Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

I'm guessing his PR man wrote this:

@Cristiano yes finally. still learning how to work with this. I appreciate your help. #confused

And Nani himself wrote this:

Yes umbeleiveble goal ☺

fecking hell boss, they're non league, and he's had an ocean of space to play those balls, especially the one you cite

He's played well don't get me wrong, perhaps the best player on the pitch, but the need for BRILLIANT in capitals?!

I don't think anyone was "BRILLIANT" in the first half.

I thought Gibson has played well.

It's not just the two through balls, he's the only United player to have put in consistently good crosses. Contrast his delivery to Bebe and Obertan and you can see the difference in quality. He's laid on four good chances tonight and funnily enough I don't think anyone else has laid on anything.

He should be able to do this against Crawley, granted, but he's done well thus far.

Only criticism of him for me is his shooting been poor tonight in his decisions and execution.

He spent the entire second half failing to even compete with a non league midfield, despite being obviously better at football than them.

He's a joke of a player. Carrick's become a pathetic effort of his former self too.

Second half was the worst midfield performance I've ever seen from a United side.

Not even trying in the second half, was he? He had a fairly good first half and follows it up with that crap.

How anyone can come on here and slate Gibson after a team showing like that is beyond me, fwiw, he was better than Rooney.

How anyone can come on here and slate Gibson after a team showing like that is beyond me, fwiw, he was better than Rooney.

Not in the second half. They were equally worthless. Gibson didn't even try to close down or defend in the second half. He was content to let them have possession.

I missed the game, seems like it's been a trademark Gibson performance with him allowing the other team to boss the midfield....

Looked comfortable in a 3 man midfield in the 1st half and played a few beautiful passes.

The problem is he was completely shown up for his lack of movement in a 2 man midfield once Anderson went off and I think that is what well hold him back from progressing as a United player because he doesn't seem to have the reading of the game to play the Carrick-type role shielding the defenders either.

Not in the second half. They were equally worthless. Gibson didn't even try to close down or defend in the second half. He was content to let them have possession.

I agree, he was on the same level as an appalling Rooney and way better overall than Obertan or Bebe, or even Hernandez. He was in the middle of the performers yet still gets it in the neck.

If he has 15 yards of space, he can pick a great pass or score a great goal. If he doesn't have 15 yards, he can't do it.

He and Carrick really struggled in the second half against their midfield.

Our best player in the first half though.

I missed the game, seems like it's been a trademark Gibson performance with him allowing the other team to boss the midfield....

Trademark in that the whole team were below par and Gibson wasn't the worst of them.

He was annonymous against a non league team today, yeah he hit a couple of good passes but so what!!

it annoys me to think that he gets credit for hitting some good passes. Every player on the pitch in a United Jersey should be capable of hitting good passes every time they play.

He is not good enough to be playing for United. I think we should be aiming for better players than him to be at the club

Him and Carrick allowed Crawley Town to completely dominate the middle third of the pitch for a majority of the game, at Old Trafford. If he's not going to be criticised for that then what's the point?

I don't understand how people can come to the conclusion that anyone in our midfield was anywhere near good enough today. Gibson had about ten minutes where he simply did what he should have been doing. Other than that they were all genuinely shocking.

The problem is that if our defence (who luckily were faultless) had put in the same standard of performance as our midfield, we'd have lost the game comfortably...against a non league side...at home.

Rooney was pathetic I thought, but different issue.

Ah lads this is just nuts, the guy is there to come in and give people like Scholes a rest against weaker opposition, I think he's played in only one of our last 10 defeats, so he does his job, I'd be a bit more worried about the 150k a week centre forward who looked like he was busting a gut but still did nowt than I would be about the reserve midfielder who was as bad as the team was second half.

Him and Carrick allowed Crawley Town to completely dominate the middle third of the pitch for a majority of the game, at Old Trafford. If he's not going to be criticised for that then what's the point?

I don't understand how people can come to the conclusion that anyone in our midfield was anywhere near good enough today. Gibson had about ten minutes where he simply did what he should have been doing. Other than that they were all genuinely shocking.

The problem is that if our defence (who luckily were faultless) had put in the same standard of performance as our midfield, we'd have lost the game comfortably...against a non league side...at home.

Rooney was pathetic I thought, but different issue.

Him and Carrick. Exactly. Carrick being the senior player and Gibson being the reserve who plays against weak opposition to give Scholes/ Giggs a rest. Gibson playing at that level and Carrick playing at that level is not the same, only one of them is a contender for the first 11.

I am not a fan, but he did well today. Compared to the rest of the team.

Him and Carrick. Exactly. Carrick being the senior player and Gibson being the reserve who plays against weak opposition to give Scholes/ Giggs a rest. Gibson playing at that level and Carrick playing at that level is not the same, only one of them is a contender for the first 11.

Carrick's a big problem because he's the only one of our midfielders who isn't incredibly suspect positionally (Scholes is fine, but doesn't have the legs anymore), but he's become so pedestrian we might as well just stick another defender in there instead of him.

If Gibson's job is to come in and fill the gap left by other players though, he still has to be good enough to do that. It's no good playing in a 4-4-2 and then not even contesting the midfield for 80 minutes of every game he plays. It's clearly not an ability problem either. He just blatantly isn't cut out to play in that kind of role, regardless of the opposition.

This thread is about whether Darron Gibson is good enough after all. Not why Carrick has turned into a cowardly John O'Shea, or why Rooney has turned into a joke.

Frankly if anyone thought any part of our midfield was good enough today they must be living in cuckoo land.