Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could argue that if we had a better defensive line we would have held onto matches we ended up giving away a draw. Can't recall the exact number but we gave away something like 7-8 wins after conceding a goal, some late. A single CB may not correct that and DDG is also at fault for many of them. I get your point though, outscore the oponent and we win all 3 points.
The biggest difference between us and City/Liverpool is not the number we concede but the number we score. I know we Bruno partly solved our goalscoring woes when he arrived but the more match winners you have in the team the better. I also recall the thread on here that showed a greater correlation between scoring the most goals and winning the league compared to conceding the least and winning the league.

I would love it to happen but we have Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Tuanzebe and Bailly, that's 5 CDs that we pay every week for no benefit at all to the club. I don't see us buying anyone here until we move on at least two if not three.

Rojo hasn't even been in the country for like a year and his contract is over in June. Smalling has a suitor(s) and has value, so he has a strong potential to be sold. Tuanzebe is young and if he's smart, he'd bide his time and overcome his injuries almost like TFM did. Jones is complete deadwood and United are stuck with him for 3 more years. Bailly's contract is over in June 2022.

So within 3 years, United's CBs can be Maguire, Lindelof, Upamecano/new CB, Tuanzebe (contract expires June 2022), Mengi, Jones (contract ends June 2023).

It's the right time to plan to add another CB when Smalling can go at any moment, Rojo is gone in 10 months.

If Ben Chilwell is 50M then I am happy to pay 45M for Upamecano in this window
True. As long as there are no "hidden" agents fees.
For example Haaland moved to Borussia for a reported 20 million euros.
But Raiola received a further 15 m, and Haaland s father another 10 million.
So the cost went up to 45 million
https://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2019/12/30/5e0a149f46163f38768b4636.html
On top of that, a release clause was inserted which allows Haaland to move for a fixed fee of 70 million.
So if Haaland is worth 100million in year or two, Raiola and his father will demand the extra 30 million.

The biggest difference between us and City/Liverpool is not the number we concede but the number we score. I know we Bruno partly solved our goalscoring woes when he arrived but the more match winners you have in the team the better. I also recall the thread on here that showed a greater correlation between scoring the most goals and winning the league compared to conceding the least and winning the league.
Yes but we lost a lot of games by conceding goals where you feel Liverpool would not have. Balance is the key. Liverpool have a balanced team.

Also the better the defenders are, the more relaxed the forwards can be and end up scoring more goals anyway.

We should but only if we can get rid of a few centre backs like Jones ,Rojo, Maybe Lindelof
Agreed but at the same time it’s difficult to shift them, Should we lose out on a potentially world class centre back because of the mess we already have on the bench in the same position?

Next year a lot of clubs will be in for him.

Yes but we lost a lot of games by conceding goals where you feel Liverpool would not have. Balance is the key. Liverpool have a balanced team.

Also the better the defenders are, the more relaxed the forwards can be and end up scoring more goals anyway.
We also lost a lot of games because we couldn't score whereas Liverpool would have.

There were 17 games when we dropped points last season either scoring 0 goals or 1 goal.

Look what happened to City whenever Kompany or Laporte were injured. Defense is key, even in high scoring teams.

We also lost a lot of games because we couldn't score whereas Liverpool would have.

There were 17 games when we dropped points last season either scoring 0 goals or 1 goal.
True. Well, I assume the stats are correct. But in those games you mention, clean sheets would turn them into draws and wins, n’est ce pas?

This is funny.

We really should have put the bid in before he renewed his contract. Very much post-Fergie United to waste weeks 'focusing' on Sancho, then realise a guy who just signed a new deal elsewhere is a player we want to add to our squad. :rolleyes:

This is funny.

We really should have put the bid in before he renewed his contract. Very much post-Fergie United to waste weeks 'focusing' on Sancho, then realise a guy who just signed a new deal elsewhere is a player we want to add to our squad. :rolleyes:

Yeah we really should

This is funny.

Suggests the Sancho deal is dead and we're using the money elsewhere imo.

Suggests the Sancho deal is dead and we're using the money elsewhere imo.
Which may be not that bad in the end of the day if “elsewhere” means players of Upamecano and Thiago calibre - team will become stronger than it was this year

Which may be not that bad in the end of the day if “elsewhere” means players of Upamecano and Thiago calibre - team will become stronger than it was this year

Yeah but the problem is it still doesn't solve the issue we have had on the RW since the days of Nani

Yeah but the problem is it still doesn't solve the issue we have had on the RW since the days of Nani
But it would have solved several other issues at least. That’s already an improvement - and we have way too many areas in need of improvement.

We are not doing that. Think Sancho deal is dead for now. We are just moving to other areas and strengthening. (If we are actually in for Dayot)

Who knows, time will tell. Personally think we would have went for Grealish over DVD if the Sancho deal was dead. Not seen enough of him but from the tiny amount I have seen, would certainly hope we are in for Upamecano over Badiashile. Think people are obsessing over left footed centre backs, only one for me and that would be Romagnoli, apart from him Upamecano has been the centre back I have wanted us to sign the last couple of years so I do hope there is truth in these links

That is what i was saying. Lindelof and Harry our first choice pair and third reliable defender would be great. But problem is selling.
In ideal squad setup you need 3 first choice defenders (Victor, Harry, Upamecano) one good backup (Bailly) and one younger (Tuanzebe or Mengi).
I can't see that we can sell Rojo, Jones and Smalling in this window

Why not? Smalling is almost sold already, Rojo is definately not coming back so some kind of deal surely will be done. The only problematic one really is Jones. And I know he has been injured and awful for a while now, but he is still a young player, versatile and has been a regular England international. Apart from the wages and injuries, still think he could be a very good deal for several premiership sides, especially if he is sold for a very small fee. Half of any fee for Upamecano would be raised by these sales and his wages would also certainly be covered from selling these three players...in fact without knowing the figures or what Upamecano would be paid, I would have thought with the transfer sales and extra wages saved, most of the deal would be covered

He had a terrific Champions League but shouldn't we have signed him before he extended his contract this summer and RB increasing his release clause from £40m?
What is Upemecano's release clause now, I could imagine its either £60m or £80m?

I also worry if we actually have the funds to sign VDB, Sancho + Upamecano and I think the attacking signing is more of a priority as I think that is what will win us more points over a season.
This is exactly how I feel about it, too. A great CB added to an already relatively solid defence and we might concede a goal less or two (or we will not). A great attacking player on the hand is a game changer.

Look what happened to City whenever Kompany or Laporte were injured. Defense is key, even in high scoring teams.
They also played great without them. The season of 2017/18 they got 100 points and neither Laporte nor Kompany played half of the matches.

I see him like Sancho but for CB's. Right now, we know we need a center back and a right winger, and there are 2 standout brilliant options who would walk in, at great ages. Sancho looks like we are being priced out of right now, so we have to go for him to sort out another problem area. Long term get them both.

He had a terrific Champions League but shouldn't we have signed him before he extended his contract this summer and RB increasing his release clause from £40m?
What is Upemecano's release clause now, I could imagine its either £60m or £80m?
His previous release clause was 60mil. With reports thst next summer it will be 42mil so I’m guessing the plan would be to try and get him now And come to some sort of agreement for 50 or something.

His previous release clause was 60mil. With reports thst next summer it will be 42mil so I’m guessing the plan would be to try and get him now And come to some sort of agreement for 50 or something.

I would assume Leipzig is evaluating Upamecano's contributions in the coming season a lot higher than just 8M. They have been great in recent years but their position in the top4 is not as settled as you may think and losing out on the Champions League would not only be very costly but also damaging to their project to compete for the Bundesliga title within the next five years.

Anything under 60M probably isn't even of real interest to Leipzig.

Maybe one of the posters knowledgeable in youth players will know:

@khoazany @Mr. MUJAC @jb8521 @limerickcitykid
Basically at the time we didn't have a head of the academy between McClair leaving & when Butt took over & the head of academy recruitment was on the way out as well so another member of staff(who has since left) was doing the negotiations & went back on the initial agreement trying to save the club what in the bigger picture would have been a very small amount of money & ended up pissing off Upamecano's family & agent.

Basically at the time we didn't have a head of the academy between McClair leaving & when Butt took over & the head of academy recruitment was on the way out as well so another member of staff(who has since left) was doing the negotiations & went back on the initial agreement trying to save the club what in the bigger picture would have been a very small amount of money & ended up pissing off Upamecano's family & agent.

Do you think that bad experience in the past will hinder our future chances of being able to sign him

I dont think we should go for him, does he not have a bad injury record? Don't want more injury prone defenders, we already have 3 thats always injured.

He seems to have all the tools to become a world beater. Not often a talent like this is available who already looks so bloody dominant at his age.

Chequebook out again please, Ed.

I dont think we should go for him, does he not have a bad injury record? Don't want more injury prone defenders, we already have 3 thats always injured.

If you look at his injury record since he broke through there was a knee problem last year where he missed 18 games but that could happen to anyone

If you look at his injury record since he broke through there was a knee problem last year where he missed 18 games but that could happen to anyone
Yeah, one serious injury is not the same as being injury prone. Those concerns are overblown; I guess we are all just so paranoid about it.

Once bitten, twice shy. Though I guess with us and defenders it’s more like thrice bitten and then some.

If there's a chance to sign him then Solskjaer should push to sign him. Because things could go south really fast if he doesn't get the personnel he needs to implement his style. So I would hope he puts pressure on the board to back him.

Upamecano is a CB who is adept at playing the style Ole wants to implement. Upamecano is also more experienced at playing within such a setup than any CB we have at the club.

What about Konate?
I thought he was hot property not so long ago?
He's recovering from injury but from what I've seen Konate is Batman and Upamecano is Robin.

But from Solskjaer's perspective he really shouldn't wait on Konate because things could go south really quick in the coming season. So IMO if he can sign Upamecano he should push the boat with the board and sign him.

If there's a chance to sign him then Solskjaer should push to sign him. Because things could go south really fast if he doesn't get the personnel he needs to implement his style. So I would hope he puts pressure on the board to back him.

Upamecano is a CB who is adept at playing the style Ole wants to implement. Upamecano is also more experienced at playing within such a setup than any CB we have at the club.

Yeah Ole should definitely push to sign him because will be a lot more competition to sign him if we wait for release clause to be activated

Status
Not open for further replies.