Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

He's basically that guy you see in the Pub Leagues who takes a ton of wonder shot attempts and think to yourself "why isn't he earning money from this game?" when he does score the occasional one.....but then you're like "oh yeah, that's why".

How can people think he put in a good shift yesterday, he had a couple of good passes in the first half and set up the goal, other than that he literally did nothing the rest of the game, and let a non league side control the midfield, he was fecking awful. There is no doubt that those passes were nice, but come on that is not enough impact to merit a good display.

How the hell was it Gibson that let a non league side control the midfield, he was our best CM on the pitch yesterday, even his harshest of critics have to admit that, a few of them did in our MOTM thread.

How the hell was it Gibson that let a non league side control the midfield, he was our best CM on the pitch yesterday, even his harshest of critics have to admit that, a few of them did in our MOTM thread.

The fact that we were completely outplayed in midfield and people had Gibson in their top 3 shows how inept we were to be fair.

The fact that we were completely outplayed in midfield and people had Gibson in their top 3 shows how inept we were to be fair.

The only department that played well yesterday was the defense, after that Gibson for me stood head & shoulders above the rest of our players in terms of overall performance, he wouldn't be the lad i'd blame for the opposition controlling the midfield, i'd give that honer to Anderson.

The only department that played well yesterday was the defense, after that Gibson for me stood head & shoulders above the rest of our players in terms of overall performance, he wouldn't be the lad i'd blame for the opposition controlling the midfield, i'd give that honer to Anderson.

I can't agree with the Anderson bit. Anderson was subbed at half time and it was the second half when Crawley dominated the midfield. In the first half, Anderson being there created that space for Gibson which allowed him to play his two passes. And he is realistically only being picked in the man of the match thread because he his two glorious passes. His overall performance was kind of shit. All the defenders were better in my opinion. Our midfield was better with Anderson in it.

I can't agree with the Anderson bit. Anderson was subbed at half time and it was the second half when Crawley dominated the midfield. In the first half, Anderson being there created that space for Gibson which allowed him to play his two passes. And he is realistically only being picked in the man of the match thread because he his two glorious passes. His overall performance was kind of shit. All the defenders were better in my opinion. Our midfield was better with Anderson in it.

When Anderson came off, Gibson had to pull back a bit which might have explained Gibson's 2nd half performance in comparison to his 1st. According to you if we were only dominated in the 2nd half, it was the decision by Fergie to withdraw Anderson that was the reason we were dominated in the 2nd half. To me Anderson had a fierce poor 1st half & thats why he was taken off.

When Anderson came off, Gibson had to pull back a bit which might have explained Gibson's 2nd half performance in comparison to his 1st. According to you if we were only dominated in the 2nd half, it was the decision by Fergie to withdraw Anderson that was the reason we were dominated in the 2nd half. To me Anderson had a fierce poor 1st half & thats why he was taken off.

No he got injured early and played on throughout it. He was always going to be taken off. Surprised Fergie made him play the full 45mins.

No he got injured early and played on throughout it. He was always going to be taken off. Surprised Fergie made him play the full 45mins.

Jeez you sure thats the truth, surprised myself Fergie would take such a gamble playing a player that was injured, especially with the upcoming fixture list, that don't make sense at all.

Jeez you sure thats the truth, surprised myself Fergie would take such a gamble playing a player that was injured, especially with the upcoming fixture list, that don't make sense at all.

I wanted him to come off straight away. He was running with a little limp and he right leg got heavly tapped up... We have got alot of fixtures and he will be crucial. However haven't heard anything so sure he's fine.

What do you suggest we do gimpfeatures, not comment at all unless we think he played well?

no, but it does seem like the lad can't win. If he does something good, its written off for a number of reasons, if he does bad then you're all quick to bump this thread. It's O'Shea and Fletcher all over again. Its pretty pathetic

yes, i agree but Gibson is one man in a 4 man midfield (2nd half) and 1 man in a 5 man midfield (1st half), but apparently its all Gibsons fault

Gibson is getting more games than some would like because Hargreaves is injured. He's useful to have and will play a part in the run in. In a (very) ideal world, Hargreaves would be fit and Gibson would not be needed.

I liked Gibson against Crawley. Looks to me that he doesn't function in a two man midfield very well though. But credit where it's due. Have been far from his biggest fan this season but he was one of few who did something yesterday.

Although the way him and Carrick got bossed in the second was a bit shocking, he did play a couple of cracking through balls in that game, not to mention the cross for the goal.

Anyone who thinks Gibson will eventually make it at United is deluded. The sooner he fecks off the better for both him and United. He's not United quality and what quality he does have is being held back by being played in the reserves. He should be playing for a team in the bottom half of the table.

I expect a load of abuse from people telling me that he deserves a chance. But in his last two games he has been in midfields that have failed to impose themselves on Southamption and Crawley. I don't give a feck if Carrick or Anderson were in the team and weren't performing. If he seriously wants to develop into a first team player for Manchester United that is the time he needs to step up and prove he can do it, he should be grabbing games against seriously inferior opposition by the scruff of the neck and he can't fecking do it. He is an international footballer and he can't step it up to dominate a non-league midfield. His time's up.

Anyone who thinks Gibson will eventually make it at United is deluded. The sooner he fecks off the better for both him and United. He's not United quality and what quality he does have is being held back by being played in the reserves. He should be playing for a team in the bottom half of the table.

I expect a load of abuse from people telling me that he deserves a chance. But in his last two games he has been in midfields that have failed to impose themselves on Southamption and Crawley. I don't give a feck if Carrick or Anderson were in the team and weren't performing. If he seriously wants to develop into a first team player for Manchester United that is the time he needs to step up and prove he can do it, he should be grabbing games against seriously inferior opposition by the scruff of the neck and he can't fecking do it. He is an international footballer and he can't step it up to dominate a non-league midfield. His time's up.

Did you watch the game? Or did you watch it with your Gibson hating specs on.

He was our most creative midfielder.

I wanted him to come off straight away. He was running with a little limp and he right leg got heavly tapped up... We have got alot of fixtures and he will be crucial. However haven't heard anything so sure he's fine.

"It's a big problem, having to take your two full-backs off, when they were terrific," said Sir Alex.

"They're such good footballers. And Anderson had a bit of a problem with his hamstring so we had to take these players off.

Manchester United Official Web Site - Boss: Crawley deserved a draw
Fergie says it's his hamstring.

I would have imagined that the reason Anderson was subbed was because he is going to start against Marseille so he was given a rest.

If I was going to sub one of the midfielders in the first half, Carrick would have got the curly finger.

Gibson is pitiful off the ball. I am not sure if it is laziness or if he is really just oblivious. He does no work defensively and he does not make himself an option for his teammates.

Gibson is pitiful off the ball. I am not sure if it is laziness or if he is really just oblivious. He does no work defensively and he does not make himself an option for his teammates.

Yeah its wierd. Was watching the game with my Dad and commenting on how Bebe, Obertan and Gibbo were doing no work whatsoever, just couldn't understand it! Was the reason I'm sure why Rooney and Hernandez were switched to the wings.

That wouldn't stop him fitting well into Barca though, would it?

Or maybe it would. But he's still good enough for us, apparently.

Did you watch the game? Or did you watch it with your Gibson hating specs on.

He was our most creative midfielder.

It's nothing to do with Gibson hating specs. I have posted in this thread before. I come from an Irish background and nothing would give me more pleasure than a young Irish lad coming through and cementing his place as a United regular. That said, I was raised in Manchester and love United so I only want decent players wearing the shirt. You are bigging him up because he was our most creative midfielder agaist Crawley, fecking Crawley, and he still couldn't boss the midfield. He's not fecking good enough. He's fecking 23 years old, how much time does he need to fulfil his potential?

It's nothing to do with Gibson hating specs. I have posted in this thread before. I come from an Irish background and nothing would give me more pleasure than a young Irish lad coming through and cementing his place as a United regular. That said, I was raised in Manchester and love United so I only want decent players wearing the shirt. You are bigging him up because he was our most creative midfielder agaist Crawley, fecking Crawley, and he still couldn't boss the midfield. He's not fecking good enough. He's fecking 23 years old, how much time does he need to fulfil his potential?

Wasn't arguing he was good enough. Was arguing that you said he was shit vs Crawley and yes it was against a crap team, but he out performed the senior midfielders in the squad.

The thing is Gibson has the tools to be a good squad player (not saying anything more than that). I think a loan where he played a full season of first team football would do him the world of good and hopefully improve his weak area's.

He doesn't want the ball a lot of the time, it would seem.

Gibson, as of yet, doesn't seem to have the mentality for United.

His cross for Wes' winner and his lovely weighted and curved through ball for Hernandez should at elast put an end to the "All he has is a big shot" stuff.

We all know or knew Gibson's weaknesses before the match, but more worrying for me was that Carrick (a player of Carrick's seniority and perceived "pedigree") allowed the game to pass him by aswell.

After all these years when it has been required for Carrick to step up, he still hasn't and I doubt he will ever have the balls/mentality to step up. Shame really because he is a talented footballer.

I'd have expected Carrick to marshall the troops in midfield. If that was Keane or any other leader, the players would have heard it from him - on the pitch. Youngsters need guidance but I'm afraid we have too many "passengers" in midfield, who are comfortable just doing their fair share and nothing more. A club of out stature, you need leaders in midfield, fighters. Not passengers.

We all know or knew Gibson's weaknesses before the match, but more worrying for me was that Carrick (a player of Carrick's seniority and perceived "pedigree") allowed the game to pass him by aswell.

After all these years when it has been required for Carrick to step up, he still hasn't and I doubt he will ever have the balls/mentality to step up. Shame really because he is a talented footballer.
I'd have expected Carrick to marshall the troops in midfield. If that was Keane or any other leader, the players would have heard it from him - on the pitch. Youngsters need guidance but I'm afraid we have too many "passengers" in midfield, who are comfortable just doing their fair share and nothing more. A club of out stature, you need leaders in midfield, fighters. Not passengers.

What a load of cack!

A player who was at the heart of our 3 in row PL and UCl winner all of a sudden is a player who hasn't the mentality....strewth?

The caf is going into a meltdown over a poor performance against Crawley, suddenly all our senoir players are shit:confused:

His cross for Wes' winner and his lovely weighted and curved through ball for Hernandez should at elast put an end to the "All he has is a big shot" stuff.

I give him credit for that, but two great passes in more than half a season is not really evidence. In that case, vidic has a superb blistering shot on him.

Gibbo had some good moments against Crawley but, even if he did better than the rest of the senior players, that doesn't still make his performance on the day as proof of good enough. If anything this should be the type of game he is up for and is working his socks off to make an impact.

Brilliant passes for Chicha and Rafael and wonderful cross for the goal but, the work rate for what it means to be a United CM isn't there.

Who knows - maybe this off-season he'll pull a Fletcher and hit the gym and change his approach to games to fix that part - then maybe the other qualities he has will have a good platform for him to stick around on. Otherwise think it is time to move on and see if another up and coming CM can take the role of being a fringe player that when given a chance really step up.

Thats a load of bullshit, for his first 2-3 seasons Carrick did great for us. It was post the Barca CL final (and probably for a bit before) that his form dropped, but to say he's never stepped up for us isn't accurate, he played a massive part in our double winning season.

IMO Gibson is a good player, he's just the sort of player that needs to be in the team on a regular basis to maintain his form, and I have my doubts thats going to happen for him at Utd.

I suspect if he were to go to another team where he's playing week in week out he'll show himself to be a very capable player.

Thats a load of bullshit, for his first 2-3 seasons Carrick did great for us. It was post the Barca CL final (and probably for a bit before) that his form dropped, but to say he's never stepped up for us isn't accurate, he played a massive part in our double winning season.

He's also been excellent for us this very season. One of our most consistent performers in the run that took us to the top of the table.

Yeah, I think he's almost been back to his old self at times this season.

you make it sound like he alone was solely responsible for how the rest of the team played