Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Yes I haven't forgotten the assist.. I wouldn't try to take it away from him but it was as simple a pass as they come.

Look at the 2v1 scenario... where he had to actually think fast and play an early ball. He delayed... delayed... run slowly... played a shit pass.

Do you honestly think he is good enough?

I'm not using him as a scapegoat or anything - I just think he is a bit shit.

I don't particularly rate him either. I'm just sick of all the sniping, which often has feck all to do with how well or badly he actually played. He was ok tonight and deserves credit for his part in the goal. Credit I'm not surprised is lacking in all of the posts in this thread tonight.

Thought he played al right in fairness, Birmingham are no pushovers in the middle and I felt that him and Carrick more than held their own.

He did hold his own.. Against Birmingham. But he didn't create anything all game and then at the business end of the game made some costly errors. Basic mistakes that, in the end, have cost us.

He did well on the goal but was fairly sloppy in possession at times, not really stand out bad though.

Anyone thinking he cost us the win tonight is a fecking bellend.
Of course you can't say he cost us the win tonight. Their goal wasn't a Gibson own goal or anything. He did have a good chance to put the Berba through on goal, but waited and waited until every defender got back to make the pass. That would have been 2-0 and it'd be hard to imagine Birmingham to come back.

He cost us tonight when he continuously gave the ball away in the final few minutes when everyone around him was managing to close the game out well. His distribution throughout the game but most vitally in the latter stages was infuriating. But he created nothing during the game (yes he was involved in the goal but it was the easiest of passes) and seemed, as usual, somewhat of a passenger.

He created nothing but he created a goal?

Gibson didn't cost us feck all tonight either, thats shite too. He's passing tonight was good, one thing i noticed about him tonight was his 1st touch, he seems to have a good 1st touch, very aware of where his teammates are around him.

Overall for a lad thats lacking in playing time lately & for a lad that was played out of position i thought he put in a decent shift, he did well for that assist to Berbatov.

Technically limited, could be a squad player maybe.

At one point at the end of the game when we were under pressure, the ball came to him with noone near and 2-3 players around him as options to pass to and start a counter, then he takes ages to turn and finds that he took so long a defender's come rushing near him (but actually still 8 yards away), he panics and does some weird stuff with his feet and finally hoofs it right back to the Birmingham defenders.

Nice play for the goal but he hid for almost the entire match. It was like playing with 10 men.

He needs to stop doing impressions of Liam Miller. He goes missing for too long in matches, although he did well for our goal today.

He did all right. No real mistakes. He really could have won us the game though if he'd been a tad bit quicker with his bloody pass!

Love how he was the first United player on the pitch to look completely knackered despite being the only United player without a valid excuse for being knackered.

My favourite moment this time around was when he could have teed up Berbatov for a tap in, but instead decided to wait until the entire Birmingham defence had scrambled back, before booting the ball into some random cnuts legs.

I don't particularly rate him either. I'm just sick of all the sniping, which often has feck all to do with how well or badly he actually played. He was ok tonight and deserves credit for his part in the goal. Credit I'm not surprised is lacking in all of the posts in this thread tonight.

Eh I'm not sniping at him. Well maybe I am... but the topic is 'Darron Gibson - is he good enough?'.

I don't think he is, so I think it's fair game to have a dig or two at his wankiness. Especially after we've just dropped 2 points in such a frustrating fashion.

Thought he gave the ball away towards the end and didn't look comfortable in possession.

Invited alot of pressure from Brum.

Love how he was the first United player on the pitch to look completely knackered despite being the only United player without a valid excuse for being knackered.

My favourite moment this time around was when he could have teed up Berbatov for a tap in, but instead decided to wait until the entire Birmingham defence had scrambled back, before booting the ball into some random cnuts legs.

Was he the one with hands on his hips in the middle of the park around the 75th minute?? He looked fecking horrified to received the ball then so just turned and hoofed it up the pitch! That was him wasn't it?

What is it about Gibson that makes normally sensibly people talk pish? :confused:

I'm talking 'creative' in the sense that he failed again to add a bright spark to our play. He doesn't attempt clever passes or make driving runs. I don't see what he contributes?

As i've said he deserves credit for the goal and he was unlucky to be played out of position for a large portion of the game but we'd have been much more affective as a unit if we'd have had pretty much anyone else playing in the midfield. He's a bit of a nonentity.

That was the second most frustrating event of the afternoon(first one being their goal obviously). He could have played it to him six times over before he decided to actually make the pass when the whole of the city of Birmingham was in the penalty area ready to intercept the pass.

Was he the one with hands on his hips in the middle of the park around the 75th minute?? He looked fecking horrified to received the ball then so just turned and hoofed it up the pitch! That was him wasn't it?

Yep. It was appalling.

Yep, that was him.

My foot nearly went through the tv at that point...he had both Barba and Giggs unmarked and there were no Birmingham players back.

He did hold his own.. Against Birmingham. But he didn't create anything all game and then at the business end of the game made some costly errors. Basic mistakes that, in the end, have cost us.

Because Birmingham at St Andrews are so easy? They have a pretty good record at home with a solid defence and a rugged and extremely competitive mid-field which I felt Gibson and Carrick dealt with extremely diligently tonight with Anderson keeping Ferguson occupied.

Anderson was the only centre midfielder given any license to roam forward at times tonight, it was clear Carrick and Gibson were told to sit and shield the defence which they did, He can't to everything, he carried out his orders. Would you rather he disregard his duty to the team and burst forward leaving a huge hole in the middle whenever the fancy takes him?

I presume you're familiar with the concept of match-fitness?

He was pretty poor, to be honest. Though he wasn't the only one, he was certainly one of the main reasons we struggled to keep possession a lot of the time. He's not the reason we lost tonight, but I do wonder why we persist with him so much.

Some of the things he did tonight were so bad it was almost comedic. What was with the random losing the ball everytime Van Der Sar kicked it to him act? :lol:

What is it about Gibson that makes normally sensibly people talk pish? :confused:

We supporters are frustrated to see a professional playing for Manchester United showing so little drive and commitment to make up for his lack of technical skills and general know how of the game.

Other than his long range shooting, I often wonder what is the point of SAF keeping Gibson in the squad. I would take Park's international colleague, Lee Chung-Yong of Bolton over Gibson any day of the week.

Gibson needs what ever Fergie has done to Anderson, and quickly, or he'll be passed over and shown the door. His contribution to the team is poor, his finishing which has been his strong point in the past is worse than Anderson's.

A promising youngster goes astray isn't exactly a new thing with United, but watching Gibson flounder as he is, is painful.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's off in the next month. Cleverly has been much better in the league then Gibson and in an inferior side. Its pretty conclusive who should be the one at United and the one that shouldn't. He has moments where he looks good but for the majority of the games, he's completely missing. Everytime he comes on I just feel any sense of security that the midfield possess disappear.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's off in the next month. Cleverly has been much better in the league then Gibson and in an inferior side. Its pretty conclusive who should be the one at United and the one that shouldn't. He has moments where he looks good but for the majority of the games, he's completely missing. Everytime he comes on I just feel any sense of security that the midfield possess disappear.

I'm far from a fan of Gibson, but Cleverley does not play the same position as Gibson. He's a winger.

I presume you're familiar with the concept of match-fitness?

Yeah, but he just sort of died completely, and about ten minutes before anyone else. He should have been taken off as soon as he spacked up that chance to break by turning and booting the ball up the pitch to no one, despite being under no pressure.

He's match fitness might not be all that but he's supposed to be playing for United, not some pissing conference side.

He's a waste of space, offers almost nothing to the team. Clearly not good enough for United.

The assist was good but he just seems to walk around for long periods of the game.

First half he was non existent for at least 80% of the time.

I've watched Cleverly for Wigan and he looks a far more interesting prospect then Gibson at the moment. Faster, sharper, more in tune with the united way of play. Gibson seems a plodder.

Get Cleverly and Welbeck back and send Gibson and Kiko on loan and we should be fine this season.

Yeah, but he just sort of died completely, and about ten minutes before anyone else. He should have been taken off as soon as he spacked up that chance to break by turning and booting the ball up the pitch to no one, despite being under no pressure.

He's match fitness might not be all that but he's supposed to be playing for United, not some pissing conference side.

You're aware Berbatov did the exact same thing 2 minutes later? Literally just booted it straight from a throw in directly to Foster, just to let him launch it up again.

Or that he was knackered because in the 75th-85th minute he was closing down the first man, then the second man and then the third man right across the halfway line while everyone else planted themselves just outside the box. We let them take the initiative and he was the only one trying to do anything to go against that.

Gibson wasn't great today, and rarely is, but he doesn't deserve to be singled out for abuse in this game. He was ok, the disappointing thing is that's been his standard performance for us. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him move on in the summer and get us decent money, he probably needs to for his own career.

huh?

The whole midfield was a bit "meh" tonight, but out of that lot he was the best

"Doesn't make driving runs" someone just said. What the hell was that for the goal Sherlock?

I thought apart from the end when he tired, he used the ball well and didn't give it away much.

You're aware Berbatov did the exact same thing 2 minutes later? Literally just booted it straight from a throw in directly to Foster, just to let him launch it up again.

Or that he was knackered because in the 75th-85th minute he was closing down the first man, then the second man and then the third man right across the halfway line while everyone else planted themselves just outside the box. We let them take the initiative and he was the only one trying to do anything to go against that.

Gibson wasn't great today, and rarely is, but he doesn't deserve to be singled out for abuse in this game. He was ok, the disappointing thing is that's been his standard performance for us. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him move on in the summer and get us decent money, he probably needs to for his own career.

Good post, i'm glad i'm not the only one who doesn't appear to be drunk on 'dropped points'

Why does there always have to be a scapegoat? The whole team were average at best, apart from Berba who was silky smooth in the 2nd half

he's crap, the sooner we realise the better, apart from the assist, we were virtually 10 men against 11, fletcher did more in 10 minutes than he did for the time he had on the pitch.

A 5 yard sideways pass, which is probably the extent of his passing range.

A 5 yard pass that was an invaluable part in our 1 and only goal.

Credit where it is due.