Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Devils

I have too much sad memories from 03/04, when Rio was missing and we completely lost it all. But I hope we are in better shape this time to cope with Rio missing long term.

Devils

I have too much sad memories from 03/04, when Rio was missing and we completely lost it all. But I hope we are in better shape this time to cope with Rio missing long term.

Of course we have - we had nowhere near the strength in depth defensively back then. For a start we now have Vidic. Then there's Van Der Saar.

We've lost one game so far, our away form hasn't been good but we're still 4 clear. It isn't going to be easy with or without rio but I think you do the squad a great disservice by suggesting we have no chance to win the league without rio, that's all.

What the feck has two years ago got to do with it? The side two years ago didnt play like a bunch of fannies every time they stepped out of Manchester.

They also didn't score as often but swings & roundabouts.

The reaction to adversity on here is just hysteria, it's ridiculous and utterly fannyish.

Deary me.

Tad over-dramatic don't you think? You say things like this after every defeat and mostly end up looking like a tit.

You think we can go to Anfield, the Emirates and Stamford Bridge and get results without Rio? As much as I rate Smalling we are an accident waiting to happen without him.

We have been abysmal away from home all season. We have 8 away games left. Given the respective fixture lists i reckon missing Rio could well make the difference.

You cannot disagree he is a great shooter of the ball from long distance.

Other than that? I don't think he is that good at much.

I would be surprised if he makes a career in any other team than a bottom premiership or championship team.

We always get a decent price for our young players. United education, UCL experience, experience of winning things = hiked value.

Also the players you mention have had just 1 prem appearance thus far.

Thats usually the case if the player in point has looked half decent, or has been on loan at another club and done well.

I can't see any clubs who could afford to spend £6 million on a midfielder doing so on Gibson, especially as said clubs probably have better players in their midfield anyway.

His stock's hardly high based on current performances.

If he played for another team, one might say, ''he is absolutely shit!''

Our midfield desperately needs refreshing in the summer.

Scholes passing statistics are scary. You just don't lose that ability, no matter what your age. Very impressive stats for Carrick too, I think a lot of what he does can go unnoticed because he lacks the flair of Scholes and the constant running about of Fletcher.

Except when played with Fletcher that we all except Fergie know is out of form.

True. I think Fergie keeps expecting Fletcher to turn it round but he's really struggled this season and it's hurting us.

Here's some random stats to annoy people who hate stats.

Fletcher has played in 8 out of the 10 games in which we dropped points this season.

Out of the 20 games he started, we have dropped points in 8 and won in 12.

In the 5 games he didn't start, we won all of them.

Interesting article on Gibson and how he works with other midfielders.
Darron Gibson: United Player? « Paul Ince's Notebook

So Gibson is poor defensively. Thats the summary of Paul Ince's notebook.

Is this not an area of his game that he could improve?

Carrick didn't exactly look like a midfield enforcer last year against Bayern - tie we should have won were it not for his weak defending.

Give young Gibson a break.

True. I think Fergie keeps expecting Fletcher to turn it round but he's really struggled this season and it's hurting us.

Here's some random stats to annoy people who hate stats.

Fletcher has played in 8 out of the 10 games in which we dropped points this season.

Out of the 20 games he started, we have dropped points in 8 and won in 12.

In the 5 games he didn't start, we won all of them.

Wow. Yeah i'm not surprised to read that. Fletch has been poor this term. I'm hoping he will come good in the big away games and on Saturday. And that Park puts in his big game performances.

Just read a stastistic that said of the last 8 headed goals United have conceded, Rio has not played in any of them. Quite an interesting statistic. I always thought his positioning and particularly his heading were underrated and I think we take his heading ability for granted, because of Vidic, but do you think that this stat says more about us lacking Ferdinand, or more about the ability of his replacements? I think with 8 goals, you cant call it coincidence, its pretty in your face when you consider we dont concede many goals, period.

It's a case of our backup defenders letting us down. In previous seasons we've had brown and Evans at the top of their game to rely on to step in and of course oshea as well. This season brown hasn't really featured, Evans has been rubbish and oshea has been surprisingly poor.

Fletcher started the season off very nicely. He continued his good form from last season. But since two months into this season, like October, he has struggled and his performances were dropped dramatically.

O'Shea hasn't played in central defence once this season. So there's no link between Rio being out and him playing.

Brown has barely featured and Evans has been poor but Smalling's done ok.

I think the organisational qualities Rio brings to our defence are just as important, if not more so, than the poor form of his replacements when it comes to explaining the stat mentioned above.

Which also confirm Carrick has been very good this season.

Ah, come on, Pogue. Carrick has improved over the course of the season but when you include his performances earlier (and some, albeit less since) 'very good' is way too strong. Regardless of what the stats say, we've all seen him struggle at times this season.

Just read a stastistic that said of the last 8 headed goals United have conceded, Rio has not played in any of them. Quite an interesting statistic. I always thought his positioning and particularly his heading were underrated and I think we take his heading ability for granted, because of Vidic, but do you think that this stat says more about us lacking Ferdinand, or more about the ability of his replacements? I think with 8 goals, you cant call it coincidence, its pretty in your face when you consider we dont concede many goals, period.

I bet at least six of them where from Evans wimping out in the last second.

Carrick didn't exactly look like a midfield enforcer last year against Bayern - tie we should have won were it not for his weak defending.

I hope he can improve in all areas of his game, a lot.

Can you ever envisage Gibson dominating the top European teams in the middle of the park. Instiing fear into opponents. ?
I can't, and thats the type of player that should be in uniteds engine room if we want to be challenging for major honours at home & in Europe.

Gibson isn't good enough yet, and I doubt he ever will be.

Anyone who thinks we'll get anything like £6m if very very optimistic. I'd be surprised if he went for more than Eagles or Bardsley.

O'Shea hasn't played in central defence once this season. So there's no link between Rio being out and him playing.

Brown has barely featured and Evans has been poor but Smalling's done ok.

I think the organisational qualities Rio brings to our defence are just as important, if not more so, than the poor form of his replacements when it comes to explaining the stat mentioned above.

I agree, I think this is more along the lines of what I was thinking.

I bet at least six of them where from Evans wimping out in the last second.

I dunno, but i'm fairly certain that these headed goals start from last season too, when we were all waxing lyrical about how good our back up defenders are.

Anyone who thinks we'll get anything like £6m if very very optimistic. I'd be surprised if he went for more than Eagles or Bardsley.

Nar, he's a goal scoring midfielder that'd do well for a few clubs and would easily fetch 6m. He gets a hard time on here.

He also featured in one of the best performances of the past few years:

He is nowhere near as bad as some make out.