Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me Leipzig are selling club. If we paid 85 million for Maguire, 50 million for wan bissaka then we should pay the 50 to 60 million price for him. This player could be the cornerstone of our defense for 10 plus years.

We need to get some surplus players of our books in as well.

@Fortitude This post sums it up perfectly for me from @Andersons Dietician

Both are potentially excellent but the alpha CB in the making is the younger but physically even more imposing figure of Ibrahima Konate IMO. His ability in the air, along with his monster ability to win ground duels along with his ability to play out from the back make him the most interesting young CB I've seen in many many years. He's also shown composure and consistency over the course of a season that I've never seen in a young CB in the 18/19 season where RBL had the best defensive record in the BuLi playing a high press with Konate the main factor in that backline which was without Upamecano. Konate was infact so good that one German media outlet gave him their player of the year award and described him as being a revelation and he was only 19 at the time.

And it's not only me who rates him higher from the evidence at hand. Andy Brassel who is a European football correspondent and appears on the BBC and ESPN from time to time, said that he doesn't believe Upamecano is even the best CB at RBL. Alex Chaffer who is the Bundesliga English content manager tipped Konate along with Sule to be the two best CBs in the world in the future.

Now I'm not saying I'm right and everybody else is wrong because Konate could return from his lengthy spell out and not rediscover the form he was showing previously. But I will call it out in the FF because I'm gonna watch both Gladbach and RBL in the BuLi in the upcoming season.
Thanks for the detailed description. Not seen much of either of them but you make a compelling argument for Konate. In that case I'm in.

Seems Smalling is not that bad

2019-2020 Season

Successful tackles per 90 minutes (success rate)
Dayot Upamecano – 2.0 (74%)
Harry Maguire – 1.0 (71.4%)
Chris Smalling – 0.9 (90%)
Victor Lindelof – 0.8 (88.8%)

Successful aerial duels per 90 minutes (success rate)
Harry Maguire – 4.6 (70.7%)
Chris Smalling – 3.3 (70.2%)
Victor Lindelof – 2.8 (66.6%)
Dayot Upamecano – 2.1 (65.6%)

Interceptions per 90 minutes

Chris Smalling – 2.0

Harry Maguire – 1.9
Dayot Upamecano – 1.6
Victor Lindelof – 0.8

Clearances per 90 minutes

Chris Smalling – 4.2

Harry Maguire – 4.1
Victor Lindelof – 3.5
Dayot Upamecano – 3.2

Passing accuracy

Chris Smalling – 90.5%

Dayot Upamecano – 89.1%
Harry Maguire – 86.7%
Victor Lindelof – 86.5%

Goals

Chris Smalling – 3

Harry Maguire – 1
Victor Lindelof – 1
Dayot Upamecano – 0

2019-2020 Season

Chris Smalling – 2.0

Harry Maguire – 1.9
Dayot Upamecano – 1.6
Victor Lindelof – 0.8

Chris Smalling – 4.2

Harry Maguire – 4.1
Victor Lindelof – 3.5
Dayot Upamecano – 3.2

Passing accuracy

Chris Smalling – 90.5%

Dayot Upamecano – 89.1%
Harry Maguire – 86.7%
Victor Lindelof – 86.5%

Goals

Chris Smalling – 3

Harry Maguire – 1
Victor Lindelof – 1
Dayot Upamecano – 0
Hope the resident 'experts' who claim Chris Smalling isn't good enough have a good read of that.

Always thought Smalling would have secured that spot next to Maguire ahead of Lindelof within a couple of months if he had stayed.

Sancho will be more unattainable for the exact reason Upamecano will be too. They will be massively sought after - besides I don't think going for him now will slow down Sancho. That's a deal destined to be wrapped up at the bitter end if at all.

Yeah next summer there will be so much more competition for him & Sancho,therefore we need to get them now or risk missing out completely

Yeah next summer there will be so much more competition for him & Sancho,therefore we need to get them now or risk missing out completely
If anything with that low release clause in his contract you could argue there will be a shed load more clubs sniffing around Dayot. You won't get a better deal for a more talented CB.

Not opposed to any of that, and did say the trajectory of both is that Konate just needs to keep doing what he has been doing to be a world class CB throughout his career whereas Upamenco needs to work on certain aspects to reach that bar, however, it was the 'Robin' comment, that for me, suggested a sizeable gulf between them that I was surprised by.

On one level, I see what you mean as, right now, Konate is much more the finished article, but on the other, a sidekick is just that, and that's not really what I consider Upamenco to be, rather, someone who is at a different stage in his development and understanding of the game to Konate.

Perhaps it's more than a simple case of maturity at different rates, but to me, the story for the two of them is far from concluded as we've no real idea where either of them will max out and have no more growth left in them.
Konate is considered the General by many observers of the player while IMO Upamecano is the complimentary CB. I can't ever see Upamecano being as dominant as Konate aerially for obvious reasons. Upamecano also has had an extra year of development at the Red Bull school which many don't know about. Upamecano's passing ability through the lines was also better but Konate was closing the gap in that regard and in some games I watched him play in, he was hitting 60, 70 yard pings with either foot with great accuracy. He just needs to become more consistent which will happen as he progresses. But what people don't know is that Konate was statistically the best CB in the BuLi at bringing the ball out of defence. Both players have room for improvement.

This reminds me of a debate I had in 2002 about two young kids who were in the SCP academy Ronaldo and Quaresma. The older Quaresma was consider the bigger talent by most SCP fans whilst Ronaldo was considered a talent but not on the same technical level as Quaresma who was said to be superior on the ball. It took a few years but eventually Ronaldo proved me right. Of course I could be wrong too..

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed description. Not seen much of either of them but you make a compelling argument for Konate. In that case I'm in.
I will keep you guys updated because I'll be watching both RBL and Gladbach regularly in the new season. Will update the relevant threads in the football forum.

He isn’t bad at all, but stats are almost useless for evaluating center backs. I mean, how many tackles per game did Rio make? It’s so dependent on both player’s and team’s playing style.

If anything with that low release clause in his contract you could argue there will be a shed load more clubs sniffing around Dayot. You won't get a better deal for a more talented CB.

So are you saying we should get him before the window closes or wait until next summer I am a little confused

So are you saying we should get him before the window closes or wait until next summer I am a little confused
Definitely now this summer if we can. Just pointing out there could be four or five clubs chasing him by next summer with that low release clause in play.

Mentioned further back in the thread that we should go in 15-20 mill more than his future release clause to get him in now. I rate him that highly, and would hate to miss out on him like we did way back for Varane.

Definitely now this summer if we can. Just pointing out there could be four or five clubs chasing him by next summer with that low release clause in play.

Mentioned further back in the thread that we should go in 15-20 mill more than his future release clause to get him in now. I rate him that highly, and would hate to miss out on him like we did way back for Varane.

Yeah completely agree with you and oh god it was Varane or Jones supposedly back in the summer of 2011 wasn't it

2019-2020 Season

Chris Smalling – 2.0

Harry Maguire – 1.9
Dayot Upamecano – 1.6
Victor Lindelof – 0.8

Chris Smalling – 4.2

Harry Maguire – 4.1
Victor Lindelof – 3.5
Dayot Upamecano – 3.2

Passing accuracy

Chris Smalling – 90.5%

Dayot Upamecano – 89.1%
Harry Maguire – 86.7%
Victor Lindelof – 86.5%

Goals

Chris Smalling – 3

Harry Maguire – 1
Victor Lindelof – 1
Dayot Upamecano – 0
there are chimps who say he was never a good defender but safe to ignore them

mostly people think he limits our progression from the back vs almost any other player in the role, i tend to agree

2019-2020 Season

Chris Smalling – 2.0

Harry Maguire – 1.9
Dayot Upamecano – 1.6
Victor Lindelof – 0.8

Chris Smalling – 4.2

Harry Maguire – 4.1
Victor Lindelof – 3.5
Dayot Upamecano – 3.2

Passing accuracy

Chris Smalling – 90.5%

Dayot Upamecano – 89.1%
Harry Maguire – 86.7%
Victor Lindelof – 86.5%

Goals

Chris Smalling – 3

Harry Maguire – 1
Victor Lindelof – 1
Dayot Upamecano – 0
Aerially worse than Lindelof? Not saying that isn't accurate because Upamecano is quite short for a CB but if you can kindly share the source of those stats I'd be interested cheers.

Seeing all this stats dick measuring only makes me remember Bruno was initially rejected because of stats.

Seeing all this stats dick measuring only makes me remember Bruno was initially rejected because of stats.
Stats have their purposes. But they make me nauseous and cringe at this point and so does over edited goals and skills highlights compilations at this point. There are tons of them.
A good ol' watching 90 mins of the player in a big match or if available a video/highlights of the Player vs Opposition Team (especially against top teams) with all the touches (without the bad passes and misses cut out of course) in a game sets more light into the player's abilities.

So we are not buying Sancho because of price but some posters think we will spend 50-60 mil on this kid after spending 40mil on VDB??
Pass me the pipe!

So we are not buying Sancho because of price but some posters think we will spend 50-60 mil on this kid after spending 40mil on VDB??
Pass me the pipe!
I actually think that's a very real possibility if Ogden is correct.

Pass me the pipe!

Actually might well be more chance of us signing this guy than Sancho which I know probably sounds nuts. Despite their cheeky tweets I would still imagine they are easier to deal with than Dortmund.

What's interesting is that Ogden is saying that the Sancho deal has hit a impasse not because of Dortmund's asking price but rather the money that's being asked by the player and agent.

Yeah, that was a shocker to me as well. Agents are scum.

Actually might well be more chance of us signing this guy than Sancho which I know probably sounds nuts. Despite their cheeky tweets I would still imagine they are easier to deal with than Dortmund.
Not nuts at all. If I wasn’t so faithful in my belief of Sancho’s arrival I’d have said that is the most likely outcome.

Ogden also says the higher ups need convincing before they shell out on Upamecano.

I personally can see why they'd have reservations after breaking the world transfer record on Maguire and still being asked for funds to sign someone to cover up for his defeciencies.

Don't expect many to agree with me.

I thought according to Romano, personal terms with the player are 100% agreed but Dortmund want more money upfront hence the silence so far. We have two exact contrast situations here from the foreign and English journos

Ogden also says the higher ups need convincing before they shell out on Upamecano.

I personally can see why they'd have reservations after breaking the world transfer record on Maguire and still being asked for funds to sign someone to cover up for his defeciencies.

That’s a fair point mate if he’s not making up the stories

I'm with you. The higher ups will say after spending 130 million on defenders last season, you're asking for another 50-60? Hmmm....

We got ripped off on both Maguire and AWB at those prices.

Raiola all over again but they why hasn't Romano mentioned there being an issue with fees yet

I don't know mate, personally I tend to believe the deal is dead because we couldn't agree a deal with Dortmund (120m EuR) by a certain date (early August deadline).

Konate is considered the General by many observers of the player while IMO Upamecano is the complimentary CB. I can't ever see Upamecano being as dominant as Konate aerially for obvious reasons. Upamecano also has had an extra year of development at the Red Bull school which many don't know about. Upamecano's passing ability through the lines was also better but Konate was closing the gap in that regard and in some games I watched him play in, he was hitting 60, 70 yard pings with either foot with great accuracy. He just needs to become more consistent which will happen as he progresses. But what people don't know is that Konate was statistically the best CB in the BuLi at bringing the ball out of defence. Both players have room for improvement.

This reminds me of a debate I had in 2002 about two young kids who were in the SCP academy Ronaldo and Quaresma. The older Quaresma was consider the bigger talent by most SCP fans whilst Ronaldo was considered a talent but not on the same technical level as Quaresma who was said to be superior on the ball. It took a few years but eventually Ronaldo proved me right. Of course I could be wrong too..
Just wondering, how did you think he looked alone this year with Konate out often?

Two, I would hope the disparity isn't as wide as the one you stated, and obviously, think a disparity of that level is unlikely. Hopefully more like Rooney/Ronaldo (Rooney was often considered the better player early on) if we end up buying Konate. Maybe something like Sneijder/Van Der Vaart, another situation of VDV being viewed as the superior talent, but Sneijder ending up the better player at their peaks. I feel Ronaldo hit the absolute ceiling of his potential, whereas Quaresma played around the level of his floor.

I'm with you. The higher ups will say after spending 130 million on defenders last season, you're asking for another 50-60? Hmmm....

We got ripped off on both Maguire and AWB at those prices.
I'd actually be more dissapointed if the higher ups didn't have reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.