Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

we are much much weaker when gibson plays.

He put in some decent shifts for us in his most recent outings for us especially against Marseille, if we were weak that night it wasn't because of him, in one of his other Champions League outings for us this season against Rangers at OT he was arguably our best player on the pitch. When in my opinion Darron Gibson is played in his correct position he is at his best, but played out of position (out on the wing) like so many players he can look like a fish out of water, to say we are much much weaker when he plays though is very harsh.

If he didn't take up a squad space it wouldn't be so bad but at this rate we are going to re-sign the entire midfield that has struggled so often this season, and there wont be room for the quality additions needed.

It would be nice to understand why Gibson is so confident in signing in a new contract with us. He's at the far end of the pecking order of a central midfield which is clearly weak. Maybe he knows something (ie lack of investment, SAF insistence on this side) that we dont.

If he didn't take up a squad space it wouldn't be so bad but at this rate we are going to re-sign the entire midfield that has struggled so often this season, and there wont be room for the quality additions needed.

0r after months of hearing the same thing from Gill (there is money bla bla bla) we'll end up with the same midfield and SAF saying that there's no value and that he's perfectly happy with his cows.

'We will invest in signature players when the time is ready. This summer wasn’t right for me. There was no value. There was one player we identified, but he didn’t want to come to England.'

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

0r after months of hearing the same thing from Gill (there is money bla bla bla) we'll end up with the same midfield and SAF saying that there's no value and that he's perfectly happy with his cows.

If we hear this again this summer then I think even the staunchest backer of the mythical warchest will start to see that big cash reserve as for little more than show.

He must be getting good vibes off Fergie & co. on the training ground or something.

Carrick, Anderson, Giggs and Fletch has signed new contracts, Gibson is expecting a new contract and SAF wants Scholes to sign a new contract too. I wont be surprised that we'll end up with the same central midfield next year too despite it being our achilles heel for the past 2 years.

Carrick, Anderson, Giggs and Fletch has signed new contracts, Gibson is expecting a new contract and SAF wants Scholes to sign a new contract too. I wont be surprised that we'll end up with the same central midfield next year too despite it being our achilles heel for the past 2 years.

Even when SAF has clearly said otherwise?

Have you considered the possibility that we will let Hargreaves go and sign one signature midfielder or two if Scholes goes?

Theres feck all we as fans can do about it if that is the case, one thing i will say though in relation to it being an achilles heel, its not the likes of the 4th maybe 5th choice Gibson that is to blame for any feck up's to date this season, the lad when played in his correct position did well for us in my opinion.

We have quality, dept & experience in midfield at the moment its just that for one reason or another it doesn't seem to be clicking or operating as it should be, if we head into next season with the exact same crew & they do operate to the standards we know they can, then i don't know about you but i'll be a happy camper.

For him to merit taking up a space in the 25 man squad he needs to contribute a bit more than he is currently. I'd rather Cleverley took his squad place next season, or if we gave a chance to one of the number of promising young centre midfielders in our reserves.

Even when SAF has clearly said otherwise?

Have you considered the possibility that we will let Hargreaves go and sign one signature midfielder or two if Scholes goes?

We've replaced Hargreaves long ago, in fact our midfield is filled with players who are capable of winning the ball. Considering the 25 player rule, having 6 midfielders capable of playing in CM is more then enough.

Theres feck all we as fans can do about it if that is the case, one thing i will say though in relation to it being an achilles heel, its not the likes of the 4th maybe 5th choice Gibson that is to blame for any feck up's to date this season, the lad when played in his correct position did well for us in my opinion.

We have quality, dept & experience in midfield at the moment its just that for one reason or another it doesn't seem to be clicking or operating as it should be, if we head into next season with the exact same crew & they do operate to the standards we know they can, then i don't know about you but i'll be a happy camper.

We dont have the quality in CM that we need. How many poor yrs in CM do we need to understand that?

He might think he'll have no problem securing another contract, the club on the other hand might have a completely different idea

Personally I can only see 1 of 2 things happening with Gibson, either A- he'll be sold or B- he'll be given a proper run in the team because the way he's going at the moment isn't doing the club or him any favours

I'm all for giving him a chance to be honest simply because he adds a goal threat from our midfield something Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson and to a lesser extent Scholes doesn't

Gibson is either happy to simply spend his career warming the bench on a good salary, or simply deluded.

He is happy with his form, happy with how things are going.. seriously??
he barely ever plays, is lucky to get a spot on the bench and is unremarkable at best when an opportunity comes along.

Gibson is either happy to simply spend his career warming the bench on a good salary, or simply deluded.

he barely ever plays, is lucky to get a spot on the bench and is unremarkable at best when an opportunity comes along.

"My main goal is to try and get to play every week and be in there as a regular, but I think things are going well for me at the minute.

"Obviously I want to kick on and get in the team, but I am happy enough."

Doesn't sound like someone who is happy to warm the bench to me.

Doesn't sound like someone who is happy to warm the bench to me.

Nope. The quotes also make him sound like someone who thinks he has to do much more to deserve a place since he is happy with his form.

I've always maintained that the biggest flaw about him is his mentality. I don't like his mentality. His abilities are fine but his attitude doesn't seem to be good.

he should be saying that he has not played well when given a chance and is determined to improve and take the next chance that comes along. His comments to me sound very arrogant or complacent, not sure which..

he should be saying that he has not played well when given a chance and is determined to improve and take the next chance that comes along. His comments to me sound very arrogant or complacent, not sure which..

Arrogant? No, very modest boy

Complacent? possibly, he wouldn't be the only United player guilty of that this season

Did you ever think that perhaps he feels that he has been progressing? He's had more first team games the last 2 seasons than before, he's made progress at International level and he's at the club he supported as a lad. Why would he want to leave unless the manager makes it clear that there is no place for him? You cant blame the lad for wanting to stay at United if he is getting encouragement from his boss.

By all means, criticize his performances if he plays badly, but jesus give the lad a break when he hasn't even bloody played!

I don't know what one expects Gibson to say. Perhaps something like, "You know, actually I'm shite. I don't want a new contract and I have no clue why the manager would give me one." I wonder how much abuse he'd get for that.

FWIW I think he'll be off either this summer or the next.

they are not going to let a young player walk away for nothing

he'll get a new contract

We've already let his contract run down to its fruition once, so thats an odd statement to make

I think his comment about his performances is shoddy. He might be happy with them, but I aint. Maltese is right, he could have phrased it a whole lot better

Y be happy to be a squad player when you can be a star somewhere else. hes not so young anymore. hes clearly talented, y not go establish yourself somewhere else.

Hes a Man Utd Fan, but should that dictate his career.

in a way i can relate. I was young and inpatient and wanted to play for my local club. They told me to wait, told me I had potential, But I wasn't content with a few appearances here and there. So I left and I now start for a team a division above my local club.

Totally different level (worlds apart) but i think its a similar situation to gibbo.

On the other hand you are correct. if the manager thinks hes good enough and has made that clear to the player, then maybe he should persevere for another few years.

@ Brad

He was a younger then and hadn't played more than a handful of games for the first team. He has now built up some appearances for the first team, scored a few belters, made progress at International level. What im getting at is that he's now worth a few quid more than back then. They wont let him go for next to nothing or even for free. He'll resign a new contract, I have no doubt about that. Whether he stays for long after signing that contract, is another matter.

As for criticizing him for his answers in an interview, thats just silly. Thats just arguing for the sake of arguing

On the other hand you are correct. if the manager thinks hes good enough and has made that clear to the player, then maybe he should persevere for another few years.

I just don't think he would hang around if the manager made it clear he wasn't part of the plans, he's not that type of lad

I think he's been given enough encouragement to make him think that he will be given a new contract

I don't know what one expects Gibson to say. Perhaps something like, "You know, actually I'm shite. I don't want a new contract and I have no clue why the manager would give me one." I wonder how much abuse he'd get for that.

FWIW I think he'll be off either this summer or the next.

I expect him to say that he understands that hes going to have to do more than he has done so far to earn a new contract. i expect him to say that he will strive to improve and be determined to prove the doubters wrong.

That would have sounded a lot better.

@ Brad

He was a younger then and hadn't played more than a handful of games for the first team. He has now built up some appearances for the first team, scored a few belters, made progress at International level. What im getting at is that he's now worth a few quid more than back then. They wont let him go for next to nothing or even for free. He'll resign a new contract, I have no doubt about that. Whether he stays for long after signing that contract, is another matter.

As for criticizing him for his answers in an interview, thats just silly. Thats just arguing for the sake of arguing

You dont think theres a chance he could be sold in the summer rather than being offered a new deal?

You dont think theres a chance he could be sold in the summer rather than being offered a new deal?

its possible yes, but unless Pogba or Morrison are ready for the jump, i cant see it happening till next summer, which is why i think he'll get a new contract

Scholes & Giggs are on the verge of retirement. We need bodies coming in, not going out

its possible yes, but unless Pogba or Morrison are ready for the jump, i cant see it happening till next summer, which is why i think he'll get a new contract

Scholes & Giggs are on the verge of retirement. We need bodies coming in, not going out

Fair enough. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally i think its likely he'll move on. We'll have Cleverley back next season and i could see Giggs being used in the centre more. I think Hargreaves and Gibson are the ones most vulnerable if we're looking to invest in a couple of midfielders.

How about, "I know I've not reached my potential this season but I love this club and I'm bound and determined to do whatever it takes, for as long as it takes, until the job is done, damn it! I'm gonna earn that spot in the first eleven, and bust my arse to do it if that's what it takes. Just you watch, mother fecker!" ( or however you say that in Irish)

We've replaced Hargreaves long ago, in fact our midfield is filled with players who are capable of winning the ball. Considering the 25 player rule, having 6 midfielders capable of playing in CM is more then enough.

They may be capable of winning the ball. Passing it to a team mate seems a hard task at the moment though. This may be based on movement, but I have noticed it alot this season. Scholes and Fletcher in recent months have had difficulty.

Such a massive over exageration about Gibson, he is a good squad player. Nothing more at the moment. If he is happy to stay and be a squad player for the rest of his career id be absolutely fine with that.
Only if he gets more involved and goes looking for the ball more. We simply can't afford to have a cental midfielder who barely touches the ball and is never in position to receive a pass. I have no problem with his talent and indeed think he could become a very good squad player for us and perhaps even more, but until he starts getting more involved he's actually a weakness on the field. There's been the odd game where he's done so and he's been a good player on those days, so it's all up to him.

Unfortunately, I don't think he's got it in him. He just seems too happy to drift through the game.

He'll get a contract. Not because he deserves it. Because Carrick sure didn't deserve his...but because it's the cheaper option to keep a player we know then to look for 'value' in the market and end up with a potential dud like Bebe.

How about, "I know I've not reached my potential this season but I love this club and I'm bound and determined to do whatever it takes, for as long as it takes, until the job is done, damn it! I'm gonna earn that spot in the first eleven, and bust my arse to do it if that's what it takes. Just you watch, mother fecker!" ( or however you say that in Irish)

:lol:

Sure would have earned him a extra fan or 2 over here with that statement alright!

If I had a choice I'd rather have seen Gibson get a new contract than Carrick. People criticize Gibsons wastefulness in matches however at least he has the courage to try the impossible pass or shoot from distance, even if a good number of times it fails or breaks down the run of our play.

Whereas I feel Carrick seems more of a passenger to our play rather than someone who can effectively change a game. Always the backward pass or the side pass. He's a player that too afraid to take a risk, and get slated for it if he botches it up.

Carrick passes v Marseille: 43/52. Fwd: 4/12, Square: 17/18, Back: 9/9