpool movies were okay for me. I liked this one much better. Thought they did well to show off the fox characters in both a humorous and respectful. It was a fun movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My main worry going in was that they reduce Wolverine into a more hokey/light character... But they stayed true to him and the film was all the better for it.

It was great fun, exactly the kind of stupid shit I was expecting and ready for.

Do agree with this and have made this point previously. You take out that marvel cash injection and it's bleak for cinemas.

Cineworld are already in administration and closing down venues.

Same people like will happily subscribe to Netflix, ironically.
Agreed. During the year or two that Marvel was flopping, nothing else took its place. If I remember correctly, that's why people got so excited about "Barbenheimer" because there was a long barren streak before it.

At the tail end of the pandemic, people hyped up Tenet as the movie that would "save theatres" by bringing everyone back but it didn't, Spiderman did. Everytime Hollywood needs a big win, Marvel delivers.
Very blinkered way to look at it. You could say that Marvel contributed to the current landscape where franchises, sequels and reboots are massively prioritised over original creations - they're not saving the market, they for a large part created the bleak market as it is. The fact a film like Deadpool works so well, considering how much "minimal effort" it is to create such a thing, is the worrying part.
I don't see how it could have contributed to that. Spiderman and X-men were making lots of money from their sequels before Marvel really got going. Pixar, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean and even Lord of the Rings were all the big earners in the years before Marvel and they're all adaptations or sequels. Marvel just lasted longer.

Plenty of directors have been moaning about Marvel for years but they haven't been able to make anything much better.

Basically one 2 hour long meta gag about how shit the mcu is.

Why do people keep talking about plot or lack of plot as if it was just a random bunch of sequences

The plot was simple but there

Deadpool 2 has a semblance of a plot and Josh Brolin as Cable was good.

This is basically just 2 hours of fan services, if you aren’t super into Hugh Jackman’s return then there’s nothing there.
Ive been very vocal about my dislike for Hugh Jackman's wolverine in previous threads, and generally speaking the X-Men films he's been in.

I still enjoyed Deadpool 3.

Also, I don't think josh brolin was that great of a cable

How could you not enjoy the film? It was funny and entertaining, plus is had some great cameos. Hugh Jackman is especially brilliant.

I didn't go into the film expecting a masterpiece of a narrative.

How could you not enjoy the film? It was funny and entertaining, plus is had some great cameos. Hugh Jackman is especially brilliant.

There's a difference in enjoying a film and thinking it's any good. It's an enjoyable film, just not particularly good.

You know what, I too love a cineworld. Except their popcorn. Nowhere near sweet enough.

Ive recently moved though, and my closest cinema is an odeon. They're limitless has gone down from when I use to have it, to 15 quid. Very tempting.
My local Odeon in Wrexham is huge, but has shit seats. The one in Warrington is smaller but is a Luxe so has all reclining seats and is so much better and more comfortable.

I get 4 free tickets a month with my Vitality life insurance, so it costs me nowt other than a trip to the supermarket for Popcorn, sweets and drink for the kids.

There's a difference in enjoying a film and thinking it's any good. It's an enjoyable film, just not particularly good.
There's also levels between "a masterpiece of a narrative" and "none", but don't let a well constructed straw man get in the way of those!

Walked in expecting a 2.5/5, got a 2.5/5, but a quite enjoyable 2.5.

The entire movie was an exercise in gross indulgence but it got most (EDIT - some) things right I'd say.

Last edited:
Walked in expecting a 2.5/5, got a 2.5/5, but a quite enjoyable 2.5.

The entire movie was an exercise in gross indulgence but it got most (EDIT - some) things right I'd say.
You realise if you're using a rating scale with 10 possible scores, it's easier to type and say 5 than 2.5 right?

And yes, I'm aware I'm a pedant.