Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

You defend all players simply because they are United players. I would suggest you are the one who has a problem with being objective, not I.

:lol:

Or perhaps I can see the good points about a players abilities and recognise that they have the ability to make a contribution to United. Perhaps also I allows youngsters to have more off games because they're young and inconsitient as they don't have alot of experience... while players such as Rooney/Fletcher/Park have NO excuses.

Gibson is one of the players to come out from the game with any real credit. At least he gave it a go and tried to make the keeper work. No one else looked overly bothered and considering those are the players we'll be relying on all season is a very worrying sign. Or perhaps I should continue with your point and deflect our woeful team performance and point the blaim at an inexperience youngster. Nice one.

If we want to have a serious discussion about Gibson, rather than the usual kneejerk scapegoating from the usual suspects, then I would say that Gibson is too focused on getting shots in. Fergies probably encouraging him to have a pop at every opportunity.
But he's actually a really good long passer, and has a good engine on him. He should just keep things simple, and just take shots as they come.

The fact is, whether the Gibson haters like it or not, Gibson will play a lot of games this season due to our lack of CMs. If he plays regularly enough then maybe he'll calm down and play a more natural game. If not, then he's out of here in the summer obviously.

I've never rated him. Nothing to do with tonight. I've just never seen the talent in him. Does that make me a 'hater'?

Gibson was arguably our best player tonight. I shouldn't be surprised he ends up scape-goated by the usual spastics after a disappointing result but it would be nice if once, just once, they actually paid attention to what happened on the pitch instead of immediately lashing out at their usual targets.

I'm still waiting for the inevitable John O'Shea thread. He's got to be at fault somehow, surely?

As others have said, he actually looked like he wanted to score.

But sometimes from ridiculous positions. He was poor tonight and for me, too limited. Going forward, he doesnt offer anything except for some hard shots. I doubt he will do a "Fletcher" over the next 12 months

:lol:

Or perhaps I can see the good points about a players abilities and recognise that they have the ability to make a contribution to United. Perhaps also I allows youngsters to have more off games because they're young and inconsitient as they don't have alot of experience... while players such as Rooney/Fletcher/Park have NO excuses.

Gibson is one of the players to come out from the game with any real credit. At least he gave it a go and tried to make the keeper work. No one else looked overly bothered and considering those are the players we'll be relying on all season is a very worrying sign. Or perhaps I should continue with your point and deflect our woeful team performance and point the blaim at an inexperience youngster. Nice one.

Other than shooting, what wer ehis good points tonight?

Gibson was arguably our best player tonight. I shouldn't be surprised he ends up scape-goated by the usual spastics after a disappointing result but it would be nice if once, just once, they actually paid attention to what happened on the pitch instead of immediately lashing out at their usual targets.

I'm still waiting for the inevitable John O'Shea thread. He's got to be at fault somehow, surely?

The likes of Fletcher, Nani and Berbatov were official scapegoats on RedCafe for a long time. Poor old O'Shea never graduated from that position the way they have.

Will Gibson graduate? Time will tell.

He was alrightish today.

He's obviously not good enough to fill Scholesy's boots but that's not what United have in store for him.

The likes of Fletcher, Nani and Berbatov were official scapegoats on RedCafe for a long time. Poor old O'Shea never graduated from that position the way they have.

Will Gibson graduate? Time will tell.

sheasy however did something the other three didn't. those three didn't set the bar high as they started off being shite. sheasy in 2002 was fecking class and nary a bad word was said about him. he set the bar too high it seems, which has maybe been what's contributed to him being used as a scapegoat.

I don't think he was brilliant as a central midfielder tonight, but he was certainly our biggest, and only goal threat...in terms of directing and spreading the play, creating openings, he's sort of a weaker version of Fletcher atm....younger though.

The fact he was our biggest goal threat kind of pinpoints the weakness of the team today... And in a way his own. I would have prefered it if he had the ability to create chances for Rooney and co to finish rather than take pot shots at goal.

sheasy however did something the other three didn't. those three didn't set the bar high as they started off being shite. sheasy in 2002 was fecking class and nary a bad word was said about him. he set the bar too high it seems, which has maybe been what's contributed to him being used as a scapegoat.

That's true actually. But I still think he looks most comfortable at LB though, the position he made his name in. Which is strange obviously.

The fact he was our biggest goal threat kind of pinpoints the weakness of the team today... And in a way his own. I would have prefered it if he had the ability to create chances for Rooney and co to finish rather than take pot shots at goal.

the way fergie set up the team, it was up to rooney and the wide players to be the spark to create chances....of which they were all disasters. gibbo did his job.

"Shoot first Shoot later Shoot some more then when everyones dead ask a question or two".....a movie quote perfectly attributed to Gibson, its all he does over and over and over and over and over again, no wonder Rooney screams blue murder at him all night, the lad couldnt see a pass if it were drawn on a schematic.

the way fergie set up the team, it was up to rooney and the wide players to be the spark to create chances....of which they were all disasters. gibbo did his job.

If he expects Park to be creating chances from the wing, he's got a problem...

I'm not dissing Gibson really, he's done ok tonight. I'm just not sure yet what sort of player he's supposed to be.

"Shoot first Shoot later Shoot some more then when everyones dead ask a question or two".....a movie quote perfectly attributed to Gibson, its all he does over and over and over and over and over again, no wonder Rooney screams blue murder at him all night, the lad couldnt see a pass if it were drawn on a schematic.

You're actually pissed off at him for being our only player to pose any kind of a goal threat all night?

Wow.

What a massive spastic you are.

But to be fair to Gibson, all that intricate play around/inside the box that Rooney/Park/Chico were trying did nothing all night, only one slight chance that Fletcher then ballsed up, but that was barely a half chance.

As seen at the weekend with Scholes, all it takes is one unlucky deflection and the balls in the net. We aren't Arsenal, we shouldn't be walking the ball into the net.

He probably does shoot too much. But perhaps thats simply poor coaching?

If he expects Park to be creating chances from the wing, he's got a problem...

I'm not dissing Gibson really, he's done ok tonight. I'm just not sure yet what sort of player he's supposed to be.

He probably expected Park to tuck in and allow Fabio to give us width on the left. He would have hoped for more from Valencia and it wasn't a huge ask to expect Rooney to recreate what he did against Bulgaria by dropping deep and pulling strings and Hernandez has already proved he's got goals in him.

The team selected should have created a lot more chances than it did.

Turns out Gibson was our most potent threat. Which speaks volumes about how shit Rooney et al played - and how well Rangers defended - but should in no way be a reason to slag Gibson off. Unless you're a massive spazzer, that is.

You're actually pissed off at him for being our only player to pose any kind of a goal threat all night?

Wow.

What a massive spastic you are.

Shooting from everywhere and from all positions is not a real goal threat in my book, especially when others were in better positions infront of goal

Please don't tell me this thread has been bumped because people are slating him for tonight? He was our best player by far!

Shooting from everywhere and from all positions is not a real goal threat in my book, especially when others were in better positions infront of goal

Marked by 2 players each...

There was no way of getting through the Rangers defense when they have 9 bodies in the box for 90minutes. It was always going to be a long range deflected shot that would win us the game. Not some beautiful intricate play, the box was too crowded to do that. As witnessed by our creative players being completely useless all game.

Marked by 2 players each...

There was no way of getting through the Rangers defense when they have 9 bodies in the box for 90minutes. It was always going to be a long range deflected shot that would win us the game. Not some beautiful intricate play, the box was too crowded to do that. As witnessed by our creative players being completely useless all game.

Nothing against long range shooting, but he overdoes it while ignoring other players (not just in the middle, but out wide). He was very anonymous today and showed that he is a very limited player.

Gibson should start against Liverpool in a 3 man midfield with Scholes and Fletcher. O'Shea would be the safe option but I'd rather we went for it against Liverpool and played Rooney on the left with Nani on the right. I'm still not sure about Gibson at United and this season is his last chance saloon in my view but I'd rather go with Gibson and have Giggs as an option off the bench.

Our best player today. Distribution was better than I thought he could produce and his shots were typically threatening. And I was actually at the game.

Except for long range shooting that was mainly way off target, what did he do? His passing wasnt great nor did he create any chances or dictate play from the middle. But go on, elaborate...

So Fletcher was dicating play and Gibson was letting him down? Could have sworn Fletch gave the ball away more times than Gibson

I like Gibson more than most, but it is a worry that he's so willing to pass the ball backwards or sideways even when he isnt under pressure and could turn and play the ball forwards if he wanted to, or believed he could. He has to do a bit more with his passing. I've seen enough evidence to suggest he can play really nice long balls, like one he did tonight. And I've seen him play some nice through passes on the ground too. But not tonight.

If he's playing next to Scholes he might get away with being a backwards and sideways passer, but next to Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick or Giggs we're most likely going to suffer for it. Even if he smacks a couple into the roof of the net.

I like Gibson more than most, but it is a worry that he's so willing to pass the ball backwards or sideways even when he isnt under pressure and could turn and play the ball forwards if he wanted to, or believed he could. He has to do a bit more with his passing. I've seen enough evidence to suggest he can play really nice long balls, like one he did tonight. And I've seen him play some nice through passes on the ground too. But not tonight.

If he's playing next to Scholes he might get away with being a backwards and sideways passer, but next to Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick or Giggs we're most likely going to suffer for it. Even if he smacks a couple into the roof of the net.

He hit a couple of decent passes out to the wings early on but our movement up front was very poor.

Park and Valencia (bless him) both had stinkers and Rangers defended too deep for Hernandez to be much of a threat. He pretty much had only one option ahead of him all game, which to try and play it to Rooney's feet.

So Fletcher was dicating play and Gibson was letting him down? Could have sworn Fletch gave the ball away more times than Gibson

No one mentioned Fletcher or compared his display to Gibson's. Obviously both were poor, but this thread is about Gibson.

No one mentioned Fletcher or compared his display to Gibson's. Obviously both were poor, but this thread is about Gibson.

Nobody is writing Fletcher off as being a poor player either...

Gibson took more shots today than Scholes does in an entire season.

Needs to learn his position isn't about shooting on sight, and that he needs to pass quicker and keep the pressure on instead of wasting possession time and time again.