Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

He hit a couple of decent passes out to the wings early on but our movement up front was very poor.

Park and Valencia (bless him) both had stinkers and Rangers defended too deep for Hernandez to be much of a threat. He pretty much had only one option ahead of him all game, which to try and play it to Rooney's feet.

Even if its eye of the needle stuff, you can still get the ball in behind the defence for a striker to run onto. Giggs managed it after he came on.

My worry isnt so much that "Gibson cant pass! He cant do that!" its that actually he showed no willingness to even try it. On a day where Scholes wasnt sitting next to him so obviously he was going to have to show a bit more creativity himself.

No one mentioned Fletcher or compared his display to Gibson's. Obviously both were poor, but this thread is about Gibson.

I know but he was his midfield partner tonight and i didnt think he had a stand out game, nor did i think that our performance was hindered as Fletcher was being let down by his midfield partner. If anything i thought Gibson played a good game, better than Fletcher

Gibson took more shots today than Scholes does in an entire season.

Needs to learn his position isn't about shooting on sight, and that he needs to pass quicker and keep the pressure on instead of wasting possession time and time again.

And yet most of the time he chose to play the ball to the side to a team mate. He wasnt having shots galore, he was just shooting every 2 or 3 times there was space for him to do so.

Even if its eye of the needle stuff, you can still get the ball in behind the defence for a striker to run onto. Giggs managed it after he came on.

My worry isnt so much that "Gibson cant pass! He cant do that!" its that actually he showed no willingness to even try it. On a day where Scholes wasnt sitting next to him so obviously he was going to have to show a bit more creativity himself.

That was an absolutely sublime pass by Giggs. Which was what it was going to take to penetrate such a packed, well-organised defence. Gibson doesn't have that in his locker and never will.

The onus was on Rooney to create, with Valencia and Fabio trying to provide width and Hernandez hopefully getting on the end of something. All Gibson was expected to do was maintain possession, spread the ball from flank to flank and take a crack at goal when he had an opening. All of which he did very well. He had a good game.

That was an absolutely sublime pass by Giggs. Which was what it was going to take to penetrate such a packed, well-organised defence. Gibson doesn't have that in his locker and never will.

The onus was on Rooney to create, with Valencia and Fabio trying to provide width. All Gibson was expected to do was maintain possession, spread the ball from flank to flank and take a crack at goal when he had an opening. All of which he did very well. He had a good game.

Well I disagree with that being all he's expected to do. Thats too limited for a central midfielder playing next to Darren Fletcher.

He was definitely one of our best players despite the sideways and backwards passing.

Other than shooting, what wer ehis good points tonight?

He doesn't really have any..

He creates next to nothing and is both slow to think and a slow runner.

Despite the fact we came closest to scoring through him tonight i still think we'd have performed better had we played Giggs in a central role or Anderson.

And yet most of the time he chose to play the ball to the side to a team mate. He wasnt having shots galore, he was just shooting every 2 or 3 times there was space for him to do so.

His passing to feet was awful, so everytime he'd go to pass it, it would slow down the move anyway. The guy needs to be playing regularly, and he won't get playing time at United if he carries on like that. A loan/permanent move would be in his best interest.

His passing to feet was awful, so everytime he'd go to pass it, it would slow down the move anyway. The guy needs to be playing regularly, and he won't get playing time at United if he carries on like that. A loan/permanent move would be in his best interest.

Agreed.. He needs time to play and he shouldn't get it here as it's going to be to the detriment of our more talented/hopeful young players.

Other than taking hopeful pot shots from outside the box, I really can't see what else he brings to the team. I have mentioned this last season, he has got poor ball possession skills and absolutely no pace, plus he doesn't pick out the runs made by our forward guys. I would rather have Cleverley than him in our first team squad.

His pace is fine. Its not like he needs loads to play central midfield and he's not slow either. Maybe a bit slow to get his first touch out of his feet but other than that. Physically he's fine, technically he's fine, but if he doesnt have the mentality it'll all be for nothing. More physical and better technical players than him have found life difficult at top clubs and ultimately been failures. It'll be his attitude which decides whether he'll succeed.

His pace is fine. Its not like he needs loads to play central midfield and he's not slow either. Maybe a bit slow to get his first touch out of his feet but other than that. Physically he's fine, technically he's fine, but if he doesnt have the mentality it'll all be for nothing. More physical and better technical players than him have found life difficult at top clubs and ultimately been failures. It'll be his attitude which decides whether he'll succeed.

Nah his ability will obviously be the biggest factor.

He made one pass early on in the first half which looked quality (50-60 yard ball), but other then that it was a lot of sideways passes and pot shots on goals. That's the only time he looks quality. If the game was about long range shooting, he'd be a world class player for us. All other times you just wonder what he's bringing to the game. He doesn't put in a tackle either. Can someone actually find a single moment where he's won the ball instead of backing off?

The new Keano...feck off.

Huh? When has ANYONE called him the new Roy Keane?

Unfortunately a bunch of posters made that claim when he was in the reserves before going on loan to Wolves. I cant say I'd actually seen him then so was silly enough to think "Well maybe they know what they're talking about..."

He's heading towards 23 years of old btw. Hardly a youngster. He's had his chance at United and he's proved very little apart from he can blast the ball a few inches over or wide of the post, often.

Huh? When has ANYONE called him the new Roy Keane?

more then a few people here...just do a search of the reserves a few years back. I was a newbie then, and naively thought some of you actually knew what you were talking about. You act surprised, but it's a label that more then a few united fans and media have used.

Google. Use it. Then we'll talk.

I thought he was one of the better players tonight, but unfortunately seems to be the new whipping boy when we have a bad result.

He wasn't the worst player out there, but today has done nothing to change my mind that he only looks the business when he's taking long range shots. I'm sure we'd all be hailing him world class if one had gone in, but fact is only 1-5 even worries the keeper so we're forced to look at other aspects of his game. The team as a whole wasn't good enough so i wouldn't blame just Gibson. He did what most of us have come to expect. Take more then 5 shots on goals. Sad part is he didn't score. Other then that, what more is there to say?

He wasn't the worst player out there, but today has done nothing to change my mind that he only looks the business when he's taking long range shots. I'm sure we'd all be hailing him world class if one had gone in, but fact is only 1-5 even worries the keeper so we're forced to look at other aspects of his game. The team as a whole wasn't good enough so i wouldn't blame just Gibson. He did what most of us have come to expect. Take more then 5 shots on goals. Sad part is he didn't score. Other then that, what more is there to say?

His passing was fine, although often conservative. He was demanding the ball and tried to make things happen against an extremely well organised and overly defensive team. Not a great game to judge a player on.

His passing was fine, although often conservative. He was demanding the ball and tried to make things happen against an extremely well organised and overly defensive team. Not a great game to judge a player on.

It was very conservative...and I'm not sure what instruction he was given but he was replacing Scholes in the side. One would hope he would express himself a little more. But his movement isn't good...he didn't move into enough free spaces or look for the forward run of the strikers. This was more apparent in the first half.

In the second he actually got better because Hernandez stopped making those runs, and Rooney started to demand the ball more (and then proceed to not do much with it).

Look, I just feel he has a limited skill set. He's very good at one thing, and he tries to show that in every game. That's great. I'm all for that. But when you get a chance to play as a play maker (and one would assume that's what he was - since we had no other creative midfielder). Why not express yourself more?

I don't see the united mentality in him (except when he fires a rocket from 30 yards). The rest of the time he's a poor mans Carrick. Just looking to pass off the ball and absolve himself of responsibility.

Oh, and he doesn't tackle or impose himself in any way either. I'm still waiting to see him tackle someone and win the ball. People claim he's strong enough but i've never seen it.

Can't sleep ere,adrenaline still pumping through the veins I guess! Gonna watch the game and see where we went wrong..buzzing to be back!

Just posted that. I wouldn't fancy watching that again so soon!

I'm not his biggest fan but you can't deny that he looked the most likely to score tonight

He doesn't move or switch the play much, he struck the ball well tonight but never actually worked the keeper, I suspect when Anderson and Carrick are fit he'll move down the pecking order.

In the 2nd half he decided it would be a great idea to just have a crack from 40 yards out from an angle. It was blocked.

Shooting is all he can do, and even that he's not great at it. He goes for power and asks questions later, doesn't have the graceful striking technique of scholes.

I'm hoping Anderson can have a good run when he's back to fitness.

I have stayed away from this thread, because he's young and he's our player. Hoping he'll turn it on.
However, let me just say, he's hit a plateau and he needs to improve some and quickly. It doesn't look like he'll be sold. For some strange reason, SAF keeps giving him chance after chance...I'd rather have Cleverly stay and Gibson go, but.

Fletcher is the ball winner. So was was Gibbo's role in this game? He isn't mobile enough to motor around to break down attacks. Surely his primary purpose cant be to score goals... otherwise would would play him right on top and no need for Little Pea.

It has to be providing inventiveness in his passing and ability to read the game? I felt that this is where we are missing the guile of Scholes or another midfielder we should have brought in over the summer.

He's a player to have to play in lower-table teams and League Cup. Had Anderson been 100% fit, I think Anderson may have started.

I have stayed away from this thread, because he's young and he's our player. Hoping he'll turn it on.
However, let me just say, he's hit a plateau and he needs to improve some and quickly. It doesn't look like he'll be sold. For some strange reason, SAF keeps giving him chance after chance...I'd rather have Cleverly stay and Gibson go, but.

Because he thinks lightning will strike twice, and Gibson will be another Fletcher.

:lol::lol:

Why do people feel the need for Gibson to "go"? If you don't want him starting every match that's understandable, but I think he's a useful asset to the squad and is the only midfielder aside from scholes who is a genuine goal-threat.

He was decent yesterday considering the tactics used by rangers, definitely among the top three from our rather rusty lineup. Seemed like he had more shots off than rooney and hernandez combined

I don't know about you guys, but Gibbo certainly was the better players last night... Made a few Scholesque passes, Tried to score and was damn close to it... and he didn't give the ball away that often.

The thing is... HE still lacks understanding of the game, the positioning when it comes to a type of situation... he just doesn't' have the movement or vision of Scholes yet...

The thing where Scholes stamps his authority in MF is he can pass, yet move and find the best positions for attacking to use his shooting to his benefit... Gibbo roamed too closely to the oppositions box last night while I'd reckon being a bit behind and let Fletcher do the roaming would have been a better option.

Also, he still isn't good at close control or how to get out of bad situations yet, but certainly he had potential last night... I can't understand why he is the scape goat, we all played well and Rangers had 10 men behind the ball and were well organized.

Not that he isn't a decent striker of the ball himself but if somehow Fletcher could get Gibson's shooting ability and confidence in his shot then I am sure he could be getting double figures every season. To be honest I believe we have all seen more than enough of Gibson to be able to pass judgement. Trapattoni was very right in saying that perhaps he should consider moving to a club where he will get plenty more play time because on the basis of that display last night he is never going to be anything other than a ferocious striker of the ball.

In years gone by I don't think Gibson would have been considered United material, he is certainly not proving to be any better than the likes of Kieran Richardson, Ronnie Wallwork or Jonathan Greening

The guy sure gets an awful lot of shooting opportunities, a nice skill to have that. And none of his shots last night were from outragous positions/distances.

If his fantastic volley had gone in you'd all be sucking his cock today.

I don't have a problem with his shooting, it's fantastic so he should use it.

It's his overall game I'm worried about.

more then a few people here...just do a search of the reserves a few years back. I was a newbie then, and naively thought some of you actually knew what you were talking about. You act surprised, but it's a label that more then a few united fans and media have used.

Google. Use it. Then we'll talk.

Here's a shocking concept. How about you back up your own retarded claims?

Failing that, don't make them.