Music David Bowie has died

Feck, Lazarus is pretty perfect for today.

Can't think of another artist that would have this kind of an effect on so many generations that's left now besides Paul McCartney. So out the blue as well. Sad, sad day.

Feck, Lazarus is pretty perfect for today.
In retrospect the new album has so many things telling you he's dying.. I am so glad I saw him many times live and he has been my MainMan for 30 years. I am absolutely gutted but so grateful that he came back for his final chapters. RIP to one of the true legends of our time and thank you...

Dollar Days is the potent one for me. "I'm dying to, push their backs against the grain and fool them all again, I'm trying to...I'm dying to"

In retrospect it's quite extraordinary. As avant guard self indulgent arty myth building goes, it'll be pretty hard to top secretly writing an album and a musical about your own death, then popping off almost as soon as they're complete. As if it's the only way they could've worked properly. The massive ponce.

Last edited:
So this story is a bit morbid but it still makes me laugh thinking about it.

My father died a few years ago and 8 months down the road his mum (my nan) also died. It was a shit year! Anyway my Dad loved Bowie and had a bit of a sick sense of humour! So me and my Mum were driving to the crematorium for my Nans funeral, we had my Dads ipod on shuffle for the entire 4 hour journey and not one Bowie song came on despite having 3/4 albums on it. That was until we drove through the gates of the crematorium and what came on? Ashes to Ashes. Thanks Dad, made us laugh so hard at that moment and oddly it now makes me remember that day with fondness because at that moment it felt like having my Dad in the car again.
nothing morbid about that story.

My father died a few years ago and 8 months down the road his mum (my nan) also died. It was a shit year! Anyway my Dad loved Bowie and had a bit of a sick sense of humour! So me and my Mum were driving to the crematorium for my Nans funeral, we had my Dads ipod on shuffle for the entire 4 hour journey and not one Bowie song came on despite having 3/4 albums on it. That was until we drove through the gates of the crematorium and what came on? Ashes to Ashes. Thanks Dad, made us laugh so hard at that moment and oddly it now makes me remember that day with fondness because at that moment it felt like having my Dad in the car again.

Thanks for sharing man, that's awesome.

What a great story, thanks for sharing, mate.

Everyone knows about Bowie's music, but I will also remember him fondly for the film Labyrinth. An amazing kids film from the 80's and David was outstanding in it. He also played Nikola Tesla is The Prestige. Also not forgetting some of his hilarious TV appearances, the best probably being him turning up in Ricky Gervais's Extras

It's funny....

The other day I was just saying that I never really "got" him. But, hearing his material on the radio today, song after song, I'm thinking "Yeah, I love that song. Can't believe I forgot about it."

I'll always have huge respect for him and what he done for the industry.

On a related note, who fecking grim is that Paul "my opinion is fact" Gambaccini? He's whores himself out anytime a celeb dies

Crap news. I saw him at the Hardrock around Christmas in 1972, right at the start of the Ziggy Stardust tour. I've got most of his albums bar the last two. Sad that another link with that age has departed. Bowie was a brilliant artist and will be much missed by his fans. RIP David.

When Lemmy died you could say that he was a true legend, with the death of Bowie we've lost a true musical icon. It was a proper 'ah FFS' moment when I saw it this morning. He really did lead the way, musically and the persona's he adopted throughout his career were fascinating. The Thin White Duke and the life Bowie was living at the time used to fascinate me as a lad. Sadly missed.

When Lemmy died you could say that he was a true legend, with the death of Bowie we've lost a true musical icon. It was a proper 'ah FFS' moment when I saw it this morning. He really did lead the way, musically and the persona's he adopted throughout his career were fascinating. The Thin White Duke and the life Bowie was living at the time used to fascinate me as a lad. Sadly missed.

I couldn't agree more. I've just been reading a few of the posts in the other David Bowie thread, I've got to listen to his new album.

Yes, this one is pretty hard to swallow.

In a school play we did when I was about 7 we sang the chorus to Starman at the end.

I always thought that with all his artistic brilliance he was still just a bit of waster. How ignorant I was.
I think out of all the tributes, Arsene's quote stands out for me. Two intelligent, articulate and erudite men. Bowie will be missed...don't make them like him anymore.

My auld lad is quite upset over this, he was his hero.

Can't claim to have listened to much David Bowie myself but I have the utmost respect for the man and feel his last album could arguably be the most iconic of all time now.

That video for Lazarus is one heck of a way to say goodbye.
Aye. This is the Bowie of Station to Station drawing the Kabbalistic tree of life.
David-Bowie-Station-to-Station.jpg

This is him retreating into the closet, after scribbling down his final message.
CYIY986WwAAD248.jpg

The timing of the single and it's meaning can't be a coincidence, this was his way of saying goodbye. How apt he leaves our world with an album and single, in a sense it's the perfect way to leave.

Thanks guys, helpful. Will listen to a few tracks.
Get Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane and The Rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars albums and play them back to back.

Just WOW !!

Totally gutted.
Feel like part of my Youth died with this news. :(

Truly a Legend in the biggest possible sense.

A Huge loss .

R.I.P. David Bowie x

Today has been very surreal. Really felt like everyone I've come across today, who I come across in my usual day to day life has been saddened by it. Suppose it's a testament to his influence and legacy.

His producer has confirmed this too. He's also wrote an off-Broadway musical about his character from The Man Who Fell To Earth growing bored here and trying to return to his home planet. He's basically turned his death into one massive last creative expression and popped off as soon as it was done. It's sort of kinda wonderful in a way.
Just what you might expect from Bowie.
Total Genius.

one of the best live shows i've ever seen , it was a million years ago but the stage show was class.