Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Really the 30 pages of this thread are evidence of his improvement. Just look back to early posts which dismissed him as "evil Carrick" and basically a Carling Cup level player. Now he has played as a starter in the European QF, scored and was one of our better players last night....and the Manchester Evening News is using quotes from him.
Carrick has done himself no favours lately. And Scholes has not been used too often and Anderson was injured......Gibson seized the chance. The club has nurtured him well and he looks level headed.
The posts which were too critical of him were over the top.
It would be over the top to suggest that he has totally arrived......but he has been one of the plus factors in this season.
If I had to list United players 1 to 30 in order of importance, Id put him at around 17-20. He is a squad player and I think will settle down to being like Fletcher, O'Shea, Brown, Phil Neville....
His biggest asset right now is that the coaching staff and Ferguson rate him.
The club seem to be bigging him up and that looks bad for Carrick.
For me ...he has a tendency to drift.....and paradoxically is committed.
I like players who show effort.

The real lesson of last night is that we nearly pulled it off.....and would have .....with 11 players. The Manager seems to have no faith in Berbatov for these big games. Being on the bench for a QF in Europe when the sole striker was clearly a fitness risk and not even directly replacing the sole striker says it all.

I think this season he has improved immensely! I think people that are judging him so harshly are basing it completely on speculation over his talent. He honestly hasnt played enough to write him off in my book. He has had lackluster performance when he started in the CC but no one played well and there was more youth surrounding him and he was playing premier league talent that doesnt have the luxury to play their youth players.

When he has played in the first team he has looked good and has shown potential. I hope he can handle being on the bench for a few more season and keep improving. He can become a very good CM.

Yep, was impressed with him yesterday. Put himself about a bit and i think the position he played, more advanced with less defensive work, suits his style to the ground.
He was however quite poor the first time he played that position (can't remember which match it was). One poor match, one good match, I'd definitely be up to seeing him get a few more chances there.

He was however quite poor the first time he played that position (can't remember which match it was). One poor match, one good match, I'd definitely be up to seeing him get a few more chances there.

West Ham away that was.

[
QUOTE=Name Changed;7853909]Homegrown implies British. Keane and Irwin would be disgusted to be described as British, because, they're not.
[/QUOTE]

You can play for the Republic of Ireland (or any other Natonal team ,which is a fact the English media should take in !!!) if you are born in the island of Ireland (like Gibson ) or have one parent of Grandparent from Ireland like Rooney ..but sadly as far Ireland is concerned he choose England
Gibson is from Derry (i think ?) which is in the North of Ireland

When he doesn't blast one in, is he out of his depth?

Nope.

Felt he provided good energy and was never afraid of trying to crack one in, in what was a overly cagey game.

He isn't there yet, that much is obvious but I personally think that he is progressing slowly, if we stick with him and show patience then we will have a player to provide good cover in our squad with a nice little weapon in his right foot as well.

Good option coming from the bench, has a good shot on him and isnt too slow. Anyway that while Hargo and Anderson isnt available.

Thought he did decent today. Thought he was unlucky to come off instead of Giggs actually.

Our worst performer today for me. If united had had a poor first half, he would have taken the brunt of the complaints I think - luckily for him, united played well whilst he was on the pitch (which actually makes him sound effective). Really poor first touch and looked out of his depth or the event over took him maybe. When Fletch was at his stage, he was a lot more threatening when closing down and coming away with the ball - aside from his shooting abilities, i've yet to see what keeps Gibson in the 1st team.

Our worst performer today for me. If united had had a poor first half, he would have taken the brunt of the complaints I think - luckily for him, united played well whilst he was on the pitch (which actually makes him sound effective). Really poor first touch and looked out of his depth or the event over took him maybe. When Fletch was at his stage, he was a lot more threatening when closing down and coming away with the ball - aside from his shooting abilities, i've yet to see what keeps Gibson in the 1st team.

Gibson is always a goal threat. That is why he is used by SAF. With SAF, if you can score goals, he fecks cares about what you can't do. Why do you think SAF catered for Ronaldo's lack of tracking back?
Anyway, today, Giggs was the worst performer, it all depends on the prism you are looking through.

Thought he did decent today. Thought he was unlucky to come off instead of Giggs actually.
Gave away the ball in dangerous situations and we were lucky not to be punished for it.

Did put in an alright display but was certainly one of our poorest performers.

I think his long range shooting is taking some of the attention off the parts of his game that aren't so good. The problems start in games like today's, where he can't get the ball into the sorts of positions to let fly, and he ends up trying to force it. His use of the ball was poor enough today, and his Carrick-esque trait of needing an age on the ball is worrying.

I hope I'm eventually made to eat my words, but I don't think he has enough to be a Manchester United footballer in the long term. At least in terms of playing regularly as a first choice.

I thought he was defensively sound, but failed to give Rooney support quick enough and didn't really impose himself on the game well enough. His off the ball movement will need to improve if he is to play the attacking role in a midfield 3 more frequently.

I thought he did ok today, he certainly didn't stand out as poor or struggling IMO. Truth was I never felt we were likely to concede or that any of our players were having less than 6 out there.

It was a packed midfield, and honestly only Scholes stood out in midfield today. Not a poor game, maybe just a tad below average.

I think his long range shooting is taking some of the attention off the parts of his game that aren't so good. The problems start in games like today's, where he can't get the ball into the sorts of positions to let fly, and he ends up trying to force it. His use of the ball was poor enough today, and his Carrick-esque trait of needing an age on the ball is worrying.

I hope I'm eventually made to eat my words, but I don't think he has enough to be a Manchester United footballer in the long term. At least in terms of playing regularly as a first choice.

100% agree.

Do you think he will still be here next season, and if so, how much will he play?

He's 23 this year.

Do you think he will still be here next season, and if so, how much will he play?

He's 23 this year.

Its a interesting point, with Anderson likely to stay, OH fit and perhaps the arrival of a new midfielder you would think his playing time would drop but who knows SAF put a lot of faith in him this season so i reckon he will stay

He's 23 this year.

After scholes, he has shown the potential to get goals and that's priceless. 6 or 7 in 12 or so apps and some big goals too. That is absolutely priceless for us. He's not there yet but the only way you will have a chance of getting there, is to play. What he does next season could determine his long term future. You never know. I bet people thought Mark Robbins would come through. We'll see

After scholes, he has shown the potential to get goals and that's priceless. 6 or 7 in 12 or so apps and some big goals too. That is absolutely priceless for us. He's not there yet but the only way you will have a chance of getting there, is to play. What he does next season could determine his long term future. You never know. I bet people thought Mark Robbins would come through. We'll see

The problem I see is that he will have to improve the other parts in his game so massively, that he might not make it after all. His shooting from everywhere is annyong as well. IMO, he is too limited and its unlikely that he will make it as a top class United midfielder. After all, he would have to replace Scholes

Depending on potentially new signings and injuries/suspensions I reckon he could get 30+ games next season.

Appearances (starts/goals)

2008/09: 14 (9/3)
2009/10: 23 (12/5)

Fergie already stated Gibson could get us 12-15 goals from central midfield, so I expect him to be an important squad player next season.

Dont think he has a choice really. Needs to carry his promising form and goal threat into a full season. Confident he will though.

Come on Gibbo

All he offers is a somewhat inconsistent shot that occasionally works out for him, no matter how good you can strike a ball you need to have more to your game than that imo. And actually use other parts of your game rather than just shooting from 30 yards whenever you get the ball.

Hope he kicks on next season. He's got one very good strength. Now he needs to develop the other aspects of his game as well. If Fergie has confidence that I'm willing to as well. Next season should tell us just where how much integral he's going to be for us in the future (especially since Giggs and Scholes will probably retire at the end of 2011)

He is capable of passing it every bit as well as Scholesy, as I have said consistently in this thread, and that will only come with time and experience. A midfielder who can pass and shoot to a high standard should be useful enough at an absolute minimum, once he learns more about his game. He's also proved with the performance v Bayern that he's capable of stepping up when needed.