Day 7 | Slovenia vs Serbia | Denmark vs England | Spain vs Italy

Moriarty

Get a goal after 18 minutes then sit back and invite the opposition on. It's beyond my ken that's for sure. I know the pace of the game at this level is not what it is in a league match but there seems to be a lack of urgency in the England side. As for this midfield set-up, we might pay for this in the 2nd half.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Bellingham is a very good player but I feel like he is a tactical problem with England's winger who are not the crossing type. His link up play in small spaces isn't optimal
If only they had a natural genius at creation and never wasting the ball just sitting on the bench….

PoTMS

You better hope that's the case
It is the case - despite you thinking he's England's second best manager after Sir Alf Ramsey. We have had our recent set of good results despite him being in charge, not because of him.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
If Man Utd ever appoint Southagte, you all need to stop watching football. And I'm serious about that.

arnoldS

Baffling. How can Southgate look in the mirror? While I think that this squad is overrated by the english media it has to do so much better. Scoring one goal and sitting back at minute 10 is absolutely wild.

AnotherLondonManc

One day I’ll watch a game where Saka actually stands out. He’s far too highly rated for my opinion of him being overrated to be true, but he’s always so meh when I watch him.
I assume you mean in an England shirt? Cos you could say that about pretty much all our players.

Or do you just never watch Arsenal play?

rajds89

It’s about time the “pundits” called out this shit setup from Gareth. It all comes from him.

Oranges038

Agreed. I hated the fact that he didn't pick a LB. It's so frustrating watching the ball make it to Trippier, and he cuts back on to his right every single time. Having even an average LB would be better than this.

The left side is awful.
Italy won the last Euros with Emerson Palmieri at left back. At these tournaments having a balanced side is better than trying to shove the 11 best available players onto the pitch.

Kirk lazarus

Lineker saying a truth . Kane is static . At some point it might be worth playing Bellingham there for 70 mins to run his nuts off . Isn't that how Madrid used him ?

ZainCRse7en

Can anybody tell me why the feck is Foden shooting from anywhere on the pitch everytime he gets the ball???

RopersReturn

Typical England. Great level of talent and boring football with barely any fun element to it. It amazes me that a country this crazy about football, is this incapable of producing a somewhat decent coach.
Just thank the English FA for their narrow mindedness.

Jev

Kane is very good but he always looks a bit of a problem to solve for England. With him pressing is very hard.
Yeah, I don’t watch England as much as most on here but to me it always looks like they’d be better with a more dynamic striker, like Watkins.

the_cliff

It's obvious that Southgate tells them to put 10 men behind the ball and defend 1-0 leads.

Pickford isn't good enough with his feet. Even in international football you can't get away with it.
I don't buy that. We weren't looking good before the 1-0 lead either. Here's the thing so far in 3 halves of football we've scored 2 goals both quite lucky as well. 1 deflected cross and one mistake by the defender followed by multiple deflections on a pass.

Even when we are controlling the ball, we're toothless. Compare this to the amount of chances Germany/Spain create against teams that sit deep it's night and day.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It is the case - despite you thinking he's England's second best manager after Sir Alf Ramsey. We have had our recent set of good results despite him being in charge, not because of him.
And you can still have them. You can't have good results if the players aren't fit

didz

Hjulmand's goal is better every time you see it. Shades of Scholes.

90 + 5min

How do you have this squad and have us playing this pathetically. I'm so sick of watching us under this bloke.
Problem is also overrating this squad and players. Some players don't belong in the team. Some players don't belong in starting eleven. To make average players big players is not solution.

Brightonian

I’d move Foden to the 10. Push Jude to MF with Rice, bring in Eze, Gordon or Palmer for TAA and have them play on the left.
Yeah agreed. Foden's had some shocking shots, missed passes etc, but he looks like the only one out there who's eaten his weetabix. Everyone else is half asleep.

Hammondo

Italy won the last Euros with Emerson Palmieri at left back. At these tournaments having a balanced side is better than trying to shove the 11 best available players onto the pitch.
What the feck is balance?

El Jefe

Arnold is a horrendous CM and I’ve been saying for a long time Kane is pointless coming deep. Trent, Foden and Kane should be out of the team but we know it will never happen.

This team with any of the actual CMs on the bench with Gordon/Eze and Watkins would be far far better.

Natener

I can see why Southgate was rumoured to be Ineos pick for the United job. Start ok, score, sit back, begin looking nervous, concede, and then hang on for a result. Very United-esque.

PoTMS

What are the odds the horse faced rat will not change anything for the second half?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Lineker and Rio critical of Kane... right to an extent but this reeks of Southgate just trying not to lose. Get Palmer on for Arnold, brings extra energy and enthusiasm. Performance reminds me of United: get goal, sit back... and concede