Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

It's not simple. He NEEDS a run of games. Some nice passes but I think you need a certain midfield around him and i'm not sure we have the right balance yet. If he keeps it simple, he's ok...if he tries to run forget about it. He's not good and people it was non league opponants...better first half performance then second. Don't really see it

He was listed by 23 of the fist 33 in the MOTM thread.

https://www.redcafe.net/f6/motm-v-crawley-no-comments-321664/

Which is fair enough seeing as he was the architect behind our 3 only positive moments in the match.
I excluded him though because I thought he was quite poor in pretty much everything else he did during the match.
He just didn't seem to care about defending in the second half, which was rather frustrating to watch.

I won't put too much into this match from Carrick and Gibson though, as they didn't have many options what with Bebe and Obertan being completely useless today.

Great first half with a couple of excellent passes and some good crossing. Anonymous second half. Overall, still our best player on the day.

Carrick's a big problem because he's the only one of our midfielders who isn't incredibly suspect positionally (Scholes is fine, but doesn't have the legs anymore), but he's become so pedestrian we might as well just stick another defender in there instead of him.

If Gibson's job is to come in and fill the gap left by other players though, he still has to be good enough to do that. It's no good playing in a 4-4-2 and then not even contesting the midfield for 80 minutes of every game he plays. It's clearly not an ability problem either. He just blatantly isn't cut out to play in that kind of role, regardless of the opposition.

This thread is about whether Darron Gibson is good enough after all. Not why Carrick has turned into a cowardly John O'Shea, or why Rooney has turned into a joke.

Frankly if anyone thought any part of our midfield was good enough today they must be living in cuckoo land.

True, and most people think he was good today, as per ratings and MOTM thread. With no previous experience of watching that team you'd think he was our best player but somehow is very unfit because he was shadow in the second half. My only point is that to single him out after today's game means the bloke is getting undue grief, from his own supporters.

Which is fair enough seeing as he was the architect behind our 3 only positive moments in the match.
I excluded him though because I thought he was quite poor in pretty much everything else he did during the match.
He just didn't seem to care about defending in the second half, which was rather frustrating to watch.

I won't put too much into this match from Carrick and Gibson though, as they didn't have many options what with Bebe and Obertan being completely useless today.

And thankfully most agree, even the newbs didn't bump their Gibbo bashing thread today.

He showed flashes of talent in the first half, but in the second half, I'd call him shit but that's too complimentary, the rest of the midfield was dreadful as well.

True, and most people think he was good today, as per ratings and MOTM thread. With no previous experience of watching that team you'd think he was our best player but somehow is very unfit because he was shadow in the second half. My only point is that to single him out after today's game means the bloke is getting undue grief, from his own supporters.

I'm singling him out because he's supposed to be a fecking midfielder and he spent a vast majority of the game simply not doing his job on any basic level at all, and someone else had already bumped the thread.

If people want to praise him for today's performance that's fine, but if that's what constitutes a good performance, then he's never had a bad game in his life.

As for the MOTM thread. I'm refusing to take that seriously as about half the people in there don't even have Wes as their MOTM.

Flashes of brilliance along with a pretty poor midfield display. He was better than most, but still nowhere near where he needs to be.

I'm singling him out because he's supposed to be a fecking midfielder and he spent a vast majority of the game simply not doing his job on any basic level at all, and someone else had already bumped the thread.

If people want to praise him for today's performance that's fine, but if that's what constitutes a good performance, then he's never had a bad game in his life.

As for the MOTM thread. I'm refusing to take that seriously as about half the people in there don't even have Wes as their MOTM.

That's just not true. He was our best player in the first half. He supplied the cross for the only goal of the game and made the 2 or 3 best passes of the game. I still think (and results prove) the lad can do a job 10 or so games a year, which is his job description. And I still think singling a reserve who played as well as anyone is unduly harsh.

he looked a world beater with acres of space in the first half and woefully out of his depth when things got tighter after Anderson was substituted.

Flashes of brilliance along with a pretty poor midfield display. He was better than most, but still nowhere near where he needs to be.

Not arguing but that is an interesting point. What level of player would people like to play 10 games against weak opposition. Because that's the blokes gig at the moment, and it's a role we'll always need filled. The restraints of FFP and squad sizes mean we can't have 3 first teams anymore.

he looked a world beater with acres of space in the first half and woefully out of his depth when things got tighter after Anderson was substituted.

Exactly. He needs a huge amount of space to do anything. He usually won't get it and as a result usually looks like he can't cut it at a decent level. Once Crawley tightened it up in the second half, he didn't get a kick. In the first half, he was given plenty of time of space and he managed to play two super passes.

Not arguing but that is an interesting point. What level of player would people like to play 10 games against weak opposition. Because that's the blokes gig at the moment, and it's a role we'll always need filled. The restraints of FFP and squad sizes mean we can't have 3 first teams anymore.

I meant the level he needs to be to be a good player for us. As it is he's a mile off, IMO, despite the few goals last season.

That role can generally be filled until the player either stops developing or a younger player comes through who can do the job cheaper and allow the club to sell on the squad player.And it should always be a role filled by a player who can either hold his own when it matters or who will be able to, given time. He doesn't fit either description, IMO. I can see him going in the summer if we invest in a midfielder or two and bring Cleverly back.

Flashes of brilliance along with a pretty poor midfield display.

To be honest with you, I'm starting to think that could describe all our senior central midfielders with the exception of Scholes. Not quite convinced either way with Gibson, he does take too long on the ball but Carrick is the same way and he plays consistently.

That's just not true. He was our best player in the first half. He supplied the cross for the only goal of the game and made the 2 or 3 best passes of the game. I still think (and results prove) the lad can do a job 10 or so games a year, which is his job description. And I still think singling a reserve who played as well as anyone is unduly harsh.

I don't think he was our best player in the first half. Brown was our best player throughout. both the fullbacks were better than him in the first half. He woke up for about ten, maybe fifteen minutes around the time of the goal, but even before half time he'd turned pedestrian again, and for the first twenty minutes or so he was the same.

The rest of our midfield was as bad but I don't think I need to compare him to every other player on the pitch before passing judgement...he's been playing for us for nearly three years now.

I also don't think it matters if he only plays when other players don't. If you're going to play for Manchester United, you need to be good enough to play for Manchester United. Otherwise we may as well just have kept Liam Miller and Kieran Richardson.

What do you suggest we do gimpfeatures, not comment at all unless we think he played well?

I meant the level he needs to be to be a good player for us. As it is he's a mile off, IMO, despite the few goals last season.
That role can generally be filled until the player either stops developing or a younger player comes through who can do the job cheaper and allow the club to sell on the squad player.And it should always be a role filled by a player who can either hold his own when it mattersor who will be able to, given time. He doesn't fit either description, IMO. I can see him going in the summer if we invest in a midfielder or two and bring Cleverly back.

I think a player who can hold his own when it matters (I'm presuming you think Gibson doesn't - depite playing in nearly all victories) would be unhappy at playing in only the 12 weakest matches of the season. But if that is true and that player is Cleverly and not Gibson long term, then he nees to be here while Cleverly, who's not as bulky, get the epxerience to fill that role. So Gibson's job is reduced to filling that role for a year until Tom is ready. Even at that he's doing a job for the club and helping with the perpetual development of the squad. Call me old fashioned but why give the lad so much grief for that? (Not you btw)

I don't think he was our best player in the first half. Brown was our best player throughout. both the fullbacks were better than him in the first half. He woke up for about ten, maybe fifteen minutes around the time of the goal, but even before half time he'd turned pedestrian again, and for the first twenty minutes or so he was the same.

The rest of our midfield was as bad but I don't think I need to compare him to every other player on the pitch before passing judgement...he's been playing for us for nearly three years now.

I also don't think it matters if he only plays when other players don't. If you're going to play for Manchester United, you need to be good enough to play for Manchester United. Otherwise we may as well just have kept Liam Miller and Kieran Richardson.

What do you suggest we do gimpfeatures, not comment at all unless we think he played well?

He is though, that's my point. He's good enough to play in victories over Southamton and Crawley in the cup, which is handy as we played them both, and won. And I accept Wes was MOTM, but you do need someone to play creatively and Gibson did that today better than anyone IMO.

It would be lovely to have a superstar who would take Gibson's wages and just play against shit 10 times a year, but it's not realistic. We even had to let super Phil Neville go and get regular games.

He is though, that's my point. He's good enough to play in victories over Southamton and Crawley in the cup, which is handy as we played them both, and won. And I accept Wes was MOTM, but you do need someone to play creatively and Gibson did that today better than anyone IMO.

It would be lovely to have a superstar who would take Gibson's wages and just play against shit 10 times a year, but it's not realistic. We even had to let super Phil Neville go and get regular games.

Ahh, well I disagree then. Or at least, I don't think he's good enough to play in the role he found himnself in after Anderson went off. We may have won the game but not by anything we did after half time, and in fact we didn't really deserve to win it at all (same goes for Southampton where our extra quality up front bailed us out).

We've had a habit of winning or getting results out of games in spite of our midfield this season, not because of it, and I didn't think today was any different. Gibson's not the only one with a big question mark hanging over his head in that regard.

I'm just not going to pretend to myself that he played well or was "good enough" today, when I've just watched him and Carrick spend over half the game getting played off the park by Crawley. As I said, I reckon we have our defenders (rather than anyone else) to thank for avoiding an incredibly embarassing result. It's no good playing well for 10-15 minutes of a 90 minute game.

I don't think that's giving him unfair stick as such. I'm not telling him to feck off or anything. Just commenting on what I thought wss an all round poor attempt at midfielding.

and yes I recognise that our two wide players were terrible, and Carrick/Rooney no better, but all of those are getting plenty of stick in their own little dedicated threads. Rooney's the main sticking point for me as he's the one who seems to be imune from the consequences of his own crapness. but again, that's a different issue and one I argued with Pogue over to the point of boring everyone to death only a couple of weeks ago.

I agree 100% with this man.

Ahh, well I disagree then. Or at least, I don't think he's good enough to play in the role he found himnself in after Anderson went off. We may have won the game but not by anything we did after half time, and in fact we didn't really deserve to win it at all (same goes for Southampton where our extra quality up front bailed us out).

We've had a habit of winning or getting results out of games in spite of our midfield this season, not because of it, and I didn't think today was any different. Gibson's not the only one with a big question mark hanging over his head in that regard.

I'm just not going to pretend to myself that he played well or was "good enough" today, when I've just watched him and Carrick spend over half the game getting played off the park by Crawley. As I said, I reckon we have our defenders (rather than anyone else) to thank for avoiding an incredibly embarassing result. It's no good playing well for 10-15 minutes of a 90 minute game.

I don't think that's giving him unfair stick as such. I'm not telling him to feck off or anything. Just commenting on what I thought wss an all round poor attempt at midfielding.

and yes I recognise that our two wide players were terrible, and Carrick/Rooney no better, but all of those are getting plenty of stick in their own little dedicated threads. Rooney's the main sticking point for me as he's the one who seems to be imune from the consequences of his own crapness. but again, that's a different issue and one I argued with Pogue over to the point of boring everyone to death only a couple of weeks ago.

Aye, I think we are quite flawed this year and for me Gibson, as a bit player, is way down the list of things that need addressing. I think we could win it all with a rubbish 6th choice central midfielder.

I agree 100% with this man.

99% surely? not the gimpfeatures bit?

He was annonymous against a non league team today, yeah he hit a couple of good passes but so what!!

it annoys me to think that he gets credit for hitting some good passes. Every player on the pitch in a United Jersey should be capable of hitting good passes every time they play.

He is not good enough to be playing for United. I think we should be aiming for better players than him to be at the club

But they don't, really. Those two passes were probably as good as Fletcher's two best passes all season, which makes it even more laughable that people were saying he can't pass a ball. Couple of really excellent crosses too.

Completely anonymous when he was played deeper but then that's a recurring theme, he just hasn't really worked there for us.

I still reckon i've seen enough of Gibson to hold some hope of him being a good player for us. He's not had the best time of it this season but there's just something about him that makes me think we shouldn't give up.

Still far too static, doesn't close down well enough and as with a few others his anticipation is non-existent.

That was the big change when Anderson came off, no one in the midfield did any closing down except right in front of the box the rest of the game, it was absolutely appaling

I still reckon i've seen enough of Gibson to hold some hope of him being a good player for us. He's not had the best time of it this season but there's just something about him that makes me think we shouldn't give up.

2 VERY good throught balls which I haven't seen Anderson produce in quite some time was magnificent, not to mention that he had good deliveries to the box.

That is something we can keep our faith in imo.

2nd half and you can see that he doesn't look like he wanted to defend and was probably tired.

I thought he looked a lot better in this match, probably built a lot of confidence from his international game where he scored and absolute screamer.

Good for him, he needs to keep working hard.

I still consider hiim a prospect, despite all the negativeness in this thread.

Against Crawley Town, you couldn't be described as a "World beater", even if you scored 10 goals in a game. The man is a decent squad player at best. If he wants to stay and he's happy with the odd CC, FA Cup and a few league games as a squad player then fair enough, but he'll never be any more than that.

Then he needs to go then, because he is taking up a spot on the squad from someone who could end up being a lot more than a fringe squad player.

He was great from the 30th minute through to the end of the first half. Two fantastic through balls, two or three very good crosses, he looked to actually be taking a bit of control out there.

Unfortunately for the first half an hour he wasn't anything special, and he was virtually anonymous in the second half.

I didn't watch the game live and was expecting a barn-storming first 45 based on some of the comments here but I was disappointed. He wasn't great in the first half and very poor in the second.

Still, he did at least prove all the nonsense about him having nothing to his game but a good shot is just that, nonsense.

He's got an excellent shot and a very good range of passing. Unfortunately, it's almost every other aspect of his game that lets him down.

f4it1t.jpg

A-Ha!

Jurassic Park

Gibson put in a very good shift yesterday, i always said the lad had good vision in relation to his passing to sending in crosses & corner kicks etc & i'm glad to say he did well in that area of his game yesterday even more glad i witnessed it 1st hand, i still maintain that the lad has a future at Utd & will have a role to play for us, i really was delighted for him & the team of course yesterday, despite the score!

Gibson put in a very good shift yesterday, i always said the lad had good vision in relation to his passing to sending in crosses & corner kicks etc & i'm glad to say he did well in that area of his game yesterday even more glad i witnessed it 1st hand, i still maintain that the lad has a future at Utd & will have a role to play for us, i really was delighted for him & the team of course yesterday, despite the score!

How can people think he put in a good shift yesterday, he had a couple of good passes in the first half and set up the goal, other than that he literally did nothing the rest of the game, and let a non league side control the midfield, he was fecking awful. There is no doubt that those passes were nice, but come on that is not enough impact to merit a good display.

Then he needs to go then, because he is taking up a spot on the squad from someone who could end up being a lot more than a fringe squad player.

He refuses to leave, the club might have have to kick him out like with Richardson. Unfortunately Fergie sees something in him atm.

I didn't watch the game live and was expecting a barn-storming first 45 based on some of the comments here but I was disappointed. He wasn't great in the first half and very poor in the second.

Still, he did at least prove all the nonsense about him having nothing to his game but a good shot is just that, nonsense.

He's got an excellent shot and a very good range of passing. Unfortunately, it's almost every other aspect of his game that lets him down.

If he can produce this week in week out, he will be a superb player already.

How can people think he put in a good shift yesterday, he had a couple of good passes in the first half and set up the goal, other than that he literally did nothing the rest of the game, and let a non league side control the midfield, he was fecking awful. There is no doubt that those passes were nice, but come on that is not enough impact to merit a good display.

Missed his set pieces did you ?

His corners were excellent.

Got one, should have had two assists yesterday.

Why are people using the old "shit with good flashes" argument to criticise him?

Nani used to have terrible games but could show one or two moments of brilliance. Sometimes that's all you need.

Also, compared to (at times) Giggs, Nani and Rooney, Gibson's crossing was exceptional yesterday.