David Moyes West Ham Manager | Gone (pedantic sod Sarni)

That squad is a decent squad. All they need is a creative player and a solid CB. That and good tactics will get them into mid table.

Sir Alex is still out of his mind even to recommend him then. It was obvious that the Board at that time would accept his recommendation anyway.

“Every manager in the world looks at Man United as a huge club but I wanted to come to Chelsea and we didn’t bring that to the table because we were so open and he knows so much about myself,” Mourinho said during an interview for a new BBC documentary, Sir Alex Ferguson: Secrets of Success. “He knew that for almost a season I want to leave Real Madrid and I want to come to Chelsea.”

United chose David Moyes instead and, although he was sacked before the end of his first season, Ferguson used the documentary to deny suggestions that he forced through the ill-fated appointment of the former Everton manager. Ferguson, who revealed that he would have made Ryan Giggs his assistant if he had retired six or seven years ago, added that choosing Moyes was not a mistake.

“When I announced my retirement, do you honestly believe that one man could decide the future of Manchester United?” Ferguson said. “That’s absolute nonsense. There was a good process. They’re a professional football club. They know what they’re doing, the Glazers, David Gill. José was going back to Chelsea, Carlo Ancelotti was going to Real Madrid, Jürgen Klopp had signed a contract with Dortmund, Louis van Gaal was staying with Holland for the World Cup.

“The other thing was I took Pep Guardiola for dinner in New York in the September and I had no idea I was ever going to retire and I said to him give me a call and tell what you’re going to do. No answer. I don’t think we made a mistake at all. I think we chose a good football man. He did a great job at Everton, 11 years there. We picked the right man. Unfortunately it didn’t work for David.

“We’d like to have spoken to many managers, believe me, because that’s the process. We’d like to have asked them what they felt about leaving a big club to go to a bigger club. To come to Manchester United. But it wasn’t there for us. I think we did the best under the circumstances we were in.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...erguson-chelsea-manchester-united-david-moyes

Carlo Ancelotti has spoken about being offered the chance to replace Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United boss in 2013.

As the Reds great was coming to the end of his lengthy time in charge at Old Trafford, he set about securing his successor.

That included a Paris meal with the next Bayern Munich manager in the spring of that year with "really expensive" wine that Ancelotti very much appreciated.

It was not enough though for him to consider replacing Fergie.

“I had already spoken to Real Madrid,” he told the Times.

“For the experience, a manager has to go to Madrid. If it hadn’t been for that, I would have come, 100 per cent.”

The job eventually fell to Everton manager David Moyes, who lasted just ten months before being sacked and replaced by Louis van Gaal.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...chester-united-offer-carlo-ancelotti-11332239

Look anyone decent would have been better than Moyes. Even Big Sam. There were so many young managers around who would have done a better job than Moyes. SAF is trying to cover up his role in this. As for Jose, he is now trying to cover up too that he wanted this job but United did not chose him as the first choice so now he is too embarrassed to say that.
When he was at Inter he is on record to say that no one can say No to Manchester United. Apparently Bobby Charlton did not want Jose at United then.

“Every manager in the world looks at Man United as a huge club but I wanted to come to Chelsea and we didn’t bring that to the table because we were so open and he knows so much about myself,” Mourinho said during an interview for a new BBC documentary, Sir Alex Ferguson: Secrets of Success. “He knew that for almost a season I want to leave Real Madrid and I want to come to Chelsea.”

Do you really imagine Jose would have returned to Chelsea and announced at his first presser, "I'm back here at Chelsea, but really I desperately wanted the United job, sadly they didn't offer it to me, but I live in hope"..

I think SAF is talking absolute codswallop when he tries to distance himself from the Moyes appointment.

I don't see any way in the World that Moyes would have been appointed if he was genuinely 6th or 7th choice, absolutely no chance that the United board would have accepted that, and I doubt that SAF would have retired until a suitable replacement was inplace.

The whole explanation makes no sense at all, and has more holes than a slice of Swiss cheese.

Fergie likes to distance himself from the appointment, but he was happy enough to drive over to Moyes and hand him the job...

The entire thing was a fecking disaster from day one, it's difficult to believe that Manchester United landed itself in a situation where all the top managers are going to other clubs the instant Fergie decides to call it a day.

I thought the entire point was to give the club a decent heads up so that the process of securing the right manager could be carried out, instead of ending up with what is now claimed to be our 7-8th choice...

Shambles

Fergie likes to distance himself from the appointment, but he was happy enough to drive over to Moyes and hand him the job...

The entire thing was a fecking disaster from day one, it's difficult to believe that Manchester United landed itself in a situation where all the top managers are going to other clubs the instant Fergie decides to call it a day.

I thought the entire point was to give the club a decent heads up so that the process of securing the right manager could be carried out, instead of ending up with what is now claimed to be our 7-8th choice...

Shambles
I think SAF or anyone else didnt expect Moyes to fire all the staff immediately... I am not sure why it was not discussed, but that is one of the reasons I believe Moyes went down in less than year.
Not that I think Moyes would have lasted more than 1.5 to 2 seasons, but firing all of SAF's staff and alienating players accelerated his downfall.

In my view SAF thought that Moyes would listen to his advice. That is to keep the backroom staff. It had got to a stage where Mike and Rene were taking the day to day coaching job so that SAF apparently never got involved in it apart from just observing.
I do not think SAF thought Moyes would be so stupid enough to sack them.
According to all accounts the first time Moyes heard about it was when SAF told him that he is going to be The Manager of Manchester United. So there was no question of doing an interview or a discussion with any potential coaches. Yes, Ancelloti is on record for saying that United did inquire from him but he had already given his word to Real Madrid. Yes, SAF did tell Pep to give him a call when he plans to return to Management.
As far as the story goes SAF also never told anyone beforehand that he was going to retire so the Board was in the dark as much as anyone else and could not plan for the future.

But Moyes does not believe he failed at Utd. He thinks that Utd failed him, by not honouring the 6 year contract and that 6 years he needed to make Utd great again.

Since he left we have won 3 trophies, one of them a European trophy.
I wonder how long it would've taken Moyes to win a trophy had he remained at OT.
No doubt, we'd be a team consistently competing for top 6, but would we have won any Cup competitions.

A major feck up by the Club and SAF to appoint Moyes. I was not that much against it in the early days, but in two months time I thought it was a mare and could not wait to wake up and forget that horrible dream. SAF definetely is at least partially responsible for this feck up, probably the biggest culprit.

He was highly thought of at the time and linked with replacing Wenger, too.

Sorry bud, but Moyes was never highly thought of.
I remember at the time that I could not believe that of all the top managers, we got stuck with an average manager who has never won a trophy.

Where most managers move onto bigger and better things fairly quickly, he was stuck at Everton for several years having won nothing.
In all the years he was at Everton, he was never once offered the job to manage CFC, MCFC, AFC, LFC.

Moyes was NOT highly thought of (outside of SAF's head).

Do you really imagine Jose would have returned to Chelsea and announced at his first presser, "I'm back here at Chelsea, but really I desperately wanted the United job, sadly they didn't offer it to me, but I live in hope"..

I think SAF is talking absolute codswallop when he tries to distance himself from the Moyes appointment.

I don't see any way in the World that Moyes would have been appointed if he was genuinely 6th or 7th choice, absolutely no chance that the United board would have accepted that, and I doubt that SAF would have retired until a suitable replacement was inplace.

The whole explanation makes no sense at all, and has more holes than a slice of Swiss cheese.

Anybody can see that the only reason Moyes was appointed was because he was Scottish and a favored mate of Fergie. Let's not deny it just for the sake of the fact that he was a great manager.

All people in positions of power have some sort of favoritism or bias. It is nothing out of the norm, and forgivable considering what Fergie has achieved.

I thought Mourinho was gagging for the job at the time. Anything said since is just face-saving.

Perhaps he meant on the golf course.

Maybe Fergie thought that Moyes was a bit like him. Did not make it as a top class football player but then played and managed a small club like Preston. And many United youth players went to play for Preston. He got a big club then. Everton and did a decent job there. He was British and Scottish. Everton is not a small club. They should have been the Spurs of the North. Apart from United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and later City, they are as big or was as big as Spurs and Newcastle. So they should have been challenging for the 3rd or 4th spot always. Spurs were but Moyes lowered the expectations so much a Europa league place was seen as a great success. A good Cup run was a success.

That's some achievement.
He is absolutely intent on breaking every negative record available.

What on Earth was SAF thinking when he hired this guy. He shouldn't have even made the shortlist, let along been hired.
Dreadful manager. Consistently bad. Unable to last more than a season at any club he joins.
I can't see him saving West Ham. He just seems surrounded by a negative aura after his time at Sunderland.

Jose's return to Chelsea was finalised in January.

Maybe Fergie thought that Moyes was a bit like him. Did not make it as a top class football player but then played and managed a small club like Preston. And many United youth players went to play for Preston. He got a big club then. Everton and did a decent job there. He was British and Scottish. Everton is not a small club. They should have been the Spurs of the North. Apart from United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and later City, they are as big or was as big as Spurs and Newcastle. So they should have been challenging for the 3rd or 4th spot always. Spurs were but Moyes lowered the expectations so much a Europa league place was seen as a great success. A good Cup run was a success.
SAF probably assumed Moyes would rise to the challenge, and also copy Sir Alex's successful blueprint; unfortunately for all concerned, David did neither.

"Let's face it, that house was a deathtrap...which is why I moved in. Um...*whistles*"

Today the odds of him being sacked has fallen down from 4/1 to 25/1 just after one game. Also its in the newspapers that United fans are having a field day in that they simply could not believe that WestHam would be so stupid to appoint him. It was like We told you so.

His reference to Heynckes in the full quote makes it more hilarious

“I don’t think it’s my last chance,” Moyes said. “If you look at managers in the Premier League, most have managed 10-12 clubs. Look at Jupp Heynckes, he’s had about 14 clubs and has just gone back to Bayern at 70. It’s possible to manage lots of clubs. Is this my last chance? No.”

I think we could've got Jose to take over, when SAF left.
SAF could've put pressure on Jose, informing him that his long term services were required at MUFC. He could go to CFC, which he has managed before and been fired or he could take over the biggest job in English football.
There is absolutely no way Jose would say no.

In any case, it's all in the past now.

Im still stunned, and it gets worse the more i think about it, at how we managed to mess up SAFs replacement on such a monumental scale, when it was one of the most importants jobs the board had for years and years. Appointing David Moyes...it beggars belief. The equivilant now would be hiring someone like Mark Hughes...

I think a lot had to do with the fact that Moyes thinks he is better than most managers or coaches. It was interesting that in a show Henry told that SAF brought in people who he felt would be better than him in coaching. At once Dalglish interrupted and said that Fergie was a very good coach and he actually joined Scotland under Jock Stein as The coach. But SAF brought in people who would give another dimension to the whole thing. That was why he kept changing them from Archie Knox to Mike Phelan with many top coaches in-between. Moyes should have done the same. He should have listened to Mike Phelan and Rene and also but he is too strong headed to listen to anyone.
I am amazed that he would publicly criticize his players after the first match. Yes, after a few and if they do not respond then he can but not after the first match?

Sorry bud, but Moyes was never highly thought of.
I remember at the time that I could not believe that of all the top managers, we got stuck with an average manager who has never won a trophy.

Where most managers move onto bigger and better things fairly quickly, he was stuck at Everton for several years having won nothing.
In all the years he was at Everton, he was never once offered the job to manage CFC, MCFC, AFC, LFC.

Moyes was NOT highly thought of (outside of SAF's head).
Sure he was, as I said he was linked with the Arsenal job as well as actually getting ours. I know he has proven to be a total disaster since we appointed him but let's not pretend he was always seen as such.

Arsenal fans have backed David Moyes to take over from Arsene Wenger should the Frenchman decide to leave the Gunners at the end of the season. Supporters voted in their droves for who they would like to replace Wenger on Metro’s online poll, and the Everton boss came up trumps (22%) ahead of Swansea’s Michael Laudrup (17%), Jose Mourinho (15%) and Arsenal legend Dennis Bergkamp (8%). Interestingly, 19% of fans wanted Wenger to remain at the helm, despite the club facing up to their eight consecutive season without a trophy.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/19/arsen...-over-from-arsene-wenger-3504009/?ito=cbshare