Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Not really, of the midfield 3 the most junior player was arguably the best, yet on here he gets slammed. Relative to what we need from the players Gibson was the least disappointing last sat.

( I agree with the Carrick for England thing btw)

Against non league opposition Moses, and he was decent, no more. It's nothing to be writing home about, and in the grander scheme, he's not got it has he? Carrick and Anderson have shown at various points they have the class and on their day they're more than worthy of their place. Gibson hasn't by a fair distance

Personally if I were him I'd be wanting regular first team football now anyway. Tough to leave United but you only get one career, he surely wants to spend it playing. I don't think he's got what it takes to trouble our first team regularly

Against non league opposition Moses, and he was decent, no more. It's nothing to be writing home about, and in the grander scheme, he's not got it has he? Carrick and Anderson have shown at various points they have the class and on their day they're more than worthy of their place. Gibson hasn't by a fair distance

Personally if I were him I'd be wanting regular first team football now anyway. Tough to leave United but you only get one career, he surely wants to spend it playing. I don't think he's got what it takes to trouble our first team regularly

Agreed.

If he was 19 I would be saying differently, but at his age now he simply hasn't shown enough to warrant us keeping him in the squad. I would much sooner get a glimpse of Cleverly or open up a place for someone from the youth team that continually rely on Gibson.

His displays are very underwhelming from a player who should be keen as mustard to impress!

True, but on saturdays showing the other two with all their experience and class should be there to help Gibson along. I know it was against non-league oppo but they were the same non league lads that rendered the other two even more ineffectual.

The arguments for Gibson on his performances are not good, I just think expecting someone with his inexperience to rise above a malaise that affected the whole team is unfair.

As for wanting fist team football, maybe he's amazing in training and it looks nailed on. There must be something we don't see, because on the pitch he has more often than not looked below par.

True, but on saturdays showing the other two with all their experience and class should be there to help Gibson along. I know it was against non-league oppo but they were the same non league lads that rendered the other two even more ineffectual.

The arguments for Gibson on his performances are not good, I just think expecting someone with his inexperience to rise above a malaise that affected the whole team is unfair.

As for wanting fist team football, maybe he's amazing in training and it looks nailed on. There must be something we don't see, because on the pitch he has more often than not looked below par.

Actually we started playing poorly when Anderson went off so he shouldn't be included in the criticism at all.

Actually we started playing poorly when Anderson went off so he shouldn't be included in the criticism at all.

In fairness, we were fairly poor for the whole game, and Anderson was the one taken off, then the change to 4-4-2 made us worse somehow.

Rio posting Evra and Cashley are two best left-backs in the world. And then it goes...

Someone: Marcelo is better than both and more of an attacking threat.
Rio: Slap yourself with a wet salmon!!

Someone: not this season,Baines has been far better than the 2 of them
Rio: he has been quality this year. But them 2 are still ahead

Someone: what *** Baines and Bale??
Rio: Do u watch football??? Bale hasn't played left back this season, ask Arry!

Someone: Bale and Clichy !Ashley is not as good anymore =X
Rio: maybe on Fifa11 !!

Last one made me :lol:

do you apply the same logic to Carrick and Anderson?

Carrick has proved himself in the past. He has stepped up in big games and been effective, he seems to be going a dip in form but at least he has performed at a high level for us. To certain extent Anderson has done the same, games against Liverpool and Arsenal in his first season stand out. Like I said if the other two aren't performing then it's Gibson's chance to step up and prove he can do it. He doesn't seem to be able to do it against mediocre opposition and I have serious doubts about him being able to do it against quality opposition. He's 23 now. The whole "the kid has some potential" tag is long gone. He's got to do it and frankly I think he'd be better off doing it with the likes of West Brom, Aston Villa or Blackburn.

He's 23, he's not a kid anymore. Probably 1/3rd if not more of his career has gone already. Anderson is younger than him for fecks sake!

I'm sure I said 'inexperienced'. And that my point was that he was the least experienced of the three playing.

I'm sure I said inexperienced. And that my point was that he was the least experienced of the three playing.

You did. And I thought it was a daft point to try and make, when he's younger than the player you feel needs hand holding. Gibson has to step up, and so far this season, he's been passably decent for my money

You did. And I thought it was a daft point to try and make, when he's younger than the player you feel needs hand holding. Gibson has to step up, and so far this season, he's been passably decent for my money

That's a fair summation of him. But we don't need passably decent at this stage, we need players to deliver or at least give us some hope that they can on this stage

Age and experience are different words for a reason Brad. And daft in that everyone progresses at the same rate? Sorry I wasn't aware.

Age and experience are different words for a reason Brad. And daft in that everyone progresses at the same rate? Sorry I wasn't aware.

Your right in that progression varies with each person but how long would you suggest before Gibson reaches the potential that some see? Do Utd just wait around or give the opportunity to younger players?

Your right in that progression varies with each person but how long would you suggest before Gibson reaches the potential that some see? Do Utd just wait around or give the opportunity to younger players?

Not much longer to be honest, unless he's pulling up trees in training.

My only point although I seem to be defending myself away from it is that I think it's far more worrying that the players we are looking to to deliver trophies were outplayed by a non league side. There are many reasons to have a go at Gibson, but being better than Carrick and Anderson on saturday is way down the list.

Not much longer to be honest, unless he's pulling up trees in training.

My only point although I seem to be defending myself away from it is that I think it's far more worrying that the players we are looking to to deliver trophies were outplayed by a non league side. There are many reasons to have a go at Gibson, but being better than Carrick and Anderson on saturday is way down the list.

It gets to a point where what does training matter?? If he can't do it on the pitch could care less what he does on the training field!! It's the match that counts.

It gets to a point where what does training matter?? If he can't do it on the pitch could care less what he does on the training field!! It's the match that counts.

I agree. By trying to put his performance on Saturday in some context it looks like I'm saying the bloke is the future of the club. Wel in redcafe.

I don't understand all the criticism he gets, if anything he dug us out of a bit of a hole on Saturday and could and probably should have had about 4 assists in the first half. He hardly plays enough to get blamed for much at all anyway and we haven't lost with him in the side this season and when we haven't played well it can hardly be put down to Gibson but he's an easy target for some fans as were Berba, Neville, Flectcher, O'Shea and even Giggs at various points over the past few years. For my money he's one of the best 5th choice midfielders in the league who doesn't get praised even when he plays well or produces something.

My view is that this club just has some very spoilt fans who are never going to be happy(not just with Gibson); I've seen them at games, I've heard them on the radio and I've read their views on the internet. When Gibson pulls on a United shirt I support him and wish him all the best but it seems like some would rather he failed and don't bother getting behind him because they just want a good moan.

In fairness, we were fairly poor for the whole game, and Anderson was the one taken off, then the change to 4-4-2 made us worse somehow.

Disagree mate, when Anderson was playing, he was holding the ball up and releasing it very well, made our game fluid and we really got going in the first half with Anderson playing a huge part.

Watch him hold the defender with his back and passing the ball forward, it was a huge benefit to our side.... Unlike when we brought Rooney on, he fecked up almost everytime and didn't get our game going at all...

Our first half wasn't bad, but taking Ando's off made it worse off and we were terrible.

I don't understand all the criticism he gets, if anything he dug us out of a bit of a hole on Saturday and could and probably should have had about 4 assists in the first half. He hardly plays enough to get blamed for much at all anyway and we haven't lost with him in the side this season and when we haven't played well it can hardly be put down to Gibson but he's an easy target for some fans as were Berba, Neville, Flectcher, O'Shea and even Giggs at various points over the past few years. For my money he's one of the best 5th choice midfielders in the league who doesn't get praised even when he plays well or produces something.

My view is that this club just has some very spoilt fans who are never going to be happy(not just with Gibson); I've seen them at games, I've heard them on the radio and I've read their views on the internet. When Gibson pulls on a United shirt I support him and wish him all the best but it seems like some would rather he failed and don't bother getting behind him because they just want a good moan.

Spot on, we are spoilt.

It began since we started signing the likes of Ronaldo etc...

Looking back, we signed Liam Miller, Kleberson, Djembax2, Bellion etc.... which were worse off.

Rio posting Evra and Cashley are two best left-backs in the world. And then it goes...

Someone: Marcelo is better than both and more of an attacking threat.
Rio: Slap yourself with a wet salmon!!

He he.

For my money he's one of the best 5th choice midfielders in the league who doesn't get praised even when he plays well or produces something.

I hadn't thought of it like that.

The contenders, where depth goes, look to be:

Arsenal: Fabregas, Nasri, Song, Wilshere... Diaby, Denilson
Chelsea: Essien, Lampard, Mikel, Ramires... McEachran
Liverpool: Gerrard, Meireles, Lucas, Poulsen... Spearing
Man City: Yaya, Silva, Barry, De Jong... Vieira
Spurs: VdV, Modric, Huddlestone, Palacios... Jenas, Sandro

Which, looking at those last names, puts Gibson in a strong position. Who would you swap him for?

But I still don't rate him particularly highly and would prefer Giggs playing inside.

I hadn't thought of it like that.

The contenders, where depth goes, look to be:

Arsenal: Fabregas, Nasri, Song, Wilshere... Diaby, Denilson
Chelsea: Essien, Lampard, Mikel, Ramires... McEachran
Liverpool: Gerrard, Meireles, Lucas, Poulsen... Spearing
Man City: Yaya, Silva, Barry, De Jong... Vieira
Spurs: VdV, Modric, Huddlestone, Palacios... Jenas, Sandro

Which, looking at those last names, puts Gibson in a strong position. Who would you swap him for?

But I still don't rate him particularly highly and would prefer Giggs playing inside.

i would swap him for diaby, but they aren't similar players at all. then again, i really don't bash gibbo. until he gets the same opportunities the shit version of fletcher once got, i'm not going to hammer the lad.

i would swap him for diaby, but they aren't similar players at all. then again, i really don't bash gibbo. until he gets the same opportunities the shit version of fletcher once got, i'm not going to hammer the lad.

Diaby is also a player than many Arsenal fans wonder what his use is, though. Gibson can at least give it the full gun, as Big Ron might say.

Disagree mate, when Anderson was playing, he was holding the ball up and releasing it very well, made our game fluid and we really got going in the first half with Anderson playing a huge part.

Watch him hold the defender with his back and passing the ball forward, it was a huge benefit to our side.... Unlike when we brought Rooney on, he fecked up almost everytime and didn't get our game going at all...

Our first half wasn't bad, but taking Ando's off made it worse off and we were terrible.

We'll have to agree to disagree, our first half was bad. I think Anderson gave very little, which conmtributed as much as anything to him being sacrificed, (unless we are traking off our best performers now?) and I think we got worse because due to the change in shape as much as losing Anderson.

We'll have to agree to disagree, our first half was bad. I think Anderson gave very little, which conmtributed as much as anything to him being sacrificed, (unless we are traking off our best performers now?) and I think we got worse because due to the change in shape as much as losing Anderson.

Anderson was carrying an injury practically throughout the half. Thought that was obvious.

Hence the substitution.

Anderson was carrying an injury practically throughout the half. Thought that was obvious.

Hence the substitution.

Not really at the time to be honest no, I thought he had the same malaise as everyone else,. But so what? It doesn't take away form my point that he wasn't on top of his game.

Arsenal have 9 central midfielders?

Eight in their first team squad who do/can play in the centre: Nasri, Fabregas, Rosicky, Diaby, Song, Wilshere, Denilson, Ramsey. Gibson would be the 9th.

Not really at the time to be honest no, I thought he had the same malaise as everyone else,. But so what? It doesn't take away form my point that he wasn't on top of his game.

He got a knock early on. Had to go off to the side for treatment. Hobbled the rest of the half. This was clear.

At the time, I wondered why he wasn't brought off immediately.

Also, I fail to see how playing with a niggly injury can bring out the best in a player. Doesn't compute.

Chances are we'll see Gibbo quite a bit in the next few weeks. I actually don't mind as long as it's in a 433/451. He can be quite effective playing as the furthest forward of a midfield trio.

Gibson's main problem is that he doesn't suit the 442 which brings out the best in our other players like Rooney. He's best in a 451 or 433 where he has 2 other midfielders doing the running for him and he can get into position to take a shot or pass. He's good enough to be a squad player, but it is unlikely he'll become first choice as it is unlikely we will forgo the 442.

Look at Lampard. A superior player, but very similar in style. Both have a good shot on them, can make a good pass when they see it. Only difference is that Lampard was lucky enough to find himself in a team which was willing to build the team around his game. It's also why Lampard suffers everytime he plays for Engalnd.

Lampard is miles better than Gibson ever can dream of being. Lampard scored 27 goals and 20 assists last year, even if Gibson played every game he wouldn't come close to those numbers. Gibson is just such a peripheral figure on the pitch when he doesnt have the ball and nice shot aside isn't really that good when does have the ball. I don't think he will make it at Unïtéd, but he could make it a lower tier club in the league. Č

Lampard is miles better than Gibson ever can dream of being. Lampard scored 27 goals and 20 assists last year, even if Gibson played every game he wouldn't come close to those numbers. Gibson is just such a peripheral figure on the pitch when he doesnt have the ball and nice shot aside isn't really that good when does have the ball. I don't think he will make it at Unïtéd, but he could make it a lower tier club in the league. Č

Ok your comparing the best goal scoring midfielder in the country to Gibson. Is that really fair?

Considering Lampard is vastly more experienced, is and has been a 1st team player for roughly 10 years.