Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Still has some way to go but there were promising signs tonight. The more he plays in these kind of fast paced, high quality games the more he will learn.

He played a great first time, sweeping pass from the left wing towards Nani at one point in the 2nd half. Some tidy passes and quite good work rate.

He is good enough to remain in the team but not enough to command a first team place. I think that the midfield needs a revamp. Id keep Fletcher, Gibson and Anderson and get rid of the rest.

did well tonight, better than i had expected of him in terms of general play and closing down. Performances like tonight definitely give hope for his potential

The good thing for me with Gibson, is that he gives us a midfield goal threat. I know other areas of his game need working on, but one thing you can guarantee is that he'll get forward and is prepared to have a crack at goal.

That's a good sign for someone of his age and hopefully he gets more chances to shine and takes them. We could really do with a midfielder getting us even 10-15 goals a season in all competitions.

He scored a vital goal and never stopped chasing the ball. I wish he would have offered a bit more in terms of passing and controlling the game, but fair play to him. He shouls stay, and lets see how far it will bring him.

I doubt he will make it as a first class player, but he might become a good squad player

Guys if you have read my posts about Gibson you will know I always believed in him, but don't look at his performance tonight and start wanking just yet, he was no doubt excellent, but we are still going to see a lot of frustrating performances from him in the future. He will take his time, he needs to gain some vital experience and get consistency. So I think we should still go out this summer and get a proper attacking midfielder.

He's never going to be first choice, but he didn't look out of place tonight, and is the kind of solid squad player that have been so vital to us over the years. I certainly wouldn't worry too much if I saw his name on the team sheet.

He can keep the ball better than Carrick. And he is our best corner taker by miles and our best player from long distance. I don't think he's a first teamer but a good option to have.

He looks better than Carrick at the moment

I just wish he was that bit more mobile

feck's sake Brad, I'm 40 years old, beer bellied to feck and even I'm better than Carrick at present. I might not be able to run 10.25 km in 80 minutes (I wouldn't be far off though) but I'm a damn sight sharper and more motivated than Carrick has been all season. We'd have been better off playing Danny Drinkwater tonight instead of Carrick, a very similar player and one I've had the opportunity to follow closely, one who is having a superb second half to his season. If Carrick doesn't get his shit together quickly his days at United will be over.

feck's sake Brad, I'm 40 years old, beer bellied to feck

Can't argue with that :D

Yeh it's been a poor response from Carrick this season to what happened at the end of last. I don't think he's a shot player, but there's clearly something going on there because he isn't the man he was two years or so back

Impressive from Gibson though, there's a hell of a lot he can improve upon, but it's tough coming into the side cold like that, and he does look the part. I think that cracking shot he has on him masks a few limitations in his game

He had a solid game tonight, battled hard, got forward well and didn't lose the ball cheaply. I think he'll be a good squad player for us.

Did well today, lots of energy and provides a goal threat, which is delightful.

Gibson is fantastic. I remember a few standout youth performances from him about 4 years ago, and thinking that this kid will probably make it at United. Now I'm quite sure he has a long term future at OT.

He may not be the complete midfielder, but there is undoubtably potential there. Having a midfielder who can score, or at least test the keeper, on a regular basis is something that we have been lacking since Scholes started his transition to a deeper role. I thought he did well tonight, looked very energetic in the middle in the first half and was clever in the way he waited for the defender to block the keepers view before he unleashed his shot. I feel more confident about seeing his name on the team sheet with every performance

Really good performance from Gibson today. He looked mobile, passed the ball well and displayed his customary goal threat.

I don't understand how there is any more debate. He scores with great regularity from his midfield post and slots seamlessly into many of our tactical systems. He's young, hungry and British. He's shown improvements in the past 12 months and has scope for more. Where is the downside?

Really good performance from Gibson today. He looked mobile, passed the ball well and displayed his customary goal threat.

I don't understand how there is any more debate. He scores with great regularity from his midfield post and slots seamlessly into many of our tactical systems. He's young, hungry and British. He's shown improvements in the past 12 months and has scope for more. Where is the downside?

He doesn't have a fancy name.

More mobile than I can remember.

I thought he was a good inclusion today because he is one who can get a goal from distance and did. He should have had another if the fecking ref wouldn t have screened. Overall decent though, he didnt look intimidated by Munich, but overall his game is just not good enough to impose much on a team other than his shooting prowess at the moment.

That advanced midfield role seems to work pretty well for him in the 433. It seems like he it accentuates his positives. Perhaps it's just been awhile and I know the comparisons are that he's Carrick-like but I dont think he has the full package (:lol:) just yet.

Some great goals this year mind.