Day 10: Germany vs. Ghana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, Neuer is fabulous. Such a commanding presence.

He is good at that, true. Still I think that he's widely overrated considering he's almost unanimously regarded as the world's best. He has far too many errors in him and is nowhere near the likes of Buffon and VdS in their prime. Currently I'd rate De Gea and Courtois higher.

I remember hearing that after the failure of the 2002 World Cup(I wouldn't could losing the final to Brazil much of a failure)that Germany started to change their youth policy and coaching at grass roots level. So if Greg Dyke has the same plans then I reckon England could have a pretty descent team ready for the World Cup in 2026.

It was not the WC 2002, but the embarassing result in 2000, which was the root for the change. It still took around 8 years to really profit from that, though.

Henry's insight into what he would do in certain situations is so great.. Gives us an idea about how the great strikers think about each chance and the way they approach it.. Absolutely loving bbc coverage..

I remember hearing that after the failure of the 2002 World Cup(I wouldn't could losing the final to Brazil much of a failure)that Germany started to change their youth policy and coaching at grass roots level. So if Greg Dyke has the same plans then I reckon England could have a pretty descent team ready for the World Cup in 2026.
It was the desastrous Euro 2004 that changed the youth system in Germany. Took about 8 years to be effective.

Edit: It was the Euro 2000. Spaehro is right.

Ghana looking pretty good with discipline and tactical play, unlike some other African teams. Shame they got the arguably toughest group out of the africans.

It was not the WC 2002, but the embarassing result in 2000, which was the root for the change. It still took around 8 years to really profit from that, though.

Funny thing is, England also went out in that same group as Germany in 2000 and we did nothing.

Germany need a left back and a proper powerhouse striker. They haven't got a player who can bulldoze a goal when the fancy stuff isn't working. Also, what's wrong with Schweinsteiger? Surely a better option through the middle than Khedira?

Henry's insight into what he would do in certain situations is so great.. Gives us an idea about how the great strikers think about each chance and the way they approach it.. Absolutely loving bbc coverage..

I downloaded the BBC coverage of the Spain/Netherlands match for my own fun and you're right about the quality coverage. For international FIFA broadcasting, why can't they hire Martin Tyler for solo commentary?

About this game, I was hoping at least a goal to kick things up. We'll see what happens next.

He should just emulate how Germany approach football.

Increase the number of amateur players in the game by 300% ? Germany may have a system in place that is beneficial to both clubs and the national team but it should still be remembered that they have many many more players competing for spots in the pro leagues too. Dyke is still a numpty though, on that I agree.

EDIT.

Germany has 6,309,000 registered football players.
England has 1,486,000 registered football players.

Last edited:
Loving their coverage so far, would love to see Henry appear on MoTD. Seedorf's been brilliant as well. Doesn't even compare to ITV.

Khedira has to be the most overrated player at the top level, incredible that he has made it into Germany's and Madrid's team. Löw's insistence on Khedira in the first11 is going to cost this german generation, you can't have a player in your midfield whose only quality is running.

Weather will play a big part in this match, players are getting tired and its humid. Subs might make a difference else its another draw

Love how the Ghanians are adventurous in 1-on-1 even when they have the ball in the back line. Hope it doesn't backfire on them though.

Thanks I wasn't to sure.

Also Just wondering if Germany fail to reach a final in this world cup or the next one would people in Germany see this generation as a failure?

The Germans did something positive about their demise, not create even more idiocy and implement a 90 minute rule. Things will improve over time I'm convinced, but we should be much better off right now.

OK, someone please explain why we substitute a as RB acting CB with a CB, who is even worse in that role instead of bringing on a true FB with Großkreutz or Durm.

Please stop reminding us that Moyes let a german international go.

Moyes, oh Moyes. Eye for talent my arse.

I hope he finds a new job in the Prem so both Old Trafford and Goodison Park will unleash all the venom he deserves for his failures.

Increase the number of amateur players in the game by 300% ? Germany may have a system in place that is beneficial to both clubs and the national team but it should still be remembered that they have many many more players competing for spots in the pro leagues too. Dyke is still a numpty though, on that I agree.

EDIT.

Germany has 6,309,000 registered football players.
England has 1,486,000 registered football players.

Registered footballers statistics don't account for application and desire do they? The U19's seem to be making significant process and by all accounts play much better football that the full National team. We've already made fundamental changes, and I'm waiting for the coaching to catch up. Germany are a great model to replicate though, amazing setup.

Reactions: Penna
Status
Not open for further replies.