Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

His through passes against Southamptom were poor but he is a great ball striker. This does not mean he is a great passer.

His passing isn't that bad that it deserves the constant & harsh criticism it gets on here though, all this he can't pass for shit stuff is a load of bollix. Gibson is well able to pass the ball & is particularly good at playing quick one twos, just like he did last night for his goal. His ability to pass the ball at long range was clear as the light of day against Rangers at OT too. Gibson's ability to pass the ball isn't a problem at all.

In relation to Trap's advice he should be loaned out for a season to a PL club where he'll get enough action for us & Fergie to once & for all make a decision as into whether or not he has a role to play at Man Utd in the future, i wouldn't be at all on for selling him straight away.

To be fair, it's hard to ignore the things he does wrong and they're as apparent in an Ireland shirt as they are in a United one.

If he is going to have any kind of career at United he badly needs to sort out what he does when not in possession of the football. I think his ability on the ball is hugely under-rated on here. He's not just got a thunderous shot, he's got a great range of passing.

It's just that when he's not on the ball, the game seems to pass him by. Not sure if he'll ever sort out that flaw in his game tbh.

Massive anxiety thing, that. It's amazing how much he'd improve if he actually looked for the ball like he did for that goal against Wales.

Very ordinary players (or players that aren't incrediby talented) can look much better than really technically gifted footballers just on this basis alone! Look at Lampard, for example.

This was the season where he was supposed to step up and solidify his spot in the team as a possible starter. SAF talked about him giving us 10 goals a season from midfield and if he can't get onto the pitch then he can't provide those goals.

I think the season will pass him by and he'll be wise to heed Trap's advice and move on. It will be good for him because only way he'll progress is to play more. With 3 months left in the season, with Valencia and Park coming back into the fray and you consider midfield options of CM options of Carrick, Fletcher, Scholes, Anderson and Giggs - just can't see him getting games, even in the FA Cup.

He'll be a good player somewhere but, perhaps timing wise it hasn't worked for him having to compete against so many. Maybe if Scholes had retired for this season he might have had more of a role to play and more of a chance.

It will now end up being perhaps a Cleverly or someone else chance to become a regular CM for us next season.

...and also highlight the problem of "statistics".

I tend to think its better to judge a player on his influence on the game and general performances.

I agree.

Stats don't tell the full story but they help show what a player does.

And by the stats Carrick leads United or is close to leading in interceptions, passing percentage, passes completed and tackles.

Wow.

He needs to hit the gym and start doing yoga.

He can be a usefull player. It has been said many times that he is pretty decent on the ball, can pass and has a hell of a shot. He just isn't physically imposing at all. Carrick isn't but he has the positioning and the vision to make up for it.

Either Fergie rates him or Fergie wants to play him to show him off because he is gone in the summer. Im not sure which.

What would you lot thing if he became a squad player like Brown or Oshea?

Phil Bardsley, Kieran Richardson, Luke Chadwick, Eagles, Frazier Campbell.

Fletcher coming good shouldn't be used as a lazy justification that every player should be afforded that time.

That's true but by the same token it doesn't mean that he won't come good. It is also indicative that if Fergie thinks a young player has something to add to the squad he will give him all the time he needs to step up to the mark.

For what it's worth I've never been hugely impressed with him but every now and again he gives glimpses of what it must be that Fergie sees in him.

Aye, he was poor early on but he's definitely been very good in recent weeks/months.

Definitely improving.

It seems to be though that he seems to be getting deeper and deeper. The Carrick from a couple of years ago was able to get up and down the pitch, breaking into the box a fair bit and getting a fair share of goals. This seems to have disappeared and he seems to have gotten deeper and deeper. (I don't know, maybe I am wrong)

If true, it has to be a tactical thing rather than something Carrick is choosing to do. He isn't the type of player he was a couple of years ago. Playing somebody so deep can put a lot of other pressure on a midfield partner if playing a 2 man midfield.

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has reiterated his belief that Darron Gibson should leave Manchester United.

Gibson opened the scoring with a stunning long-range strike in Ireland's stunning 3-0 Carling Nations Cup victory over Wales in Dublin.

Trapattoni rates the 23-year-old midfielder highly but he gets only limited first-team opportunities at Old Trafford and the Italian believes a move would be in his best interests.

Trapattoni said: "He can do more. He has big potential and the right mentality but I said a year or a year and a half ago that if I were Gibson I would go to another club where I can play continuously.

"With this you can build your mentality.

"Manchester is Manchester and is obviously an important club but sometimes in the end you need you need to play, play, play.

"You can take confidence from this, but I think he is fantastic."

Trapattoni will now turn his attention to the visit of Macedonia next month as he looks for his side to build on their solid start in Euro 2012 qualifying Group B.

Trapattoni again insisted Wigan midfielder James McCarthy remains in his long-term plans despite speculation over his international future this week.

The 20-year-old was withdrawn by Wigan due to injury but his absence sparked suggestions the Scottish-born player may be reconsidering his international allegiance.

That has been consistently downplayed and Trapattoni said: "All Irish players are in our future.

"We look at the new young players and McCarthy can play in the future."

Well Trap wants him to leave.

Has Gibson scored for Utd this season?

he's scored once, but realistically has only started 7 matches this term, 3 in the league.

he's getting a lot of stuff heaped on his shoulders this season by fans which is probably slightly unfair

we saw last season and in the reserves that if he starts a run of games he is capable of knocking goals in. Hence my post above. There are many fine central midfielders around, but a dearth of ones that can chip in with goals. Gibson is capable of that, given a run of games

We all know that Trap has got a bit senile. Sure he rates Paul Green ffs. Plus, he could have meant to say something totally different. His English is woeful and he says the wrong thing all the time.

he's scored once, but realistically has only started 7 matches this term, 3 in the league.

he's getting a lot of stuff heaped on his shoulders this season by fans which is probably slightly unfair

we saw last season and in the reserves that if he starts a run of games he is capable of knocking goals in. Hence my post above. There are many fine central midfielders around, but a dearth of ones that can chip in with goals. Gibson is capable of that, given a run of games

I keep seeing him described as a goalscoring midfielder. His record for scoring for Utd, internationals, loan spells and reserves don't scream great goal scorer.

I keep seeing him described as a goalscoring midfielder. His record for scoring for Utd, internationals, loan spells and reserves don't scream great goal scorer.

fine, you know better than Fergie

Sir Alex Ferguson: Darron Gibson's Goals Make Him 'The New Paul Scholes' At Manchester United - Goal.com

By Zack Wilson
Apr 14, 2010 2:01:00 PM

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes that Darron Gibson can develop into the kind of goalscoring midfielder which Paul Scholes has been at Old Trafford over recent years.

Ferguson believes that the Red Devils have lacked a natural goalscorer in midfield when Scholes has not been fit, and he is optimistic that Gibson, who netted his sixth goal of the season last week against Bayern Munich in the Champions League, can develop into that kind of player.

"You saw Gibson's performance against Bayern Munich," the Scot told reporters.

"That was his sixth goal of the season [in all competitions] and you cannot dismiss that.

"It is the kind of contribution we used to get from Paul Scholes. He used to get me 12 to 14 goals from midfield all the time and we haven't had a player like that in a while."

Ferguson also feels that Gibson may well have helped United's campaign significantly if he had played more regularly throughout the season.

"Who is to say if Gibson had been playing all the time where he would be in terms of goals?" Ferguson mused.

"But he is getting recognition now and even the players are commenting on how much he has improved."

he's had a few niggly injuries this year and hasn't played or kicked on as much as we'd have hoped.

fine, you know better than Fergie
"Eric is a young player we have watched throughout the season and he's impressed us each time with his understanding of the game," said Ferguson. "In the last few months he has shown his development, playing in a very good Cameroon team and he looks like a Manchester United player in every sense."

Fergie's not always right, you know...

"Eric is a young player we have watched throughout the season and he's impressed us each time with his understanding of the game," said Ferguson. "In the last few months he has shown his development, playing in a very good Cameroon team and he looks like a Manchester United player in every sense."

Fergie's not always right, you know...

He also once described Kieran Richardson as one of the best players to come through our youth system since the class of 92. What Fergie says and thinks aren't always the same thing. Apparently we should ignore facts though and put blind faith in everything he says.

Even though Gibbo has been largley shit this season i've always held out a home for him that he will one day just "get it".

I still think he'll go on to be a good player but unfortunately I doubt it will be with us.

I'm not reading a Goal.com article, but if Fergie is indeed comparing him to Paul Scholes, then yes I do know better than Fergie, because that's a claim of the utmost bollocks. Methinks he's just building the blokes confidence up to try and help him perform, and you're buying a bit too much into it

I can't believe after all these years some still takes Fergie's word as gospel. You must see how he plays the media for his and our own gain by now?

I'm not reading a Goal.com article, but if Fergie is indeed comparing him to Paul Scholes, then yes I do know better than Fergie, because that's a claim of the utmost bollocks. Methinks he's just building the blokes confidence up to try and help him perform, and you're buying a bit too much into it

I can't believe after all these years some still takes Fergie's word as gospel. You must see how he plays the media for his and our own gain by now?

It was talking about his ability to score goals, which isn't really in question.

Just read a stastistic that said of the last 8 headed goals United have conceded, Rio has not played in any of them. Quite an interesting statistic. I always thought his positioning and particularly his heading were underrated and I think we take his heading ability for granted, because of Vidic, but do you think that this stat says more about us lacking Ferdinand, or more about the ability of his replacements? I think with 8 goals, you cant call it coincidence, its pretty in your face when you consider we dont concede many goals, period.

full stop. But I did allude to this a week back. Without Rio Ferds we lack a proper organiser.

I was only really highlighting the fact that he's saying Gibson is a midfielder capable of chipping in with goals. This was in response to a previous post where someone asked why Aston Villa would sign him when they already have other midfielders. My point is that goalscoring midfielders are an asset. Acnumber9 took exception to that for some reason

To put it simply, no, he's not. Not even close. He'll be 24 in October and so far he's performed nowhere near the standards required at United. Not even good enough to be a squad player.

He looks comfortable at reserve level, Morrison perhaps more so. I'm so excited about these two.

Unfortunately, Gibson is currently taking up the place of two far more talented youngsters here, though there's no rush I suppose. Me thinks Morrison, in particular, will go straight into the first team. He's one of those youngsters.

Good to hear, I knew Pogba was supposed to be going into the reserves but I hadn't heard anything since.

Can Morrison play in a 2 man midfield?

....the difference between the two is that lampard scores goals

Darron Gibson: The incomplete midfielder

By Liam Mackey
Thursday, February 10, 2011

ONCE the universal acclaim for Darron Gibson’s thrilling strike against Wales had died down, the nagging doubts tended to resurface.

Yes, we all know the Manchester United man has spectacular goals in his locker – but has he got enough of all the other stuff required to make him an automatic first choice in Ireland’s central midfield? Giovanni Trapattoni believes he has but "the important question", he said yesterday, is how the player goes about bringing it to the fore. All managers are in thrall to the concept of the complete midfielder but it’s clear that, for all the potential he believes the Derry man possesses, Trapattoni thinks Darron Gibson, is still the incomplete version.

Reflecting in a Dublin airport hotel on Ireland’s latest outing before he caught his flight home to Milan, Trapattoni was at pains to preface his thoughts on Gibson by reminding his audience that the last time he spoke at length about him, his comments provoked a minor controversy – or what the Italian always prefers to call a "polemica".

He was referring to last September when his suggestion that a change of club might be beneficial for the Old Trafford fringe player prompted a clearly irritated Gibson to snap back: "To what club, other than Manchester United, could I go to improve my game? If he’s trying to say that I should move somewhere like Stoke City and change my game to winning tackles and not winning games then he’s having a laugh."

Peace was duly restored and Gibson retained his place in Trapattoni’s squad but, the veteran Italian made it clear again that he still harbours reservations about the rate of Gibson’s development at the Theatre of Dreams.

And not only as a result of a lack of game time but also because he believes that the 23-year-old is inclined to defer to the club’s more senior personalities when he does get his opportunities on the pitch.

"At half time on Wednesday I said to the players that we had the possibility to shoot more and he scored a great goal," said Trapattoni. "But I expect more from him. He can do more. There was a polemica before when I said that if I was Gibson I would go to another club where I would play more and build personality. Manchester is Manchester, like Juve or Inter, but players need to play, play, play.

"His potential is fantastic but at United there are other players with more personality. In that situation the young can sometimes wait for the ball and let others, like Scholes, play. There are two situations in a game – when we have the ball and when the opposition has the ball. Darron is fantastic when he has the ball but when he finishes an offensive action, he needs to continue to be involved. Sometimes he just looks on because, at United, he is used to them getting the ball back. I said to him that if you lose the ball, you must continue. When you pass the ball, the play is not finished. At 21 I was running 5k or 8k. It’s not about radical change, it’s about understanding the situation."

The significant change of emphasis from Trapattoni’s previous analysis of the reasons behind Gibson’s unfulfilled potential is that the Italian now sees a possible breakthrough for him at Old Trafford, assuming, of course, that the decision to stay there next season is not taken out of the player’s hands. "Maybe next year Scholes goes out and he could play and improve," said Trapattoni. "I expect that this could happen."

In the meantime, the Ireland manager was not about to be called on whether he would start Gibson against Macedonia in next month’s European qualifier in Dublin. "Today fish, tomorrow meat," he smiled, meaning he couldn’t possibly decide on the menu one month in advance.

Similarly, he wasn’t giving any hostages to fortune about the prospect of last night’s first-timers making a competitive debut on March 26. Yes, he reiterated that he was impressed with Ciaran Clark and Seamus Coleman against Wales but, for now, he sees them as options rather than certainties. And that appears to suggest that, contrary to speculation, the veteran Kevin Kilbane’s race might not yet be run. Confirming that he would include both the Aston Villa and Huddersfield Town men in his next squad, Trapattoni said: "We can’t forget players like Kilbane. I said to him that this was a friendly game, I said I had to try other players and he said ‘ok no problem’. It’s a month away and we can think about it. We have a choice between one or two different players. The same with Seamus Coleman. Why not McGeady? Or Lawrence? Or Hunt? We must also bear the opposition in mind. The good thing is that, thank God, we have not only 11 players now, like we had in the past. We needed to discover others."

Read more: Darron Gibson: The incomplete midfielder | Irish Examiner

By Liam Mackey
Thursday, February 10, 2011

ONCE the universal acclaim for Darron Gibson’s thrilling strike against Wales had died down, the nagging doubts tended to resurface.

Yes, we all know the Manchester United man has spectacular goals in his locker – but has he got enough of all the other stuff required to make him an automatic first choice in Ireland’s central midfield? Giovanni Trapattoni believes he has but "the important question", he said yesterday, is how the player goes about bringing it to the fore. All managers are in thrall to the concept of the complete midfielder but it’s clear that, for all the potential he believes the Derry man possesses, Trapattoni thinks Darron Gibson, is still the incomplete version.

Reflecting in a Dublin airport hotel on Ireland’s latest outing before he caught his flight home to Milan, Trapattoni was at pains to preface his thoughts on Gibson by reminding his audience that the last time he spoke at length about him, his comments provoked a minor controversy – or what the Italian always prefers to call a "polemica".

He was referring to last September when his suggestion that a change of club might be beneficial for the Old Trafford fringe player prompted a clearly irritated Gibson to snap back: "To what club, other than Manchester United, could I go to improve my game? If he’s trying to say that I should move somewhere like Stoke City and change my game to winning tackles and not winning games then he’s having a laugh."

Peace was duly restored and Gibson retained his place in Trapattoni’s squad but, the veteran Italian made it clear again that he still harbours reservations about the rate of Gibson’s development at the Theatre of Dreams.

And not only as a result of a lack of game time but also because he believes that the 23-year-old is inclined to defer to the club’s more senior personalities when he does get his opportunities on the pitch.

"At half time on Wednesday I said to the players that we had the possibility to shoot more and he scored a great goal," said Trapattoni. "But I expect more from him. He can do more. There was a polemica before when I said that if I was Gibson I would go to another club where I would play more and build personality. Manchester is Manchester, like Juve or Inter, but players need to play, play, play.

"His potential is fantastic but at United there are other players with more personality. In that situation the young can sometimes wait for the ball and let others, like Scholes, play. There are two situations in a game – when we have the ball and when the opposition has the ball. Darron is fantastic when he has the ball but when he finishes an offensive action, he needs to continue to be involved. Sometimes he just looks on because, at United, he is used to them getting the ball back. I said to him that if you lose the ball, you must continue. When you pass the ball, the play is not finished. At 21 I was running 5k or 8k. It’s not about radical change, it’s about understanding the situation."

The significant change of emphasis from Trapattoni’s previous analysis of the reasons behind Gibson’s unfulfilled potential is that the Italian now sees a possible breakthrough for him at Old Trafford, assuming, of course, that the decision to stay there next season is not taken out of the player’s hands. "Maybe next year Scholes goes out and he could play and improve," said Trapattoni. "I expect that this could happen."

In the meantime, the Ireland manager was not about to be called on whether he would start Gibson against Macedonia in next month’s European qualifier in Dublin. "Today fish, tomorrow meat," he smiled, meaning he couldn’t possibly decide on the menu one month in advance.

Similarly, he wasn’t giving any hostages to fortune about the prospect of last night’s first-timers making a competitive debut on March 26. Yes, he reiterated that he was impressed with Ciaran Clark and Seamus Coleman against Wales but, for now, he sees them as options rather than certainties. And that appears to suggest that, contrary to speculation, the veteran Kevin Kilbane’s race might not yet be run. Confirming that he would include both the Aston Villa and Huddersfield Town men in his next squad, Trapattoni said: "We can’t forget players like Kilbane. I said to him that this was a friendly game, I said I had to try other players and he said ‘ok no problem’. It’s a month away and we can think about it. We have a choice between one or two different players. The same with Seamus Coleman. Why not McGeady? Or Lawrence? Or Hunt? We must also bear the opposition in mind. The good thing is that, thank God, we have not only 11 players now, like we had in the past. We needed to discover others."

Read more: Darron Gibson: The incomplete midfielder | Irish Examiner

Giovanni Trapattoni is Cristiano Ronaldo's true father :lol:

''"His potential is fantastic but at United there are other players with more personality. In that situation the young can sometimes wait for the ball and let others, like Scholes, play. There are two situations in a game – when we have the ball and when the opposition has the ball. Darron is fantastic when he has the ball but when he finishes an offensive action, he needs to continue to be involved. Sometimes he just looks on because, at United, he is used to them getting the ball back. I said to him that if you lose the ball, you must continue. When you pass the ball, the play is not finished. At 21 I was running 5k or 8k. It’s not about radical change, it’s about understanding the situation."
Giovanni Trappatoni
Oh yes. Gibson is so shit that such a manager thinks highly of his talent....

''"His potential is fantastic but at United there are other players with more personality. In that situation the young can sometimes wait for the ball and let others, like Scholes, play. There are two situations in a game – when we have the ball and when the opposition has the ball. Darron is fantastic when he has the ball but when he finishes an offensive action, he needs to continue to be involved. Sometimes he just looks on because, at United, he is used to them getting the ball back. I said to him that if you lose the ball, you must continue. When you pass the ball, the play is not finished. At 21 I was running 5k or 8k. It’s not about radical change, it’s about understanding the situation."
Giovanni Trappatoni

Gio knows his shit don't he, couldn't have summed up Gibbo better myself.

Gio knows his shit don't he, couldn't have summed up Gibbo better myself.
Indeed. What many on here don't get is consistent game time is what helps young midfielders develop the understanding to not let games pass them by, and helps them to learn how to impose themselves on matches. Yet Gibson gets them so rarely. That is why his current progress is slow.

People like me constantly mention Fletcher because of how long his game took to mature even with constant game time. Even when it was obvious that our coaching staff believed he had the talent, which most fans simply couldn't see. Nani was the same. So is Anderson.

But if you mention that on here you get the likes of Barsdsley and Richardson thrown at you. People on here seem to think getting into a match day squad at United is piss easy, no real talent is involved and you don't have to impress in training.

I was only really highlighting the fact that he's saying Gibson is a midfielder capable of chipping in with goals. This was in response to a previous post where someone asked why Aston Villa would sign him when they already have other midfielders. My point is that goalscoring midfielders are an asset. Acnumber9 took exception to that for some reason

My exception is that Gibson hasn't shown himself to be a goal scoring midfielder. How often does he get himself into the box and on the end of chances? His record isn't that of a regular goal scorer. You seemed to think me basing an opinion on facts meant I thought I knew more than Fergie for some stupid reason.

Giovanni Trappatoni

Big difference between having talent and being a successful footballer. Trappotoni's not the first person in a roundabout fashion to label Gibson a lazy bastard. The world is full of talented players who've done feck all with that gift.

Indeed. What many on here don't get is consistent game time is what helps young midfielders develop the understanding to not let games pass them by, and helps them to learn how to impose themselves on matches. Yet Gibson gets them so rarely. That is why his current progress is slow.

People like me constantly mention Fletcher because of how long his game took to mature even with constant game time. Even when it was obvious that our coaching staff believed he had the talent, which most fans simply couldn't see. Nani was the same. So is Anderson.

But if you mention that on here you get the likes of Barsdsley and Richardson thrown at you. People on here seem to think getting into a match day squad at United is piss easy, no real talent is involved and you don't have to impress in training.

Who thinks it's easy to get in Utd's squad? It's shit when people put the flipside to an argument. I hate those selfish bastards, why can't everyone just agree with you.