De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is going to end up playing against England in the Euros Semi's and is going to drop a howler of a mistake. I can sense it.

This is coming from someone who wants this signing as well btw.
It’s written in the stars mate. And to top it off we’ll pay 10m more after the mistake

Some of the quotes from bayern subreddit:
I still don’t understand why is Bayern selling him
My day is ruined and my disappointment is immeasurable
Biggest mistake since selling Kroos
Like, I understand that this is the easiest position to cut some wages, as our depth in the position is good, but still this feels like a mistake.

I genuinely believe he could be a cornerstone of the team to build around and a potential future captain. It's exactly the kind of player that we should try to keep around the club
man, feck Kompany

literally selling our best defender to a dying club
Selling MDL for anything below €70 mil is a braindead decision.

Mate, this place would even moan about prime Messi so I doubt it.

Anyway, the way this deal is progressing make it seems very likely that he will be joining us soon after the conclusion of EUROs. I am not used to us signing someone of this profile this smoothly and quickly, so I am having this weird feeling that something bizzare will happen soon...

Varane 2.0

No way he will ever leave Barca for Utd
Barca may not want him anymore and his contract goes only for another 2 years if I’m not mistaken. Good chance that we come back for him next year, ETH loves him.

It looks like we're going to have De Ligt and Martinez with Onana behind them. You would assume that we should at least be able to see some progress in playing it out from the back like Ajax :lol:

De Jong next year anyone.
Why limit yourself to next year, plenty of the summer to go :devil:

So he played more minutes than someone who was out for the entire season? That’s mad.
Well, if De Ligt has played more in two seasons than Martinez, which one's the injury prone?

All I'm saying is he might be less injury prone than Martinez.

I think, with this guy, we’ll soon find out the grass isn’t always greener. Finding it difficult to justify this purchase when we have, (in my opinion), a player of similar caliber in Maguire.
I don't see how this can be true at all.

Any idea why he's not making the starting lineup for the Dutch at Euros?
Been covered many times. Van Dijk is their main defender and de Vrij has been very reliable next to him so there's no need to mess with that by trying to integrate de Ligt. He simply has great competition.

Any idea why he's not making the starting lineup for the Dutch at Euros?
I assume because he’s competing with Van Dijk, as the Dutch have essentially fetishised having a left footed centre back.

De Ligt and Branthwaite doesn't make great sense to me. I understand Branthwaite is left footed and prefers the left side, but both of them seem to have pretty similar traits. Big[ger], great in the air in both boxes, quite aggressive and no-nonsense.

Surely after signing De Ligt (or Branthwaite) the focus should be more on type of centre back who can double as one of these more "inverted fullback" types -- very fast across the ground and comfortable on the ball? The Ake, Timber, van de Ven type?

(The above paragraph predicated on us selling Lindelof and/or Maguire. I don't see us buying two CBs unless another goes)

De Ligt and Branthwaite doesn't make great sense to me. I understand Branthwaite is left footed and prefers the left side, but both of them seem to have pretty similar traits. Big[ger], great in the air in both boxes, quite aggressive and no-nonsense.

Surely after signing De Ligt (or Branthwaite) the focus should be more on type of centre back who can double as one of these more "inverted fullback" types -- very fast across the ground and comfortable on the ball? The Ake, Timber, van de Ven type?

(The above paragraph predicated on us selling Lindelof and/or Maguire. I don't see us buying two CBs unless another goes)
Still do not see the infatuation with Branthwaite, especially not at the price tags being brandished, but I love the idea of two CBs. We really need to prioritise CBs who are top notch on the ball because we may not change CBs again for a while.

interesting to see the tweets about De Ligt willing to take a wage close to the wage structure and United trying to do the deal on 50m euros total, that is not as expensive as I was thinking before (I thought Bayern would start negotiation from 70M+, but if we believe the tweets, they want 50M and some add-ons/bonuses).

This could be a good deal for a good defender, I still do not think he is a top-class CB like Stones, Dias, or Rudiger but he still young enough to turn into one.

We definitely need 2 CBs. Martinez is unreliable when it comes to fitness. But buying MDL doesn’t fix this as he seems to be prone to injuries as well. Maybe we just hope that 2 out of 3 are always available?

That centreback to us speak of that can double up is none other than Martinez. He can play the Gvardiol role perfectly. He won't always have to but will be able to play there with Brantwaithe, De Ligt and Dalot in the back four. That would be very solid. In game we can also switch to a 3 at the back by bringing on Shaw if need be and alternate. Gives us tactical flexibility and a fit Shaw adds another potential CB to the fold too so signing Brantwaithe and De Ligt works perfectly.

The majority of people overstate physical attributes in football. I was fortunate enough to have a discussion with a former Australian goalkeeper at a foundation day a few years ago and during our conversation he explained to me how the difference between the fastest and slowest players in most teams is very minor. And how timing is considerably more important that strength and speed.

I have seen people on here mention De Ligt ran 32.5km/hr and that makes him the slowest Bundesliga defender. But what is lost in that, is that if he ran 33.5km/hr, then he probably would be in the top 30% of that category.
The difference in the context of football is so minor (this isn't a marathon), and so if a player has the natural defending ability of De Ligt, then his anticipation and timing makes up for the speed he might give up to attackers.

In fact, a 1v1 run is fairly uncommon during a football match, and usually if you're in that situation, then you're probably at fault for an earlier error. Its the same context I used when we signed Martinez, I didn't think his height was an issue because it is so rare that two players jump up for a header when they're shoulder-to-shoulder, instead its typically just whichever player gets to the ball first will win the header. So it all comes down to timing and anticipation.

People reference Maguire, but Maguire has some of the most awful timing I have seen from a United defender, and if you go back and watch his worst moments, its not because he is being out run, but its because he is being left on his ass for doing the wrong thing in the defensive duel.

So for me, unless a player is extremely lacking speed or extremely fast (players like Walker etc), then the physical side of the game is fairly overestimated.

Great post!

Rio was blessed with great pace, but you rarely ever saw him in a foot race - if he did, he would blitz past them, but very rarely dis that happen due to his anticipation. Just as he didn’t often get into sliding tackles.

Evra was the opposite; he knew he was quicker than most attackers so he blocked the inside forcing the attacker wide, the. He would makenup the ground an tackle. Worked on anyone bar Lennon.

Going on a 40 yard foot race against defenders is also very rare. Bale would do it because he was mostly faster. Valencia, Giggs, Ronaldo would do it. However, most quick wingers accelerate past their defenders when they are wrong footed, thus anticipating when to run. Walker is almost impossible to beat because of his speed and strength though.

Bruno is agreat at getting in behind defenses, not because he’s the quickest, but because of his timing

Not sure about this one. The guy is a leader and he can play but I would have assumed that the way it looked like we were heading in style of play we would need more quick footed people who are comfortable going out wide. He to me has always looked a little slow on the turn and given how poor our midfield is I can see our defence still ending up with a lot of 1 on 1 defending from us giving the ball away needlessly in midfield.

If we can make a high press work and get better at ball retention then it’s an issue we can work around because that is something you would think he and Martinez would thrive on and if you can add a fit Shaw to that we should be fine with those 3 sitting back squeezing the space.

Told y'all, he's not the type to rate PissG

It doesn’t say anywhere in that tweet he wouldn’t join PSG, it only says he’s willing to join us even without CL football. PSG could easily offer something crazy like doubling his wages and giving Bayern a bigger fee which could attract him and cause Bayern to push him in their direction. I’d hope playing in the PL and talks with ETH will be enough to swing it in our favour though.

I love how the person behind that tweet immediately responded to it with something similar to "by the way this entire stats comparison isn't helpful".

All of our defenders made more defensive actions per game than a defender who played for a team that didn't need to make as many defensive actions per game. There must have been better stats for then to choose from, surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.