Music David Bowie has died

Feel really weird. On the one hand you don't want to overdue the ostentatious grief for someone you didn't know. On the other, music is a very personal thing and Bowie released a lot of stuff that was important to me. Might actually cry if I heard the right song now, which in one way is fairly ridiculous for a full grown man. No more David Bowie.... :(

Probably the hardest a celeb death has hit me yet. :(

Feck, it must be miserable growing old and seeing all your creative heroes die one by one.

Probably the hardest a celeb death has hit me yet. :(

Feck, it must be miserable growing old and seeing all your creative heroes die one by one.

Aye same here.

I think he's unique in that he's never allowed himself to get stale and overstay his welcome. I'm a firm believer that, artistically speaking, a lot of musicians that died young had the advantage of locking their icon in a time capsule and avoided spoiling it with typical mortal behaviour such as growing old and out of fashion. It's the advantage Lennon has over McCartney.

Not Bowie though, cutting edge of cool from birth to the grave.

Feel really weird. On the one hand you don't want to overdue the ostentatious grief for someone you didn't know. On the other, music is a very personal thing and Bowie released a lot of stuff that was important to me. Might actually cry if I heard the right song now, which in one way is fairly ridiculous for a full grown man. No more David Bowie.... :(
I know exactly what you mean mate. When a celebrity dies there often seems to be an unspoken contest to see who's grieving the most. Usually means I try to keep my own thoughts private.

I feel compelled to make an exception in Bowie's case, as his music has meant a lot to me for a huge amount of my life. He's been the soundtrack to so many moments - good and bad.

So yeah, there'll be tears today.

I know exactly what you mean mate. When a celebrity dies there often seems to be an unspoken contest to see who's grieving the most. Usually means I try to keep my own thoughts private.

I feel compelled to make an exception in Bowie's case, as his music has meant a lot to me for a huge amount of my life. He's been the soundtrack to so many moments - good and bad.

So yeah, there'll be tears today.

Exactly.

Something a little different...

One of my favourite songs anyway, but this performance always blows me away.

His Aladdin Sane album was one of the first LPs I ever bought. Always sad to hear of someone dying too young. RIP.

I remember thinking when Lemmy died that it wouldn't be long before that generation of rock stars, and there are a lot of them, would start to pass away one by one, they're all getting to that age now, still it's a massive shock, I had no idea he was ill.

Cancer's a dick, RIP David Bowie

Glad that the new album was released before his death and without anyone knowing he was sick. It makes the critical and commercial love it has been getting all the more genuine, bowing out on a massive high.

Wow, was talking with the family yesterday saying he looked very thin and unwell in the ad for his new album when we seen it yesterday. Didn't realise he was actually sick :(.

RIP

Aye same here.

I think he's unique in that he's never allowed himself to get stale and overstay his welcome. I'm a firm believer that, artistically speaking, a lot of musicians that died young had the advantage of locking their icon in a time capsule and avoided spoiling it with typical mortal behaviour such as growing old and out of fashion. It's the advantage Lennon has over McCartney.

Not Bowie though, cutting edge of cool from birth to the grave.
There's also that beyond his music, he was a symbol and a icon that being different wasn't only ok and acceptable but that everyone's difference should be nurtured and could be beautiful. I think his personal importance to thousands and thousands of people can't be overstated, and it'll be like losing someone very close.
Glad that the new album was released before his death and without anyone knowing he was sick. It makes the critical and commercial love it has been getting all the more genuine, bowing out on a massive high.
A beautiful way to bow out and very in line with what his life and career had been: a bit strange, edgy, pushes the limits... Perfect.

Love this performance:

One of my biggest regrets will always be that I've never seen him (and will never see him) live. :(

This feels so wrong. Celebrities deaths hardly ever resonate with me, but this has hit hard. I've been binge listening his latest album over the weekend and then you wake up to this on a Monday morning. Awful. A true legend and genius, RIP.

Same. I'd been listening to Ziggy Stardust, Let's Dance, Young Americans and Hunky Dory on rotate almost exclusively in the past week or so in the build up to his new album release. It really does feel like a different kind of loss for that reason. Never had that before.

This is sad news. Who can forget his performance in Labrynth. One of my favourite films growing up.

His music is second to none. RIP.

A big shock. Almost everyone liked him when I was a kid. It didn't matter how old you were.
Lemmy and now Bowie. Feck.

Completely shocked at this news. No matter your taste in music Bowie seemed to cut through that . Will be sorely missed .R.I.P

This Is Not America

I never gave his catalogue the attention it probably deserves, but regardless I'll claim that he is well and truly a one off in that he is absolutely ubiquitous throughout pop culture, while at the same time being a magnificent oddity that represented so many of those of us who never quite felt like we belong.

I'd wager that close to everyone in the western world, even those who don't know him, have actually heard his music at one point or another.

RIP, and may his music and influence live on for a long, long time.

Last edited:
I remember an interview with Ricky Gervais, he said he had become friendly with Bowie (after Bowie was on Extras) and on his birthday he sent an email saying "60? Isn't it time you got a real job?" "I have a real job; David Bowie, rock god" was the reply.

Really, really enjoyed The Next Day, think it's one of my favourites from the last couple of years.

He had one of the best back catalogues out there

His latest album, Blackstar, is clearly about his impending death. The video for the single Lazarus (which is on Blackstar) is also about death. Its eerie watching it. It was his final gift to us. What a great artist he was!

Sad news but love the fact that he gave the fans Blackstar to remember him by. Obviously the lyrics hold a whole new meaning and love the fact that he'd tease the conspiracy theorists with songs like Lazarus.

Got to see him back on the Reality Tour. Was a great show, 2 hours plus. Was at a similar time that I saw Roger Waters and Paul McCartney and remember thinking these guys are so rich they don't need to ever work again yet here they are busting their arses with worldwide tours. It can only be fan service.