Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we do sign a CB, I'd rather we go for the safe route ala a Koulibaly type.

We've had poor luck with 'prospect' center halves over the last 9 years or so.

You do realize that Koulibaly is 29, Upamecano is 21, and Koulibaly is more expensive than Upamecano, right?

As great as it would be to think this board would go VDB, Upamecano, Sancho and Thiago, it just wont happen.

Plus, this is from Ogden only and no one else has weighed in.

Non starter.

As great as it would be to think this board would go VDB, Upamecano, Sancho and Thiago, it just wont happen.

Plus, this is from Ogden only and no one else has weighed in.

Non starter.

Personally would be ecstatic with just the first three,however would feel exactly the same if we could get Donny,Thiago & Sancho and get Dayot next summer

Seriously,

If they are sure they can land Alcantara and Upamecano, but the only problem is funds, then just sell Pogba now and get these two in.
Then you still have fund to push for Sancho this summer.

Alcantara is perfectly capable to fulfill Pogba's role, and he won't make those silly mistakes which Pogba always does where he losses possession while the team is in attacking transition.

Even in this market, Pogba's value will be around 85 millions. 30 for Alcantara and 55 mil for Upamecano. Thanks for the good memories Pog.

Seriously,

If they are sure they can land Alcantara and Upamecano, but the only problem is funds. Sell Pogba now and get these two in.

Alcantara is perfectly capable to fulfill Pogba's role, and he won't make those silly mistakes which Pogba always does where he losses possession while the team is in attacking transition.

Even in this market, Pogba's value will be around 85 millions. 30 for Alcantara and 55 mil for Upamecano. Thanks for the good memories Pog.
1, we’re obviously not selling Pogba.
2, who can afford him currently.
3, Thiago is able to play next to Pogba.
4, why would we want to weaken our squad by selling one of our best players

Seriously,

If they are sure they can land Alcantara and Upamecano, but the only problem is funds, then just sell Pogba now and get these two in.

If pogba refuses to sign a fair new long term contract in next weeks, I’d also think this would be a good strategy.

Pogba as straight swap for Thiago improves the first XI. As he also pointed out that would also allow for Sancho funds. Makes sense to me

I would rather see Tuanzabe given more chances than sign a new CB. If he can overcome his terrible spell with injuries, we could focus our money on Sancho, perhaps Thiago and a CF. Then if needed, a CB next season or in Jan.

Noone can afford pogba at 85m in this market is my suspiciion

1. Strange comment, I don't get why it's obvious, to me you can easily make a case for selling him, because of his injury record, and simple fact that he doesn't suit the style that Solskjaer is trying to implement, Pogba can't play in a double pivot in our system unless Matic is next to him. Otherwise he is a ticking bomb.

2. PSG, Juventus, Even Inter Milan would be interested for the right price.

3. No, I don't think a double pivot of Pogba & Alcantara will ever work. Unless we're playing against a very weak opponent and chasing result. Simply because Pogba has a serious spatial awareness problem, have issues protecting the ball while he's in possession sometimes, and in general have poor defensive numbers. To me he's more of a 10 than an actual 8 in a double pivot.

4. Read the post again, I said if we're sure we can land both Alcantara & Upamecano and the only problem was funds. You sort out 2 different positions and still have funds for Sancho. So actually this will strengthen our squad.

People argue that Alcantara has a poor injury record, while Pogba has a worse record in that matter.

This makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan
1. Strange comment, I don't get why it's obvious, to me you can make a case to sell him, because of his injury record, and simple fact that he doesn't suit the style that Solskjaer is trying to implement, Pogba can't play in a double pivot in our system unless Matic is next to him. Otherwise he is a ticking bomb.

3. No, I don't think a double pivot of Pogba & Alcantara will ever work. Unless we're playing against a very weak opponent and chasing result. Simply because Pogba has a serious spatial awareness problem, have issues protecting the ball while he's in possession sometimes, and in general have poor defensive numbers. To me he's more of a 10 than an actual 8 in a double pivot.

4. Read the post again, I said if we're sure we can land both Alcantara & Upamecano and the only problem was funds. You sort out 2 different positions and still have funds for Sancho.

People argue that Alcantara has a poor injury record, while Pogba has a worse record in that matter.

Pogba isn’t getting sold so all that is a bit pointless.

1. Strange comment, I don't get why it's obvious, to me you can make a case to sell him, because of his injury record, and simple fact that he doesn't suit the style that Solskjaer is trying to implement, Pogba can't play in a double pivot in our system unless Matic is next to him. Otherwise he is a ticking bomb.

4. Read the post again, I said if we're sure we can land both Alcantara & Upamecano and the only problem was funds. You sort out 2 different positions and still have funds for Sancho.

1, We're obviously not selling him this summer, because every rumour that has come out is that he's staying. Obvious thing is obvious.
2, PSG - perhaps, but the other two are probably not spending 85 mill on one player this summer. If the price is right infers that we could sell for cheaper.
3, Goretzka pushes far further forward than Pogba does and leaves Thiago on his own for quite a lot of the game. It can work.
4, I read your post, but the club's position is selling the deadwood and bringing in quality players. We aren't selling arguably our best player.

Posts such as yours are a nice little thought exercise, but we can know to a 99% certainty that the club aren't even entertaining such an idea this summer.

Anyway back to Upamecano and away from the subliminal #Pogbaout posts

One of those signings that makes too much sense for us. We'll pay over the odds for someone like Badiashile instead.

If a opportunity presents itself...

Ogden wasn't the only one who reported our interest in Upamecano, The Telegraph also backed him up.

Something is being cooked..
I just hope this isn’t at the expense of Sancho, if we got him and Sancho I think we all owe Ed an apology that we would be delighted to give :lol:

1, We're obviously not selling him this summer, because every rumour that has come out is that he's staying. Obvious thing is obvious.
2, PSG - perhaps, but the other two are probably not spending 85 mill on one player this summer. If the price is right infers that we could sell for cheaper.
3, Goretzka pushes far further forward than Pogba does and leaves Thiago on his own for quite a lot of the game. It can work.
4, I read your post, but the club's position is selling the deadwood and bringing in quality players. We aren't selling arguably our best player.

Posts such as yours are a nice little thought exercise, but we can know to a 99% certainty that the club aren't even entertaining such an idea this summer.

Anyway back to Upamecano and away from the subliminal #Pogbaout posts

I was reading your post with great respect for all your points which are fair. It's a fans forum anyway so it's basically for thought experiments. Non of us can do anything else really.

Then I reach the part where you think I have an agenda, well, it was good while it lasted.

The Times article is alittle vague. They're saying he will cost £37.5m which is his release clause. But that release clause doesn't come into effect until next year according to reliable German media outlets.

The Times article is alittle vague. They're saying he will cost £37.5m which is his release clause. But that release clause doesn't come into effect until next year according to reliable German media outlets.

I think the only way this transfer happens is by paying well above his release clause for next year.

Adrian Kajumba is reporting our interest too. Upa :drool:
Adrian Kajumba: Manchester United have reignited their long-standing interest in Dayot Upamecano as they attempt to follow up the imminent capture of Donny van de Beek.

United are ready to try and prise centre back Upamecano away from RB Leipzig. The 21-year-old is viewed as one of the best young defenders in Europe.

He also says that there's no release clause so United will have to pay a hefty fee for him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-Upamecano-partner-Harry-Maguire-defence.html

Maybe we're aren't signing Sancho if we're gonna shell out £60 million for Upamecano?

Didn't think there was any chance of this one this summer but I'm getting slowly pulled back in. If we were to somehow pull off VdB, Sancho and Upamecano with respectable outgoings after how we were looking last week that'd an 9/10 window at least for me.

Our issue isnt goals conceded. Its scoring more goals. We need to make up for the 25-30+ goals diff between those currently above us. Thats a much higher priority if we are to compete.
We will score more goals if the CBs can maintain a high-line which will allow even our deep lying midfielders to play inside the opposition half. We can't do that effectively with Lindelof and Maguire in tandem.

The hope is I suppose that we offer more than the release clause to get him now as he's surely off when the clause is active next summer. Amazed that he wasn't picked up this summer, but maybe there's more to it than is known..

We will score more goals if the CBs can maintain a high-line which will allow even our deep lying midfielders to play inside the opposition half. We can't do that effectively with Lindelof and Maguire in tandem.

Good point.

The hope is I suppose that we offer more than the release clause to get him now as he's surely off when the clause is active next summer. Amazed that he wasn't picked up this summer, but maybe there's more to it than is known..
It was reported that his release clause was €60m before he extended with RBL. So I think an offer close to the previous release clause could tempt RBL into selling rather than see him leave for the reported €42m next season.

Pogba as straight swap for Thiago improves the first XI. As he also pointed out that would also allow for Sancho funds. Makes sense to me
Like many this window, you are ignoring the unique current circumstances. There is no buyer for Pogba in the current market.

These hairbrained "sell x player to raise y funds for z player" schemes completely ignore current financial realities.

What do you think of these new rumours? Likely this window?

Do you think that bad experience in the past will hinder our future chances of being able to sign him
I doubt it. Different structure, different people involved, he'd be coming in as a first teamer & apparently he likes the club

Also Times and Telegraph have reported this but it's not by ManUtd reporters.

What do you think of these new rumours? Likely this window?
I just get this feeling that United are about to go on a madness in the transfer market.

If we pulled off Upamecano, Sancho along with Van de Beek. Then this forum will be in raptures.

There's something going on regarding Upamecano it seems with multiple reliable outlets/journos backing the original report from Mark Ogden.

Status
Not open for further replies.