Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

As for giving the ball away a lot, I think there were a lot of culprits for that - 13/51 misplaced passes by Rooney (as well as numerous poor touches), 9/28 for Anderson (so not only did he give the ball away proportionally more than anyone, he got on it far less than anyone), 14/46 Giggs, 14/53 Rafael, 15/46 Berbatov...essentially the whole team gave the ball away a feckload Carrick aside, 12/55 for Gibson isn't too shocking. The movement off the ball from everyone was a bit disappointing and the man on the ball was just constantly harassed and crowded out because they didn't have an out-ball.

You're aware Berbatov did the exact same thing 2 minutes later? Literally just booted it straight from a throw in directly to Foster, just to let him launch it up again.

Or that he was knackered because in the 75th-85th minute he was closing down the first man, then the second man and then the third man right across the halfway line while everyone else planted themselves just outside the box. We let them take the initiative and he was the only one trying to do anything to go against that.

Gibson wasn't great today, and rarely is, but he doesn't deserve to be singled out for abuse in this game. He was ok, the disappointing thing is that's been his standard performance for us. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him move on in the summer and get us decent money, he probably needs to for his own career.

Yeah, hard to disagree with that. I thought it was his standard game for us; pretty underwhelming. He wasn't particularly good but there were others more deservig of stick. It isn't easy playing the odd game when he's expected to fit in seamlessly. That said in his entire career at the club he has never put in enough (or arguably any) performances that have just demanded his inclusion in the next game. it's a bit chicken and egg. Some people believe he'd get to the required level given enough chances, others that there's not enough there to warrant him getting him the number of games needed to find out.

Yes, he's a good player, as most young players are at the club but I'm afraid I just don't see him as a United player long term. In truth we'd be doing him a favour letting him go somewhere he'll play every week which would allow him to kick on. Either that or he'll end up as a squad player who is probably always the 19th man.

You're aware Berbatov did the exact same thing 2 minutes later? Literally just booted it straight from a throw in directly to Foster, just to let him launch it up again.

Or that he was knackered because in the 75th-85th minute he was closing down the first man, then the second man and then the third man right across the halfway line while everyone else planted themselves just outside the box. We let them take the initiative and he was the only one trying to do anything to go against that.

Gibson wasn't great today, and rarely is, but he doesn't deserve to be singled out for abuse in this game. He was ok, the disappointing thing is that's been his standard performance for us. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him move on in the summer and get us decent money, he probably needs to for his own career.

Except that Berbatov was under pressure and had alternative to booting the ball aside from trying to beat three players on his own and risk losing it in his own half. Gibson was under no pressure and had both Berba and Giggs making runs into space either side of him.

I don't mean to "abuse" him...but if you're a United player, you simply have to be better than that, no matter how knackered you might be.

I get less riled by him than by our constant misuse of him, to be honest. He's not a workhorse or a deep lying playmaker, and if he's that bloody knackered get him off the same as you would anyone else.

Yes, he's a good player, as most young players are at the club but I'm afraid I just don't see him as a United player long term. In truth we'd be doing him a favour letting him go somewhere he'll play every week which would allow him to kick on. Either that or he'll end up as a squad player who is probably always the 19th man.

I've said it before, the lad should go for the sake of his own career. This bunch won't give anyone a break unless you go straight into matches giving world class performances from the time your ma shoots you out of her during child birth

You're easily impressed then.

:confused: Seriously?

I must've missed Gibson running the show with his short passing game.

I didn't say I was impressed, I said credit where it's due. He could have easily fecked the pass up but didn't and it led to our 1 and only goal.

I knew Gibson was going to cost us the game at the end when he ballooned the ball up field instead of a simple pass with 5 minutes to go. I instantly knew tha was going to cost us. You could see Rooney going bezerk with anger when he ballooned the ball up field straight to a Brummie player. His pass to Berbs was lovely for the goal but you wonder why he is still at this club!!

I knew ibson was going to cost us the game at the end when he ballooned the ball up field instead of a simple pass with 5 minutes to go. I instantly knew tha was going to cost us. You could see Rooney going bezerk with anger when he ballooned the ball up field straight to a Brummie player. His pass to Berbs was lovely for the goal but you wonder why he is still at this club!!

Oh my GOD!

How many points must he cost us before Fergie finally realizes he will never become United quality?

Didn't cost us point. People need to see the difference between costing us point and his best game being an average one.

I thought Ferguson did a mistake by keeping him on the pitch. He was awful the last 10 minutes. Berba and Rooney tracked back more.

Rooney was shite too. Can we have a thread on him being overrated please?

Oh I forgot, we're not allowed to criticise Wazza.

Have I missed something tonight? What did he do to cost us points?

Nothing at all, however if we had won 1-0 people wouldn't have given him a second thought.

We'll see a lot more of Gibson in the coming weeks what with Park on international duty.

Nothing at all, however if we had won 1-0 people wouldn't have given him a second thought.

We'll see a lot more of Gibson in the coming weeks what with Park on international duty.

God I pray this isn't the case.

During the final mins he just left Birmingham players run in front of him with the ball, I hate that.

Have I missed something tonight? What did he do to cost us points?

Well, I guess you could argue if he had passed it to Berbatov when we had that 2 on 1 situation, instead of dilly dallying around long enough for the entire Birmingham defence to get back, we may well have scored a second and Birmingham's late goal wouldn't have mattered. If that was Nani or Park playing on the left, there is a good chance we would have won 2-1.

But it's hypothetical, and even though I do not rate Gibson in the slightest, to say he cost us points is probably a bit much

How many points must he cost us before Fergie finally realizes he will never become United quality?

Not another one... He didn't cost us the points.

Yeah, Gibson had a distinctly average game. It took me a while to even recognise he was on the pitch. But credit to him for showing some improvement in the second half. His best contribution tonight was the assist to Berbatov for our opening goal. It may be a simple sideways pass but without his accuracy the chance would have gone. If anything, he helped to ensure we left the stadium with a point rather than none.

He still has a shitload more to do in the second half of the season otherwise Cleverley may be taking his place in the summer. Time will tell if Fergie thinks he's had enough opportunities.

Well, I guess you could argue if he had passed it to Berbatov when we had that 2 on 1 situation, instead of dilly dallying around long enough for the entire Birmingham defence to get back, we may well have scored a second and Birmingham's late goal wouldn't have mattered. If that was Nani or Park playing on the left, there is a good chance we would have won 2-1.

But it's hypothetical, and even though I do not rate Gibson in the slightest, to say he cost us points is probably a bit much

I got an 'omg you can't be serious John McEnroe-ing' when I suggested the exact same point.

His reaction to this thread:

Darron-Gibson-Manchester-United_2357064.jpg

Rooney was shite too. Can we have a thread on him being overrated please?

Oh I forgot, we're not allowed to criticise Wazza.

What? There's 3 threads about how overrated Rooney apparently is after every match.

I have criticized Gibson a couple of times, but this type of post is just a shame.

No one here knows more than Ferguson, if Ferguson keeps playing Gibson is because he knows that he can be a good player for Manchester United, if that goes well or not is another thing, but at least he deserves a chance.

Not another one... He didn't cost us the points.

Yeah, Gibson had a distinctly average game. It took me a while to even recognise he was on the pitch. But credit to him for showing some improvement in the second half. His best contribution tonight was the assist to Berbatov for our opening goal. It may be a simple sideways pass but without his accuracy the chance would have gone. If anything, he helped to ensure we left the stadium with a point rather than none.

He still has a shitload more to do in the second half of the season otherwise Cleverley may be taking his place in the summer. Time will tell if Fergie thinks he's had enough opportunities.

Of course he did, along with O'Shea, Neville, Evans, Kuszczak, Owen, Carrick Park and the rest of the non-world class players ... they're all in on it with their influence fields ruining the regulars' games!

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

Only joking.

God, what has he done now?

he was alright, no need to bump this

I kept thinking to myself that the only reason he was on the pitch and played out of position was that United were trying to put him in the shop window. Potential buyers please note he got an assist!

I kept thinking to myself that the only reason he was on the pitch and played out of position was that United were trying to put him in the shop window. Potential buyers please note he got an assist!

He was on the pitch to erm play football ... if it were just a selling thing Michael Owen would make him a brochure.

He may not be the best in the world
But he never had sex with your girl
so please leave Gibson alone

He may not be the next Roy Keane
But his shot is really mean
So please leave Gibson alone

He has murderous eyes many say
But what's that got to do with football anyway?
So please leave Gibson alone

When he gives interviews he seems quite cool
Quit blaming him for aids and swine flu
And just leave Gibson alone

Let Gibson have peace
Let Gibson walk the streets
Let Gibson watch Eastenders four times a week
And please.....just leave Gibson Alone

What is it about Gibson that makes normally sensibly people talk pish? :confused:

Er... the fact that normally sensible people can recognise that he's not all that?

Alright, I don't post often enough for my views to be 'backed up' with my history and whatever else... forgive me if I have a life outside the Internet - or is the cool term "The Internetz... lolz' these days? I can never keep up.

As someone said earlier, I'll support any player who pulls on that shirt for 90 mins. For 90 mins. Period. The last time I remember posting is when you started a thread about Fergie's big bollocks (after the Valencia away game) and I thought it was knee-jerk and (AFAIR) R_Nick or Feed Me or one of those two (again, forgive me for not getting on here enough to tell compulsive posters apart - although I can tell Boss and Brad ~ Cantona apart) thought I was posting anti-Fergie stuff. So enough of the armchair Top Redding. Which maybe unfair to the likes of Datura, Prateik and Samabachan, sorry you fellas.

The question is - is Darron Gibson good enough to take up a squad space in light of the regulated restrictions?

I don't think he is. And while all's well supporting SAF's decisions, thee's no reason to think the man is infallible or ever has been. (If he were, this site would simply be a piece of arse-licking. Glad it ain't so.)

For me, the first objection to Gibson starting a(n) important or decisive game is that he doesn't play 'the Man United way.' I.e. quick passing, movement, getting into positions. Yes Ronaldo (7) didn't exactly epitomise the team instructions either, but he was special. And Gibbo needs t prove he is that to be playing his own game most of the time. Yes, good assist for the goal, but the question in this thread at least, is whether he does that consistently enough to be regarded as a future star. (As say, Beckham at 12 and Giggs at 13 or 14 were, at least enough to be recognised as such by the likes of Sirs Bobby and Alex).

I would love for Gibson to nail a spot in the XI or XIV (however many you could reasonably count as 'first-teamers' ) purely because he's homegrown, but then again if (and recognising ythe fact that we have a fair few players of that ilk out for whatever reason) it isn't exactly wildly unreasonable to say he doesn't look like one of those. Even if ATM.

Gibson was as poor as the rest of the team last night.

Generally speaking, he just does not bring enough to the team, he does shine in games and does not have stand out qualities (ok, hard shooting).

Er... the fact that normally sensible people can recognise that he's not all that?

Alright, I don't post often enough for my views to be 'backed up' with my history and whatever else... forgive me if I have a life outside the Internet - or is the cool term "The Internetz... lolz' these days? I can never keep up.

As someone said earlier, I'll support any player who pulls on that shirt for 90 mins. For 90 mins. Period. The last time I remember posting is when you started a thread about Fergie's big bollocks (after the Valencia away game) and I thought it was knee-jerk and (AFAIR) R_Nick or Feed Me or one of those two (again, forgive me for not getting on here enough to tell compulsive posters apart - although I can tell Boss and Brad ~ Cantona apart) thought I was posting anti-Fergie stuff. So enough of the armchair Top Redding. Which maybe unfair to the likes of Datura, Prateik and Samabachan, sorry you fellas.

The question is - is Darron Gibson good enough to take up a squad space in light of the regulated restrictions?

I don't think he is. And while all's well supporting SAF's decisions, thee's no reason to think the man is infallible or ever has been. (If he were, this site would simply be a piece of arse-licking. Glad it ain't so.)

For me, the first objection to Gibson starting a(n) important or decisive game is that he doesn't play 'the Man United way.' I.e. quick passing, movement, getting into positions. Yes Ronaldo (7) didn't exactly epitomise the team instructions either, but he was special. And Gibbo needs t prove he is that to be playing his own game most of the time. Yes, good assist for the goal, but the question in this thread at least, is whether he does that consistently enough to be regarded as a future star. (As say, Beckham at 12 and Giggs at 13 or 14 were, at least enough to be recognised as such by the likes of Sirs Bobby and Alex).

I would love for Gibson to nail a spot in the XI or XIV (however many you could reasonably count as 'first-teamers' ) purely because he's homegrown, but then again if (and recognising ythe fact that we have a fair few players of that ilk out for whatever reason) it isn't exactly wildly unreasonable to say he doesn't look like one of those. Even if ATM.

Er... Strange rant, seeing as the post you were responding to wasn't trying to justify his place in our squad. I was simply pointing out the annoyance of a young player being consistently scape-goated whether or not the dropped points were anything to do with his own failings. He's being accused in this thread of creating nothing all game. This is patently bollox as he linked up nicely with Berbatov to create a goal. Something no other United player could manage on the night.

Gibson did ok last night but tired towards the end. That may be because, I dunno, he hasn't played a game of football in months? Unfortunately his midfield partner, who should be a lot fitter, got the hook half an hour before the end after a dire display and Fergue had no other midfielders on the bench. This is all Darron Gibson's fault, apparently. It's also his fault we dropped points. It's all Gibson's fault you see. It always is.

As for squad places, there will always be a place in our squad for one or two home-grown players who might or might not develop into a useful and loyal squad player, despite not being as talented as their more illustrious peers. I have no problem with this, although the lack of opportunities for Gibson this season would imply Gibson won't get a place next season. I've no problem with that either. I don't think he's good enough, personally, as I've always thought he only had an outside chance of a long career at United. I'm glad he's been given a fair crack of the whip though and got one more season on the back of some decent performances last season, while providing a goal threat from range that nobody else in our squad possesses.

He'll probably be off in the summer and the fans who love a scape-goat can get their knives out for another youngster instead. That's the way they roll. It's all about the blame game.