Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

He gets a hard time from most.

He's a good player who could do a job further down the league. He is in no way 'shite' or 'useless'.

His game is average at best bar being able to smash one from 25 yards.

He'll do fine away from the very top level IMO.

Ah, come on, Pogue. Carrick has improved over the course of the season but when you include his performances earlier (and some, albeit less) since 'very good' is way too strong. Regardless of what the stats say, we've all seen him struggle at times this season.

Agreed.

Nar, he's a goal scoring midfielder that'd do well for a few clubs and would easily fetch 6m. He gets a hard time on here.

He also featured in one of the best performances of the past few years:

He is nowhere near as bad as some make out.

I can't see a club who would have that kind of money to splash on a totally unproven player. For starters he wouldn't get near the teams of Sunderland, Villa, Everton, Newcastle and similar, so we begin to look at the Birmingham/West Ham/Fulham's (even at these teams he'd have to compete with the likes of Sidwell, Parker, Murphy, Noble, Bowyer, B.Ferguson, Gardner etcetc)

I just can't see teams similar to the latter 3 spending £6m of Gibson when players like Robbie Keane are available at that price.

In fairness to the lad, he keeps being thrown into games away from home in two man midfields - it's clearly not ideal for a lad trying to cement his place. I think we've made some poor decisions in terms of the games we've selected him in this season, then he's been made the sacrificial lamb for our poor performances, which are not actually his fault.

I can't see a club who would have that kind of money to splash on a totally unproven player. For starters he wouldn't get near the teams of Sunderland, Villa, Everton, Newcastle and similar, so we begin to look at the Birmingham/West Ham/Fulham's (even at these teams he'd have to compete with the likes of Sidwell, Parker, Murphy, Noble, Bowyer, B.Ferguson, Gardner etcetc)

I just can't see teams similar to the latter 3 spending £6m of Gibson when players like Robbie Keane are available at that price.

£8 million on Smalling.

Darron Gibson hopes to stay at Manchester United - Football Spy - Mirror.co.uk

Everton are among the clubs interested in acquiring Gibson, who made 14 appearances for the Red Devils last season.

Newcastle After Red Devils' Darron Gibson To Replace Butt? | Footy … | Watch Premiership Football

One Team In Ireland: Houllier keen on bringing Gibson to Villa

Sunderland eye Carrick | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

Oh wait forget the last one.

Was at the match last night right behind the goal he scored in & that was a cracker of a goal scored by Darron, played a beautiful one two & then bang, a smashing goal, along with that i kept a close eye on him for obvious reasons & i have to say i thought he played a good game, did feck all wrong, one thing i did notice though & it could be just me but he was inclined to play his passes forward that bit more than when he plays for Utd, he was looking to play the forward pass more i thought.

Was at the match last night right behind the goal he scored in & that was a cracker of a goal scored by Darron, played a beautiful one two & then bang, a smashing goal, along with that i kept a close eye on him for obvious reasons & i have to say i thought he played a good game, did feck all wrong, one thing i did notice though & it could be just me but he was inclined to play his passes forward that bit more than when he plays for Utd, he was looking to play the forward pass more i thought.

What the feck has this to do with Utd! OK he scored a great goal in a match that was well below the standard in the PL, he's scored some great goals for Utd in the past....doesn't excuse teh fact that he's been very ineffective in Utd's midfield. All it suggests is that he might do better elsewhere.

Was at the match last night right behind the goal he scored in & that was a cracker of a goal scored by Darron, played a beautiful one two & then bang, along with that i kept a close eye on him for obvious reasons & i have to say i thought he played a good game, did feck all wrong, one thing i dod notice though & it could be just me but he was inclined to play his passes forward that bit more than when he plays for Utd, he was looking to play the forward pass more i thought.

He wasnt great in the first half tbh but Glen Whelan is slower than the hollyhead ferry and seems to have regressed badly in the last 6months. Fahy should be nailed on to start.

Were you in the singing section? Did you take your shoes off? :smirk:

What the feck has this to do with Utd! OK he scored a great goal in a match that was well below the standard in the PL, he's scored some great goals for Utd in the past....doesn't excuse teh fact that he's been very ineffective in Utd's midfield. All it suggests is that he might do better elsewhere.

Erm.... what?

In the same way that O`Shea is an importnat member of the squad, Gibson will be too if he doesnt mind sitting on the bench a lot. I cant wait to see the Gibson tributes on here next time he scores a rocket in a big game!

He wasnt great in the first half tbh but Glen Whelan is slower than the hollyhead ferry and seems to have regressed badly in the last 6months. Fahy should be nailed on to start.

Were you in the singing section? Did you take your shoes off? :smirk:

I was & i thought it was good crack considering the weather etc, should be brilliant there for the Northern Ireland & Scotland games, that section is a great idea altogether, shoe's n' all off :lol:

Can't wait till we lift the trophy now, i'll be a great lift to the country & more than likely will take us out of the recession!

In the same way that O`Shea is an importnat member of the squad, Gibson will be too if he doesnt mind sitting on the bench a lot. I cant wait to see the Gibson tributes on here next time he scores a rocket in a big game!

I agree, last season he had more goals than Anderson, Carrick or Fletcher in fewer games.

I can't see a club who would have that kind of money to splash on a totally unproven player. For starters he wouldn't get near the teams of Sunderland, Villa, Everton, Newcastle and similar

Actually yes he would, he'd get into all 4 of those teams squad if not in the starting 11

I was & i thought it was good crack considering the weather etc, should be brilliant there for the Northern Ireland & Scotland games, that section is a great idea altogether, shoe's n' all off :lol:

Can't wait till we lift the trophy now, i'll be a great lift to the country & more than likely will take us out of the recession!

Ah good stuff another tard in there!!! I love it I must say. The Tom Jones songs were funny last night aswell. The YBIG lads deserve a lot of credit for getting their ideal made into reality. I got my season ticket moved to the singing section last year. it continues to grow match by match.

NI should be interesting to say the least. Norwood and the two Evans might play aswell.

All I have to say is, how long did it take fletcher to find his feet in the first team?

Phil Bardsley, Kieran Richardson, Luke Chadwick, Eagles, Frazier Campbell.

Fletcher coming good shouldn't be used as a lazy justification that every player should be afforded that time.

THAT kind of money?? Is it 1997 again?

Well if you look at the kind of players those teams are spending that kind of money on, they are proven established first teamers (in the Premier League or Europe):

Makoun: Established first team player for a Champions League team with 8 seasons experience in the French League.

R.Keane: Proven Premier League striker.

Sessegnon: Bit more of a gamble but 2 and a half seasons as a first team starter for a team in Europe.

Tiote (£3.5m): Established first team starter for a team in Europe.

I really can't see how anyone could think that Gibson should be valued the same as those players or for instance Charlie Adam (and for the kind of team he will attract, £6m isn't a piss in the ocean).

It'll be a similar transfer to Eagles, Bardsley and if we are very lucky F.Campbell

The difference is Fergie and Wenger both believed Smalling has the potential to be a world class centre back. If Houllier is keen on Gibson I'd be very surprised given they've just bought Makoun and have good looking young players like Hogg, Delph and Bannen

Phil Bardsley, Kieran Richardson, Luke Chadwick, Eagles, Frazier Campbell.

Fletcher coming good shouldn't be used as a lazy justification that every player should be afforded that time.

Exactly. They are completely different players anyway.

The difference is Fergie and Wenger both believed Smalling has the potential to be a world class centre back. If Houllier is keen on Gibson I'd be very surprised given they've just bought Makoun and have good looking young players like Hogg, Delph and Bannen

The same Ferguson who said he could no longer hold Darron Gibson back when the player was a vital asset last season. Delph's been a waste of space since joining Villa. Comparing Gibson to Delph is the most ludicrious comment that I've seen you type finneh, and there's been a lot of competition there.

Actually yes he would, he'd get into all 4 of those teams squad if not in the starting 11

Villa midfielders: Downing, Petrov, Delph, Bannan, Clark, Makoun can all play central midfield. I doubt they would displace their inexperienced youth squad players for one of ours.

Sunderland: Henderson, Muntari, Cattermole, Riveros, Sessegnon. Again Gibson wouldn't improve this squad

Everton: Arteta, Cahill, Fellaini, Rodwell, Neville, Osman

Newcastle: Nolan, Tiote, Smith, Guthrie, Ireland, Barton, Gosling

I'm not saying Gibson is worse than all or any of these for the cretins that thought I was directly comparing. I'm saying that I don't believe any of the teams would buy Gibson to displace what they already have.

Why would Villa give up on Delph/Hogg/Bannan for a £6m gamble on Gibson? I don't think they would. The same with Sunderland and Henderson/Riveros and the same with Newcastle and Ireland/Gosling.

/edit: Jesus did I just read Berlinknives call Gibson a vital asset to us last season? Now who's typing ludicrous comments?

In fairness to the lad, he keeps being thrown into games away from home in two man midfields - it's clearly not ideal for a lad trying to cement his place. I think we've made some poor decisions in terms of the games we've selected him in this season, then he's been made the sacrificial lamb for our poor performances, which are not actually his fault.
Exactly.

I think you have to say no at the minute. Unfortunately he'd gone backwards before last nights goal. I think the talent coming through is potentially far greater. I think squad player at best.

For me, the only reason Gibson is still in our squad is because of his scoring ability... If he didn't have a good long shot, I'd reckon he wouldn't have got a new contract...

I'm sure SAF is confuring sth behind the scenes in order to improve the lad.

Not a real waste in the squad to have, home grown, will get you goals... well way more the Anderson will get if he stays like this...

Squad player.

No he wouldn't.

Everton have a very good midfield, and Villa have umpteen young lads coming though, as well as a couple of players they've spent decent money on.

Sunderland have just signed Sessengon and Muntari (albeit the latter on loan) and Newcastle's midfield is the best part of their squad.

The fact is that Darron Gibson just doesn't look very good very often, even in a good team.

Few players leave United and play to the same standard. Even less actually go on to become better players.

I dunno. Considering last year was his first full season in the first team squad I think he merits more time. Just because he doesn't look like the finished article for the 'engine room' of our team (as someone else put it) doesn't mean he has no role to play. I think that article from Ince is very interesting. It demonstrates that its is defensive game is really not up to scratch. If he improved that he could be a very important player I think.

This lad looks a really bright prospect, is he in the reserves yet?

He looks comfortable at reserve level, Morrison perhaps more so. I'm so excited about these two.

Unfortunately, Gibson is currently taking up the place of two far more talented youngsters here, though there's no rush I suppose. Me thinks Morrison, in particular, will go straight into the first team. He's one of those youngsters.

This is a good point actually.

Not saying Gibson's been particularly impressive this season but he's been thrown in at the deep end a bit.

Brum away and Blackpool away were tricky fixtures for someone who's played as little football as he has this season.

The home games he's played were the 2-1 win against Stoke and the 5-0 win over Brum (in which he came off the bench very early on and played his part in one of our best performances of the season)

Can't agree with that, he has more often then not played in a 3 men midfield away from home.
Away games he's been playing in

Scunthorpe (League Cup - 2 man midfield with Anderson.
Birmingham - 3 man midfield with Anderson and Carrick. Subbed off on 90 min.
WBA - Subbed on (61 min) to form a 3 man midfield with Anderson and Carrick
Blackpool - 3 man midfield with Scholes and Fletcher. Subbed at HT
Southampton (FA Cup) - 3 man midfield with Scholes and Anderson. Subbed off on 68 min.

Ah, come on, Pogue. Carrick has improved over the course of the season but when you include his performances earlier (and some, albeit less since) 'very good' is way too strong. Regardless of what the stats say, we've all seen him struggle at times this season.

Aye, he was poor early on but he's definitely been very good in recent weeks/months.

I think the biggest problem with Gibson on this board is that when people watch him, they're so focused on what he does wrong they ignore all the things he does right.

I think the lad could have a career here as a squad player, never anything more. But he could be a main main at a bottom half of the table side, especially ones that struggle with goals or play just the one up front.

I think the biggest problem with Gibson on this board is that when people watch him, they're so focused on what he does wrong they ignore all the things he does right.

I think the lad could have a career here as a squad player, never anything more. But he could be a main main at a bottom half of the table side, especially ones that struggle with goals or play just the one up front.

To be fair, it's hard to ignore the things he does wrong and they're as apparent in an Ireland shirt as they are in a United one.

If he is going to have any kind of career at United he badly needs to sort out what he does when not in possession of the football. I think his ability on the ball is hugely under-rated on here. He's not just got a thunderous shot, he's got a great range of passing.

It's just that when he's not on the ball, the game seems to pass him by. Not sure if he'll ever sort out that flaw in his game tbh.

To be fair, it's hard to ignore the things he does wrong and they're as apparent in an Ireland shirt as they are in a United one.

If he is going to have any kind of career at United he badly needs to sort out what he does when not in possession of the football. I think his ability on the ball is hugely under-rated on here. He's not just got a thunderous shot, he's got a great range of passing.

It's just that when he's not on the ball, the game seems to pass him by. Not sure if he'll ever sort out that flaw in his game tbh.

Don't get me wrong I know he does make a fair few mistakes and they are extremely frustrating, but my point is. If you individually analyse any players performances with the sole intent of point out the bad parts of their play, you'll find every player in the world is shit.

I agree 100% that Gibson's problem is not his ability on the ball, It's his positioning and work rate. If that can be sorted who knows, Fletcher was almost the opposite, had a great work rate but his ability wasn't as good.

well he is shite, I think Trapattoni should shut up, he has got no business to tell gibson what to do, its utter disrespect to Fergie......