Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

I'm not really sure what was supposed to be so special by todays pass, he sees Berbatovs run (which any professional player at United should be able to do) and there isn't a single Wigan player trying to intercept the pass as they are all standing still pretending it's offside.

The rest of the time he gets caught in possession when he tries simple passes and he doesn't actually do much else.

By all means, it's positive that he's involved in a goal but it was hardly anything special.

I think Carrick and Fletchers lack of seing a inventive forward pass makes Gibson's pass special because we don't really see it from our midfielders. Hence the crying for a creative midfielder.

The great gibson questions?

Is he complete rubbish? No
Is he good enough to command a regular starting spot at United? No
Will he ever be that good? I dont think so
Does he strike fear into opponents? No
Will he Ever Dominate the midfield of a top class European tie? No
Will redcafe ever unite in support of him? No
Is he good to have around as a squad player? Yes

He is not complete rubbish but he is well below the standard of midfielders that have preceeded him.
As far as im concerned he's not a worry for me if he is only going to be a squaddy.
If he is the best we can expect to have in the future then i'll be worried.

Close Thread!! Everything in a nutshell..

The great gibson questions?

Is he complete rubbish? No
Is he good enough to command a regular starting spot at United? No
Will he ever be that good? I dont think so
Does he strike fear into opponents? No
Will he Ever Dominate the midfield of a top class European tie? No
Will redcafe ever unite in support of him? No
Is he good to have around as a squad player? Yes
The problem is that this one is far from certain. I've always said that he's had the talent, but by and large he hasn't shown the mentality and work rate to come in and show it. If he does take that step up then fantastic, he'll be a bloody good squad player for as long as he wants to stay in that position. But if he doesn't step up then he doesn't bring enough to the team to perform to a suitable standard even for a squad player.

Also

Gibson, like most professional footballers, can spot a run made by a teammate. The question is how much time he gets on the ball to deliver the ball to.

Against Crawley in the first half, they gave him plenty of time on the ball and as a result he had no problem picking out players making runs. Is that because his passing game has suddenly evolved and that he's now better with the ball at his feet ? well, in the second half they crowded him and he was back to his normal self. Loosing the ball and pretty much looking clueless.

...And it wasn't as if he was actually quite good in the first half either, he was just slightly less rubbish than the other central midfield players, which imo hardly warrants much praise.

What should be a bit of a warning is that few are talking about his potential, people are mostly focusing on how Fletcher was regarded as a lost cause but managed to turn it around, and that Fergie still uses him so he must see something in him and that he's always right.

Gibson is yet to show much of a potential, he has hammered in a long shot here and there (often followed by 900 attempts closer to the corner flag than the goal), and a few decent first or second half performances where he looked good. However, he's close to his mid 20's and is yet to look like a top player in the making. Even Djemba Djemba had a few good performances.

By all means, he could turn it around. Obertan might suddenly turn into a brilliant player, Bebe could turn out to be the next Ronaldo, weirder things have happened.

It's just not very fecking likely

It was a good pass today yeah but given the fact every single Wigan player was in uniteds half his job was made easier. But credit to him for lifting his head and seeing the pass

But... Every single player at the club should be capable of looking for a pass instead of hoofing the ball a la Jamie carragher style.

I dont think Gibson is as good as I would like him to be.
And certainly not as bad as some people think.
Yes we need a new CM (maybe two) in summer.
Scoles is older, Anderson is not great, Carrick has gone backwards and lacks bite, Fletcher not having a great season....Cleverley will come back from loan and Gibson will hav several premiership games under his belt.
For me he is best at these thru passes and oddly its now more prominent weapon in his arsenal than long range shots.
He seems to lack speed and drifts out of games.
Has rarely if ever imposed himself on a game but I think at this stage thats ok with Fergie.

The most disheartening aspect of this thread is that even when he plays reasonably well, theres always an excuse offered by those that dont rate him.

Against Crawley......he was as good as anyone......but it "was only Crawley Town".
Against Marseilles he was probably our best in midfield.......bur "Fletcher & Carrick were poor"
Against Wigan, he came on when we were 2-0 up......77th minute.......he was involved in a goal.

That was a good weeks work guys.
For me......there is not enough evidence to say whether the glass is half-full or half-empty.........but too many willing to look on the negative.
I couldn't agree more.

People were laughing at me in Chalie Adam thread when I said they were similar players but that is exactly what I see from Gibson. A talented passer, talented user of the ball full stop but not combative enough to really command a place regularly in a top team. Hope I'm wrong though, been impressed with his last few games.

People were laughing at me in Chalie Adam thread when I said they were similar players but that is exactly what I see from Gibson. A talented passer, talented user of the ball full stop but not combative enough to really command a place regularly in a top team. Hope I'm wrong though, been impressed with his last few games.
If he learns to become as consistently lethal as Adam has been for Blackpool. I'd love such a squad player on our books.

I dont think Gibson is as good as I would like him to be.
And certainly not as bad as some people think.
Yes we need a new CM (maybe two) in summer.
Scoles is older, Anderson is not great, Carrick has gone backwards and lacks bite, Fletcher not having a great season....Cleverley will come back from loan and Gibson will hav several premiership games under his belt.
For me he is best at these thru passes and oddly its now more prominent weapon in his arsenal than long range shots.
He seems to lack speed and drifts out of games.
Has rarely if ever imposed himself on a game but I think at this stage thats ok with Fergie.

The most disheartening aspect of this thread is that even when he plays reasonably well, theres always an excuse offered by those that dont rate him.

Against Crawley......he was as good as anyone......but it "was only Crawley Town".
Against Marseilles he was probably our best in midfield.......bur "Fletcher & Carrick were poor"
Against Wigan, he came on when we were 2-0 up......77th minute.......he was involved in a goal.

That was a good weeks work guys.
For me......there is not enough evidence to say whether the glass is half-full or half-empty.........but too many willing to look on the negative.

I don't know about others, but the point I made about Crawley Town was to praise Gibson for his passing while wondering if having time on the ball afforded to him wasn't the difference. That's a good deal more specific than "it's only Crawley Town."

He had Fletcher and Carrick behind him against Marseilles, and we improved once he went off. I don't see how Gibson gets any credit out of that match.

Ok, he was involved in our third goal against a demoralized Wigan who were throwing everyone forward. The same question remains - can he do it when he doesn't have time on the ball?

To be successful at United you have to be able to break down opponents who pack the box with defenders and employ negative tactics. Or, you have to be able to play at a high tempo in end to end matches with the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool.

The glass is half full for Crawley Town and Wigan when the fans are already streaming out of the ground. Otherwise the glass is half empty.

TBF to Gibbo, he has show more of what he has in the locker than any other time in this season or last. He has some passing ability, a new attribute. He still doesn't want the ball when he is off the ball.

The things that you cant change are two things:

1) He will be 24 y.o in a few months time. The clock is ticking.
2) He's not the fastest nor the most nimble/mobile of players so in many games, they will over-run him in the middle of the park. Tough in the league that relies on speed, skills and physicality.

One thing that he isnt doing that he did last year was score goals, that is actually probably the only thing he can do better than the other midfielders or at least it seemed like that last year, but this year I dont think he has scored.

One thing that he isnt doing that he did last year was score goals, that is actually probably the only thing he can do better than the other midfielders or at least it seemed like that last year, but this year I dont think he has scored.
One against Scunthorpe.

He was great today when he came on. His ball for Berbatov in the built up to Rooney's goal was fecking class.

Be great for the lad Gibson (and us) if he can put in a solid stint during the run in.

He has made a few good passes in the last 3 games, against Crawley and Wigan. You know what they say about swallows and summer though.

He seems to be good at the long range defence splitters yet not so often plays the short pass defence splitters like all the top playmakers can do!! He is still a work in progress though!

He was great today when he came on. His ball for Berbatov in the built up to Rooney's goal was fecking class.

Be great for the lad Gibson (and us) if he can put in a solid stint during the run in.

There wasn't a Wigan player in the Wigan half of the pitch! It's hardly the pass of the century but as I said earlier credit to him for seeing the pass and not hoofing it. But united players should be expected to pass and not hoof.

I agree it would be good if he put in a good stint But saying that I'd prefer others to play instead of him

There wasn't a Wigan player in the Wigan half of the pitch! It's hardly the pass of the century but as I said earlier credit to him for seeing the pass and not hoofing it. But united players should be expected to pass and not hoof.

I agree it would be good if he put in a good stint But saying that I'd prefer others to play instead of him
Exactly. With the run Berbatov made all he had to do was lob it so it ended up somewhere in the Wigan half. Hardly a pass that required any skill whatsoever. The vision to actually see Berba's run was what was good about the pass.

If you want to see an excellent pass; look at the one Scholes gave Chicharito a short while after the first goal. He just knew where Chicharito would run and didn't even look as he put it just over the defender's head and onto the foot of Chicharito, who unfortunately mis-controlled it.

He's not good enough to start obviously because his movement and tactical awareness are so poor. Unfortunately for him, in a key area like midfield, we can't take any chances with him in the team, and being terrible when played against lesser teams didn't do him any favor either.

He has looked more fired up & confident recently, talking more, more mobile, asking for the ball, looking for the killer pass. Some of the quotes from the coaches about him being a 'Rolls Royce' & shit, plus the fact he keeps getting games suggests the club really rate him.

Still think he could develop into a Lampard kinda player.

If you want to see an excellent pass; look at the one Scholes gave Chicharito a short while after the first goal. He just knew where Chicharito would run and didn't even look as he put it just over the defender's head and onto the foot of Chicharito, who unfortunately mis-controlled it.

i wish people would stop holding scholes up as the comparison for youngsters to emulate. There is not many players on the planet that stand up to Scholes magic

Prefer to have Gibson over Fletcher in my team these days...

Doesn't say much for Fletcher. At least Fletch has shown on more than one occasion he really contribute (alright, not a lot lately but he's great role player and will run, chase and harrie till the cows come home when asked)
Gibson seems to plays "scared" IMO. Doesn't want it enough and gets too flustered under pressure. Has played a couple of good balls through usualy from deep positions of late but not sure if he's really up to it consistently enough.

Darron Gibson has pledged his future to Manchester United, revealing that he has no intention of quitting the club in the foreseeable future despite warnings from Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni about remaining at Old Trafford.

Trapattoni warned Gibson when the Ireland international squad met up for recent friendlies, telling the young midfielder that he should consider switching clubs to get more time on the field. However, the 23-year-old midfielder has insisted he intends to fight for a place in the United first 11 rather than turn his back on the club.

“I know what *Trapattoni would like me to do, but leaving a club like United is easier said than done,” Gibson revealed.

“He wants me to play every week so that he can get the best out of me when I play for Ireland. But no-one is guaranteed a game at United. It isn’t just me. Look at Dimitar *Berbatov, who has been on the bench for our last few games.

“Of course I get frustrated when I’m not in the team but I think I will learn more training with top-class *players and playing in big games when I get my chance rather than playing every week at a smaller club.

“To be honest, I was a bit disappointed by what Trapattoni said," he added. "Things like that are my decision. If I wanted to leave I would, but I have got just over a year left on my current *contract and, although there haven’t been any talks yet, I am confident of getting a new deal.

"We have some of the best young players around at the moment and that’s why I am happy to bide my time here.

“I haven’t put a timescale on how long it will be before I realise it isn’t working and decide to move on. My first aim is to get one more game under my belt to qualify for a title medal – and if I can get a game, a goal and a win at Liverpool that would be great.

“What I would like is a run of games in the team. If I had something like 10 consecutive starts and then found myself back in the position I am now then I’d have to consider things. But at the moment, I am really happy where I am.”

Man Utd Midfielder Pledges Loyalty to Fergie

Hasn't tweeted since that post after our loss. Maybe club policy reigning him in?

If that's the case I fear for Rio :lol:

Gibson hopeful over Utd deal | Manchester United News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson expects to hold talks with the club over a new deal in the summer.

The 23-year-old, who has just over a year to run on his current contract, admits he would be happy to pledge his long-term future to the club.

United have recently secured Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick on fresh terms and Gibson is ready to sit down and discuss an extension at the end of the season.

Gibson's future at United has been the subject of conjecture with Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni calling on the player to leave Old Trafford in search of regular first-team football to boost his international aspirations.

However, Gibson insists he has no plans to leave United and has vowed to fight for a place in Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

"My contract ends in 2012 and although there have been no talks at the minute I am not too worried about," Gibson told skysports.com at an event promoting EA SPORTS FIFA 11 Ultimate Team.

No plans to leave
"I think they will maybe in the summer sit down and have a chat about a new deal and I am confident I can get one.

"I have no plans to leave Manchester United.

"My main goal is to try and get to play every week and be in there as a regular, but I think things are going well for me at the minute.

"Obviously I want to kick on and get in the team, but I am happy enough."
Gibson insists he has been happy with his form when he has been given a chance in the United side this season

"I am happy enough with my form, I have got no complaints," added Gibson.
"Obviously I would like to have scored a few more goals, but I am enjoying it at the minute and hopefully I can kick on and play in the rest of the games that are left in the season."

seems to me he wouldnt mind being a squad player at old trafford for the rest of his career, if he is happy enough with his form and the way things are going he obviously hasnt high hopes for himself.

He should be chomping at the bit. I dont get a feeling of determination or drive in this interview.

I dont think he will be offered a new deal. It wouldnt bother me either way.

I still get a feeling that he will become a much better player than most people on here reckon. I think next year he might show what he is all about.

Jesus christ, I'd be much more happy if he came out and said he was angry with his recent performances and wanted to prove how good a player he can really be. To say he is happy with his form scares the hell out of me.

I still get a feeling that he will become a much better player than most people on here reckon. I think next year he might show what he is all about.

I hope so!

Jesus christ, I'd be much more happy if he came out and said he was angry with his recent performances and wanted to prove how good a player he can really be. To say he is happy with his form scares the hell out of me.

I am with you on this finneh. While he hasnt been the worst in the world he certainly has a long long way to go to become a regular at United.

Such a massive over exageration about Gibson, he is a good squad player. Nothing more at the moment. If he is happy to stay and be a squad player for the rest of his career id be absolutely fine with that.

Such a massive over exageration about Gibson, he is a good squad player. Nothing more at the moment. If he is happy to stay and be a squad player for the rest of his career id be absolutely fine with that.

i actually think, at the moment that he isnt even good enough to take a squad place at the club.
He has had long enough and is still bang average.

Gibsons fate will depend on 2 factors this summer

1: Who is released/sold/retired? ie hargo released, scholes maybe retiring
2: Who is signed to replace anyone from above list

If we sign 2 high quality central players or even 1 and one promising youngster like rodwell or something then I think gibson is off

With that there would be enough goodplayers to have in a rotation system.

Not to have to lower the quality of the team when gibson comes in.

we are much much weaker when gibson plays.

we are much much weaker when gibson plays.

I dont agree with that to be honest

horses for courses

lets face it, he couldnt have done any worse that what was served up on Saturday

Carrick was invisible, Scholes didnt have the legs, yet here we are again in the Gibson bashing thread