Music David Bowie has died

Listened to Blackstar a lot this evening, Lazarus is so eerie. Beautiful.

Yep, it's really an incredible song. Brilliant how he's genuinely given us a top class album in his last days.

Such a weird thing this, like a huge part of the 'permanent' landscape of music has just gone. I was ok this morn but as the day went on I realised I'd spent all day, a busy day in work, with David on my mind. Sat into the car and stuck 'Heroes' on, had the cd in there anyway, I'm a fan. Was grand until three songs in, the title track. That got me going. Funny isn't it how big a figure Bowie was in my life growing up. Just this ever present. And I guess an ever present that lives on in the music. I bought Blackstar on Saturday, I know I still buy actual records, how quaint. Only got to listen to three tracks until tonight. Mother of God. What a way to sign off. What an artist. Strange day. Don't think I'll ever forget the feeling of waking up to that news this morning. Strange. For someone you never knew to get into your head like that.

Last edited:
Width of a Circle is one of my top 10 yes.

I absolutely belted it out!

I was just reading the comments in the Guardian and added my own.

I remember that Hardrock concert like it was yesterday. My mate from school went with me. He had a Bowie cut dyed pillar box red. Tickets cost £1.25 - I know because I've still got the stub somewhere. Towards the end of his set, he announced his new single 'Jean Jeanie'. It was pretty amazing to be there. I don't know if you ever went to the Hardrock but it was pretty small with a low ceiling. Not the sort of place you'd think a star like Bowie would play but he did four concerts there in 1972. We did bail out before the after-concert disco though as it could get a bit rough in there.

Amazing way to go really.

Get your diagnosis. Keep it secret for 18 months. Write your own requiem without any of the musicians involved knowing what was happening. Release said requiem to a unsuspecting public who proceed to give it rave reviews. On your birthday no less. Then die three days later, revealing the actual meaning behind the album.

All the while co-writing a musical on the side, just to keep from getting bored.

What a pro.

I remember that Hardrock concert like it was yesterday. My mate from school went with me. He had a Bowie cut dyed pillar box red. Tickets cost £1.25 - I know because I've still got the stub somewhere. Towards the end of his set, he announced his new single 'Jean Jeanie'. It was pretty amazing to be there. I don't know if you ever went to the Hardrock but it was pretty small with a low ceiling. Not the sort of place you'd think a star like Bowie would play but he did four concerts there in 1972. We did bail out before the after-concert disco though as it could get a bit rough in there.

I'm afraid I'm far too young to be going to gigs in 72!

My Dad will be a similar age to yourself as he went to a lot of Bowie gigs round that time. He's pretty despondent today.

I went for a walk on my lunch today and played all my favourite tunes. I was struggling to hold myself together and I don't have the long history that many older fans will have.

I've never felt this way about any celebrity death before. He was a huge part of my musical upbringing.

Such a weird thing this, like a huge part of the 'permanent' landscape of music has just gone. I was ok this morn but as the day went on I realised I'd spent all day, a busy day in work, with David on my mind. Sat into the car and stuck 'Heroes' on, had the cd in there anyway, I'm a fan. Was grand until three songs in, the title track. That got me going. Funny isn't it how big a figure Bowie was in my life growing up. Just this ever present. And I guess an ever present that lives on in the music. I bought Blackstar on Saturday, I know I still buy actual records, how quaint. Only got to listen to three tracks until tonight. Mother of God. What a way to sign off. What an artist. Strange day. Don't think I'll ever forget the feeling of waking up to that news this morning. Strange. For someone you never knew to get into your head like that.
Thanks @Rory 7 ... lovely post. I had been on the trail of the interpretation for a few days since tracks were leaked to Youtube. It was all Nasdat and Malchicks, Clockwork Orange style. I was wondering who was executed in Blackstar? Was Bowie impersonating death? Then my good lady woke me with this news this morning. Listened to BBC 6 all day. He brought me / and so many others to different cultural places, musically, visually, culturally, identity wise. I cannot believe he is gone.

Did you go to the sept or december gigs ?
My Bro went to the dec ones.

Did you go to the sept or december gigs ?
My Bro went to the dec ones.

December 28th. My mate Graham (the lad with the hair) went to all four gigs that year. He was (probably still is) a true Bowie fanatic. We went to a Roxy gig a few months later and he spent the entire concert moaning that it was nowhere near as good as a Bowie gig.

I was upset when Sid Vicious died but that was for other reasons. I never dreamed that Bowie would ever die. It's seriously depressing.

I feel your pain.

I'm getting together with some like minded mates this weekend, getting drunk and celebrating his life and music.

I suggest everyone do the same.

Shame that I prefer the Velvet Underground to anything that Bowie's done, the more I read about him the more he seems like a brilliant, interesting and inspiring human being... almost the exact opposite of what I went through when Lou Reed passed.

I don't have a TV, were there any particularly recommended pieces/ documentaries on him tonight?

Ashes to Ashes, After All and the rest of MWSTW - too good.

Heathen was the last album I was big into, and I do remember thinking at the time that whilst the rest of 'em seemed creatively spent, Jareth was still doing something of worth. I guess it's time to catch up.
Cool choices @dumbo ... After all! Great song. You will love the last three albums. Loads to catch up on, even if in this unbelieveably sad setting.

Shame that I prefer the Velvet Underground to anything that Bowie's done, the more I read about him the more he seems like a brilliant, interesting and inspiring human being... almost the exact opposite of what I went through when Lou Reed passed.

I don't have a TV, were there any particularly recommended pieces/ documentaries on him tonight?
Channel 4 did a decent programme, hastily assembled but good. The news did well with the exception of having Nick Mason (Pink Floyd) on, who didn't even talk about See Emily Play or the work Bowie did later with Gilmour. In fairness a difficult gig to go on national TV for, but the poor fellow seemed at a loss for words.
EDIT: And of course the Velvets are also brilliant. Uncle Lou and DB gone now, what will we do?

You've never listened to any of his albums? You need to correct that now. Arguably the most impressive discography ever. So many great albums that span so many genres. He's one of the most versatile, creative, visionary, proficient musicians ever. He was genuinely master of his art.
The greatest ever as far as I'm concerned. I've always been a Beatles and Stones guy, but Bowie's consistent genius is unmatched. I'm currently embarking on a vinyl marathon. Finished Space Oddity, now halfway through the masterpiece that is Hunky Dory. Anyone who's never heard him should get their down to the local record store and pick up his collection (it's worth actually buying the vinyl/Cds, as you get to enjoy the fantastic cover art as well.)

Here's my favourite David Bowie song:

Other favourites include Moonage Daydream, Memory of a Free Festival, All The Madmen, Station to Station, We are The Dead, and Time. His cover of See Emily Play is also genius.

Channel 4 did a decent programme, hastily assembled but good. The news did well with the exception of having Nick Mason (Pink Floyd) on, who didn't even talk about See Emily Play or the work Bowie did later with Gilmour. In fairness a difficult gig to go on national TV for, but the poor fellow seemed at a loss for words.
EDIT: And of course the Velvets are also brilliant. Uncle Lou and DB gone now, what will we do?
If you believe in the afterlife, then perhaps those two and Mick Ronson are currently working on a remaster of Transformer. Three geniuses.

Not too surprising, they're coming back into fashion! And if you're going to buy a record for any new album, then I'd say this one is probably worth it. Still feels strange though. Remember kind of being excited when I listened to Blackstar for the first time because he was doing new stuff, and I thought he must tour or something, which would give a chance to see him live potentially. Sadly that won't be the case.

This feels so wrong. Celebrities deaths hardly ever resonate with me, but this has hit hard. I've been binge listening his latest album over the weekend and then you wake up to this on a Monday morning. Awful. A true legend and genius, RIP.
Same here. This feels different for some reason. It truly seems too early. :(

Brixton smashed it tonight. Great fun. Sing alongs by Morley's mural, guitars, soundsystems, projectors and fireworks outside Ritzy, and easy over a thousand out. Left a couple of hours ago, but it's probably still going in dregs.

If you believe in the afterlife, then perhaps those two and Mick Ronson are currently working on a remaster of Transformer. Three geniuses.

And Bowie's currently singing Under Pressure alongside Freddie. What a concert that would be!

Brixton smashed it tonight. Great fun. Sing alongs by Morley's mural, guitars, soundsystems, projectors and fireworks outside Ritzy, and easy over a thousand out. Left a couple of hours ago, but it's probably still going in dregs.

Class.

December 28th. My mate Graham (the lad with the hair) went to all four gigs that year. He was (probably still is) a true Bowie fanatic. We went to a Roxy gig a few months later and he spent the entire concert moaning that it was nowhere near as good as a Bowie gig.
My Brother is called Graeme :lol:

Aah that's great.

BBC had a decent one about his prolific 70s period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0214tj1

My Brother is called Graeme :lol:

Did he go to a lot of concerts at the Hardrock? It wasn't a very big venue and I saw the same faces there for different gigs. There was a guy who lived down the street from us who played with a band called The Vincents back in the early 60s. He played on the same bill as the Beatles at the Urmston Show in 1963.

BBC had a decent one about his prolific 70s period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0214tj1
I honestly don't think he released a bad album in the 70's. I'm not crazy about Young Americans, but even that is pretty damn good. Can any other artists claim such consistent quality? Neil Young is the only other that springs to mind (his 70's run was pretty incredible as well.)

Dollar Days and I Can't Give Everything Away are wonderful, and flow into each other beautifully, but Lazarus really is hauntingly beautiful. The vulnerability in his voice sent against the lingering saxophone and booming drums...so, so good. Just an incredible artist in every sense.

Dollar Days and I Can't Give Everything Away are wonderful, and flow into each other beautifully, but Lazarus really is hauntingly beautiful. The vulnerability in his voice sent against the lingering saxophone and booming drums...so, so good.

The guitar distortion in it is brilliant as well. Really creates that sort of lingering effect.

A great tribute from Nile Rodgers:

One day David said: “Nile, this is what I want my album to sound like,” and he showed me a picture of Little Richard in a red suit getting into a red Cadillac convertible. How do you translate that?! But in actual fact I knew exactly what he meant, and that was the point I realised that David Bowie was the Picasso of rock’n’roll. He got uncomfortable with me calling him that but I did it anyway. Because I realised he saw the world in an abstract way, as well as in the way we all see it. And what that picture meant was not that he wanted a retro record, or something based on Little Richard’s music, but that he wanted something that would always look modern. He showed me the future and the past and it was evergreen.

More:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/11/nile-rodgers-david-bowie-was-the-picasso-of-rock-n-roll