Day 12 | England v Slovenia + Denmark v Serbia | France v Poland + Netherlands v Austria

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Depends how the final two groups play out. Either it will be the Netherlands or which ever team finishes third in Group E, which can be any of Romania, Belgium, Slovakia or Ukraine.
England should have a reasonable chance against any of those sides, I know they havent sparkled so far but they should improve

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
England should have a reasonable chance against any of those sides, I know they havent sparkled so far but they should improve
It wouldn't have been unreasonable for England to have drawn against Serbia and lost against Denmark, given the performances. It's been the worst group showing under Southgate, and dramatic improvement is going to be needed to beat whoever it is we face in the next round.

Without improvement, I'd expect both Netherlands and Belgium to beat us in normal time, and extra-time and/or penalties against either Romania or Ukraine, which could go either way, given how leggy we've looked.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rather than England Southgate is pathetic. :lol:
Southgate is shite, and the system doesn't help, but the players aren't doing themselves justice either. Declan Rice looks like a nervous wreck in his own half. Harry Kane is getting so few touches of the ball when he does get onto it, he's making the wrong choice by blasting a pointless shot. Foden and Bellingham are running into each others spaces making it so easy to nullify either.

Southgate being atrocious doesn't justify the players suddenly losing all basic instincts of football.

croadyman

Per the beeb

GROUP C FINAL STANDINGSpublished at 21:56
21:56

FT: England 0-0 Slovenia

England go through as group winners.

Denmark finish second with Slovenia third - both sides go through.

They finished level on points, goal difference, goals scored and disciplinary record (6-6 on yellow cards).

The next tie breaker was who had the best qualifying record - and Denmark finished above Slovenia - coincidentally in the same qualifying group - on head-to-head record, after both sides finished qualifying on the same amount of points too.
Did you see how Denmark finished second?

LA BOMBA

Supports
Atletico
East European teams by group:
A: Hungary 3rd
B: Croatia 3rd
C: Slovania 3rd, Serbia 4th
D: Poland 4th

Group E has three East European teams, and so at least one will make it to the next round. Group F has two East European teams and maybe one will make it. However, this has been a bad tournament for teams from Eastern Europe. I didn’t see anything inspiring coming from that part of the continent.
East Euro countries have little in common in terms of football heritage. They have their ups and downs independent from each other.

Slovakia, Ukraine and Romania are solid sides that could give problems to anyone on their day. Slovenia is having its best team ever. Hungary is still FAR better than it used to be in the 1990s and the 2000s. Albania is also better than ever.

It's only Croatia, Serbia and Poland that are underperforming, each for their own very specific reasons that are unrelated to each other. And of course Bulgaria which can't even qualify.

But overall I'd say most East Euro teams are better than they used to be 20 years ago.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah no. Nobody thought they would win their group.
That's more because France was shit than Austria doing anything exceptional. Beating Poland 3-1 and Netherlands 3-2 while losing a hard fought game to France was pretty par for the course.

France just was crap the whole group stages and Austria benefitted greatly!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's more because France was shit than Austria doing anything exceptional. Beating Poland 3-1 and Netherlands 3-2 while losing a hard fought game to France was pretty par for the course.

France just was crap the whole group stages and Austria benefitted greatly!
France were crap at finishing. Just that specifically, they were pretty great at everything else

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We'll scrape through to the quarters with a very dull win, I reckon. And then, it's arrivederci (or possibly, tschüss)