Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
People asking why we didn't make the move for him before he signed the new contract can thank Covid-19 for that.

In a normal season we would have seen his Atletico performance in April and have a couple of months to move for the player in the summer window. As it turned out, he signed his new contract, as normal, date dependent, and then all suitors got to see him in a big CL game that would have made their collective minds up about him.

You might ask why, if we're going to move for him anyway, we didn't pull the trigger early, but seeing those kind of CL performances tends to be the icing on the cake which turns maybes into certainties.

That is a very valid point indeed

I dont understand why RB would lower his release clause after a new deal is signed. Something weird about that, maybe it could be done if we paid enough now

Is strange. My reading of it is they didnt want him to go super cheap this summer with only a year on contract left and agreed an extension with a lower release clause in a year so if a club comes in for him he still goes for a decent fee maybe?

Not hugey excited about VDB as a signing.....but if it means we can buy Sancho, VDB and Upamecano....that would be an excellent window....all be it a player or two short but cant have everything we need this summer

Too lazy to read back - how legit is this? Any reputable sources claiming we're actually in for him?

A low buy out is a way for the player to secure a very high salary with the new club. If he didn’t sign at all the club might be pissed off and put him on the bench. This is my guess at least. Or he likes it at Leipzig. Got to play CL semis after all.
I think the UCL would have had something to do with it. Especially after Werner

Zero chance that we are looking for him. We spent 80 mil on defender last year, we have Lindelof with who Ole is very happy, we have dozen central defenders in club and we can't sell even decent defender like Smalling. On top of that we don't have enough money for him, winger and de Beek.

Zero sense in buying defender. (Unless we sell Jones, Smalling and Rojo).

Best CB we could realistically sign, but dont think it's likely.

Damn, how insecure can you get?
Whats wrong with the German teams? Do they feel so small to be responding with such childish tweets? Is this a German v England thing? I don't remember Bayern Munich tweeting this kind of stuff when Toni Kroos went to Madrid. Very weird behaviour.

40 million or 0?
Why would it be 0? Easily to me could have been the same amount as the old release with a promise to sell. Good work by his agent but poor by the club if you ask me. Better to sell this summer and reinvest

Why would it be 0? Easily to me could have been the same amount as the old release with a promise to sell. Good work by his agent but poor by the club if you ask me. Better to sell this summer and reinvest

Club would have preferred no release clause but if player prefer to sign contract with only 40 million release clause then there isn't much club can do. If they get their way, they wouldn't sell him as they are ambitious club. Now they will have one of their best defender for one more season.

IMO it's a good relationship between club and player. He could have easily waited one more year and left for nothing or left for small fee but instead he chose to extend. Also club accepted reasonable clause for that.

Whats wrong with the German teams? Do they feel so small to be responding with such childish tweets? Is this a German v England thing? I don't remember Bayern Munich tweeting this kind of stuff when Toni Kroos went to Madrid. Very weird behaviour.
Probably. That and they no doubt have an inferiority complex about the Premier League and it’s clubs.

Then again I could be talking through my arse, but if it were the other way around I bet we would as well (in regard to the leagues.)

And I think that's what will most likely happen, he will be sold this summer IMO. United should go for him, he is young but he's a great prospect and already a solid defender with still the occasional lapse of concentration that comes with being that young. I think he's possibly the second best defender at United now if he came with the potential of becoming the best in the near future. Next summer, his signing will be far more challenging with a price affordable to most clubs, even those struggling for money right now.

Zero chance that we are looking for him. We spent 80 mil on defender last year, we have Lindelof with who Ole is very happy, we have dozen central defenders in club and we can't sell even decent defender like Smalling. On top of that we don't have enough money for him, winger and de Beek.

United apparently were very close to signing him as a teenager but got hung up on some other non-playing issues. They've surely tracked him now since a few years ago. But it's widely known that United have been looking for a young CB to incorporate into the mix. Smalling would go back to Roma as he's pretty much guaranteed a starting position. Only Maguire and Lindelof are completely relied upon by Ole. Bailly is such a hit or miss.

Rojo has been banished. Jones is just a person who happens to collect money but spends his time recovering from his latest monthly injury. Tuanzebe is young, but he's been hit with significant injuries every other year. Mengi is too young to be relied upon. Essentially, United went through most of last season with 2.5 CBs. That's not going to fly this year, especially with CL.

Don't know much about him, but I like the profile. Young and upcoming, The Toxic One would still be drooling over someone like Boateng.

You would need a shotgun during negotiation to get those two over the line.

Rojo offers experience, has been a finalist in a world cup, and 2-3 teams in a Copa america final, has won the Europa League, he's just turned 30.

He's worth £3m at the very least, Jones is a good CB when fit for a PL team, again he's worth at least £3-5M

He quite literally starts week in and week out for Leipzig already :lol:

If the club want to wait for his clause to be cheaper next summer then that's their prerogative but I very much doubt that we'd win a straight race for his signature with many more top clubs involved given our past history with him

I think it depends, if our current project takes a couple of steps forward we will be attractive in a football sense as I feel right now the clubs stature is the one attracting the players.

Since most of the noises are coming from English journalists, the positive side of me wants to believe it is some kind of a brief while club tries to seal the deal with some other CB without much noise. Badiashile news incoming soon.

United apparently were very close to signing him as a teenager but got hung up on some other non-playing issues. They've surely tracked him now since a few years ago. But it's widely known that United have been looking for a young CB to incorporate into the mix. Smalling would go back to Roma as he's pretty much guaranteed a starting position. Only Maguire and Lindelof are completely relied upon by Ole. Bailly is such a hit or miss.

Rojo has been banished. Jones is just a person who happens to collect money but spends his time recovering from his latest monthly injury. Tuanzebe is young, but he's been hit with significant injuries every other year. Mengi is too young to be relied upon. Essentially, United went through most of last season with 2.5 CBs. That's not going to fly this year, especially with CL.
That is what i was saying. Lindelof and Harry our first choice pair and third reliable defender would be great. But problem is selling.
In ideal squad setup you need 3 first choice defenders (Victor, Harry, Upamecano) one good backup (Bailly) and one younger (Tuanzebe or Mengi).
I can't see that we can sell Rojo, Jones and Smalling in this window

Can’t see us paying £50m now when he’s so young and available for less next summer.

That is what i was saying. Lindelof and Harry our first choice pair and third reliable defender would be great. But problem is selling.
In ideal squad setup you need 3 first choice defenders (Victor, Harry, Upamecano) one good backup (Bailly) and one younger (Tuanzebe or Mengi).
I can't see that we can sell Rojo, Jones and Smalling in this window

A deal for Smalling will be agreed with Roma as soon as United sign another player.

In fact, the deal to shift Smalling would be announced the day before a story of a new CB takes wind, because United would want the latest headline.

A fee would already be agreed for Smalling around £18M already but until another CB is identified he just won't be moved on.

Come on man. Your argument doesn't add up. Why has Ole bought a midfielder when we have loads of midfielders? Its called squad improvement my man. Lindelof and Maguire can be a comedy act sometimes, its an area that needs improving as a matter of urgency. And you count Jones and Rojo as defenders, when did they last play for the team? Its pretty much obvious that a defender is being looked at. Sometimes I don't get it with fans. How can anyone look at Maguire and Lindelof and say yes we are fine . We are in Champions league and the defenders will be tested with top class forwards and tricky players like Alfonso Davies. We need to strengthen in that area no doubt about that. Even left back needs updating, Shaw is an injury prone player.

What is the story with Tuanzebe? If all these rumours about Ole wanting new younger defender are true then Tuanzebe is fecked. Year ago he was labelled by fans as next big thing and now he enters in new season as 4th or 5th option. With new defender and Mengi coming from youth, Tuanzebe's future is somewhere else i guess

Come on man. Your argument doesn't add up. Why has Ole bought a midfielder when we have loads of midfielders? Its called squad improvement my man. Lindelof and Maguire can be a comedy act sometimes, its an area that needs improving as a matter of urgency. And you count Jones and Rojo as defenders, when did they last play for the team? Its pretty much obvious that a defender is being looked at. Sometimes I don't get it with fans. How can anyone look at Maguire and Lindelof and say yes we are fine . We are in Champions league and the defenders will be tested with top class forwards and tricky players like Alfonso Davies. We need to strengthen in that area no doubt about that. Even left back needs updating, Shaw is an injury prone player.
As i said; we can't afford to have that many defenders. I don't count on Jones, Smalling, Rojo by any chance. I don't count even on Tuanzebe and Bailly because they are made of glass (i like them but who needs defender who is always injured).
But, we can't sell any of them except maybe Smalling. That was my point

As i said; we can't afford to have that many defenders. I don't count on Jones, Smalling, Rojo by any chance. I don't count even on Tuanzebe and Bailly because they are made of glass (i like them but who needs defender who is always injured).

Real have Bale rotting behind the scenes, not even on the bench. Thats what big clubs sometimes have to do. We can have the 5 defenders you mention doing the same. Sold or not sold we still need a CB better than them all.

What is the story with Tuanzebe? If all these rumours about Ole wanting new younger defender are true then Tuanzebe is fecked. Year ago he was labelled by fans as next big thing and now he enters in new season as 4th or 5th option. With new defender and Mengi coming from youth, Tuanzebe's future is somewhere else i guess

He’s too injury prone, I feel for him but what can we do? An injured player is a useless player, even worse for a young player who needs to build his experience.

Liverpool also followed the same process with Keita. They paid more money than the release clause which was about to get kicked on later that summer (or did I remember it incorrectly?)

If we offer the amount of his old release clause, they'll sell. Leipzig are a selling club so I expect this to go through if we're willing to part with €55-60m.

RB Leipzig can barely be called a football club so the insecurity is understandable. With Dortmund it's probably being second fiddle to Bayern all these years that did their head in.

We don't really have issues selling players as we tend to ship them out for cheap prices. Utd are normally just concerned with getting players off the wage book when they are no longer needed. Utd often dispose of players who are no longer needed for bargain prices. I don't think we'll have any issues shipping out players Ole no longer wants at the club. Sanchez is a prime example of Utd happy to cut their losses with players and get rid of them.

Without a doubt a potential to become a great cb as he's only 21 but his injury record is worrying. For that reason I probably would pass on him.

Is strange. My reading of it is they didnt want him to go super cheap this summer with only a year on contract left and agreed an extension with a lower release clause in a year so if a club comes in for him he still goes for a decent fee maybe?

Not hugey excited about VDB as a signing.....but if it means we can buy Sancho, VDB and Upamecano....that would be an excellent window....all be it a player or two short but cant have everything we need this summer

We are not doing that. Think Sancho deal is dead for now. We are just moving to other areas and strengthening. (If we are actually in for Dayot)

Status
Not open for further replies.