Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

If I had a choice I'd rather have seen Gibson get a new contract than Carrick. People criticize Gibsons wastefulness in matches however at least he has the courage to try the impossible pass or shoot from distance, even if a good number of times it fails or breaks down the run of our play.

Whereas I feel Carrick seems more of a passenger to our play rather than someone who can effectively change a game. Always the backward pass or the side pass. He's a player that too afraid to take a risk, and get slated for it if he botches it up.

Carrick is x1000 better player than Gibson.

I dont agree with that to be honest

horses for courses

lets face it, he couldnt have done any worse that what was served up on Saturday

Carrick was invisible, Scholes didnt have the legs, yet here we are again in the Gibson bashing thread

The Liverpool match has nothing to do with Gibson bashing. I dont really mention the midfield problem in this case as were talking about Gibson here.
All players On form, Gibson is bottom of our list.
He's just not good enough. IMO of course. I would like to see better players than him in his squad place.

He put in some decent shifts for us in his most recent outings for us especially against Marseille, if we were weak that night it wasn't because of him, in one of his other Champions League outings for us this season against Rangers at OT he was arguably our best player on the pitch. When in my opinion Darron Gibson is played in his correct position he is at his best, but played out of position (out on the wing) like so many players he can look like a fish out of water, to say we are much much weaker when he plays though is very harsh.

Well I think he is bang average and as in my reply to GB I think all players on form Gibson wouldnt be near the 1st 11.

The fact he has been the best player on the pitch in a couple of games is more to do with rubbish displays from the others than any uber quality from Gibson.

They may be capable of winning the ball. Passing it to a team mate seems a hard task at the moment though. This may be based on movement, but I have noticed it alot this season. Scholes and Fletcher in recent months have had difficulty.

I think that I've been misunderstood, lets rephrase what I said. Considering that Fletch, Carrick, Cleverley, Giggs and Anderson has signed new contracts + SAF would like to see Scholes sign another 1 yr contract too, then we've got the numbers (certainly not the quantity) that we need in midfield. 6 CMs in a 25 player's limit is more then enough.

Carrick is x1000 better player than Gibson.

Apart from Scholes from obvious reasons none of our CM deserve to wear the red shirt unless they buy it from the megastore like any other fan.

@ Brad

He was a younger then and hadn't played more than a handful of games for the first team. He has now built up some appearances for the first team, scored a few belters, made progress at International level. What im getting at is that he's now worth a few quid more than back then. They wont let him go for next to nothing or even for free. He'll resign a new contract, I have no doubt about that. Whether he stays for long after signing that contract, is another matter.

As for criticizing him for his answers in an interview, thats just silly. Thats just arguing for the sake of arguing

No its not. He's happy with his form? He's been, for the most part, crap. Perhaps his comment gives a little insight into the reasons he hasn't particularly progressed as a player, while those apparently less promising at given points in time have blossomed. Where's the drive and determination to improve there?

And why would he sign a new contract, just to get a bigger fee at a later date, when these days his wages will probably cost more than anything we eventually flog him for?

No its not. He's happy with his form? He's been, for the most part, crap. Perhaps his comment gives a little insight into the reasons he hasn't particularly progressed as a player, while those apparently less promising at given points in time have blossomed. Where's the drive and determination to improve there?

And why would he sign a new contract, just to get a bigger fee at a later date, when these days his wages will probably cost more than anything we eventually flog him for?

Who are they, then?

wheres the drive and determination?

on the training pitch presumably, where educated football people make decisions on him

:lol: Damn us uneducated Neanderthal folk who dare to analyse a football player on, shock horror, his performances on the pitch

He's 23. If he's a legend of training ground football, might be care to start transferring that to the arena it matters?

You want me to provide a list of players who've developed at a better rate than Gibson? That's seriously the avenue you want to go down? How difficult a task do you think that would be Pogue?

I want you to answer my question, if that's ok. Players who were once less promising than Gibson but have since surpassed him ("blossomed") due to working harder and showing more determination than him. Just one or two will do. No need for an exhaustive list.

Gibbo will play, score and have a stormer today. Facht.

I want you to answer my question, if that's ok. Players who were once less promising than Gibson but have since surpassed him ("blossomed") due to working harder and showing more determination than him. Just one or two will do. No need for an exhaustive list.

A lot will depend on the word 'apparently' I used. Some will have rated a player more highly at a younger age than another. Hence why I stayed away from specifically naming other players, which I saw as an irrelevance, because it inevitably leads to player A vs player B nonsense

But as you wish. Pique, Cleverley, O'Shea. Just from this club

Gibson ain't that good and he isn't even particularly young anymore.

Another average player who simply is not good enough to be starting week in week out.

Eh? Pique was one of the most highly rated teens in Europe. O'Shea was also much more highly rated than Gibson during his formative years.

Cleverley would be a good example but let's wait until he's played as many games for United as Gibson before deciding he's passed him out.

A lot will depend on the word 'apparently' I used. Some will have rated a player more highly at a younger age than another. Hence why I stayed away from specifically naming other players, which I saw as an irrelevance, because it inevitably leads to player A vs player B nonsense

But as you wish. Pique, Cleverley, O'Shea. Just from this club

So if I understand correctly you're listing players that you think were less promising as a youth prospect than Gibson but have now surpassed him?

If that is the case I disagree with all 3 of those examples. I'm sure there are many others though.

Gibson ain't that good and he isn't even particularly young anymore.

Another average player who simply is not good enough to be starting week in week out.

He's only a year older than Anderson yet he seems to be allowed more time by the fans despite playing more senior games for the club (I think).

My view on Gibson hasn't changed. He's been pretty shit this season but I hope we don't give up on him because I think there's something there. Call it a hunch or whatever but I reckon with some perseverence he could shine.

He does need regular football though. Hopefully we'd consider a loan before anything permanent.

Of course any examples I throw out can easily be refuted, because it all depends how highly you rated Gibson initially, compared to the others. Hence why I didn't name names

The point I was making, and the real one that should be contested if you disagree, is that Gibson hasn't progressed particularly, his performances haven't been that great, and being happy with that isn't something that bodes well for the future. It could well be his comments give a little insight as to why he hasn't progressed rapidly despite being at such a big club, surrounded by such high quality players, and been given regular opportunities

Of course any examples I throw out can easily be refuted, because it all depends how highly you rated Gibson initially, compared to the others. Hence why I didn't name names

The point I was making, and the real one that should be contested if you disagree, is that Gibson hasn't progressed particularly, his performances haven't been that great, and being happy with that isn't something that bodes well for the future. It could well be his comments give a little insight as to why he hasn't progressed rapidly despite being at such a big club, surrounded by such high quality players, and been given regular opportunities

He may or may not be good enough for United (probably not IMO) but he's definitely progressed as a player, albeit probably not as much as Fergie would have hoped. That's not really what I'm taking issue with though.

You implied his lack of progression is down to a lack of application, without any evidence at all that this is the case. I think it's much more likely the talent just isn't there. He'll probably have a very good career at a mid-table PL club, or in the Championship but he doesn't seem to have the quality to play for United in the long term. I hope I'm wrong but that's my take on it. No need to imply he simply can't be arsed though. That's unnecessarily harsh.

He may or may not be good enough for United (probably not IMO) but he's definitely progressed as a player, albeit probably not as much as Fergie would have hoped. That's not really what I'm taking issue with though.

You implied his lack of progression is down to a lack of application, without any evidence at all that this is the case. I think it's much more likely the talent just isn't there. He'll probably have a very good career at a mid-table PL club, or in the Championship but he doesn't seem to have the quality to play for United in the long term. I hope I'm wrong but that's my take on it. No need to imply he simply can't be arsed though. That's unnecessarily harsh.

I implied it might be

And it might very well be

Do I think Gibson is bereft of talent? No. Do I think he could be a better player now given what I saw from him a few years ago? Yes. I've never thought him the most talented, and you might be right perhaps he just isn't good enough for this level. I think his comment implies he might well be happy with his lot, and that passion and determination those that do rocket on with their progression around (and earlier than) his age

I'm aware its just a comment and you don't want to read too much into it. It might be reflective of his wider problem though who knows

The next Liam Miller. Him paired with O'Shea is ..... Rooney has to track back and get the ball himself since it seems the central midfield doesn't exist.

Gibson might make a good PL ref.

Make no mistake though, he has been good on the ball the 2 or 3 times that he's had a chance to dribble. Other than that, where is Gibson?

The next Liam Miller. Him paired with O'Shea is ..... Rooney has to track back and get the ball himself since it seems the central midfield doesn't exist.

Rooney always tracks back & if our midfield were so bad there, that you describe them as not existing at all, well then how in the feck are we gone in a goal to the good.

Same old Gibson. No desire to get on the ball whatsoever. The number of times our centre backs have looked up and had no option but a long ball has been criminal.

Make no mistake though, he has been good on the ball the 2 or 3 times that he's had a chance to dribble. Other than that, where is Gibson?

:lol: ridiculous

That's more through instructions so we replicate a 4-5-1 a bit more rather than him having to because the CM's are playing bad.

Gibson's hardly seen the ball but that's because we've mainly been playing on the wings through obvious reasons.

I'm not a Gibson fan but I thought he was good tonight. Kept the game ticking over, Carrick-esque (The good Carrick)

Yeah. I couldn't believe he was getting slagged off in the matchday thread.

I thought he played pretty well.

It was hard for him to play shit today :lol:

Would give him a 6. Done what was required.. Not going to critise him

Arguably the first goal wouldn't have happened had he not found himself a bit of space and played in Rafael, liked aswell at one stage in the first half he was shouting for people to make themselves free for the ball. He was pretty solid.