Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand why RB would lower his release clause after a new deal is signed. Something weird about that, maybe it could be done if we paid enough now
His contract was due to expire in 2021, now a clause kicks in instead. Basically a safeguard to prevent him leaving for nothing.

Too lazy to read back - how legit is this? Any reputable sources claiming we're actually in for him?
One fairly reputable has said Ole is interested in him but would have to convince Woodward & Judge to get him. He has a €53m release clause which becomes active in summer 2021, so would cost more this summer.

One fairly reputable has said Ole is interested in him but would have to convince Woodward & Judge to get him. He has a €53m release clause which becomes active in summer 2021, so would cost more this summer.

If Ben Chilwell is 50M then I am happy to pay 45M for Upamecano in this window

Assuming convincing the board would involve a load of algorithmic big data to prove he solves quantitative problems our defence currently has?

What I worry about is Bailey came in with similar big hype. I remember his Villarreal highlights were beastly, with him often keeping Messi in his pocket. Pacey center back with great physical attributes, in a tougher league than Bundasliga. Only to come here and implode.

He didn't implode at the start, he was beast pre-injury, he looks like he can become one of CB in the world, he had all the physical attributes to be a world-class CB and would be a nightmare to play against for attacking players.

After two injuries, he suddenly becomes an injury-prone and could never stay fit. Injuries ruined Bailly mentally and psychically so he wasn't the same as pre-injury Bailly.

If we do sign a CB, I'd rather we go for the safe route ala a Koulibaly type.

We've had poor luck with 'prospect' center halves over the last 9 years or so.

If we do sign a CB, I'd rather we go for the safe route ala a Koulibaly type.

We've had poor luck with 'prospect' center halves over the last 9 years or so.
Your 'safe' route is a near 30 y/o CB that will cost around 70-80m...

He quite literally starts week in and week out for Leipzig already :lol:

If the club want to wait for his clause to be cheaper next summer then that's their prerogative but I very much doubt that we'd win a straight race for his signature with many more top clubs involved given our past history with him

Starting for RBL every week vs starting every week at Manchester United are two very different tasks.

Right - thanks.

Sounds pretty steep, then. Would have to get some kind of covid discount to make that a reasonable deal, I'd say. Looks a good player, by all means, but...well.

If we actually go for something like that (i.e. paying MORE than his release clause at this point) it would indicate a) that we have more money to burn than many think or b) that Ole is very unhappy with his options (as unhappy as some Caf members, you could say).

I think United did make an enquiry but probably have been told to come back next year with a bid while they want him there for another season

Should snap him up for 50m. Seems to have everything in the admittedly few games I've seen him. Like any young defender he'll make mistakes but his ability bringing it out is something we miss hugely

We've spent around that much on 'young and promising' CBs since Rio and Vidic. And that's not including the £80million we splurged on Harry Maguire last summer. Yet here we are back in the market for another. Its clear our transfer policy regarding defenders hasn't worked.

Look at Liverpool signing a 28 year old VVD for £75million despite his questionable injury record. Seems to have worked well for them.

£70-80m for a player who had never played in the PL, who had been outperformed by our own CB that is deemed surplus to requirements.

Add in a massive 4 year contact - and that’s the sort of deal we would have done before OGS.

He said safe route, yet KK has massive flop written all over him. No thanks.

What is his height? From the videos, he doesn’t look as a particularly tall player...

I went to Schalke v Leipzig earlier this year and he was brilliant. Looked like he was playing the game at half pace. Really stood out.

I would love it to happen but we have Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Tuanzebe and Bailly, that's 5 CDs that we pay every week for no benefit at all to the club. I don't see us buying anyone here until we move on at least two if not three.

I went to Schalke v Leipzig earlier this year and he was brilliant. Looked like he was playing the game at half pace. Really stood out.
Yes. That's exactly what I thought when watching the video. He was strolling much like a certain Liverpool defender.

Given a £40m release clause next summer, is £50m worth it to Leipzig? For the sake of an extra £10m they may decide to keep him for an extra year. Might take £60+m to tempt them.

I also worry if we actually have the funds to sign VDB, Sancho + Upamecano and I think the attacking signing is more of a priority as I think that is what will win us more points over a season.

Given a £40m release clause next summer, is £50m worth it to Leipzig? For the sake of an extra £10m they may decide to keep him for an extra year. Might take £60+m to tempt them.

I also worry if we actually have the funds to sign VDB, Sancho + Upamecano and I think the attacking signing is more of a priority as I think that is what will win us more points over a season.
You could argue that if we had a better defensive line we would have held onto matches we ended up giving away a draw. Can't recall the exact number but we gave away something like 7-8 wins after conceding a goal, some late. A single CB may not correct that and DDG is also at fault for many of them. I get your point though, outscore the oponent and we win all 3 points.

Really talented player. Would love it if he joined us but can't see it happening after he just signed a new contract.

If we manage to get him I could forgive Ed for all the feck ups he has done over the last year's.

Status
Not open for further replies.