Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the fact was offered unauthorised by the scout, to convince him to come, but then club had its own policies and refused to change?

I don’t know the exact circumstances but I do know very few clubs in the world have more expertise than ours on how to onboard and assimilate international youth players.

I’m not part of this clan who will denounce and ridicule our club for any perceived mistake. Especially not at youth level where our record of producing premier league standard players is unrivalled.

I'm also not looking to ridicule the club, just answering the "his family made ridiculous demands" by another poster. It seem more like an agent of all people looking out for the needs of his player who was a teenager at the time.

I mean, I'm pretty sure we gave Davide Petrucci's dad a job as part of signing him. It is not unheard of.

Standard reply. To be honest, Sancho should be our priority. Next year he’ll be more attainable.

No. Just bored of unsubstantiated moaning.

No, unsubstantiated is your theory a scout made an offer he wasn't authorized to make and that's why the deal was off. However, deals being changed last minute by Woodward has happened quite a few times with different targets, Upamecano is just one example of that.

Regardless, I don't think United or Woodward is alone in changing deals at the last minute, but he has done it several times in the past and it's never good business for anybody.

Nope, Woodward has been accused of doing similar things, it comes from the top down, it makes United look bad, and it's not solely isolated to youth transfers.

yeah I agree with this totally. If he was good enough to be a player we’d agree to buy a flat for and make exceptions for In the first place then we should have just followed through. The poster you were replying to doesn’t think we should have and potentially saved ourselves 60 million quid? I have a very strong feeling the same thing is going to happen with bellingham over about 10k a week. If they are exceptional you go that bit further if needs be.

I would think he was more meaning Konaté is the leader of the two who organises and dictates the play and positioning. Haven’t seen much of either this season but in the previous seasons that was certainly the case. Konaté had a much more mature game. It’s also not like Konaté is slow. More than capable of being the aggressor or covering defender. What he had previously was just far better decision making in my opinion but I’ve heard a lot of people and journalists say that Upamecano has come on leaps and bounds this year and cut out all the silly mistakes he was making previously.

Truth is both are really exciting prospects and young. Getting either would be good for us.
@Fortitude This post sums it up perfectly for me from @Andersons Dietician

Both are potentially excellent but the alpha CB in the making is the younger but physically even more imposing figure of Ibrahima Konate IMO. His ability in the air, along with his monster ability to win ground duels along with his ability to play out from the back make him the most interesting young CB I've seen in many many years. He's also shown composure and consistency over the course of a season that I've never seen in a young CB in the 18/19 season where RBL had the best defensive record in the BuLi playing a high press with Konate the main factor in that backline which was without Upamecano. Konate was infact so good that one German media outlet gave him their player of the year award and described him as being a revelation and he was only 19 at the time.

And it's not only me who rates him higher from the evidence at hand. Andy Brassel who is a European football correspondent and appears on the BBC and ESPN from time to time, said that he doesn't believe Upamecano is even the best CB at RBL. Alex Chaffer who is the Bundesliga English content manager tipped Konate along with Sule to be the two best CBs in the world in the future.

Now I'm not saying I'm right and everybody else is wrong because Konate could return from his lengthy spell out and not rediscover the form he was showing previously. But I will call it out in the FF because I'm gonna watch both Gladbach and RBL in the BuLi in the upcoming season.

I hope we can get him as I’ve just gotten to the point I can read and say his name correctly.

So this is now over or are Leipzig ensuring they get more money? Wonder who we look for now?

He’s my dream CB signing so would be very pleased if we could get him this summer or next. Has potential to be in France national CB pairing at the age of 21, says it all really.

Standard reply. To be honest, Sancho should be our priority. Next year he’ll be more attainable.
Sancho will be more unattainable for the exact reason Upamecano will be too. They will be massively sought after - besides I don't think going for him now will slow down Sancho. That's a deal destined to be wrapped up at the bitter end if at all.

If Yewtree want some low hanging fruit they could start by checking the hard drives of grown adults arguing about the various Tiers of journalists on the internet.

Leipzig's Director of Football has said few weeks ago "Every player at our club has his transfer price and our transfer budget for the summer is very limited".

If we really want him then a deal shouldn't be too difficult.
Exactly my brother, every footballer has a price. We will get Upamecano. Why? We have history with him so we know what we are getting. Once you have release clauses in your contract, it makes things easier.

I hope we can get him as I’ve just gotten to the point I can read and say his name correctly.

Given how difficult people here have in spelling Bailly, this is bound to keep happening.

I would be happy with DVB and Upamecano signings in this window if we add Sancho to the list then I will never go near Ed's house.

Those words mean he is at least open to the idea. I would we can manage signing him. Ideal for our backline.

Why is he even speaking with clubs? Surely Leipzig have to allow this which means a transfer is possible.

To me, that quote seems like respectful lip service towards Leipzig, while well and truly confirmed that a deal is on and currently being worked on.

Those words mean he is at least open to the idea. I would we can manage signing him. Ideal for our backline.
Of course he's open to the idea, he's 21 and just had a banner campaign in the CL (being named to the team of the tournament) along with earning caps with the NT. He probably feels he's ready for a step up in his career as no top talent grows up dreaming of playing for one of Red Bulls PR sporting experiments :lol:

He's also said this in the past (in 2018 to TF1)

EgxBuZLXgAEvfOd

The thing we have working for us is that with a set release clause of 45m kicking in next summer, Leipzig might be more inclined to cash in this summer if they're able to get an offer north of that. Next year he'll surely have more clubs circling but they won't be able to get as much as they potentially can this year.

@Fortitude This post sums it up perfectly for me from @Andersons Dietician

Both are potentially excellent but the alpha CB in the making is the younger but physically even more imposing figure of Ibrahima Konate IMO. His ability in the air, along with his monster ability to win ground duels along with his ability to play out from the back make him the most interesting young CB I've seen in many many years. He's also shown composure and consistency over the course of a season that I've never seen in a young CB in the 18/19 season where RBL had the best defensive record in the BuLi playing a high press with Konate the main factor in that backline which was without Upamecano. Konate was infact so good that one German media outlet gave him their player of the year award and described him as being a revelation and he was only 19 at the time.

And it's not only me who rates him higher from the evidence at hand. Andy Brassel who is a European football correspondent and appears on the BBC and ESPN from time to time, said that he doesn't believe Upamecano is even the best CB at RBL. Alex Chaffer who is the Bundesliga English content manager tipped Konate along with Sule to be the two best CBs in the world in the future.

Now I'm not saying I'm right and everybody else is wrong because Konate could return from his lengthy spell out and not rediscover the form he was showing previously. But I will call it out in the FF because I'm gonna watch both Gladbach and RBL in the BuLi in the upcoming season.
Not opposed to any of that, and did say the trajectory of both is that Konate just needs to keep doing what he has been doing to be a world class CB throughout his career whereas Upamenco needs to work on certain aspects to reach that bar, however, it was the 'Robin' comment, that for me, suggested a sizeable gulf between them that I was surprised by.

On one level, I see what you mean as, right now, Konate is much more the finished article, but on the other, a sidekick is just that, and that's not really what I consider Upamenco to be, rather, someone who is at a different stage in his development and understanding of the game to Konate.

Perhaps it's more than a simple case of maturity at different rates, but to me, the story for the two of them is far from concluded as we've no real idea where either of them will max out and have no more growth left in them.

Of course he's open to the idea, he's 21 and just had a banner campaign in the CL (being named to the team of the tournament) along with earning caps with the NT. He probably feels he's ready for a step up in his career as no top talent grows up dreaming of playing for one of Red Bulls PR sporting experiments :lol:

He's also said this in the past (in 2018 to TF1)

EgxBuZLXgAEvfOd

The thing we have working for us is that with a set release clause of 45m kicking in next summer, Leipzig might be more inclined to cash in this summer if they're able to get an offer north of that. Next year he'll surely have more clubs circling but they won't be able to get as much as they potentially can this year.

Heard he is a leader too and we need characters like him.

Maguire/Bruno/Upamecano to lead the pack.

The fact that gives me hope about this coming off is the low release clause that kicks in next summer. If we offer enough to make the cost of losing him less than the benefit of getting more for him than the release clause, I can't see how Leipzig would not be tempted to at least come to the table and negotiate. If we can find a number that works for them but doesn't represent paying over the odds, I think the deal will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.