Day 10: Germany vs. Ghana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kießling's international record: 3 goals in 15 CL matches (and he did not score against big teams) and 1 in 11 Euroleague matches. None in 6 matches for the national team. A player that might be good in the league but never could cut it internationally... - and he is well in a counter attacking environment. Sorry, that is actually not the department where Germany has any problems...

Lars Bender - injured and has not really shown great form all of the season

Schmelzer - was injured so often during the season and came to the camp injured.
Nope, his international record is 0 in 6 games and most of them are substitute appearances with the last one coming in 2010 and he's easily a better player now than back then. European football and the international stage are two different animals.

Lars bender is plain simply better than any german defensive box to box. He doesn't need to be great to start for germany, just good would do and that he certainly was this past season. He wasn't injured much either.

An 80% fit schmelzer is better than the 2nd best german left back, he should be playing.

Playing 4 CBs really limited Germany's attack IMO.

They can't continue to play with four CB's, it will catch them out throughout the tournament.

Lahm should be moved back to his best position and let Schweinsteiger/Bender/Khedira play behind the front 3/4 (dependant on the formation).

It's such a shame two if their best players in (Rolls) Reus and Gundogan are unavailable.

what is this obsession with playing Lahm as a defensive midfielder?

Ozil was the best German player on the pitch. Just mind-boggling.

The Ozil bashing is truly astonishing. I agree, his touches were sublime and was the best Player for Germany.

German fans take him for granted.

:lol:

Oh wait no white text. Let me laugh even harder.

:lol: :lol:

You really hate Özil, don't you?

And to be honest i don't like him too, but he really was one of our better players yesterday. Especially in the first half.

The Ozil bashing is truly astonishing. I agree, his touches were sublime and was the best Player for Germany.

German fans take him for granted.

He looks very elegant but does little when the going gets tough. I think it's more likely that neutral fans simply care more about the aesthetics of the game while Germany fans care about the results which explains the discrepancy.

I've said it before the World Cup, I've said it after the Portugal game, I've said it after the Ghana USA game and I'll say it now. That Ghana team is absolutely amazing and is a very disciplined African team with an amazing passing game. Their loss to the USA was half fluke half great motivational skills by Klinsmann. They bossed that game and should've won it. They probably would have too had their cb Boye not been asleep at the very start and the very end of the game.

I am happy for Ghana as I really wanted them to stay in the tournament. I really hope they beat Portugal and make it to the round of 16 that way. I think Germany, despite thinking it's a disaster, can live very well with this result. A draw isn't too bad and Germany can still comfortably get 1st in a group by beating the USA in the next game. Ghana should have already made the semis in 2010 and have definitely not gotten worse since then. They've actually probably even improved their passing game a bit.
You've echoed my sentiments. People would have you believe Ghana have regressed but I doubt most have followed the team for the last 4 years. I think it is simply the misconception that our best players are old (Essien, the oldest player is just 31 years old) and Gyan plays in uae.
We all knew the defence was a bit on the weaker side but John Boye's brainfarts against USA aside, they too have been steady. Ghana is a short team so struggle in the air. With our best defender Vorsah (6' 5) injured, it's no surprise then that the 3/4 goals conceded in this WC have come from the air.

Not at all really. Mueller was playacting all way long against Portugal and also had the most punchable face in the competition.
Does it really have to come to that? :nono:

Really?

Should be ashamed of those comments, Muller is a great man and a great player.

what is this obsession with playing Lahm as a defensive midfielder?

I don't get this either. Play him at right back with Hummels and Boateng as CBs, surely?

Nope, his international record is 0 in 6 games and most of them are substitute appearances with the last one coming in 2010 and he's easily a better player now than back then. European football and the international stage are two different animals.

Lars bender is plain simply better than any german defensive box to box. He doesn't need to be great to start for germany, just good would do and that he certainly was this past season. He wasn't injured much either.

An 80% fit schmelzer is better than the 2nd best german left back, he should be playing.

Kießlings season was bad even on national level. He should never be near the NT.

Schmelzen is a big pile of overrated junk even when he is fit.

In regards to the game: The tradition of loosing or drawing the second group game continues, I hate it. Ghana is a good team and probably the best africen team, though. It was an hard and open game.

Per FIFA, the outfielders covered 4.8 percent more ground than against Portugal overall. Mario Goetze spent a whopping 15 percent of his time on the pitch in what were deemed "high-intensity" situations. Thomas Mueller ran further (12,224 meters) while also making more sprints (63) than any other player. And this came in 84-degree Fahnreheit weather at 61 percent humidity.

That would be better than using fahrenheit, considering this is a forum for a club in England and that's an English measurement.

I just copied parts of an article I just read.

28,9 Celsius

I just thought that this part shows the intensity of that match.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.