Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Not if Cleverley wanted more first team football, and a bit of PL experience before he begins his career with us...

Not if Cleverley wanted more first team football, and a bit of PL experience before he begins his career with us...

Wigan has clearly been a very good move for Cleverley. He was never going to get the opportunities with us as he is doing with Wigan. He will come back to United as twice the player and with twice the chance of making a name for himself with the club.

So Gibson starts tonight?

To be honest, I think it's now or never for the lad. I think that he'll be sold in the summer unless he does something very good between now and then, which will be very hard considering he is well down the list in terms of midfielders.

Anyway, tonight is the perfect time for him to show what he can do.

i agree with you

But I think he still might be on his way in the summer either way

A lot of the comments in reaction to him starting in the match day thread are pretty embarrasing.

He's obviously not the best and hasn't done very well this season but I still hold a little bit of hope for him. I do think it's quite likely he'll be shown the door in the Summer but i'd rather a loan deal to a Premier League side.

As for Gibson it depends on what formation we're playing - if it's 433 it could work out very nicely for him, if he's stuck out on the right you can't judge him properly because it's like us playing Anderson out on the left, it's not his role at all.

Cleverley has the talent. He could have been eased into our squad with the Carling Cup and CL easier games. Instead we are stuck with Gibson.

The loan at Wigan will have done him the world of good. He is playing week in week out and seems to be improving all the time. He was not going to get that at United. If he comes back as a better player which he undoubtedly will, then his loan move to Wigan will have been a great move.

As for Gibson it depends on what formation we're playing - if it's 433 it could work out very nicely for him, if he's stuck out on the right you can't judge him properly because it's like us playing Anderson out on the left, it's not his role at all.

He can't play on the right. Well he hasn't really been able to do so so far anyway.

Cleverley has the talent. He could have been eased into our squad with the Carling Cup and CL easier games. Instead we are stuck with Gibson.

Are you on a mission to talk blithering nonsense in every single thread this evening? Because you've done well so far.

Compare the amount of PL games started by Cleverley and Gibson this season. Now, tell me who's had the better opportunity to develop their game this season?

A lot of the comments in reaction to him starting in the match day thread are pretty embarrasing.

He's obviously not the best and hasn't done very well this season but I still hold a little bit of hope for him. I do think it's quite likely he'll be shown the door in the Summer but i'd rather a loan deal to a Premier League side.

im not his biggest fan but i think whike he is playing he should be supported

Cleverley isn't a teenager. He was ready to play for United this season and Gibson is not good enough.

Cleverly had minimal experience in the PL, he wasn't ready and the experience he now has makes him a a lot better option. Gibson, who is older and has more experience was a better option to keep around for the odd game. Sending him out on loan would only have served the purpose of putting him in the shop window, maybe at best gain a million or two. Cleverly on loan though gives us direct benefit of a player getting quite a few PL games under his belt when he returns.

Even now if Cleverly comes back, his options will be limited - just look how few games Gibson has played - you really think that would be better for United in the long run?

Edit: As far as Gibson goes - I am a big fan of supporting any player that pulls on our shirt for us but, even against Sunderland, he looked very slow to me. Not that I expect him to gain a sudden burst of speed but, chasing back on one Sunderland break, he just kind of seemed to do it half paced and didn't seem to give it that little bit extra.

He can't play on the right. Well he hasn't really been able to do so so far anyway.

I think he had one really decent game against Derby there, but that was Derby, in the Carling Cup, and it was three years ago.

I'm sure he's just happy to be getting a game to be honest.

I think everyone is already aware of his ability to score long range screamers, it's not really the issue. A good all round game is the only thing that would really start to change people's opinion of him.

He doesn't need to do anything to change my opinion of him. He's a youngish squad player who comes in and does a decent job when he gets the chance.

I think everyone is already aware of his ability to score long range screamers, it's not really the issue. A good all round game is the only thing that would really start to change people's opinion of him.

A repeat performance of the Rangers game at OT maybe, one of his last outings for us, he was arguably our best player on the pitch that night.

This Birmingham game will be a challenge for him. The way Birmingham plays - tight, in your face, press early, no time n the ball, etc, is 180 degrees to his game. He likes time on the ball, he is more deliberate, not quick footed nor quick on the move, his positional and periphery awareness still need developing. If he comes through it, he will earn my respect.

Needs to be subbed, in my opinion. This is absolutely the wrong game for him - Birmingham are giving us no time whatsoever on the ball, and Gibson has nowhere the control and composure for it. He may end up scoring a screamer for all I know, but the point stands.

I don't see the point playing him on the right. I'm sure Fergie has his reasons but I fail to see them. Has he ever had a good game playing on the right?

He's doing better than Cleverley would because he has more experience.

It's frustrating right now but next season we'll reap the benefits of Cleverley having a full season playing first team football under his belt.

It is better for his development this way.

He's had a decent enough 1st half for a lad thats not being played in his favoured position, played a few nice passes & making himself available etc.

He really fluffed that chance to make it 2-0 didn't he? That was some baywatch-esque slow motion running. Apart from that I didn't notice him, like always. I never notice him, unless he is fecking up or taking a long range shot.

I dont care if its unpopular on here i cringe everytime i see his name on the teamsheet, utterly useless.

It's far from unpopular on here. Most can see that the guy isn't good enough there's just a few who feel we're constantly after a scapegoat but the same few pop up on here constantly to stick up for him. The truth his he costs us points time and time again.

He cost us tonight when he continuously gave the ball away in the final few minutes when everyone around him was managing to close the game out well. His distribution throughout the game but most vitally in the latter stages was infuriating. He created nothing during the game (yes he was involved in the goal but it was the easiest of passes) and seemed, as usual, somewhat of a passenger.

The the thing i'll remember from Gibson in this game though has to be his attempted pass when he and Berbatov were 2 on 1 and with all the time in the world. He took forever to get control of the ball and decide what he wanted to do with it... and then played a terrible ball. It made me want to gauge my own eyes out. We need better quality in midfield than this lad.

He really fluffed that chance to make it 2-0 didn't he? That was some baywatch-esque slow motion running. Apart from that I didn't notice him, like always. I never notice him, unless he is fecking up or taking a long range shot.

You didn't notice him setting up our goal, then? You should pay more attention.

You didn't notice him setting up our goal, then?

Here's a hint. Try watching the game before offering an opinion.

Yes I haven't forgotten the assist.. I wouldn't try to take it away from him but it was as simple a pass as they come.

Look at the 2v1 scenario... where he had to actually think fast and play an early ball. He delayed... delayed... run slowly... played a shit pass.

Do you honestly think he is good enough?

I'm not using him as a scapegoat or anything - I just think he is a bit shit.

Thought he played al right in fairness, Birmingham are no pushovers in the middle and I felt that him and Carrick more than held their own.