Day 12 | England v Slovenia + Denmark v Serbia | France v Poland + Netherlands v Austria

By winning the group, Austria will get either Turkey or Czechia - Georgia unlikely. If they had finished second, they would have played Romania/Belgium/Ukraine/Slovakia.

The funny thing is, Foden has demonstrated the ability to hug the left wing at club level when Pep needed him to. He can cross, he can dribble, he can cut it and shoot - Foden is versatile and tactically flexible.

There is width on offer should Southgate ask for it. Seems like the persistent coagulation of Bellingham/Kane/Foden in the left channel's half spaces is a feature, not a bug. Only Southgate knows why.
This is true, but the big difference to me for a player like Foden is how City try to create chances vs England. City commit so many players forward, and do so many underlapping runs when the ball arrives at their widest players.

So playing (attacking) wide left for City is: keep the width, play the underlapping runs when they're on, arrive at 2nd post when the penetrating pass/move has been made on the right side. For England they probably need their left winger to do more, including beating man 1v1/1v2 and deliver a cross, run in behind when Kane or Bellingham are on/about to receive the ball.

Likely permutations for England:

Win v Slovenia by 3 (or more): Slovakia/Romania in the Round of 16. Italy/Switzerland in QF.

Win v Slovenia by 1/2: Netherlands in the Round of 16. Italy/Switzerland in QF.

Draw v Slovenia: Germany in the Round of 16. Spain in QF.

Lose v Slovenia: Belgium/Ukraine in the Round of 16. Austria/Turkey in QF.

Oddly, with the way the draw works it is probably better to lose to Slovenia than draw.
We'd find a way to lose 1-0 to Belgium. A draw is a disaster, we'd lose out to Germany. Win by 3 or more is probably safest but I'd back Italy to beat us.

I thought Rangnick was a fraud Caf? Not bad for a "worst manager United ever had" and rest of clownish posts about him on here.

This is true, but the big difference to me for a player like Foden is how City try to create chances vs England. City commit so many players forward, and do so many underlapping runs when the ball arrives at their widest players. So playing (attacking) wide left for City is: keep the width, play the underlapping runs when they're on, arrive at 2nd post when the penetrating pass/move has been made on the right side.

That system should work well for England, too. Both Saka and Foden are capable of width, quick darting underlapping runs, and finding the right movement when the ball's on the opposing flank. Walker and Trippier can both put in a cross, Kane occupies center backs and positions himself well, and Bellingham can make the late runs into the box for cut backs or tap ins.

The point is - even with just the players in the lineup, England can play great attacking football from both flanks. It's clearly poor coaching.

He kept Sabitzer onside when the rest of the defenders moved up. Whether due to laziness or lack of focus, he is to blame for it.
His positioning is dreadful, for starters.

Yea, watching it back, that's terrible. :lol:

My attention was initially drawn to the half-assed closing down that left the gap for the pass to Sabitzer, but this is worse.

In many ways, this fixture captures the essence of the competition. A plucky little nation that has never done anything meaningful in the Euros, and they’ll be taking on Slovenia.

I thought Rangnick was a fraud Caf? Not bad for a "worst manager United ever had" and rest of clownish posts about him on here.
Yeah right, that little group was quite irritating. Remember one of them just used to call him 'wreck it ralf' repeatedly. Always felt he had a rough time here and some of our worst attitude players threw him under the bus by making no effort.

Why does Rice keep passing the ball backwards? This is exactly how he would've looked like for United.

Surely the fact that this group's winner plays us next possibly must be extra incentive to win.

Look at the midfield… all sat on top of each other with acres of space to play into behind them.

Yeah, a potential Holland-England game would be a 50/50. Probably go to penalties which we'd lose. We are appalling.

Already some slack play from England and the free header just now wasn't hugely encouraging