David Moyes West Ham Manager | Gone (pedantic sod Sarni)

In my view SAF thought that Moyes would listen to his advice. That is to keep the backroom staff. It had got to a stage where Mike and Rene were taking the day to day coaching job so that SAF apparently never got involved in it apart from just observing.
I do not think SAF thought Moyes would be so stupid enough to sack them.
According to all accounts the first time Moyes heard about it was when SAF told him that he is going to be The Manager of Manchester United. So there was no question of doing an interview or a discussion with any potential coaches. Yes, Ancelloti is on record for saying that United did inquire from him but he had already given his word to Real Madrid. Yes, SAF did tell Pep to give him a call when he plans to return to Management.
As far as the story goes SAF also never told anyone beforehand that he was going to retire so the Board was in the dark as much as anyone else and could not plan for the future.

I think the only manager who knew beforehand was Wenger. That RVP deal the year before seemed like a going away present for Fergie.

I think the only manager who knew beforehand was Wenger. That RVP deal the year before seemed like a going away present for Fergie.

Nah, I think he only decided in december-ish when his wifes sister passed. Then he told David Gill in March, who also told Ferguson in the same meeting he was leaving too :rolleyes: What a feck up that period was.

Nah, fluff piece (and the Metro at that!) putting 2 and 2 together and getting 13.

Click-bait and a fans poll don't equal "he was linked to the Arsenal job", though wish he had been. Everything I've read suggested Arsenal wanted to keep him.... gets Euro football, normally CL (not now) and doesn't want to spend huge money. Dream manager for Stan.
He, quite literally, was linked to the Arsenal job. Other outlets also ran the story but further inspection reveals they use The Metro as their source. Admittedly, they are a shitty source but about on par with the rest of the tabloids.

Anyway I just remembered reading about it which is why I mentioned it.

This is a wonderful article and should be made compulsory reading for everyone involved in football. Everyone involved in life, for that matter...
West Ham fans thick as mince, blocking a number that can be a difference between life and death.

He, quite literally, was linked to the Arsenal job. Other outlets also ran the story but further inspection reveals they use The Metro as their source. Admittedly, they are a shitty source but about on par with the rest of the tabloids.

Anyway I just remembered reading about it which is why I mentioned it.

No one is linked to the Arsenal job unless Wenger says so.

Moyes was definitely given paper talk taking him to Spurs/Arsenal and Newcastle I can remember. But nothing even came close to happening which tells you something - it was simply paper talk.

Do you agree with this?
What, Moyes wasn't highly thought of? 50/50... I thought he was an "ok" manager for a mid/low table club but NOWHERE NEAR a United Manager.
Moyes was definitely given paper talk taking him to Spurs/Arsenal and Newcastle I can remember. But nothing even came close to happening which tells you something - it was simply paper talk.
Exactly, quiet weekend, no stories, 2+2=5. Usual rubbish journalism to try and justify their expense bills.

Man, what a bleak couple of days that was in 2013. No real speculation about the vacant job - just "David Moyes is expected to be named the new Man Utd manager". And then it was confirmed.

For those debating SAF's influence in the decision, check out Charlie Rose's interview with him (from Sept/Oct 2013), where he confirms that he chose Moyes himself.

Yes now SAF is trying to back away from this as it gives him a bad name. And then come out and say at OT to support Moyes just as he has been supported. LOL. " The Chosen One". I wonder now who thought of that banner and what does he or she think of it now.

Clearly making a great impression...

DPGsXhxX0AkcVPT.jpg

He just exudes this slow sense of approaching doom, genuinely think WHUM have a screw lose bringing this guy in.

David 'Dementor' Moyes - sucking the joy out of life and football since '13

Yes now SAF is trying to back away from this as it gives him a bad name. And then come out and say at OT to support Moyes just as he has been supported. LOL. " The Chosen One". I wonder now who thought of that banner and what does he or she think of it now.
I have speculated about this too. That banner has got to be one of the most embarrassing moments in our history. Words still fail me. Who thought it was a good idea?

I think SAF or anyone else didnt expect Moyes to fire all the staff immediately... I am not sure why it was not discussed, but that is one of the reasons I believe Moyes went down in less than year.
Not that I think Moyes would have lasted more than 1.5 to 2 seasons, but firing all of SAF's staff and alienating players accelerated his downfall.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Moyes had promised Ferguson that he would keep the backroom staff, and Fergie was furious when they were sacked. Or maybe I just dreamed it.

I have speculated about this too. That banner has got to be one of the most embarrassing moments in our history. Words still fail me. Who thought it was a good idea?
Top reds thought it would be a good idea. They would support a lump of excrement if it had a United badge on it.

I am sure I saw Rene or Mike on TV saying that they told Moyes that United is a huge club and that he has no idea how big it is. And that managing United is like driving a Yacht and then driving a huge Cruise ship. Then instead of keeping the officers who were driving this cruise ship, he sacks them and gets a couple of guys who were sailing a row boat in the river.
He is an imbecile and nothing will make me change my mind.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Moyes had promised Ferguson that he would keep the backroom staff, and Fergie was furious when they were sacked. Or maybe I just dreamed it.

That picture of Steve Round flicking through his folder of set plays in Moyes' final game just seemed like the antithesis of everything Fergie created.

I remember having a fight with a couple of guys on the clubwebsite forum about him. There was a guy who called him/herself, Moyesforpresident.

The first time I saw the banner, I cringed. Even though I expected SAF to know who he was bringing in, I felt that the poster was ott. Few months in, seeing that poster brought more rage :D

Hats off to the guys who flew the plane. Long overdue that someone did something like that. Then more longer we go without winning the PL or the CL the more angry I get about this whole disaster. I also get very angry at the pundits including Gary Neville who kept pontificating that he should be given more time. What more time? One season was enough for him to turn us into Everton. The whole myth of United is not a sacking club. United is a winning club and if the Manager cannot deliver then he is gone. simple. United is not a club that accepts 7th or 6th place without winning any trophies, or not playing in the CL.

Yes apparently Big Sam is going to WBA. He is a canny operator. He works only 6 months and makes a couple of million and then take a holiday and spends his millions.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere though i'm not 100% sure that someone at the club and/or Ferguson approached Stretford end flags and asked them to get a banner in place to show support for Moyes.

Between that and Ferguson's ''get behind the manager'' speech i think deep down even they knew Moyes was going to struggle.

Last edited:
For those debating SAF's influence in the decision, check out Charlie Rose's interview with him (from Sept/Oct 2013), where he confirms that he chose Moyes himself.

I have often wondered if SAF's ego took control of his senses when he chose Moyes, and I am in absolutely no doubt that Moyes was 100% SAF's choice.
Did SAF think to himself "I've been here 25 years, won 2 European Cups, if Mourinho takes over he could win 2 European Cups in 5 years" (at the time, you'd have been brave to bet against Mourinho achieving that) and SAF has said to himself "Bugger that, I'm not having my legend usurped, I'll choose David Moyes"..

I have often wondered if SAF's ego took control of his senses when he chose Moyes, and I am in absolutely no doubt that Moyes was 100% SAF's choice.
Did SAF think to himself "I've been here 25 years, won 2 European Cups, if Mourinho takes over he could win 2 European Cups in 5 years" (at the time, you'd have been brave to bet against Mourinho achieving that) and SAF has said to himself "Bugger that, I'm not having my legend usurped, I'll choose David Moyes"..

I don't think so. I really think SAF thought as per his advice Moyes would come in and sit in his chair and give press conferences etc and let the team do as it was doing for all this time. SAF told him to keep the back room staff and not to change anything.
Even if Moyes did virtually nothing that team would have qualified for Europe easily. We may not have won anything but surely would have qualified for CL.
I just now saw how bad we were losing at home to Sunderland, WBA, Stoke, Everton etc. Getting stuffed at OT by Liverpool, City etc. How pathetic is had become.
I honestly think SAF thought he would do as he advised to do but to his utter horror Moyes dismantled the whole thing. SAF had said that Moyes slowed down the play at United and United is not used to playing so slowly. He turned United to Everton.

Sort of like Qui Gon Jinn bringing in a young successor who ends up destroying the very order he was brought in to save, huh? Darth Moyes, the Chosen One.

Was certainly cringeworthy.

Yup, quite sweet of him really.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/13/alex-ferguson-arsene-wenger-van-persie

Wenger said: "I was not surprised and I told my staff a long time ago that I think it will be Alex Ferguson's last year. I detected a few signs through the season – there was already one of them before the season started, that it could be his final year."

The Frenchman was then asked if Ferguson's retirement was discussed during the negotiations that led to Van Persie's £24m transfer last August and, after smiling coyly, he replied: "I wouldn't like to come back on that. I will let you know one day."

I've got an utterly irrational feeling that he'll get a good result against City in a few weeks time, before swiftly reverting to type and anchoring West Ham in the relegation zone. Hope I'm right on both counts, although I'll almost certainly be wondering what the feck I was thinking post-City match.

I've got an utterly irrational feeling that he'll get a good result against City in a few weeks time, before swiftly reverting to type and anchoring West Ham in the relegation zone. Hope I'm right on both counts, although I'll almost certainly be wondering what the feck I was thinking post-City match.

What do you mean, he'll make it difficult for them and only lose 3-0?