Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

I think this is probably the worst game to draw an opinion on Gibson, even Scholes couldn't have broken down this Rangers 9 man defence.

How did you come to that conclusion? Scholes on form is miles better than any other central midfielder we have.

Well that just about sums up Gibson's game then. Get a grip? Me? Are you Gibson's Mum?

To be fair Fletcher wasnt very good either, misplaced a lot of passes rarely did anything in possession. Gibson imo was marginly better but i thought both were pretty poor tonight

Pretty much feck all. Can't make good forward passes and can't fecking hold the ball up. Why the hell Sir Alex didn't bring Anderson on when we clearly needed another midfielder not a striker.

He played a pretty good long forward pass in the first half and for the rest of the time he kept it simple. He was more mobile than usual and his shooting was our best hope of scoring all night. But don't let that get in your way of bashing him though. SAF clearly sees something in him in training.

Odd that people are critising the only player who wanted to take a shot on all night. Our most dangerous player tonight (which probably says a great deal about the rest of our players).

Unfair to critise Gibson tonight, i'm bloody happy that Cleverly hasn't got a sniff in this squad with the wankers about this place. Always the same wanting to tear our youngsters to pieces, fecking tossers frankly.

How did you come to that conclusion? Scholes on form is miles better than any other central midfielder we have.

I don't disagree with you, i just think Rangers were that organised & us having no real plan B would of meant even Scholes wouldn't of had much luck this evening either.

I think this is probably the worst game to draw an opinion on Gibson, even Scholes couldn't have broken down this Rangers 9 man defence.

I would say quite the opposite. When Giggs entered the game he had a couple of cleaver passes behind the back-5, or 9. Whatever. Scholes would have won us this game for sure.

I thought Fletcher was a class above Gibson. I agree he didn't have a good game, but no one did, and he was one who could least be singled out for having a poor game. He and Valencia. Gibson did absolutely nothing though. Apart from shoot, of course.

He can shoot, other than that I'd say he's no near United class at the moment which is a shame. What a great bonus we would have had with his long shots.

Odd that people are critising the only player who wanted to take a shot on all night. Our most dangerous player tonight (which probably says a great deal about the rest of our players).

Unfair to critise Gibson tonight, i'm bloody happy that Cleverly hasn't got a sniff in this squad with the wankers about this place. Always the same wanting to tear our youngsters to pieces, fecking tossers frankly.

Gibson's lover?

Should we not debate whether a young player might make it or not and just wait for Ferguson to sell him to Brucey?

Gibson has as much chance of being a United first choice as I have in regaining my virginity and getting it trashed by Nora Batty

Of course you did Dans, Fletcher was bloody rubbish tonight. He offered nothing going forward apart from losing the ball. But don't allow that to get in your way of throwing shit at Gibson.

Tonight was a red herring with the way the game played out.

But no, I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a player to fill out the squad if we stay at the level we're at.

How many through balls did he attempt in the whole game? Like 2-3? No wonder why hernandez eventually stops making the runs..

You sound like a whining girl.

Other than a couple of shots, what did you see Gibson do?

I started my input in this thread by talking about Gibson's lack of anything. It was the Gibson defenders who started the big comparison with Fletcher, who was miles better than Gisbon tonight, which only has the aim of deflecting the discussion away from Gibson's inadequacies toward Fletcher's performance.

Says it all really.

He played a pretty good long forward pass in the first half and for the rest of the time he kept it simple. He was more mobile than usual and his shooting was our best hope of scoring all night. But don't let that get in your way of bashing him though. SAF clearly sees something in him in training.

So he made one good pass, lost the ball countless times and took a couple of pot shots with none being on Target? He offers nothing then his long range shooting and when that doesn't work, he's effectively a low order premier league midfielder.

He's championship level for me. We'll see this confirmed next season.

Gibson's lover?

Oh feck off.

Its the same fecking thing over and over. I've defended Fletcher, i've defended Nani, Anderson and now i'm going to defend Gibson and no doubt in the near future defend Cleverly and Smalling.

It's just small time pricks like yourself who won't ever allow our youngsters to get games and continually single them out as being "shit" when the ENTIRE team struggles.

Be objective. Gibson was our only goal threat tonight. Where was Rooney, Owen, Giggs, Fletcher, Valencia, Park etc etc. Instead you point the finger at one of our most inexperienced players on the pitch. Good one mate, thats really good footballing analysis. Hell its only a matter of time before the Wolfs start turning on Fabio or Smalling.

He had one really good long pass in the 1st, but the only time he ever looks impressive is when he takes long range shots. But, it's hard to single him out when the likes of Park and Rooney were dire as well.

Is Gibson good enough? Jury is still out. He will no doubt get many more chances but i personally don't think he will make it as a first team regular.

cut him some slack, he was the only one that look like scoring for us tonight.

you could really say that about most of the team tonight

Thats not their job though. The question is what does Gibson offer? The person above it right it's a shame to see talent like Cleverley be sent out on loan because his chances are limited to player like Gibson who just have more experience.

Yeah but he is a bit crap though. All he can do is shoot from long range, I doubt he has the legs to get in a shot from closer in.

I think the reason he's getting flack is because we know players like Valencia and Fletcher are capable of delivering. Gibson's never looked anything but ordinary. I just can't see a player with such little talent making it at United.

He had one really good long pass in the 1st, but the only time he ever looks impressive is when he takes long range shots. But, it's hard to single him out when the likes of Park and Rooney were dire as well.

Is Gibson good enough? Jury is still out. He will no doubt get many more chances but i personally don't think he will make it as a first team regular.

Neither do I. But I do think he could become a useful squad player, but I can remember when Fletcher was scared crapless of the ball and would forever be passing it to scholes. Making sure to keep it very simple and not making mistakes.

Theres time for Gibson to improve and frankly, we don't really have many options at the momment.

Gibson did alright but like the player he is compared the most to ie Lampard, he is largely ineffective in a 2 man central midfield. His best matches will always be with that added cushion an extra midfielder provides.

Oh feck off.

Its the same fecking thing over and over. I've defended Fletcher, i've defended Nani, Anderson and now i'm going to defend Gibson and no doubt in the near future defend Cleverly and Smalling.

It's just small time pricks like yourself who won't ever allow our youngsters to get games and continually single them out as being "shit" when the ENTIRE team struggles.

Be objective. Gibson was our only goal threat tonight. Where was Rooney, Owen, Giggs, Fletcher, Valencia, Park etc etc. Instead you point the finger at one of our most inexperienced players on the pitch. Good one mate, thats really good footballing analysis. Hell its only a matter of time before the Wolfs start turning on Fabio or Smalling.

This ignores the fact that al I have ever seen him contribute is shots on goal. His all round game isn't good enough. He's been knocking around the first team for 2 years now and hasn't shown any progression.

Regarding me "allowing" youngsters to get games. You should know that by posting an opinion on a forum like this I am unlikely actually to have any effect on whether he gets a game or not.

You defend all players simply because they are United players. I would suggest you are the one who has a problem with being objective, not I.

Yeah but he is a bit crap though. All he can do is shoot from long range, I doubt he has the legs to get in a shot from closer in.

I think the reason he's getting flack is because we know players like Valencia and Fletcher are capable of delivering. Gibson's never looked anything but ordinary. I just can't see a player with such little talent making it at United.

If we want to have a serious discussion about Gibson, rather than the usual kneejerk scapegoating from the usual suspects, then I would say that Gibson is too focused on getting shots in. Fergies probably encouraging him to have a pop at every opportunity.
But he's actually a really good long passer, and has a good engine on him. He should just keep things simple, and just take shots as they come.

The fact is, whether the Gibson haters like it or not, Gibson will play a lot of games this season due to our lack of CMs. If he plays regularly enough then maybe he'll calm down and play a more natural game. If not, then he's out of here in the summer obviously.

I don't think he was brilliant as a central midfielder tonight, but he was certainly our biggest, and only goal threat...in terms of directing and spreading the play, creating openings, he's sort of a weaker version of Fletcher atm....younger though.