Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

I dont think Carrick has the "full package" either. He has no balls whatsoever.

I dont think Carrick has the "full package" either. He has no balls whatsoever.

True true, I mean ask yourself, what will Vidic have done infront of Robben? Carrick chickened out and tried keep the balll from hitting him. I really don't fault him alone for the goal, but that is not how you block a potential goal bound shot.
Vidic would have dove head first. :lol:

Really good performance from Gibson today. He looked mobile, passed the ball well and displayed his customary goal threat.

I don't understand how there is any more debate. He scores with great regularity from his midfield post and slots seamlessly into many of our tactical systems. He's young, hungry and British. He's shown improvements in the past 12 months and has scope for more. Where is the downside?

He's from Ireland actually. So he's not British

He looks better than Carrick at the moment

I just wish he was that bit more mobile

I've thought the same for awhile but somehow he seemed far more mobile than usual today.
That advanced midfield role seems to work pretty well for him in the 433. It seems like he it accentuates his positives. Perhaps it's just been awhile and I know the comparisons are that he's Carrick-like but I dont think he has the full package (:lol:) just yet.

Some great goals this year mind.

The role he had today hides most of his negative traits and his tendency to bomb forward does help with a lone striker.

Even if he only ends up being a poor man's Lampard, he could be a useful squad player in the long run.

Gibson rallies reeling Reds

Stunned Manchester United are ready to get their campaign back on track against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park on Sunday.

The Reds are reeling from their Premier League title setback against Chelsea and the European Cup quarter final KO against Bayern Munich.

But goalscorer Darron Gibson insists the champions will not let the season collapse with five games to go.

Although Chelsea are in the title box seat Gibson says United still have the stomach for a scrap.

"I cannot describe the disappointment but we have to pick ourselves up for Blackburn Rovers on Sunday. We are still in the race for the title," he said.

"We cannot lie down and let the whole season go. It is either that or we stand up and fight and go for the championship.

"We have the experience in the dressing room to stand up and fight back. There are lads in there who have been in this position before and done it before.

"We have the characters and experienced players to pick ourselves up. I think we will be all right."

Gibson's third minute opener set United up for a sensational 3-0 lead against Bayern.

But an Ivica Olic goal minutes before half time gave the Germans heart and Rafael's second half sending off wrecked the Reds game plan.

"Any team would think they were going through when you are 3-0 up on the night. The whole stadium and probably the whole world must have thought we were going through," the Irishman added.

"It was through silly mistakes that we allowed them to score. Rafael's sending off was obviously a massive turning point.

"They had an extra man and we have had to sit back and defend. We were put under a lot of pressure.

"We've played a lot of games so the lads were getting tired.

"We had been working on tempo a lot in training this week and closing down and pressing.

"It worked unbelievably in the first half. But Rafa getting sent off killed it for us. It is mixed feelings for me. I would rather not have scored and gone through. We are devastated."

Gibson rallies reeling Reds - Manchester Evening News

Gibson was excellent - I am not suprised he was picked to play as he's been improving for me every time I've seen him...... I think he'll be a "Fletch" - he'll just grow into the team and establish himself.....and what a good shot he has on him too....

Did all he could I thought yesterday.....one of the +s

Played superbly, hope he gets another shot at playing behind Rooney again this season. Possibly against City away.

Yep, was impressed with him yesterday. Put himself about a bit and i think the position he played, more advanced with less defensive work, suits his style to the ground.

Homegrown implies British. Keane and Irwin would be disgusted to be described as British, because, they're not.

Well, it's a good job they've never heard me say it then.

I'm not getting into the politics of it all. Gibson's mentality and upbringing will have been extremely similar to that of a homegrown, British based player.

Homegrown implies British. Keane and Irwin would be disgusted to be described as British, because, they're not.

Also, I don't think a player HAS to be British to be considered homegrown. I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that a foreign lad, if at the club from an early enough age, can classify as homegrown.

Gibson rallies reeling Reds
"I cannot describe the disappointment but we have to pick ourselves up for Blackburn Rovers on Sunday. We are still in the race for the title," he said.

"We cannot lie down and let the whole season go. It is either that or we stand up and fight and go for the championship".

Nice quote from him that, let's hope that feeling runs throughout the squad

shame that gibson is an ulsterman who also qualified and chose to play for the republic. He holds a uk passport and is as British as I am. I'm regularly surprised by some peoples lack of knowledge.

shame that gibson is an ulsterman who also qualified and chose to play for the republic. He holds a uk passport and is as British as I am. I'm regularly surprised by some peoples lack of knowledge.

He clearly regards himself as Irish or he wouldn't have chosen to play for Ireland. No player from Ulster would play for the Republic if he regarded himself as British.

He clearly regards himself as Irish or he wouldn't have chosen to play for Ireland. No player from Ulster would play for the Republic if he regarded himself as British.

What's what he regards himself as got to do with it? He's British, fact. And could it be that he figured he'd have more chance of success playing for the republic. I'm not sure which of his parents is Irish but a lot of players seem to opt for the country of one or both parents birth.

What's what he regards himself as got to do with it? He's British, fact. And could it be that he figured he'd have more chance of success playing for the republic. I'm not sure which of his parents is Irish but a lot of players seem to opt for the country of one or both parents birth.

what does it matter? I'm English but my dads irish and mums English. I still support Ireland over England every day of the week. England needs to learn how to be humble which will never happen. Gibson obviously feels more irish then English and he wanted to play for the republic. His choice.

Who cares?

As a convention, the Irish lads have always been bracketed alongside their "British" counterparts at United.

Fine: British and Irish players. Better?

what does it matter? I'm English but my dads irish and mums English. I still support Ireland over England every day of the week. England needs to learn how to be humble which will never happen. Gibson obviously feels more irish then English and he wanted to play for the republic. His choice.

Exactly, and feed me, I was just correcting an inaccuruacy that was being argued over. I don't care if he comes from Timbuktu.

While I don't think he was as good last night as some are suggesting on here, I liked his energy - he was full of running -, as well as desire to get stuck in.

Whether he'll make it and ''come off age'' is up to him, but he certainly has the attributes.

Hes feckin Irish full feckin stop. Idiot. He holds an Irish passport like any other Irish Citizen. I was born in the north of Ireland and I'm 100% irish FACT, as is Darren Gibson.

What a statement to make - I suggest you live in the wrong country then mate.

As for Gibson, who cares why he plays for R.Ire and not N.Ire.... at least he's an actual "Irishman" and not a plackie like Townsend, Holland, Houghton, Cascarino etc......

His improvement is steady rather than spectacular and he has really surprised me. Next season could make or break him here. Hope it works for my fellow Derry man, must mention to RHD that it will be a while before any Tyrone men play for us

His general passing I think needs to be improved before he can hold a place down as does his general awareness of play. He has an excellent shot on him though, I reckon up there with Gerrard and Lampard with his long shooting distance. If he can improve the rest of his game he could be getting 10+ goals a season from central midfield which is very good.