Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

He has not by a long stretch translated his passing ability to the senior team - he is capable of extremely accurate passing off both feet. In fact, the player I'd compare his passing to is probably actually Michael Ballack, and if he could become half the player a fit and motivated Ballack has been, I wouldn't be complaining...

Gibson just needs to find a level of consistency, he was ace in the reserves.

Showed against Bayern in the first half that he can take the game to the opposition

A bit of patience and support, he could go a long way

Gibson just needs to find a level of consistency, he was ace in the reserves.

Showed against Bayern in the first half that he can take the game to the opposition

A bit of patience and support, he could go a long way

Think he'll become a decent premiership player, but never a top class player good enough for a regular spot in one of the top teams.

Think he'll become a decent premiership player, but never a top class player good enough for a regular spot in one of the top teams.

In fairness, don't think you can say that. Remember Fletcher?

He looks the type that drives forward, like a bull. In that respect, bit like Keane. He needs a couple more seasons to mature and then we'll see if he's average or a bit more than that.

Darren Gibson is good enough, As are all our players. We picked him to do a job against Bayern Munich. Score from midfield which he duly obliged. I'm all for our youth now. Anderson will take over from Scholes next year as well. You heard it here first.

I thought he was poor at Wolves and City away. A goal against Bayern, but also a quiet performance.

I do not think he is good enough. Kevin Nolan is a goal getter from midfield, but lacks any real physical or technical qualities. I think Gibson is same.

Yeah but that description fits Fletcher to a T as well.

He is - any team right now would put a bundle of cash in for him if he would become available but, unlike your cpatain, he is loyal to the club that developed him into the player he is and isn't looking to go anywhere.

Wenger recognized his importance to United after the game at OT and started the stupid games in the press which worked for refs to target him. Wenger would never have bothered if he was just some average player.

Im not sure the question is appropriate, the few games his played he's looked like a lad with loads of talent. What he need to do is keep working on his game, i think when people look at the Gibsons of the world they look at Rooney. Now we all know that Rooney is naturally gifted.

Give him a break and let him develop his game, not too long ago we had the same thoughts about a chap called "Fletcher" and look how important he had become to the team.

That same principal applies to every single player in the squad. That does not mean they are all good enough.

I know, this is a very annoying subject. It has already been discussed in this thread I think.

So annoying to make player comparisons ... such a ludicrous thought that 2 players in similar situations would be compared.

So annoying to make player comparisons ... such a ludicrous thought that 2 players in similar situations would be compared.

Richardson, Wallwork, Jones. 3 players that could play in a similar position. 3 players that some said had so much potential. 3 players that didn't make it at United.

For every Fletcher, there are 10 others with potential that don't make it. We could easily compare Gibson to Richardson. But it's Fletcher that is chosen to compare Gibson to.

Just because Fletcher turned out to be a quality player does not mean that Gibson will do the same. We could use this argument for every single player that comes through the ranks at United. We should keep Possebon because Fletcher made it. We should keep Eikrim because Fletcher made it. We can go on and on.

If Gibson does make it as a regular at United, it'll be because of merit and for his own abilities, and not because of Darren fecking Fletcher.

Fletcher and Gibson's youth career's were different.

For years, Fletcher was talking about as being an outstanding talent, the new "Beckham". From what I've read, Ferguson and other staff had huge hope for him, but a bad injury curtailed his rise at the time. He still probably hasn't evolved into everything they had hoped.

Gibson was never talked of in that kind of way. As far as I recall, he was always a steady reliable player but not one who was spoken about in the way Fletcher was.

Other players with similar levels of ability/potential would be more suitable to comparing with Gibson that Fletcher is.

I thought he was poor at Wolves and City away. A goal against Bayern, but also a quiet performance.

I do not think he is good enough. Kevin Nolan is a goal getter from midfield, but lacks any real physical or technical qualities. I think Gibson is same.

Striking a football is a technical quality. He can also make a very nice pass now and again. And he wins the ball quite well.

Fletcher and Gibson's youth career's were different.

For years, Fletcher was talking about as being an outstanding talent, the new "Beckham". From what I've read, Ferguson and other staff had huge hope for him, but a bad injury curtailed his rise at the time. He still probably hasn't evolved into everything they had hoped.

Gibson was never talked of in that kind of way. As far as I recall, he was always a steady reliable player but not one who was spoken about in the way Fletcher was.

Other players with similar levels of ability/potential would be more suitable to comparing with Gibson that Fletcher is.

Gibson was our best midfielder in the reserves prob for a 2-3 year period. Have a look at the quality of some of the goals he scored

I think he's definitely going to get chances this season, big chances, up to him to take them.

Tell you something else for free, IF the bloody referee hadn't got in his way, he would have hammered home a 2nd goal in the Bayern match and we would be sitting here now debating whether he starts the CL final

The goal against Bayern was also a result of very poor keeping. It could and should have been stopped. And like someone else mentioned the rest of the game he was very quiet.

Is he good enough? No.

Could he be one day. Maybe. Depends on how well he does next season.

On the surface there is nothing to indicate he's anything close to being special.

He has some qualities, such as excellent at dead ball situations. Corners is something e have struggles with really since Becks left.

I not convinced that he's gonna be Utd quality yet, but give him a bit more time to bed in and we'll see....

He has some qualities, such as excellent at dead ball situations. Corners is something e have struggles with really since Becks left.

I not convinced that he's gonna be Utd quality yet, but give him a bit more time to bed in and we'll see....

Maybe, wouldnt want to tempt SAF with a decent bid mind you

I see him having a bigger role next season. If he continues to improve, could be a useful player for us for many years. He'll never be as good Paul Scholes, and he might never be quite as good as Fletcher. But still...could be very, very useful.

Richardson, Wallwork, Jones. 3 players that could play in a similar position. 3 players that some said had so much potential. 3 players that didn't make it at United.

For every Fletcher, there are 10 others with potential that don't make it. We could easily compare Gibson to Richardson. But it's Fletcher that is chosen to compare Gibson to.

Just because Fletcher turned out to be a quality player does not mean that Gibson will do the same. We could use this argument for every single player that comes through the ranks at United. We should keep Possebon because Fletcher made it. We should keep Eikrim because Fletcher made it. We can go on and on.

If Gibson does make it as a regular at United, it'll be because of merit and for his own abilities, and not because of Darren fecking Fletcher.
I just don't understand why do you need to be so negative about it. Nobody said he would definitely make it like Fletcher did. All people are saying is have a bit of patience. We know that a midfielder takes a while to grow into that role. Barry, Milner, Carrick, Fletcher.. they all took a while to establish themselves in the middle. Give the guy a break. Same goes to Ando. If he doesn't make it, fair enough. But if he does, we'll reap the rewards. We have Scholes, Fletcher, Carrick, Hargreaves(when fit) ahead of him along with Ando.

Having said that he really does need to show more other than having a great shot on him. But Fletcher aside from his running around wasn't all that until a few seasons ago.

if, and only if, he continues to improve he could develop into a new Carrick. If that's the case, then we may well see Carrick moving on...

Similar situations yes, but different players. Lets sign Richardson back and refuse to write him off until he becomes as good as Fletcher.

You are being ridiculous. Richardson got to play games before he got shipped off.

Fletcher got to play games and he eventually developed into a top player and thus stayed

Gibson - the jury is out till he plays more games because he isn't one of those players that you can tell that he just won't be good enough. There are lots that do fall into that category but, Gibson isn't one of them to me. Seems to be the same line of thinking from Fergie.

He doesn't need to be brilliant or the next Soandso. Strong, reliable and consistent and a shooting threat will do for now.

The goal against Bayern was also a result of very poor keeping. It could and should have been stopped. And like someone else mentioned the rest of the game he was very quiet.

Is he good enough? No.

Could he be one day. Maybe. Depends on how well he does next season.

On the surface there is nothing to indicate he's anything close to being special.

He was actually excellent in that match against Bayern, first time he looked like a proper Manchester United player. His progress this season has been quite remarkable actually, from a player who played poorly for Wolves in Championship, he has been decent for us so far. Think he can develop as a a handy squad player for us in the future