Music David Bowie has died

That video for Lazarus is one heck of a way to say goodbye.

His latest album, Blackstar, is clearly about his impending death. The video for the single Lazarus (which is on Blackstar) is also about death. Its eerie watching it. It was his final gift to us. What a great artist he was!

His producer has confirmed this too. He's also wrote an off-Broadway musical about his character from The Man Who Fell To Earth growing bored here and trying to return to his home planet. He's basically turned his death into one massive last creative expression and popped off as soon as it was done. It's sort of kinda wonderful in a way.

Last edited:
A true legend, although I wouldn't call myself a Bowie 'fan' (not really a fan of any particular artist) there is no denying he has been an icon of British pop for the last 40 odd years. This morning I can't get 'Heroes' out of my head and I suspect it will be like this for the rest of the day.

RIP.

Sad news but love the fact that he gave the fans Blackstar to remember him by. Obviously the lyrics hold a whole new meaning and love the fact that he'd tease the conspiracy theorists with songs like Lazarus.

Got to see him back on the Reality Tour. Was a great show, 2 hours plus. Was at a similar time that I saw Roger Waters and Paul McCartney and remember thinking these guys are so rich they don't need to ever work again yet here they are busting their arses with worldwide tours. It can only be fan service.

Ego maintenance.

Glad that the new album was released before his death and without anyone knowing he was sick. It makes the critical and commercial love it has been getting all the more genuine, bowing out on a massive high.
So typical of him to let his art do the talking. A lesser artist might've allowed the sentiment around their illness to guarantee an album's critical success but he did it on his own terms. He only ever did anything on his own terms.

His producer has confirmed this too. He's also wrote an off-Broadway musical about his character from The Man Who Fell To Earth growing bored here and trying to return to his home planet. He's basically turned his death into one massive last creative expression and popped off as soon as it was done. It's sort of kinda wonderful in a way.

It's a great way to go out on your own terms.

Ashes to Ashes, After All and the rest of MWSTW - too good.

Heathen was the last album I was big into, and I do remember thinking at the time that whilst the rest of 'em seemed creatively spent, Jareth was still doing something of worth. I guess it's time to catch up.

Last edited:
It seems pretty obvious actually when you know he'd been battling with cancer, and yeah lovely way to bow out.

Bit shocked, like others had no idea he was unwell, especially since he'd just released his new album. Thought the title track was interesting, so probably time for me to give the whole thing a listen in tribute. Brilliant artist though, RIP.

The video for Lazarus is fecking unbelievable given the context we now know of. Just fecking unbelievable.

A complete genius. I'm off to buy the album today

So many years ahead of his time, all the time; others had to wait for the gift of sound and vision.

A giant, and a massively important figure in our culture. RIP David. x

I won't pretend to have been a massive fan of his music (I haven't really delved into his work, to be honest) but he had an obvious talent and originality.

I did think he was very good in The Prestige though.

I won't pretend to have been a massive fan of his music (I haven't really delved into his work, to be honest) but he had an obvious talent and originality.

I did think he was very good in The Prestige though.

No time like the present.;)

He's really worth giving a listen though. I found him a little bit hard to get into at first, but once you listen to some albums and get used to his eerie, ever-changing style then there's some great stuff there. I'd recommend the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust album as a starter point since it's arguably his best and certainly my favourite, while Hunky Dory is generally seen as being right up there too. New album is really good, too.

Sheer disbelief. His unique songs are totally timeless and he was ground breaking to boot, throughout University his songs would get ample play time at house parties where we were in charge of the playlists and I can't really think of any songs that got the place as hyped or as fun as when songs like Rebel, Rebel or Let's Dance came on. They were just his 'fun' songs, Let's Dance in particular, what's more Bowie seems to be enjoyed by people who wouldn't even necessarily listen to rock, folk or pop (me, for instance) anyway, I'm gutted. So this monday can feck off.

5264.jpg

A nice tribute from Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger: "The message he gave to my generation, after the Second World War was: be strong enough to be yourself."

A nice tribute from Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger: "The message he gave to my generation, after the Second World War was: be strong enough to be yourself."
I'm sure Wenger understands Bowie particularly well, given the latter also went through a decade in total anonymity.

So this story is a bit morbid but it still makes me laugh thinking about it.

My father died a few years ago and 8 months down the road his mum (my nan) also died. It was a shit year! Anyway my Dad loved Bowie and had a bit of a sick sense of humour! So me and my Mum were driving to the crematorium for my Nans funeral, we had my Dads ipod on shuffle for the entire 4 hour journey and not one Bowie song came on despite having 3/4 albums on it. That was until we drove through the gates of the crematorium and what came on? Ashes to Ashes. Thanks Dad, made us laugh so hard at that moment and oddly it now makes me remember that day with fondness because at that moment it felt like having my Dad in the car again.

So this story is a bit morbid but it still makes me laugh thinking about it.

My father died a few years ago and 8 months down the road his mum (my nan) also died. It was a shit year! Anyway my Dad loved Bowie and had a bit of a sick sense of humour! So me and my Mum were driving to the crematorium for my Nans funeral, we had my Dads ipod on shuffle for the entire 4 hour journey and not one Bowie song came on despite having 3/4 albums on it. That was until we drove through the gates of the crematorium and what came on? Ashes to Ashes. Thanks Dad, made us laugh so hard at that moment and oddly it now makes me remember that day with fondness because at that moment it felt like having my Dad in the car again.
That's a nice story!

So sad. Spent many a childhood day singing with my brother 'Blue, blue, electric blue, that's the color of my poe'.

Not often I'll say "oh no" aloud in an empty room when I read someone famous has died.

To my shame I hadn't listened to his new album yet, though perhaps fitting that the first thing I heard of it was the video to Lazarus posted on the previous page.

Hero, legend, etc. He'll be remembered for a long, long time.

First Lemmy, now David Bowie. Both cancer. Feck.

RIP
Cancer is an arsehole and it needs to feck off as soon as possible.

Totally gutted by this news, Life on Mars has been playing on loop in my head for the past hour. He was amazing.

fecking gutted. Legend. One of the all time greats. True musical innovator, Zappa like genius.

Sad news but love the fact that he gave the fans Blackstar to remember him by. Obviously the lyrics hold a whole new meaning and love the fact that he'd tease the conspiracy theorists with songs like Lazarus.

Got to see him back on the Reality Tour. Was a great show, 2 hours plus. Was at a similar time that I saw Roger Waters and Paul McCartney and remember thinking these guys are so rich they don't need to ever work again yet here they are busting their arses with worldwide tours. It can only be fan service.

Quite coincidently, those two were the only international renowned artists I ever saw live, and both in the same year or thereabouts.

He made such a contribution to music that it'd be a crime not to put him up there with the very best. There is now most certainly a star man waiting in the sky.

RIP Bowie. :(

Whoa, no idea he was in such a bad state of health. Fella was a trend setter. Proper legend of the entertainment industry. And I wasn't even a fan! RIP