Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

hseky.jpg

Sideways West coast symbol? Phones 4 U Advert sign?

He's also been excellent for us this very season. One of our most consistent performers in the run that took us to the top of the table.

His form improved from what it was but it was nowhere near excellent. When he was in his good run of form this season, it was still absolutely nowhere near his best. The Carrick from 3-4 years ago was excellent. This one is not at that kind of standard for whatever reason.

What a load of cack!

A player who was at the heart of our 3 in row PL and UCl winner all of a sudden is a player who hasn't the mentality....strewth?

The caf is going into a meltdown over a poor performance against Crawley, suddenly all our senoir players are shit:confused:

Read my post properly before you yourself go on a meltdown, Pablo. I'm one of the biggest Carrick fans on these boards but when I meant step up, I never referred to his 2-3 excellent years. It is 1 thing being a bit of a passenger, with the likes of a senior and mostly excellent Scholes doing most of the damaging work in midfield, but when Scholes started getting rested/older and the team turned to Carrick to become the next midfield supremo, IMO (and MY opinion is all it is), he HASN'T and IMO, WILL not make that next step up, even though (once again) IMO - he has all the tools in his locker to run a midfield, he lacks the kahunas.

And my post was in relation to posters criticising Gibson, I simply cited that with someone with Carricks pedigree, I am way more disappointed at his performance, than Gibsons.

If you don't know what someone is referring to, its best to keep quiet, other then trying to sound cool.

Thats a load of bullshit, for his first 2-3 seasons Carrick did great for us. It was post the Barca CL final (and probably for a bit before) that his form dropped, but to say he's never stepped up for us isn't accurate, he played a massive part in our double winning season.

Yep, see above Popper.

He's also been excellent for us this very season. One of our most consistent performers in the run that took us to the top of the table.

No doubt his had his fair share of performances and just when it looked like he was hitting a bit of form, he was rotated quite a fair bit again, but I really will stand by my assertion of Carrick.

Love the player, especially in his first 2-3 years, but I am a bit disappointed and frustrated in him. Could have and SHOULD have been a "bigger" player or better midfielder then Lampard and maybe even Gerrard, but sadly its gone a bit downhill for him. Surely EVERYONE must agree with that?

End of discussion though, this is a Gibson thread and my point was simply to defend Gibson a bit as the more senior players needed to take responsibility aswell.

you make it sound like he alone was solely responsible for how the rest of the team played

No mate. I was pointing out that, if he seriously wants to make it at United and regardless of who else was under performing in the match, these are the type of games in which Gibson should be imposing himself, grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and dominating. If Carrick or Anderson aren't performing very well it gives him the chance to shine. But he just doesn't seem able to step up when he needs to, one good cross and a couple of decent through balls against a non-league opponent aren't really good enough. He doesn't get that many chances, but if he is going to let Sergio Torres (and I've just had to look his fecking name up) run the show then it's time to move on. An international footballer at 23 he should be an established first teamer for a club

His form improved from what it was but it was nowhere near excellent. When he was in his good run of form this season, it was still absolutely nowhere near his best. The Carrick from 3-4 years ago was excellent. This one is not at that kind of standard for whatever reason.

I disagree. His form during November through January was as good as anything we've seen from him in a United shirt. The only difference being he wasn't playing alongside a 3-4 year younger version of Paul Scholes. Which is not something that should be held against Carrick.

Carricks a good player. Personally I don't think he's capable of excellent on a consistent basis. That's for players who are actually excellent, like nani, vidic etc. Then again those words mean different things to different people.

He's a good mdfielder who although has picked up form of late (barring the last game) but is still not at his best in terms of consistency and overall play. imo of course.

Read my post properly before you yourself go on a meltdown, Pablo. I'm one of the biggest Carrick fans on these boards but when I meant step up, I never referred to his 2-3 excellent years. It is 1 thing being a bit of a passenger, with the likes of a senior and mostly excellent Scholes doing most of the damaging work in midfield, but when Scholes started getting rested/older and the team turned to Carrick to become the next midfield supremo, IMO (and MY opinion is all it is), he HASN'T and IMO, WILL not make that next step up, even though (once again) IMO - he has all the tools in his locker to run a midfield, he lacks the kahunas.
And my post was in relation to posters criticising Gibson, I simply cited that with someone with Carricks pedigree, I am way more disappointed at his performance, than Gibsons.

If you don't know what someone is referring to, its best to keep quiet, other then trying to sound cool.

Yep, see above Popper.

You're entitled to your opinion but as Eyepopper said...it's bullshit I was just being poilte, and you're still spouting it.Read your own post and you'll see how specious it is.

He had some very good matches for us.
But he was nowhere near excellent, especially not consistently.
He had a very bad start to the season and can't get into consistent form.

Carrick's veered between really good and really poor this season. He's been nowhere near excellent. The reasons for that are probably anything from poor performances around him to a personal lack of confidence. But the fact remains, I couldn't praise the overall performances of someone who's been as poor as often as he has over the course of six or so months.

Carrick for me is a decent squad player. He will never set the world alight and will never have you out of your chair applauding on an even semi regular basis. I don't think he'll ever be one of the first names on our teamsheet, which is disappointing considering I think a lot of people saw him as a long term replacement to Scholes (when we didn't think Scholes would last as long as he has).

I think the only reason people give him a hard time in comparison to the likes of Brown is because you see flashes of an all round great player (ie he can tackle, has good positional sense, a good range of passing/good vision, a decent shot etc).

Conversely Gibson is given a hard time because he's usually been shit and people havn't seen enough to his game that suggests he could be a Utd player.

You're entitled to your opinion but as Eyepopper said...it's bullshit I was just being poilte, and you're still spouting it.Read your own post and you'll see how specious it is.

You might be really misunderstanding the point I am making or we can just agree to disagree but i will stick to my opinion where I truly believe that Carrick, had he a bit more "fight" in his game, he could (and really should have) have become a GREAT midfielder. (up there with the Pirlo's etc).

I'm really struggling to see how you can discount my point as bullshit, but that's what debate and differing opinions are all about I guess. FWIW, like I said - twice now, I am one of Carrick's great admirers/fans & I'm not in the business of "slating" our own as you tried to portay me as a "knee-jerk".

Carrick for me is a decent squad player. He will never set the world alight and will never have you out of your chair applauding on an even semi regular basis. I don't think he'll ever be one of the first names on our teamsheet, which is disappointing considering I think a lot of people saw him as a long term replacement to Scholes (when we didn't think Scholes would last as long as he has).

I think the only reason people give him a hard time in comparison to the likes of Brown is because you see flashes of an all round great player (ie he can tackle, has good positional sense, a good range of passing/good vision, a decent shot etc).

Conversely Gibson is given a hard time because he's usually been shit and people havn't seen enough to his game that suggests he could be a Utd player.

Carrick was far more than a decent squad player in his first 3 seasons with us. He is a top, top midfielder on his day, which is a bit erratic of late unfortunately.

Carrick will always be underated because he has little charisma, aggression and is not really a goal threat. He is one my favourite players because I think he is a great defensive midfielder and a great professional.

I give him credit for that, but two great passes in more than half a season is not really evidence. In that case, vidic has a superb blistering shot on him.

I just think it showed that there are at least more aspects of potential in his game than shooting, I'm not saying that I think he'll make it at United.

Carrick will always be underated because he has little charisma, aggression and is not really a goal threat. He is one my favourite players because I think he is a great defensive midfielder and a great professional.

I reckon people would start to sit up and take notice if his name was Bruce Power or Julian Pennyweather. What's in a name, eh Scholesy?

It really makes you think...

What would the question be?

My vote goes to 'Darron Gibson - Yes or No?'

I don't think Carrick's been at his best at any point this season.

Some parts of his game have been excellent at times...such as his screening of the back four and generally excellent positional sense. None of our other midfielders have this which is why he's important even when he isn't on song.

He seems to have become completely pedestrian with the ball though. Most of his passing used to be sharp and in to one of the front players. Nowadays it's painfully slow and more often sideways or backwards. You ca't really put it down to a lack of movement up top as nearly all of our attacking players are excellent at finding or running into space.

Also, he's developed this habit of backing off ridiculously from the opposition. He backs further up the pitch than our fecking centrebacks at times.

I disagree. His form during November through January was as good as anything we've seen from him in a United shirt. The only difference being he wasn't playing alongside a 3-4 year younger version of Paul Scholes. Which is not something that should be held against Carrick.

Can't agree with you. Sorry.

They seem to be very good friends, going together to Usher concerts, taking pictures with him at backstage. <mr.chelsea> Hopefully not shagging the same girl. </mr.chelsea>

No mate. I was pointing out that, if he seriously wants to make it at United and regardless of who else was under performing in the match, these are the type of games in which Gibson should be imposing himself, grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and dominating. If Carrick or Anderson aren't performing very well it gives him the chance to shine. But he just doesn't seem able to step up when he needs to, one good cross and a couple of decent through balls against a non-league opponent aren't really good enough. He doesn't get that many chances, but if he is going to let Sergio Torres (and I've just had to look his fecking name up) run the show then it's time to move on. An international footballer at 23 he should be an established first teamer for a club

do you apply the same logic to Carrick and Anderson?

Comparing Anderson of Brazil to Gibson of Ireland, seriously?

If an England manager had the bollocks to drop either Gerrard or Lampard at any point in the last decade and played Carrick instead, we might have had a better fist of summer tournaments

I personally don't think Gibson is up to it

He is old enough now to have at least looked the part on a consistent basis.

He has had the odd decent game, and then the Bayern match where he played really well, but he just doesn't do enough.

Comparing Anderson of Brazil to Gibson of Ireland, seriously?

If an England manager had the bollocks to drop either Gerrard or Lampard at any point in the last decade and played Carrick instead, we might have had a better fist of summer tournaments

Thats not my point, and you know it Brad

edit: just changed the bold bit to make it clearer what my point is

Your point was pretty crap GB. Granted it was in response to an even crapper point

Not really, of the midfield 3 the most junior player was arguably the best, yet on here he gets slammed. Relative to what we need from the players Gibson was the least disappointing last sat.

( I agree with the Carrick for England thing btw)