Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think Jones will be a very decent signing for someone like Newcastle. I think he'll have loads of pressure off him and I think in turn he'll stop getting injured from being less erratic and calmer. I hope he gets that move.

Yea, this makes sense. He knows he's under a lot of pressure in Manchester and possibly leads to his eratic decisions and injuries.

Would be the best CB signing we could make.

I hope we pursue it!

Smalling/Jones/Rojo have no future here and i dont want to debate "Is Lindelof" good enough all next year as well - he's decent but can be upgraded upon. Simple as that.

Dayot comes as a starter and will probably easily be our best CB

Yea, this makes sense. He knows he's under a lot of pressure in Manchester and possibly leads to his eratic decisions and injuries.
Not sure if this is sarcastic, but I just have that feeling as @Tarrou says, I bet he'll play a full season and will be part of a decent defence for someone like Newcastle. He just can't deal with playing at this level.

Ogden also says the higher ups need convincing before they shell out on Upamecano.

I personally can see why they'd have reservations after breaking the world transfer record on Maguire and still being asked for funds to sign someone to cover up for his defeciencies.

Don't expect many to agree with me.
I am no fan of the Glazers or Woodward at all, but yes, I’d understand it. We spent a reported £217m on the defence in the last few years, getting Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Dalot & Bailly with it. Two of those can’t stay fit to save their life, & the other 3 wouldn’t look out of place playing for an Everton or a Wolves. Doesn’t really look like good value in hindsight. If Upamecano does have a questionable injury record then I can see the reservations in spending another €60m+ on him considering past acquisitions.

Going back even further we wasted £30m on Rojo & Darmian. Spent £30m on Shaw, who, while a solid left back, hasn’t been what we’d hoped he would become when we signed him, and also has a shocking injury record. Our defensive recruitment really has been atrocious for some time now. The one player I thought we got right, for a good price too, was Daley Blind, the first one we shifted :lol:

Last edited:
Ogden himself thinks it'll be done no?
Ogden in the video posted earlier in the thread by @Suedesi said that the problem isn't the transfer fee Dortmund are asking for but rather what the player and agent are demanding. He said the deal was at a impasse and from what he was hearing the outlook didn't look too bright.

Wasn't exactly those words but he seemed pretty down beat regarding our chances of completing the deal.

Ogden in the video posted earlier in the thread by @Suedesi said that the problem isn't the transfer fee Dortmund are asking for but rather what the player and agent are demanding. He said the deal was at a impasse and from what he was hearing the outlook didn't look too bright.

Wasn't exactly those words but he seemed pretty down beat regarding our chances of completing the deal.
Oh that's OK. I believe Romano over him in that regard.

That’s exactly what you want the other side to think in negotiations though. Whether it’s Dortmund or the agent we have a problem with they aren’t going to cave if they’re certain we’re going to.

That’s exactly what you want the other side to think in negotiations though. Whether it’s Dortmund or the agent we have a problem with they aren’t going to cave if they’re certain we’re going to.

I think the Agent fee will drop dramatically as the time goes on, the Agent would be stupid to not say yes to 10-20M, I know its a 'group' still like an agency, but still 50M is extortionate

Not sure if this is sarcastic, but I just have that feeling as @Tarrou says, I bet he'll play a full season and will be part of a decent defence for someone like Newcastle. He just can't deal with playing at this level.

Hahaha, no, it wasn't a sarcastic post.

I do like Jones. Always been professional enough. I hope he gets a move and can enjoy the rest of his career.

Fun while it lasted

Sky is blue. A very obvious news, given the situation ever since he signed the new deal and United didn't active the release clause last month. Still can't believe some people actually believed Ogden's news about us is still after him this summer.

I think the Agent fee will drop dramatically as the time goes on, the Agent would be stupid to not say yes to 10-20M, I know its a 'group' still like an agency, but still 50M is extortionate
If this is all about who blinks first and Sancho wants to come then the right time to bid is the week of their first game. If Jadon doesn’t start that first game because “his head isn’t right” then we get him for a lower price. For all the bluster from German fans in here if it’s true he’s homesick and wants to join us then we hold the cards. It’s not a sellers market anymore.

Anyway back on to Dayot. Falk is known for being a bit hit and miss outside Bayern isn’t he?

Konate is considered the General by many observers of the player while IMO Upamecano is the complimentary CB. I can't ever see Upamecano being as dominant as Konate aerially for obvious reasons. Upamecano also has had an extra year of development at the Red Bull school which many don't know about. Upamecano's passing ability through the lines was also better but Konate was closing the gap in that regard and in some games I watched him play in, he was hitting 60, 70 yard pings with either foot with great accuracy. He just needs to become more consistent which will happen as he progresses. But what people don't know is that Konate was statistically the best CB in the BuLi at bringing the ball out of defence. Both players have room for improvement.

This reminds me of a debate I had in 2002 about two young kids who were in the SCP academy Ronaldo and Quaresma. The older Quaresma was consider the bigger talent by most SCP fans whilst Ronaldo was considered a talent but not on the same technical level as Quaresma who was said to be superior on the ball. It took a few years but eventually Ronaldo proved me right. Of course I could be wrong too..
The disparity isn't as wide but Konate has traits that Upamecano will never have because he's just much taller and athletically, physically, technically gifted to boot which is really telling when you watch him play. He not only excells in a deep block due to his monster aerial ability he's also very strong at maintaining a high-line and enforcing high pressure. For me he looks the most complete young CB in Europe and is the closest CB potential wise to Van Dyke.

Upamecano has had a very good season no question but I don't see him being a dominant all round CB like a Van Dyke or Varane because he's noticeably shorter than both. He's more similar to the like of Umtiti in profile IMO. So next to Maguire it could be a very good partnership.
I think wires were crossed here due to the use of 'Robin,' which raised the geek eyebrow in me as it's a pointer to something very specific, imo. From your posts prior, it was clear you always rated Konate over Upamecano, but the 'Robin' term makes it sound like an absolute gulf between them, which I'm guessing you didn't mean to imply from your follow up posts.

I'm in agreement with your posts, by the way, just the Robin bit struck a chord as it's out there in terms of regard for Upamecano in his own right.

Time will tell and it may well become apparent that perhaps one is world class or perhaps one of the great ones of his generation whilst the other is rated lower; we'll see how it pans out.

Anyway, removed all that, your preference in an ideal world would be to skip Upamecano and go in for Konate a season from now?

I don’t see those as being related. Everyone knows we have an eye out for a CB, and Dayot is probably high on everyone’s lists.
We have only shown concrete evidence that we are interested in one so It leads me to think if we can get a suitable price on that one then that is the deal that would be done.

That depends on how much you believe in your asset. If Sancho is the real deal, he's only going to get better, wow more and put the icing on the cake during the Euros at which point he'll be worth even more, contrary to the ridiculous notion of him being cheaper next summer, pandemic or not.

High stakes stick or twist, but certainly not without merit.

Would hardly be a surprise that Ogden is way off the mark with his guesswork. I doubt we'll even be buying buying a centre back this summer, we've got far too many of them.

Would hardly be a surprise that Ogden is way off the mark with his guesswork. I doubt we'll even be buying buying a centre back this summer, we've got far too many of them.
Smalling is leaving and Rojo/Jones are both on the "for sale" list and even if one was to stay(both will leave IMO) we`d likely do a Schweinsteiger and stick them in the reserves till they leave later as they ain`t in Ole`s plans at all
We`d be quite short of options at the back if all 3 left you`d imagine

A bid will change the situation completely IMO. I do think Upamecano is the CB we want as the alternatives are not particularly cheap or attractive either. Pau Torres has a 50m release clause which is quite high for a rookie with just 1 good season and Monaco want Martial money for Badiashile even Leverkusen pulled out.
Let`s see how this develops before we completely rule out the chances we were always gonna have to pay north of 50m for Upamecano

Sky is blue. A very obvious news, given the situation ever since he signed the new deal and United didn't active the release clause last month. Still can't believe some people actually believed Ogden's news about us is still after him this summer.
I think what has happened is that because the VDB deal is done and the Sancho one is simply not happening the media machine know that Manchester United transfer speculation is the biggest show in town and when things aren’t happening speculation is made up and it happens every year.

Ogden also says the higher ups need convincing before they shell out on Upamecano.

I personally can see why they'd have reservations after breaking the world transfer record on Maguire and still being asked for funds to sign someone to cover up for his defeciencies.

Don't expect many to agree with me.
They shelled out a stupid amount for an overrated defender, and no one needed hindsight to know that. Trying to use that as a reason to avoid going for a genuinely top talent at the back would be rather baffling.

Let's not forget that Falk said this in May:

Exactly this. Some people take these so called experts tweets as gospel. He works for Bild, has good links with the German clubs, he will hardly say yes Dayot is available, it makes him contradict what the club are trying to do.

Even with the Sancho situation, he cannot say anything that will undermine Sancho, his interest are with the German clubs.

Smalling is leaving and Rojo/Jones are both on the "for sale" list and even if one was to stay(both will leave IMO) we`d likely do a Schweinsteiger and stick them in the reserves till they leave later as they ain`t in Ole`s plans at all
We`d be quite short of options at the back if all 3 left you`d imagine
They might be for sale but I doubt Jones will go anywhere, Rojo if we're lucky. I would just keep Smalling rather than rely on Bailly and Tuanzebe to stay fit.

Falk is just as hit and miss as the rest of them. He is normally good with Bayern though.

I actually think Jones will be a very decent signing for someone like Newcastle. I think he'll have loads of pressure off him and I think in turn he'll stop getting injured from being less erratic and calmer. I hope he gets that move.

An injury prone CB who has the football brain of an 18 year old is useless for any club

I think wires were crossed here due to the use of 'Robin,' which raised the geek eyebrow in me as it's a pointer to something very specific, imo. From your posts prior, it was clear you always rated Konate over Upamecano, but the 'Robin' term makes it sound like an absolute gulf between them, which I'm guessing you didn't mean to imply from your follow up posts.

I'm in agreement with your posts, by the way, just the Robin bit struck a chord as it's out there in terms of regard for Upamecano in his own right.

Time will tell and it may well become apparent that perhaps one is world class or perhaps one of the great ones of his generation whilst the other is rated lower; we'll see how it pans out.

Anyway, removed all that, your preference in an ideal world would be to skip Upamecano and go in for Konate a season from now?
The Batman and Robin reference was coined because Konate is the commanding CB as far as his presence is concerned and he takes the initiative when defending, especially against the high ball into the box. I personally judge a CB in todays game on two things. 1. Can he defend in a deep defensive line. 2 - Can he maintain a high line and enforce high pressure. Konate excells in both but I wouldn't say Upamecano does yet in both. But that doesn't mean he's not a very talented CB in the making, but for me he's a complimentary CB that would work well with Maguire.

I could be wrong because young players sometimes surprise you and improve facets of their game when it didn't seem likely. But i'm not one to sit on the fence and my personal preference would be for us to wait until next summer and watch both players at RBL before making a definitive decision. I think if Konate shows the same form he showed in the 18/19 season there will be a clamour for his signature and it's reported his dream destination is the EPL.. And his agent is Jonathan Barnett who has a number of his clients on our books which would give us a advantage in negotiations in comparison to the German agency that represents Upamecano.

I'm gonna try and watch every game RBL play so will update the relevant threads in the Football forum and will be honest. If Konate is rubbish I will say so.

An injury prone CB who has the football brain of an 18 year old is useless for any club
It's not really rooted in fact, I just think at a lower level of expectation, he may find a lot of these problems aren't as exposed or prevalent.

I have seen that we had an offer knocked back for Benoît Badiashile from Monaco and I wonder if the interest in Dayot is just something being put out there so Monaco May think again and be realistic about the price they are asking for their player.
I just cannot see us forking out the amount that is talked about for Dayot.

Very interesting point, could be some truth to it.
Also, Upamecano is a Right footed CB, and we've been led to believe that United are interested in Left footed CB's, which Badiashile is.
Financially this makes so much sense, if we could sign VDB and Badiashile for a combined €70m this is less than the cost of Grealish or Maddison would have been, and that's 2 long term solutions in place.

It's not really rooted in fact, I just think at a lower level of expectation, he may find a lot of these problems aren't as exposed or prevalent.

There are circumstances when a player had messed so much that he become some sort of a joke. I am referring to players like Prunier or Stepanovs. Jones is on a similar standing. He's ridiculously injury prone, he plays with the maturity of an 18 year old and all people think about when he's mentioned is his facial expressions and the way he head butted the pitch.

Unfortunately He's here to stay as no one will give him a better contract to the one we gave him.

I'm genuinely unaware, as perhaps some people who casually view the forums, or guests browsing are too.

How do you know that Fredrik is, are there past cases where he is reliable?
Most recently he called van de Beek and our interest in Thiago before Falk and others jumped on it.

Falk is obviously reliable especially with Bayern but I'm going to trust Fredrik, Odgen and Edwards on this one.

The only issue with Smalling is he cannot play in a possession-based side. He's an amazing pure defender and has been for a long time.

We turn over possession more than wolves and many others so hardly a successful possession team

Status
Not open for further replies.