Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

It was ok. We did get battered in possession middle of the park!

Our wide and attacking players were on it tonight, so the team played much better. Gibson wasn't particularly influential in that, but didn't do a lot wrong either. Got about the pitch a fair bit without ever doing too much!

Terrible I thought, struggled and it was only when Rafael joined the midfield he looked a bit more assured.

In fairness to Gibson he did alright tonight.

We got battered for possession as Arsenal had 3 against one at times. JOS was sat very deep in front of the back four and Gibson was greatly outnumbered. He's hardly going to be able outplay three himself is he, it would be hard enough being one player down.

It was also difficult for him to get on the ball and pick a pass early on as the central area was so congested. We had our best success when Smalling stepped in and made it abit more even and had to hit the wings or strikers with a well aimed long pass or Rooney dropping deep. I'm pretty sure this was how Fergie planned tonight tactically, as we always usually match Arsenal with three central midfielders.

Once we scored, we played on the break and I thought he did alright as part of a well organised team performance.

feck knows why he is getting stick, it's one of those nights when everyone did their job and we pulled off an unlikelish win.

He had a few good plays in more attacking areas. But once again he did very little of what is my biggest complaint - didn't make himself available anywhere near enough, and did virtually nothing in controlling the team around and dictating the tempo. I don't expect him to dominate the match or anything silly like that, but he has to get more involved in the middle of the pitch.

If it was just this match I wouldn't think twice considering we were outnumbered in the middle and I'd consider it tactics to go long and wide all the time. But he does it in 90% of the games he plays in.

I thought he was ok tonight, disappeared at times and neither he or O'Shea got near Wilshire on multiple occasions, but all in considering who he was paired with can't complain.

Did ok today, in fact did better than ok. Personally I thought O'Shea was far better though. Still, better from Gibson against a strong midfield.

He was quite good in possession, I thought. He still looks all at sea on the defensive side of things, which wasn't helped by being outnumbered in there.

Hold up... I remember many posters raving about Gibson a few years ago when he was 17/18 and playing in reserve and youth matches. Now he's suddenly never was a rated youth player? Sounds like some posters are tying to push their own agenda.

Having O'Shea there balanced that. He is a lot better defensively positionally and also tackling wise. Gibson will always be decent on the ball with time and space.

Hold up... I remember many posters raving about Gibson a few years ago when he was 17/18 and playing in reserve and youth matches. Now he's suddenly never was a rated youth player? Sounds like some posters are tying to push their own agenda.

Can only assume that's aimed at me. You seem to have missed the point. Name me one player that came through the ranks to become a first team player thy wasn't raved about in his teens? They all were. Along with a whole bunch of players that didn't make the step up.

We were talking relative to other players who did the same, though. Obviously Gibson was one of our better youngsters but he was never rated as highly as the likes of Pique, Fletcher or O'Shea.

How anyone can criticise him after that game is beyond me, he always gets loads of stick and is seen as a liability but how often is he on a losing side when he starts?

Kept possession well and was much better than Carrick has been this season.

Gibson was fine today, but he did nothing to demonstrate that he is developing some speed of thought and execution in his passing.

O'Shea was equally as good in midfield, and O'Shea is not a midfielder.

Fair enough, PM. I may have misunderstood the previous bickering between you and another.

Ach, it was a tangent. He was being portrayed as someone who lacked application, which meant his less talented peers were improving at a faster rate than him. I thought this was harsh, if only because none of his less talented peers have progressed as far as he has.

Gibson was fine today, but he did nothing to demonstrate that he is developing some speed of thought and execution in his passing.

You missed at least two very good examples when Gibson managed to control a hard ball, evade two or three Arsenal players and create a forward pass out of nothing.

I think today's central two of oshea and Gibson were better than most partnerships this season and that really is quite concerning.

Fantastic result and Gibson played his part.

How anyone can criticise him after that game is beyond me, he always gets loads of stick and is seen as a liability but how often is he on a losing side when he starts?

He plays for United Bobo, how often is anyone of a losing side?

Doesn't mean they contributed a great deal to the team performance. How often did Smith lose? How often did Bellion lose? How often did Richardson lose? There's a reason they're not here any more still

I wouldn't say he deserves criticism for his performance today, he did ok. I certainly wouldn't be singling him out for praise off the back of it though either

I think today's central two of oshea and Gibson were better than most partnerships this season and that really is quite concerning.

Fantastic result and Gibson played his part.

Only because their jobs today were not asking as much of them as other pairings have had to do.Their roles today were simply to stay back and keep their discipline. Had they been asked to break out of defence or get forward and support the attacks going box to box throughout the game, then im not sure their performances would have been so comfortable.

Furthermore, Rafael and Fabio got through an incredible amount of work in the first half. They were everywhere and i feel they took a lot of the workload from Gibson and O'Shea allowing them to maintain their positions and shield the back 4. Rooney also took on the creative burden, continually dropping back to help out and starting play from deep.

So while Gibson did ok alongside O'Shea, a lot of the credit must go to the Da Silva's and Rooney in particular, for significantly lightening the load.

He was poor today IMO, my decision mainly influenced by him being awful in the first half - he follows the ball but from a safe distance of five yards away, at pretty much all times. O'Shea was practically on his own alongside him.

I feel sorry for him as his confidence seems thoroughly shot - he doesn't seem to believe he's good enough at the moment. I'd be surprised if he is here next season.

Not even average again.

He managed to feck up at least 2-3 simple passes if I can remember.

O'Shea wasn't bad for a utility player in CM, as always you can't fault his application and determination. Gibson was shite warmed up.

Only because their jobs today were not asking as much of them as other pairings have had to do.Their roles today were simply to stay back and keep their discipline. Had they been asked to break out of defence or get forward and support the attacks going box to box throughout the game, then im not sure their performances would have been so comfortable.

Furthermore, Rafael and Fabio got through an incredible amount of work in the first half. They were everywhere and i feel they took a lot of the workload from Gibson and O'Shea allowing them to maintain their positions and shield the back 4. Rooney also took on the creative burden, continually dropping back to help out and starting play from deep.

So while Gibson did ok alongside O'Shea, a lot of the credit must go to the Da Silva's and Rooney in particular, for significantly lightening the load.

Good post - I think that's all true. Gibson's usual lack of proper workload was eased by Rooney dropping back and by the energy of the other midfielders. Not something we can normally get away with. Gibson is decent on the ball but dreadful off it. Not good enough.

Gibsons biggest problem is not making himself available for the ball making his partners job easier.

Gibsons biggest problem is not making himself available for the ball making his partners job easier.

That and an inability to track runners from midfield and do the nitty gritty of the defensive side of the game. He just doesn't seem to have the side to his game.