Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's interesting is that Ogden is saying that the Sancho deal has hit a impasse not because of Dortmund's asking price but rather the money that's being asked by the player and agent.

Not really a shocker, 50M is far too much money for an agents fee.

Just wondering, how did you think he looked alone this year with Konate out often?

Two, I would hope the disparity isn't as wide as the one you stated, and obviously, think a disparity of that level is unlikely. Hopefully more like Rooney/Ronaldo (Rooney was often considered the better player early on) if we end up buying Konate. Maybe something like Sneijder/Van Der Vaart, another situation of VDV being viewed as the superior talent, but Sneijder ending up the better player at their peaks. I feel Ronaldo hit the absolute ceiling of his potential, whereas Quaresma played around the level of his floor.
The disparity isn't as wide but Konate has traits that Upamecano will never have because he's just much taller and athletically, physically, technically gifted to boot which is really telling when you watch him play. He not only excells in a deep block due to his monster aerial ability he's also very strong at maintaining a high-line and enforcing high pressure. For me he looks the most complete young CB in Europe and is the closest CB potential wise to Van Dyke.

Upamecano has had a very good season no question but I don't see him being a dominant all round CB like a Van Dyke or Varane because he's noticeably shorter than both. He's more similar to the like of Umtiti in profile IMO. So next to Maguire it could be a very good partnership.

Last edited:
If we manage to sell the second "best" defender in Serie A for around 20mil i could see us making a 40-50 mil offer for Dayot.

Raiola all over again but they why hasn't Romano mentioned there being an issue with fees yet

Because Romano is most likely fed stories by the agents themselves. No surprise then that he isn't highlighting agent fees. In other United briefings too, we have mentioned agent fee as a stumbling block, before we even begin to discuss fee with Dortmund.

Ogden also says the higher ups need convincing before they shell out on Upamecano.

I personally can see why they'd have reservations after breaking the world transfer record on Maguire and still being asked for funds to sign someone to cover up for his defeciencies.

Don't expect many to agree with me.
I agree totally,
Maguire was a 50mil player at most and yet he was deemed essential to add to our team.
Let's be real and realize Lindelof is not a top 6 club defender and we need a physical presence who can head a ball and can pass a ball in our team.

Yeah, that was a shocker to me as well. Agents are scum.

Sancho shares the same agent Josh Maja. Judging solely based on the events portrayed in Sunderland Till I Die, the guy seems a bit of a cnut.

I agree totally,
Maguire was a 50mil player at most and yet he was deemed essential to add to our team.
Let's be real and realize Lindelof is not a top 6 club defender and we need a physical presence who can head a ball and can pass a ball in our team.
Maguire and Upamecano as starters, Lindelof and Bailly as backup, not bad actually.

Maybe I am overrating this kid but I feel he is the CB who would make our already solid defense into the best one in the league.

I think he is approaching it in the wrong way by saying that Ole can’t trust his CBS because Bailly can’t stay fit, Lindelof can’t head the ball and Tuanzebe is just a kid.
Bailly has problems to stay fit - but that’s also a worry when it comes to Upamecano.
Lindelof is average at heading the ball - but Upamecano is worse.
Tuanzebe is 23 this year - Upamecano 22.

There are many reasons to sign him but not because he is reliable to stay fit, good in the air or experienced and mature.

I have seen that we had an offer knocked back for Benoît Badiashile from Monaco and I wonder if the interest in Dayot is just something being put out there so Monaco May think again and be realistic about the price they are asking for their player.
I just cannot see us forking out the amount that is talked about for Dayot.

I think we'll pay it because Sancho ain't coming by the looks of it. And if we can get Barca to loan us Ousmane Dembele i'd be a very happy bunny with VdB, Upamecano and Ousmane Dembele.
I am disappointed my friend

The only way we would pay that is if we get Smalling, Jones, Rojo and maybe Bailly off the books. We’re not going into the season with 8 centre backs.

I think we'll pay it because Sancho ain't coming by the looks of it. And if we can get Barca to loan us Ousmane Dembele i'd be a very happy bunny with VdB, Upamecano and Ousmane Dembele.
That would be a cracking window. I'd even go as far to say, add someone like Rayan Ait-Nouri at LB and that would be one of our best ever windows.

Ogden also says the higher ups need convincing before they shell out on Upamecano.

I personally can see why they'd have reservations after breaking the world transfer record on Maguire and still being asked for funds to sign someone to cover up for his defeciencies.

Don't expect many to agree with me.

I agree

2019 80m for Maguire
2017 30m for Lindelof
2016 30m for Bailly

And that's just the CB's, let's not forget about all the money spent on FB's

2019 AWB
2018 Dalot
2015 Darmian
2014 Shaw and Rojo

There's been more money spent on the defence post Fergie than any area of the pitch and it's still questionable

I have seen that we had an offer knocked back for Benoît Badiashile from Monaco and I wonder if the interest in Dayot is just something being put out there so Monaco May think again and be realistic about the price they are asking for their player.
I just cannot see us forking out the amount that is talked about for Dayot.
I don’t see those as being related. Everyone knows we have an eye out for a CB, and Dayot is probably high on everyone’s lists.

United is trying to clear space - both in the ranks and financially. Roma are working with Smalling and Newcastle interested in Jones. United want Upamecano.

This isn’t Sancho or bust this summer. I genuinely think we’re going for it and Sancho will be part of it. We’ve realised there are players on the market we wouldn’t otherwise have been able to get and now is the time to get them. Incidentally I read yesterday about wine investment group that have bought 100m more shares in us - they’re certainly backing crowds come back and in a big way. Their reasoning seemed to suggest even with our current revenue we can still grow financially a lot more.

I think this won't have much affect on Sancho situation. We will probably try to finance Upamecano with the sales of Smalling, Dalot, Jones, Romero etc. And if we can manage to get VdB, Sancho and Upamecano we will be a very very good team. Hope our interest is genuine.

I agree

2019 80m for Maguire
2017 30m for Lindelof
2016 30m for Bailly

And that's just the CB's, let's not forget about all the money spent on FB's

2019 AWB
2018 Dalot
2015 Darmian
2014 Shaw and Rojo

There's been more money spent on the defence post Fergie than any area of the pitch and it's still questionable

You're right.

I'd be happy with just VDB and Sancho into the new season. Defense has been a less of concern, at least for me.

Just expect De Gea or Henderson to step up and cut out those nasty goals we conceded.

One problem - both for Sancho and Upamecano - is that United underestimate German culture. Bundesliga clubs rarely sell late in the transfer windows.

Unless its 30 now, 30 next summer I don't see United paying that much since the Sancho deal is still the priority.

United is trying to clear space - both in the ranks and financially. Roma are working with Smalling and Newcastle interested in Jones. United want Upamecano.

Newcastle trying to create physio jobs for mates then.

I actually think Jones will be a very decent signing for someone like Newcastle. I think he'll have loads of pressure off him and I think in turn he'll stop getting injured from being less erratic and calmer. I hope he gets that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.