Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

MICK McCarthy believes loan star Darron Gibson will make a name for himself - but at Manchester United, not Wolves.

The Londonderry-born youngster, who recently turned 20, is on loan at Molineux for an initial three-month period.

McCarthy appreciates he has been given an opportunity to nurture the midfielder's talents.

And the Wolves boss believes Gibson will go on to become the real deal, although probably at Old Trafford.

Even though Gibson has only played one-and-a-half games, McCarthy has been impressed by his attitude and talent. "I've been very impressed with him," said McCarthy of Gibson, who had previously spent time with United's Belgian nursery club Royal Antwerp.

"He's a very, very good player with a good attitude to him and will go on to far bigger and better things at Man United.

"Really good youngsters will always do well at a club like United and Darron is only 20.

"He's played senior international football and will go on to make an impact at Man United - this is just part of his development. It's hard because Karl Henry and Seyi Olofinjana have played well but we're losing Seyi in January (to the African Nations Cup) so it's important Darron plays games.

"He himself has been surprised with the pace of games as he's been playing at Royal Antwerp - this is the next level for him.

"Johnny Evans and Danny Simpson benefited from Championship football last season (with Sunderland) and now Darron will."

He was on loan at Wolves. It's very very unlikely that coaches would criticise a player not belonging to the club. He has most likely made the comment up and now cannot back up his story.

Maybe. I'm sure he'll come back and explain the comment, even if he can't prove it. Expecting the words of a random Wolves coach on a non high profile player several years ago to be readily available on google is a big ask though

Jeezzz. :lol:

It was mentioned on the radio a while back that a coach at wolves who the presenter happened to know gave his opinion on Gibson whilst he was there and of his United career.

There's no source or no quotes... Question is why would i just make shit up.

It was mentioned on the radio a while back that a coach at wolves who the presenter happened to know gave his opinion on Gibson whilst he was there and of his United career.

To give credence to your opinion and make it look like you're right?

You've just had an article dispell your claim by praising Gibson by the Wolves manager himself. Hardly not thinking he's worth it is it.

To give credence to your opinion and make it look like you're right?

You've just had an article dispell your claim by praising Gibson by the Wolves manager himself. Hardly not thinking he's worth it is it.

A manger praises a loan player in the media?? Okay because people that have a camera or microphone in their face tend not to lie? He's hardly going to discredit him is he?

Give me an article where one of our youngsters when on loan and got a bad report even if it was a successful time?

A manger praises a loan player in the media?? Okay because people that have a camera or microphone in their face tend not to lie? He's hardly going to discredit him is he?

Give me an article where one of our youngsters when on loan and got a bad report even if it was a successful time?

Weird topic for an argument amongst United fans.

Who cares what 'a coach at Wolves' may have said to a radio presenter?

The important thing is that he's still got a United career as we speak, and still being picked by SAF.

Weird topic for an argument amongst United fans.

Who cares what 'a coach at Wolves' may have said to a radio presenter?

The important thing is that he's still got a United career as we speak, and still being picked by SAF.

Couldn't agree more with what you said there, particularly the later.

MICK McCarthy believes loan star Darron Gibson will make a name for himself - but at Manchester United, not Wolves.

The Londonderry-born youngster, who recently turned 20, is on loan at Molineux for an initial three-month period.

McCarthy appreciates he has been given an opportunity to nurture the midfielder's talents.

And the Wolves boss believes Gibson will go on to become the real deal, although probably at Old Trafford.

Even though Gibson has only played one-and-a-half games, McCarthy has been impressed by his attitude and talent. "I've been very impressed with him," said McCarthy of Gibson, who had previously spent time with United's Belgian nursery club Royal Antwerp.

"He's a very, very good player with a good attitude to him and will go on to far bigger and better things at Man United.

"Really good youngsters will always do well at a club like United and Darron is only 20.

"He's played senior international football and will go on to make an impact at Man United - this is just part of his development. It's hard because Karl Henry and Seyi Olofinjana have played well but we're losing Seyi in January (to the African Nations Cup) so it's important Darron plays games.

"He himself has been surprised with the pace of games as he's been playing at Royal Antwerp - this is the next level for him.

"Johnny Evans and Danny Simpson benefited from Championship football last season (with Sunderland) and now Darron will."

He's 23/24 not 20 :lol: You'd think he'd know that or is he trying it on?

an anonymous coach was on our local radio and said that ryan giggs was shit when he was a teenager

sorry, i cant prove or disprove it

He's played a few absolute belters in the last 3 games, nice to see something come of one of them. Btw, how funny was the utterly pointless freeze frame on the replay. He was in his own fecking half!

A game where we're dominating and leading. Gibson does well then. His mentality to always try the through ball instead of easy ball like Carrick and Fletcher often do comes in handy.

He's played a few absolute belters in the last 3 games, nice to see something come of one of them. Btw, how funny was the utterly pointless freeze frame on the replay. He was in his own fecking half!

Pointless? To show how awful the Wigan defense was. Way way too high up.

A game where we're dominating and leading. Gibson does well then. His mentality to always try the through ball instead of easy ball like Carrick and Fletcher often do comes in handy.

how about for a change you just recognise it was a quality pass?

Pointless? To show how awful the Wigan defense was. Way way too high up.

I don't think you need to freeze the picture to spot a bunch of cretins standing still five yards into the opposition half.

Gibson has done all right recently. At least he looks to pass the ball forward, unlike some of our other more established CM's.

I dont think Gibson is as good as I would like him to be.
And certainly not as bad as some people think.
Yes we need a new CM (maybe two) in summer.
Scoles is older, Anderson is not great, Carrick has gone backwards and lacks bite, Fletcher not having a great season....Cleverley will come back from loan and Gibson will hav several premiership games under his belt.
For me he is best at these thru passes and oddly its now more prominent weapon in his arsenal than long range shots.
He seems to lack speed and drifts out of games.
Has rarely if ever imposed himself on a game but I think at this stage thats ok with Fergie.

The most disheartening aspect of this thread is that even when he plays reasonably well, theres always an excuse offered by those that dont rate him.

Against Crawley......he was as good as anyone......but it "was only Crawley Town".
Against Marseilles he was probably our best in midfield.......bur "Fletcher & Carrick were poor"
Against Wigan, he came on when we were 2-0 up......77th minute.......he was involved in a goal.

That was a good weeks work guys.
For me......there is not enough evidence to say whether the glass is half-full or half-empty.........but too many willing to look on the negative.

Regardless of how good Gibson is or is not, we need a top quality midfielder in the summer in my opinion. We are a good midfield side when our midfielders are on form, especially Carrick and Fletcher, but when either or both are off form we really struggle. I think we could do with a midfielder, and I'd be a fairly strong defender of our midfield.

He's done quite well in the last few matches. But really, not well enough to change the consensus about him - he can be a squad player for us. That hasn't changed.

Um, how old was he 2-3 years ago, when he was on loan at Wolves?

The article is clearly from that period - the writer himself says Gibson recently joined Wolves on loan and is 20 years old. He went there in October '07.

fair enough cunto ..:p

He played a wonderful ball forward which resulted in Rooney's goal.

More of that please.

He has ability with the ball at his feet and obviously the shooting is there but, the off the ball work and the defensive side of his game is severely lacking.

If there is anything he needs to do more of is show a lot more for the ball and work that much harder if he wants to break into the first team (and stay). Once he does that - his stronger attributes will shine through. It is the weak part of his game which he hasn't shown any signs of improvement for me this season that say he isn't good enough.

I'm not really sure what was supposed to be so special by todays pass, he sees Berbatovs run (which any professional player at United should be able to do) and there isn't a single Wigan player trying to intercept the pass as they are all standing still pretending it's offside.

The rest of the time he gets caught in possession when he tries simple passes and he doesn't actually do much else.

By all means, it's positive that he's involved in a goal but it was hardly anything special.

The great gibson questions?

Is he complete rubbish? No
Is he good enough to command a regular starting spot at United? No
Will he ever be that good? I dont think so
Does he strike fear into opponents? No
Will he Ever Dominate the midfield of a top class European tie? No
Will redcafe ever unite in support of him? No
Is he good to have around as a squad player? Yes

He is not complete rubbish but he is well below the standard of midfielders that have preceeded him.
As far as im concerned he's not a worry for me if he is only going to be a squaddy.
If he is the best we can expect to have in the future then i'll be worried.

Gibson's "problem" is that he has many of the same flaws that the majority of our midfielders have - and many of the same strengths. Him, Carrick and Scholes are all excellent ballplayers - but they lack mobility and pace.

If Gibson had been surrounded by a Roy Keane in his prime and maybe a Paul Scholes from 6-7 years back - his strengths would be more visible.

Darron Gibson has quite a few qualities - but he needs different players around him to really develop - and be used in a way that makes him more suited for our style of play.