Day 12 | England v Slovenia + Denmark v Serbia | France v Poland + Netherlands v Austria

I mean it kind of is - overall the Dutch still have a far stronger squad player for player.
Sure, but everything about the previous games told us that Austria are far better tactically. Even if you had the Dutch as favourites, this isn’t a normal Austria side and I feel like the commentators are just going off reputation.

Mbappé has to do it all: creating and scoring. The rest create next to nothing.
Shouldn't really be that way though. Griezmann has always been an excellent source of creativity for the national team. He's been really poor in the tournament so far. Thuram and Dembele have also had relatively strong seasons for their club, so it's not accurate to suggest they have no great players outside Mbappe. Not at all.

On the train home from work, how have the games been? Which one should I tune into?

Probably worst NL generation ever. And i follow them since 1992.
This one is surely better than the one that failed to qualify to Euros in 2016 (finished 4th in the qualifying group behind Turkey, 4W-1D-5L) and then again failed to qualify for the World Cup in 2018. That was a really bad one, with bang average guys like Clasie, Narsingh, Promes and a few other I must have forgotten regularly in the starting XI.

This one is surely better than the one that failed to qualify to Euros in 2016 (finished 4th in the qualifying group behind Turkey, 4W-1D-5L) and then again failed to qualify for the World Cup in 2018. That was a really bad one, with bang average guys like Clasie, Narsingh, Promes and a few other I must have forgotten regularly in the starting XI.
Janmaat at RB.

Shouldn't really be that way though. Griezmann has always been an excellent source of creativity for the national team. He's been really poor in the tournament so far. Thuram and Dembele have also had relatively strong seasons for their club, so it's not accurate to suggest they have no great players outside Mbappe. Not at all.
Yes, Griezmann should be the one creating for Mbappé. But as you say, he hasn’t played well, just like in the WC Final.

Dembele and Thurman can create, and should create, but they don’t, leaving the whole burden on Mbappé.

Koeman said the exact opposite. He said it is impossible to get far without a good Memphis Depay

That's almost as bad as Southgate saying we've got no natural Kalvin Phillips replacement :lol:

Memphis hasnt been a LW since he failed as a LW at Manchester United. Atleast Gakpo plays at LW sometimes when he played for PSV.
This argument is odd. He was LW at PSV. Just because he wasn't good enough for Man Utd doesn't necessarily mean he's incapable of the LW position, surely?

Well PSV was battered by Arsenal in the CL and lost to Dortmund in the knockout stages, and those were really the only good teams they played. I can't really remember how Veerman played in those games. But still shows that being dominant in the Eredivisie doesn't mean that much at higher level.

Doubt he's played many games against teams that press as well and aggressively as Austria do.

Same with Geertruida, looks out of his depth here.

You arent wrong. I had just hoped that Veerman was able to step up after the season he had.

He should leave PSV. Learned everything he can in the Eredivisie and should play in a better league. He wont be attracting any new clubs with his Euros performances though...

You mean your neef?

It isnt our best generation but still we have a better player than Austria at every position on the pitch. It is Rangnick who is making the difference and winning against Koeman. Well not just winning, leaving him in the dust actually.

I wish Peter Bosz was the manager of our national team. :(
Yeah you are right. Neef is speled, nief in my country. I am from one of those write like you speak countries.

And you will be good, its just some dry spell. I already wrote how much I am impressed with your young fotball infrastructure. Its not just football, It is amazing how you treat kids and sports. With healthy basis like that you will be always around the best.

Yeah, I agree with you about Komean. Great player, bad coach.

well taht was a quick response from the Dutch right after HT....not sure why you let him cut inside onto his right but quality finish

Terrible defending there from Austria, everyone saw that Gakpo cut in coming from miles away.

This argument is odd. He was LW at PSV. Just because he wasn't good enough for Man Utd doesn't necessarily mean he's incapable of the LW position, surely?

Well it makes sense to play a player at a position he is used to? Gakpo is more of a LW than Memphis.

Besides that, i dont think Memphis will or is able to follow a right back all game long and do the defensive duties of the left winger. Memphis also isnt very agile or fast anymore. His game is more suited to the striker position at this point in his career.

Janmaat at RB.
Patrick van Aanholt has 19 caps for them during that time. Jetro Willems has 22.

Last edited: